IU - Purdue Post Game thread

8 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

We need to bring Bruce back to Indiana.  I went to his camps as a kid and met him many times.  He would create a dynasty here.  Bank it.

Honestly.  Why would he leave auburn?  He has just about every advantage there minus our state. 

Him or bob Huggins can coach some ball but we have this false humility that won't allow us to get a real winner.  It has to be a pr win first or it will never happen.  

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seriously do not understand why Green gets so much run. I'd rather Bybee take his scholly and DG ride out his senior year on the pine. The dude just plain does not get it. Same for Al, to a lesser extent. After this sh*tshow of a performance, I'd start Armaan and let him take his lumps so he'll be ready next year. This team is not a NCAAT bound team by any measure. Let the younuns grow and write down your losses with the Crean leftovers. 

Like I said I was not in favor of Archie being hired but have said I am going to be patient with him.  After today I am starting to lose that patience and I am really wondering if he will be the guy.  Today was a total disappointment and a disgraceful performance and can't believe the players came out and played that bad.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Like I said I was not in favor of Archie being hired but have said I am going to be patient with him.  After today I am starting to lose that patience and I am really wondering if he will be the guy.  Today was a total disappointment and a disgraceful performance and can't believe the players came out and played that bad.

I have been holding out hope even though I was not seeing it.  If we miss the tournament again this year, he should get canned.  He will be a lame duck at that point anyway.

It is absolutely embarrassing that Coach Knight made his return today when IU has a squad on his court that couldn’t be further from his teachings if they tried. I honestly knew we were not going to win when Green threw the behind the back pass and we missed the 3. I literally thought to myself “crap, it’s this version of the team today, we’re done.”

i hate that I’m saying this...but...if our team played basketball like purdue plays, smart, tough and hard, we’d be ranked and already in the tournament field. We’re just dumb. We’re nonchalant. Smith should sit. Green shouldn’t play...at all. I’m tired of Green looking like he’s trying out for an And1 video any time there’s national coverage. He’s literally become one of my least favorite IU players ever. If he played the right way he has the talent to be great. He is emblematic of this team.

Archie just isn’t getting the job done. I think this team would be better, right now, if our incoming freshmen were starting. At least we’d get to see some fundamentals and made shots.

I worry TJD is regressing because of the players surrounding him. I also worry that we will have wasted the only year we have him. He isn’t ready for the NBA but why stick around to burn in this dumpster fire...

Starting to hate this team. Starting to not care. That bums me out.

Bruce Pearl belongs in the SEC and is not a fit for Indiana.  How long do we have to try "good" coaches who don't fit our culture?  Culture means a heckuva lot more with this fan base than what people realize.  Do we have to hire a coach from the state?  Not necessarily.  But hire someone who fits Indiana (see Chris Beard).

Just now, Hoosier76 said:

I worry TJD is regressing because of the players surrounding him. I also worry that we will have wasted the only year we have him. He isn’t ready for the NBA but why stuck around to burn in this dumpster fire...

Just a quick fyi, I saw a tweet Either during or before the game indicating he is returning next year. I’ll try to find it.

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I have been holding out hope even though I was not seeing it.  If we miss the tournament again this year, he should get canned.  He will be a lame duck at that point anyway.

My problem is that if we make a change it wouldn't be until after the new AD starts in June.  Also I just don't think we would attract a great coach like some think we would.  Why would Pearl or beard leave a place where they showed that they can win at a high level.  Why come here and put up with the fans when you already have a good job.

Just going to note a couple things for now:

Was anyone else dumbfounded on Archie taking TJD and Hunter out after we got writhing 6?  Then Purdue scores 7 straight.  It seems like Archie loves to mess with teams that are flowing.

purdue fan behind me questioned why the team doesn’t feed TJD every time.  Straight up said no one on Purdue can stop him, he was amazed the team didn’t feed him the ball more.  Once again a commoner theme.

Still going to wait for the season to complete before I pass final judgment on the year but this was not a good look.

I am lucky though, as I can say I saw Coach Knight coach his last game at AH and the. Saw him set foot on the court for his next and maybe last in person game.  I teared up, was special and I won’t forget it.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

My problem is that if we make a change it wouldn't be until after the new AD starts in June.  Also I just don't think we would attract a great coach like some think we would.  Why would Pearl or beard leave a place where they showed that they can win at a high level.  Why come here and put up with the fans when you already have a good job.

Coaches only have to put up with the fans when they lose at a high rate.  Our fans were great in Crean's seasons with Zeller.  Any elite coach thinks they're going to win.  99% of them couldn't care less about fans being upset by a lot of losing because they don't think they'll ever have a lot of losing.

3 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Coaches only have to put up with the fans when they lose at a high rate.  Our fans were great in Crean's seasons with Zeller.  Any elite coach thinks they're going to win.  99% of them couldn't care less about fans being upset by a lot of losing because they don't think they'll ever have a lot of losing.

You mean the fans that were calling for Crean's head after the Syracuse game in the sweet 16.  My question what does IU have that all the other schools don't that  would make a Beard or Pear leave their current job.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Then hire an up and comer and pay him like one.  We have blown so much money the past 12 years on absolute garbage hires.

When you keep a guy on for a year or more beyond when it becomes obvious he is on borrowed time, you hamstring his replacement with mediocre players who are picked up because the prior guy was a lame duck.

It feels like it is over at this point.  If that is the case, why prolong it?  And if Glass is the hold up, bring in his replacement now and make him like AD emeritus.  Here's your check through June, peace out my man because we need your replacement in place before you want to leave.

10 minutes ago, ChristophBart said:

Bruce Pearl belongs in the SEC and is not a fit for Indiana.  How long do we have to try "good" coaches who don't fit our culture?  Culture means a heckuva lot more with this fan base than what people realize.  Do we have to hire a coach from the state?  Not necessarily.  But hire someone who fits Indiana (see Chris Beard).

Welcome to posting!

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If I were a player I would have been embarrassed with that performance in front of the best players and coach that has played at IU.  I don't see any of them having pride playing for INDIANA om the front of the jersey.

That's why I was with whoever said it earlier.  These players clearly don't get it, and watching the halftime ceremony could have been a great teaching moment for those guys.  Instead, we tune it out and come out of half time like crap and get blown out.

46 minutes ago, bobtcat2 said:

I agree.  I fully expected a win here.  Don't see a way to 9 conference wins now.

I don’t either! Starting to feel like the big 0 12 skid again. It seems we just keep doing the same thing and hope for better results! Man if I was a good high school player i would think long and hard before I would choose IU. 
I would like to hear that Archie broke a table are throws a fit at the players are something! 

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Then hire an up and comer and pay him like one.  We have blown so much money the past 12 years on absolute garbage hires.

When you keep a guy on for a year or more beyond when it becomes obvious he is on borrowed time, you hamstring his replacement with mediocre players who are picked up because the prior guy was a lame duck.

It feels like it is over at this point.  If that is the case, why prolong it?  And if Glass is the hold up, bring in his replacement now and make him like AD emeritus.  Here's your check through June, peace out my man because we need your replacement in place before you want to leave.

The thing is that June is way to late in the process to ho think you will get a good hire.  Also I don't think an AD will want to come in and just fire the coach as his first thing on the job.  If Dolson is hired and he is an internal hire I doubt he will let Archie go.

4 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Just going to note a couple things for now:

Was anyone else dumbfounded on Archie taking TJD and Hunter out after we got writhing 6?  Then Purdue scores 7 straight.  It seems like Archie loves to mess with teams that are flowing.

purdue fan behind me questioned why the team doesn’t feed TJD every time.  Straight up said no one on Purdue can stop him, he was amazed the team didn’t feed him the ball more.  Once again a commoner theme.

Still going to wait for the season to complete before I pass final judgment on the year but this was not a good look.

I am lucky though, as I can say I saw Coach Knight coach his last game at AH and the. Saw him set foot on the court for his next and maybe last in person game.  I teared up, was special and I won’t forget it.

Purdue doubled the post every time we fed it down low and they didn’t care bc they knew we couldn’t shoot. On top of that, both TJD and JB were as inept at finding the open man when that happened as we are at shooting. TJD and JB were both very soft and disappointing today. Same they’ve been the last couple games.  Purdue was tougher, smarter and wanted it more than us. Our guys showed zero determination or fire, or care it appeared. Combine that with the fact we have ONE guy who can dribble a basketball, a whole team incapable of shooting, and half the roster that should never see the floor of a Big10 game .... and I could make an argument that it’s impressive CAM has beat some of the teams he has. Problem for CAM is that in a couple years Crean’s garbage will be completely out the door, and the question will be has he replaced them with good enough, tough enough kids that can win at this level.

6 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

Welcome to posting!

Thanks!  Have followed this board a loooong time and posted on a pay site the last 8 years.  Decided not to up the ante for another year (apathy is setting in), but want to continue to try to discuss IU hoops.  But, I'm tired of moral victories and empty balconies.  For the love of Indiana hoops, just give me some smart, well played ball!

Archived