The H🔥T Seat

I know the last time I posted about a coaching change on the old site, we had record views, posts etc... however, I’m beginning to feel eerily similar to the final days of Crean. 

First, let me start by saying that I realistically expect IU to give Archie four full seasons, potentially five if he can improve drastically. But definitely a complete year next season. 

I really think that Archie is in above his head at this point and can’t imagine him righting the ship. He seems to allow the players to free reign of the program. I’d much rather him have let Smith and Green walk their selfish selves away from Bloomington and not be as good, instead of watching this awful product every week. 

We have absolutely zero leadership, or passion. I think Rob and TJD have the potential to do so, but seem very hesitant to take control. 

I know we can’t see it yet, but I feel like our recruiting is going to hit a wall because of our poor play. 

It’s probably way too early to talk about potential hires, because Archie is still in year three. But mark my words, if we’re still staring down the same barrel at this point next season... we’ll be talking potential new hires amongst other things that come with change. 

I’m just speculating here, but I’m almost certain that the new AD will have the mind that he can make the “Right Hire” to bring Indiana Basketball back to it's rightful throne. A new AD almost assuredly means that a new coach will be coming, especially if the current coach is putting this type of product on the court. 

I’ll save the wish list for this time next year. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Danomatic said:

I know the last time I posted about a coaching change on the old site, we had record views, posts etc... however, I’m beginning to feel eerily similar to the final days of Crean. 

First, let me start by saying that I realistically expect IU to give Archie four full seasons, potentially five if he can improve drastically. But definitely a complete year next season. 

I really think that Archie is in above his head at this point and can’t imagine him righting the ship. He seems to allow the players to free reign of the program. I’d much rather him have let Smith and Green walk their selfish selves away from Bloomington and not be as good, instead of watching this awful product every week. 

We have absolutely zero leadership, or passion. I think Rob and TJD have the potential to do so, but seem very hesitant to take control. 

I know we can’t see it yet, but I feel like our recruiting is going to hit a wall because of our poor play. 

It’s probably way too early to talk about potential hires, because Archie is still in year three. But mark my words, if we’re still staring down the same barrel at this point next season... we’ll be talking potential new hires amongst other things that come with change. 

I’m just speculating here, but I’m almost certain that the new AD will have the mind that he can make the “Right Hire” to bring Indiana Basketball back to it's rightful throne. A new AD almost assuredly means that a new coach will be coming, especially if the current coach is putting this type of product on the court. 

I am so surprised because I thought Archie would be hard A$$ as a coach and would not let his players have this much leeway.

2 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

Why wait? It seems the majority on this board are wanting him gone anyway go ahead and put the wish list out there

Let’s assume the worst case scenario comes to fruition and we miss the tournament again this year. The tough thing going into next year will be having zero expectation about 20-21 being any better, at least for me. I didn’t expect to be world beaters this year, but I did expect to be better. I won’t have that expectation to hold onto during what could be a long off season. I hope this season gets righted, but as of now I’m doubtful. 

Can Archie start inspiring his team?  They play so uninspired on defense and around the basket.  Purdue was the more aggressive team with Defense and screening, cutting.  IU has, on paper, better athletes and looked a step behind.  The silly traveling needs to end, it is a momentum stopper.

Archie needs to raise the expectations, use the bench more and get these boys motivated.  Its time to truly go a different pathway, his words, and look at what is not working.

Just now, Parakeet Jones said:

Let’s assume the worst case scenario comes to fruition and we miss the tournament again this year. The tough thing going into next year will be having zero expectation about 20-21 being any better, at least for me. I didn’t expect to be world beaters this year, but I did expect to be better. I won’t have that expectation to hold onto during what could be a long off season. I hope this season gets righted, but as of now I’m doubtful. 

And that will be the problem. We will be completely reliant on developing current players and hoping MANY take LEAPS for next year which is an unfair expectation.

2 minutes ago, ButlerHoosier said:

I have said it before but I think Archie is hamstrung and not being allowed to be the coach he wants to be. 

If that’s true, then the boosters and various donors need to completely cut ties with the administration, until they realize that IUBB is the Alpha and Omega of Indiana University.

4 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Same.

2 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

If that’s true, then the boosters and various donors need to completely cut ties with the administration, until they realize that IUBB is the Alpha and Omega of Indiana University.

I absolutely agree. There were also reports talking about how coaches turned down coming to IU cause of the AD office. So I honestly think Archie is doing the best he can with what he has but is coming up short cause the AD is getting into the middle of everything. 

1 minute ago, ButlerHoosier said:

I absolutely agree. There were also reports talking about how coaches turned down coming to IU cause of the AD office. 

I’m just so sick of hear about how the administration is dictating how good the basketball program can be, because they want to have control. As long as that cloud is looming over the program, Coach Knight, K, Patino etc. couldn’t win here. 

1 hour ago, ButlerHoosier said:

I have said it before but I think Archie is hamstrung and not being allowed to be the coach he wants to be. 

Just curious.

How is he being hamstrung?

Does Fred tell him “I don’t care if it is a blowout you must keep Green in rather than play walk-ons for a few minutes”.

Or maybe Fred said “I know you need shooters but you cannot fill two of your scholarships”

Or maybe Fred says “no matter what happens in the first half the same five guys need to start the second half”.

Just asking because I have read about Archie being hamstrung but am interested in what that actually means.

5 minutes ago, ButlerHoosier said:

I absolutely agree. There were also reports talking about how coaches turned down coming to IU cause of the AD office. So I honestly think Archie is doing the best he can with what he has but is coming up short cause the AD is getting into the middle of everything. 

Honestly, how is Glass getting in the way?  I don't want to call out players, but, for example does Glass say for every A Smith gets at Kelly he gets 5 minutes of playing time?

Is Glass saying kids certain kids get playing time and some do not?

I do not get the handcuff thing.  Is Archie not able to demand expectations during timeouts?  Does Glass inforce a you must look confused with Osterum before entering any huddle?  

18 minutes ago, ButlerHoosier said:

I think it is more than just the APR thing cause they are still talking about it to today. In another thread there was an episode where Dan talks about it.

Our multi year APR for the 17-18 season (last score released) was 944. If it falls below 930 Indiana will be penalized “to 16 hours of practice per week over five days (as opposed to 20 over six days), with the lost four hours to be replaced with academic activities.”

There are many issues with this team but the issues Crean placed on Archie regarding his ability to remove Crean players was limited by Crean’s Creaning during Crean’s last 4 seasons. 

I am not an Archie Miller supporter. We should have hired Mack at that pay grade. I really thought we were aiming higher. Im tired of the product on the floor. What a disgrace to lose at home to Purdue on a day where Bobby knight walks back through those doors . Archie is going to struggle recruiting even more now. People everywhere will be talking about his mediocrity.

1 minute ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Our multi year APR for the 17-18 season (last score released) was 944. If it falls below 930 Indiana will be penalized “to 16 hours of practice per week over five days (as opposed to 20 over six days), with the lost four hours to be replaced with academic activities.”

There are many issues with this team but the issues Crean placed on Archie regarding his ability to remove Crean players was limited by Crean’s Creaning during Crean’s last 4 seasons. 

So why not get 2 grad transfers this year and not have to play Crean players this year. 

31 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

Not sure what giving him another year does other than give the new ad more time to evaluate possible new hires.  I mean we are actually getting worse and there has been nothing thats screams we are in the right track. I think by now we would have seen some signs this coach could win at this level.

12 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Just curious.

How is he being hamstrung?

Does Fred tell him “I don’t care if it is a blowout you must keep Green in rather than play walk-one for a few minutes”.

Or maybe Fred said “I know you need shooters but you cannot fill two of your scholarships”

Or maybe Fred says “no matter what happens in the first half the same five guys need to start the second half”.

Just asking because I have read about Archie being hamstrung but am interested what that actually means.

You know I wish I had the answers. I am just passing along everything that I have heard and read in my very limited capacity. It seems like the people in the know know alot more of what is going on and have a real pulse of the entire situation. 

The guy is a bum.  The recruiting hasn’t been good, and his system is fundamentally flawed.  His brother has underachieved while cheating his ass off in recruiting, and Archie hasn’t recruited nearly as well.  It’s over.  We hired our John Groce, and he’ll be gone after next season.

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

The guy is a bum.  The recruiting hasn’t been good, and his system is fundamentally flawed.  His brother has underachieved while cheating his ass off in recruiting, and Archie hasn’t recruited nearly as well.  It’s over.  We hired our John Groce, and he’ll be gone after next season.

He has been able to get possibly three straight Indiana Mr. Basketballs.  He needs to get a scoring pg.  

14 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

I’m just so sick of hear about how the administration is dictating how good the basketball program can be, because they want to have control. As long as that cloud is looming over the program, Coach Knight, K, Patino etc. couldn’t win here. 

And there is talk of promoting Dolson from within that AD.  Like I said in another thread, if we see promotion from within, expect more of the same.  I am 41, I will be surprised if this gets fixed before I am 50.  We have been an "Indiana" type of team maybe 6 seasons since I started at IU (which was in 1997).  We had the tournament run in 2002.  We looked pretty good that last year of Sampson before we freaked out about phone calls.  Crean had the 2 Sweet 16's in a row with Zeller and Oladipo and a Big Ten championship with Yogi.  That is 5.  I said 6 because I am leaving room for something I forgot.  So 6 times since I was 18 have we been anywhere near where we were in the first 13 years of my life.  Part of that was Knight getting bored with recruiting and a major part was started because the people running the school wanted to de-emphasize athletics.

You want a wish list and you are really serious about winning?  Go offer Stevens $8 million a year and force him to tell you no.  That would be a start.  Then you start preparing to pay players.

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

And there is talk of promoting Dolson from within that AD.  Like I said in another thread, if we see promotion from within, expect more of the same.  I am 41, I will be surprised if this gets fixed before I am 50.  We have been an "Indiana" type of team maybe 6 seasons since I started at IU (which was in 1997).  We had the tournament run in 2002.  We looked pretty good that last year of Sampson before we freaked out about phone calls.  Crean had the 2 Sweet 16's in a row with Zeller and Oladipo and a Big Ten championship with Yogi.  That is 5.  I said 6 because I am leaving room for something I forgot.  So 6 times since I was 18 have we been anywhere near where we were in the first 13 years of my life.  Part of that was Knight getting bored with recruiting and a major part was started because the people running the school wanted to de-emphasize athletics.

You want a wish list and you are really serious about winning?  Go offer Stevens $8 million a year and force him to tell you no.  That would be a start.  Then you start preparing to pay players.

This is the only thing I can see as a positive in the near future. We need to get out in front of that train and get the school and sponsors on board to go big game hunting. IU should never lose another recruit in state with the alumni and backing the Indiana community can afford. 

Archived