IU - Purdue Post Game thread

i mean, i don't think this is going to happen... but... we have lost 4 in a row and play an Iowa team next that is going to be ranked around #15 right?  being at home, i hope we can pull it out, but obviously could be a loss.  then we go @ Mich and @ MN.  then home vs. a top 20 Penn St. team.  then @ Purdue.  then @ Illinois.  if this team doesn't figure something out, could we really lose 10 in a row?  it's hard to chalk any one of those games up as a win when you can't get up to play your rival at home on the day The General comes back.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Weren't you a student at IU for that game against OSU in 1905?

Remember it well. Zora Clevenger was in his first year as head BB at Indiana.  Got fired the next year.

Actually consider myself to be somewhat of an expert on IUBB. 

24 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i mean, i don't think this is going to happen... but... we have lost 4 in a row and play an Iowa team next that is going to be ranked around #15 right?  being at home, i hope we can pull it out, but obviously could be a loss. 

I've felt all year that Iowa is the worst match-up for IU in the B1G. Multiple 3 pt shooters. They don't play much defense, but I don't think this IU team can out score them. With Garza's offensive threat, Weiskamp and Fredrick will be playing HORSE from the 3 pt line.

25 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I've felt all year that Iowa is the worst match-up for IU in the B1G. Multiple 3 pt shooters. They don't play much defense, but I don't think this IU team can out score them. With Garza's offensive threat, Weiskamp and Fredrick will be playing HORSE from the 3 pt line.

scary thing is, do we have a better chance of winning that one or one of the two road games after it?

32 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Really depends on which Iowa. The one last night that ran Nebraska out of their building or the one who let Purdue put up 104 on them at Purdue

16 hours ago, CTrojan88 said:

They stopped feeding him when Green came in the game for the first time.  He had to get his....after that, Trayce would post but not get the ball.  You could see the frustration on his face.  Archie is fully to blame for this mess.  He has said changes are coming multiple times but none ever do.  Time for a change

Yep I saw him make 1-2 interior passes and the rest was the usual ....not sure how he gets 20 minutes on his shooting percentage yesterday 

16 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I wish Archie would stop subbing two or 3 players after the first timeout every game.  We started alright getting up 5-0 and was still up 7-5 after the first timeout.  I know I harp on the past but RMK did not just sub to be subbing and sometimes would not sub at all during a half.

Amen ...you can’t script a college game like you do an nba game ....reading the court to know when to ride with something that’s working on change something that’s not is a coaching talent and it’s necessary in college basketball 

16 hours ago, Hard Hat said:

I have seen a few people say this but I ask, why does he get so many minutes if he would love to get rid of him?  He literally lets him turn the tide to the other team over and over again.  I have said it before, he just hope he gets hot, but is it worth it.  He may win you 1 game out of 10.  

Exactly  I would trade the Florida state win to a loss for a couple of the wins we might have gotten without him involved 

15 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I'm with you all the way.

I watched the Auburn vs. LSU game and Pearl was really in the game all the way. Say what you want about the guy, but he knows how to win no matter where he goes.....

I agree with his enthusiasm and he honestly seems likable ...only problem is he’s a convicted rule breaker ....not sure I’m interested in another kelvin sampson redux 

15 hours ago, southsidehoosier said:

Painters post game comments about Knight make it really hard to not like the guy

I work with his dad occasionally ...he seems like an extremely good guy ...you would never guess his son was a multimillion per year high profile coach unless you already knew it...very down to earth  ....appears he was raised well 

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Any team that clogs the paint and puts some pressure on our guards is a nightmare matchup for this team.  Just sit back and let Al, Devonte and Smith shoot it knowing full well the chances of one of them going off is not that great.

5 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I work with his dad occasionally ...he seems like an extremely good guy ...you would never guess his son was a multimillion per year high profile coach unless you already knew it...very down to earth  ....appears he was raised well 

That’s good to hear.

Just curious, since you have a tie to the Painter family are they recruiting your son Luke?

3 hours ago, RoadToZion said:

I’m not that old, but I’ve never been so embarrassed after a loss. RMK comes back, all eyes nationally are on this game, and we get blown out by a mediocre Purdue team. I slept on it, and I feel even worse today about it. 

I agree this was an embarrassment but it is far from the most embarrassed I have been after an IU game.  to me it is more embarrassing when you really expect big things and then lay an egg like n the tournament.  In 86 we went up to UM on the last day of the season and the winner would win the championship.  We totally laid an egg and lost by 20+ and was never in the game.

I rewatched the last 5 minutes of the first half because the sadistic side of me wanted to know what happened.  In real-time it was obvious we let things slip away but I did not know the collective sequence of events.

A recap:

IU was up 28-25 with 3:30 to go. Each team had 6 possession from that point.

PU’s 6 possessions

Made a 3

Made a 3

Made a 2

Made a 2 that followed a miss and offensive rebound

Missed a 3

Made a 2

6 possessions, scored in 5 of them, no turnovers, rebounded 1/2 of their misses.

IU’s last 6 possessions

Missed 3 taken by Rob

Missed 3 by Hunter followed by missed 2 by Green

TO - Davis illegal screen

TO- Coming out of timeout Brunk is subbed in and turns it over

Missed 2 by Green

TO- Rob travel.

6 IU possessions, all 6 were empty, 3 To’s, rebounded 1/4 of our misses (actually it was Davis throwing the ball at the PU players feet).

Essentially both the offense and defense were less than optimal as we did not stop them (PU scored in 5-6 possessions and shot 5-7) while we came up empty in all six possessions shooting 0-4 with 3 turnovers. TJD was in for the first 3 of the 6 possessions. He only touched the ball once when he caught a pass 3 feet past the top of the key. He was on the bench, resting up for halftime, during the last three possessions.

1 hour ago, IU878176 said:

I rewatched the last 5 minutes of the first half because the sadistic side of me wanted to know what happened.  In real-time it was obvious we let things slip away but I did not know the collective sequence of events.

A recap:

IU was up 28-25 with 3:30 to go. Each team had 6 possession from that point.

PU’s 6 possessions

Made a 3

Made a 3

Made a 2

Made a 2 that followed a miss and offensive rebound

Missed a 3

Made a 2

6 possessions, scored in 5 of them, no turnovers, rebounded 1/2 of their misses.

IU’s last 6 possessions

Missed 3 taken by Rob

Missed 3 by Hunter followed by missed 2 by Green

TO - Davis illegal screen

TO- Coming out of timeout Brunk is subbed in and turns it over

Missed 2 by Green

TO- Rob travel.

6 IU possessions, all 6 were empty, 3 To’s, rebounded 1/4 of our misses (actually it was Davis throwing the ball at the PU players feet).

Essentially both the offense and defense were less than optimal as we did not stop them (PU scored in 5-6 possessions and shot 5-7) while we came up empty in all six possessions shooting 0-4 with 3 turnovers. TJD was in for the first 3 of the 6 possessions. He touched the ball once when he caught a pass 3 feet past the top of the key. He was on the bench, resting up for halftime, during the last three possessions.

Not only that ...but the coaching staff knew that halftime would run long as a result of the player ceremony so resting him before half becomes not only questionable it becomes problematic because he may spend close to a half hour of real time without physical movement ...second half was Probably  like Starting the game from scratch 

I'm not ready to give up on the bright spots for this team - TJD, Franklin, Brunk, Hunter, and Thompson. There's a lot to like still.

But, we desperately need some toughness on this team. I want some in-your-face, fired up players that teams hate to play against. We need some Moye or Sheehey type kids and a couple shooters and then this would be a different team. Unfortunately, I just don't see consistent effort and toughness from this team. We could overcome a lot of deficiencies, by being tougher and playing harder longer. We've seen it in flashes this season, but not since the MSU game. I want a team full of players that would not tolerate that jackass from MD disrespecting our court.

I've started taping the games on my Roku, but haven't watched any of the last four. And I certainly am not enjoying reading about the games afterwards anymore.

As I led with, I'm not giving up, b/c we've had periods like this before - even many of Knights last seasons. I hope they can turn it around this year, but it's not looking great.

3 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

As I led with, I'm not giving up, b/c we've had periods like this before - even many of Knights last seasons. I hope they can turn it around this year, but it's not looking great.

Keep the faith. And remember.... the darkest hour is just before dawn. 

7 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I'm not ready to give up on the bright spots for this team - TJD, Franklin, Brunk, Hunter, and Thompson. There's a lot to like still.

But, we desperately need some toughness on this team. I want some in-your-face, fired up players that teams hate to play against. We need some Moye or Sheehey type kids and a couple shooters and then this would be a different team. Unfortunately, I just don't see consistent effort and toughness from this team. We could overcome a lot of deficiencies, by being tougher and playing harder longer. We've seen it in flashes this season, but not since the MSU game. I want a team full of players that would not tolerate that jackass from MD disrespecting our court.

I've started taping the games on my Roku, but haven't watched any of the last four. And I certainly am not enjoying reading about the games afterwards anymore.

Agreed about what we need ...but can’t say franklin has been a bright spot to this point did you mean rob ?

5 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Agreed about what we need ...but can’t say franklin has been a bright spot to this point did you mean rob ?

Franklin's had his moments...Notre Dame comes to mind...and I'll bet that he's taken more charges this year than the rest of the team combined...

He's a work in progress, that I'll grant you, but factor in defense and hustle, I see a bright future for Armaan...

You just looking to clear schollies so Luke can get a ride? 😉

Archived