IU - Purdue Post Game thread

46 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Franklin's had his moments...Notre Dame comes to mind...and I'll bet that he's taken more charges this year than the rest of the team combined...

He's a work in progress, that I'll grant you, but factor in defense and hustle, I see a bright future for Armaan...

You just looking to clear schollies so Luke can get a ride? 😉

Lol ...I’m actually ok with these shots if it keeps our mind off the current four game streak 😂.......I guess with Franklin you make a fair point on effort level , my disappointment probably stems from being force fed on his shooting talents and that not even slightly materializing other than ND ( which was huge I agree ).

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Agreed about what we need ...but can’t say franklin has been a bright spot to this point did you mean rob ?

I guess I'm already looking to the future. I've always liked Rob, but he seems to not be fully recovered yet. I think Franklin has a really good feel and will reall mature into the system.

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Amazon just added the movie Blue Chips to Prime.  I just watched that opening scene with Nick Nolte and I recommend everyone does.  It really hit a spot.  I think that’s exactly where we are as a program right now.  Hopefully we can right the ship.

So you want us to go pay for Shaq and Penny Hardaway and give a tractor to Matt Nover.  The only part of that movie I liked was seeing Bobby Hurley in an IU uniform.

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So you want us to go pay for Shaq and Penny Hardaway and give a tractor to Matt Nover.  The only part of that movie I liked was seeing Bobby Hurley in an IU uniform.

No not at all.  But I don’t think our administration should handicap us the way it does.  I don’t ever want to pay players, bring in hookers, or fake classes but almost everything else should be on the table.

13 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Amazon just added the movie Blue Chips to Prime.  I just watched that opening scene with Nick Nolte and I recommend everyone does.  It really hit a spot.  I think that’s exactly where we are as a program right now.  Hopefully we can right the ship.

Random but did you know Painter was in that movie? Played for the other team. 

30 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Amazing movie ...the people who put that together were clearly forward thinkers

4 hours ago, IU878176 said:

I rewatched the last 5 minutes of the first half because the sadistic side of me wanted to know what happened.  In real-time it was obvious we let things slip away but I did not know the collective sequence of events.

A recap:

IU was up 28-25 with 3:30 to go. Each team had 6 possession from that point.

PU’s 6 possessions

Made a 3

Made a 3

Made a 2

Made a 2 that followed a miss and offensive rebound

Missed a 3

Made a 2

6 possessions, scored in 5 of them, no turnovers, rebounded 1/2 of their misses.

IU’s last 6 possessions

Missed 3 taken by Rob

Missed 3 by Hunter followed by missed 2 by Green

TO - Davis illegal screen

TO- Coming out of timeout Brunk is subbed in and turns it over

Missed 2 by Green

TO- Rob travel.

6 IU possessions, all 6 were empty, 3 To’s, rebounded 1/4 of our misses (actually it was Davis throwing the ball at the PU players feet).

Essentially both the offense and defense were less than optimal as we did not stop them (PU scored in 5-6 possessions and shot 5-7) while we came up empty in all six possessions shooting 0-4 with 3 turnovers. TJD was in for the first 3 of the 6 possessions. He only touched the ball once when he caught a pass 3 feet past the top of the key. He was on the bench, resting up for halftime, during the last three possessions.

Were the travel and screen good calls? ESPN steadfastly refused to show replays of anything I cared about, but watching it live, I didn't see either of those happen. Did they?

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

I guess I'm already looking to the future. I've always liked Rob, but he seems to not be fully recovered yet. I think Franklin has a really good feel and will reall mature into the system.

This team has good players. The problem is... they aren't always playing good. 

I am going to avoid the get rid of Archie  post. One because that’s doesn’t help anybody at this time and two, it’s not going to happen! I do wish someone that can get close to Archie would find out what it is he is trying to do. The team is in muck again this year. We look slow we miss shot after shot. We are back turning the ball over at the times we need to score the most. Most are lazy passes. Are passes thrown at your feet. That’s fixable things, where are your coaches. 
it wasn’t a turn over ,but I came unglued when Green with time running out was still dribbling at the top of the key then threw that poor slow behind the back bounce pass to Race who had to hurry his shot to beat the clock. Is that really the best he could do . Race was open for awhile. He dribbled across the top of the key to set up that crappy pass. Way to go senior, that’s how you win! Throw him the ball earlier and quicker and maybe he can do something with it. 

12 hours ago, milehiiu said:

This team has good players. The problem is... they aren't always playing good. 

Well said Mile....I'm almost 52 years old and have had the pleasure of watching many good IU players AND IU teams through the years. Respectfully, you are my senior and have seen more.

As you said, "This team has good players"....however something is missing, or better yet, several things are missing. You don't have to have great players to be good,....you need good players to be great! This team is missing a respected, vocal leader. I'm not talking about Coach Miller. This team lacks passion, grit, toughness and most importantly, UNITY. A coach without his teams total "BUY IN" or backing is a sinking ship. It sort of reminds me of a string of lights, when one or two bulbs are out, the entire string does't work!!!

18 hours ago, IU878176 said:

I rewatched the last 5 minutes of the first half because the sadistic side of me wanted to know what happened.  In real-time it was obvious we let things slip away but I did not know the collective sequence of events.

A recap:

IU was up 28-25 with 3:30 to go. Each team had 6 possession from that point.

PU’s 6 possessions

Made a 3

Made a 3

Made a 2

Made a 2 that followed a miss and offensive rebound

Missed a 3

Made a 2

6 possessions, scored in 5 of them, no turnovers, rebounded 1/2 of their misses.

IU’s last 6 possessions

Missed 3 taken by Rob

Missed 3 by Hunter followed by missed 2 by Green

TO - Davis illegal screen

TO- Coming out of timeout Brunk is subbed in and turns it over

Missed 2 by Green

TO- Rob travel.

6 IU possessions, all 6 were empty, 3 To’s, rebounded 1/4 of our misses (actually it was Davis throwing the ball at the PU players feet).

Essentially both the offense and defense were less than optimal as we did not stop them (PU scored in 5-6 possessions and shot 5-7) while we came up empty in all six possessions shooting 0-4 with 3 turnovers. TJD was in for the first 3 of the 6 possessions. He only touched the ball once when he caught a pass 3 feet past the top of the key. He was on the bench, resting up for halftime, during the last three possessions.

Awesome recap and thank you. Whole game changed during this stretch. Purdue maxed out their chances while we didn't score and and turned it over. Set the mood for rest of our game. 12-0 runs should never happen at home, should never happen at home during a rivalry game....and most certainly never be the way an half should end at home during a rivalry game. 

1 hour ago, Bob said:

I am going to avoid the get rid of Archie  post. One because that’s doesn’t help anybody at this time and two, it’s not going to happen! I do wish someone that can get close to Archie would find out what it is he is trying to do. The team is in muck again this year. We look slow we miss shot after shot. We are back turning the ball over at the times we need to score the most. Most are lazy passes. Are passes thrown at your feet. That’s fixable things, where are your coaches. 
it wasn’t a turn over ,but I came unglued when Green with time running out was still dribbling at the top of the key then threw that poor slow behind the back bounce pass to Race who had to hurry his shot to beat the clock. Is that really the best he could do . Race was open for awhile. He dribbled across the top of the key to set up that crappy pass. Way to go senior, that’s how you win! Throw him the ball earlier and quicker and maybe he can do something with it. 

Had the exact same reaction ...we have horrific passing all around ....penn state enjoyed it 

16 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Rob is healthy.  He is just not as good as everyone thought he could be. Does he turn the corner next year, maybe?  But i wouldn't be surprised if another player, transfer or underclassman, takes his job from him.  I like the kid but he is mediocre at best and wouldn't start for any of the good teams in the B1G or across the country.

OR

CAM's offensive scheme is so lackluster and flawed that it makes every ball handler, shooter and big man on the team look lost and indecisive.

Here’s my other issue with our coaches. We knew Green wasn’t going to be good for us when they took over for Crean. I know we tried to pick up a few guards but lost out because we came in late on their recruitment. He couldn’t have found some juco. It’s unfair to expect Franklin a freshmen three star guard to come in and be all that. He has done great I think but we need more. With Green leaving, I would be Turning over every stone to find the best shooting guard I could find! Someone like a Jordon Hulls who was deadly from outside. 
The three recruits coming in next year I hope can really help. They sound like great kids and good players, but everything I’ve read doesn’t sound like we are getting kids that will come in and be big impact players their freshman year. So where does that leave us. 
our guard play has got to improve leaps an bounds next year are we will be talking about the same things next year. 

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Awesome recap and thank you. Whole game changed during this stretch. Purdue maxed out their chances while we didn't score and and turned it over. Set the mood for rest of our game. 12-0 runs should never happen at home, should never happen at home during a rivalry game....and most certainly never be the way an half should end at home during a rivalry game. 

Thanks.

In the last 6 possessions of the first half one of the things that stood out to me was TJD only touching the ball once, and that touch was beyond the top of the key.  He was in the game for the first three possessions and on the bench for the last three. Maybe Archie saw something but I’m not sure why you would rest him, as he was not in foul trouble, 1:30 prior to a long halftime.   I realize saying “get more touches for TJD” is easier said than done, since defenses know they can clog the middle due to our subpar guard play, but we really need to figure out a way for him to touch the ball on nearly every non-transition possession.

Archived