The H🔥T Seat

2 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

Personally, I’d start at Stevens as well. Then I’d look to Donovan(again). After BD, I’d look at Beilien. Then I’d call Patino.

I want our next coach to have strong ties to the NBA. I don’t want another “next up and comer” type. 

I’m sorry, but I don’t have any “Indiana guys” at the top of my list. Knight wasn’t an Indiana guy, but there isn’t anymore of those Knight types around. 

My reasoning for wanting the NBA pedigree is that we need to be able to consistently recruit at an elite level. I don’t care what anyone says, we have to be able to recruit at least 3 top 75-100 kids in each and every class in order to compete on a national level. 

You seriously would want Pitino

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was excited to get rid of Crean. I didn’t hAte him like others but you could see we we’re regressing his last few years and he didn’t care. After three years of Archie we are talking about the same problems. Poor shooters, poor basketball IQ. Turn overs out the wazzoo! At the must in opportunistic time. 
When is it on Archie, I agree he doesn’t shoot  it for them, he doesn’t make the pass for them. He does how ever coach them, he does how ever recruit them. If he can’t recruit then he isn’t the coach for us. Are needs to find an assistant coach who can recruit. 
So tried of being a joke. And this crap about all the opportunities left who really believe that! you watch what I am watching, we aren’t as good as we we’re a month ago! 
Sorry we suck! 

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You seriously would want Pitino

Scott — I am not a fan of Pitino either but when it comes time to pay players in a couple years (which I am totally against),  no one has done it better than Slick Rick (or Quick Rick, whichever you’re prefer)

44 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

He has been able to get possibly three straight Indiana Mr. Basketballs.  He needs to get a scoring pg.  

And Romeo and TJD are the only elite players he’s landed... And Romeo only lasted for one year.  His guard recruiting has been terrible, and it’s no wonder.  The offense is garbage.

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thank the lord that message board opinions represent less than 1/10th of 1/10th. Not saying there isn't frustration but you can't keep hiring and firing. Shame on the 10 fans who keep this thread going. 

That’s just where we are now it seems. I for one still believe in this team and coach, but I am tired of getting accused of being a sunshine pumper or accepting mediocrity. It gets very tiresome. These days I just sit back and be a lurker on the board again. I mean in no way am I happy with the way the team is going now but I am still hopeful to a good finish to the season. 

Also, I don’t believe there will ever be guys stay as long as K has at Duke, or even Knight at IU anymore. If so, they’d be few and very far between. 

The coaching game, like the game itself, has changed. The entire landscape is different. 

You get what you pay for and even a blind man can tell you we’ve been robbed of top 10 pay. Never mind not spending the money to pay potentially  a top five guy. 

13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Would love that but at his age and how long it would take to get his guys I don't think it will happen.  My question is that I see Pearl and now Beilein mentioned but look at their first 3 years at their schools it is not any better than Archie's first 3 years here.

I am not a fan of hiring Pearl, because of his baggage, but you mention his track record not being better than Archies.......

UW Milwaukee. - NCAA tourney in his second year, and in the tourney 2 of his 4 years there including a sweet 16....at UW Milwaukee.

Tennessee- NCAA tourney his first year (I did not think that was possible :) ). Made the tourney all six years and two of those were sweet 16’s and another year in the Elite 8. 5/6 years he got past the first round.

Auburn - 4th year second round, 5th year final four.  Did not make it the first three years but we are talking Auburn, not IU.

Edit: you also mention Beilein. His first Power 5 job was West Virginia. In his first three years he went to a sweet 16 and also an Elite 8. At Michigan he went to the tourney 2 of his first 4 years.

3 minutes ago, IUskim said:

That’s just where we are now it seems. I for one still believe in this team and coach, but I am tired of getting accused of being a sunshine pumper or accepting mediocrity. It gets very tiresome. These days I just sit back and be a lurker on the board again. I mean in no way am I happy with the way the team is going now but I am still hopeful to a good finish to the season. 

I’ve pumped so much sunshine, I simply cannot take it anymore. I’ve stayed away and tried staying positive and have spoken optimistically of Arch. I just don’t know how some can’t see the writing on the wall in this instance. 

I’ll let this season and next season play out before I talk New coach... he is still dealing with terrible upperclassmen left by Crean.. everyone who wins in the BIG wins with good upperclassmen that stabilize the program. We have Green and Davis as our seniors.. Smith is not my favorite to say the least and Brunk is a good role guy..when his recruits are juniors and seniors and not getting it done then move on... continuing to hire and fire coaches so soon is not going to work but yes I understand everyone’s frustrations and their are some things Archie could do better for sure. 

4 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

I’ll let this season and next season play out before I talk New coach... he is still dealing with terrible upperclassmen left by Crean.. everyone who wins in the BIG wins with good upperclassmen that stabilize the program. We have Green and Davis as our seniors.. Smith is not my favorite to say the least and Brunk is a good role guy..when his recruits are juniors and seniors and not getting it done then move on... continuing to hire and fire coaches so soon is not going to work but yes I understand everyone’s frustrations and their are some things Archie could do better for sure. 

That’s basically what I said in the original post, or close... I said they’ll give him one more full season and if he struggles during his 5th season, they’ll start to sharpen the axe. 

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

No but Few has had his chances to leave and hasn't and if you watch the interview on CBSSports you would know he is not leaving.  It has been stated and I heard on an interview that Stevens doesn't want to come back to coaching in college.  Donovan is doing well at OKC and won't be going anywhere soon.

Why would any of them tell a reporter that they are anything but happy with their job.

Tell you what, Stevens makes around $3.6 million a year.  Call him up and tell him you will double it to come and coach IU and if he says no to that, then we actually know.  Anything short of that is you speculating because you think that waiting around another year or two with the current guy failing is better than moving to something new.  To me, there will always be a guy like Archie Miller available who will be willing to cash in on a bump in pay.  If we miss the tournament again this year, it is Sweet 16 or bust for me in year 4.  You and I both know that is not happening so why delay the inevitable?

The "give them 4 or 5 years when the fanbase is in open revolt because they have sucked" method just leads to poor recruiting.  Which leads to eventually having to pull the plug and then leaves the replacement with a mediocre (at best) team in their first year because the prior lame duck coach could not get talent in the door because nobody believed he was a long termer.

If we miss the tournament this year, Miller is toast.  You know why?  Because his recruiting pipeline has not panned out.  The guys coming next year are team builders.  They need superstars to integrate with and they need time.  We will once again have 1 higher level player on the team in TJD.  If we miss the tournament this year it is over.  The only question will be when does the life support get unplugged.

40 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Would love that but at his age and how long it would take to get his guys I don't think it will happen.  My question is that I see Pearl and now Beilein mentioned but look at their first 3 years at their schools it is not any better than Archie's first 3 years here.

Pearl has kicked ass everywhere he has been. That started at USI in my hometown where he was dominate. 

I remember Tom Crean's first presser after he accepted the job.  His refrain was, "It's INDIANA!!"  

Well here we are over a decade later and unfortunately a series of poor decisions has tarnished that refrain.  I don't think "It's INDIANA!" anymore.  That may sound dramatic but it's not wrong. 

Somebody is going to have to resurrect this program from the foundation to the rafters.  

Edit: and I'm not saying it's not Archie.  But it will take time. 

1 hour ago, ButlerHoosier said:

I have said it before but I think Archie is hamstrung and not being allowed to be the coach he wants to be. 

I’m not a big fan of this thread, but this has been said off and on over the past 2 1/2 seasons. And like others, I’d like to know specifically what this means, understanding you’re merely passing along what you believe to be true. 

2 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Jarrod Odel tweeted that the team has a cancer.  He said they had one in 2001 and after he left they got better.  He made sure everyone knew it wasn’t Haston.  He said he knows the team will be much better next season because the cancer will be gone.

And the question again for that, why does the cancer get so much PT?  I don't care if they throw a manager out there. I don't care if they play with 4 players.  I remember reading when Archie was hired that he wouldn't be afraid to bench players for not playing the way he wanted.  I do not see it that way.  I see the players running the show.  

8 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Jarrod Odel tweeted that the team has a cancer.  He said they had one in 2001 and after he left they got better.  He made sure everyone knew it wasn’t Haston.  He said he knows the team will be much better next season because the cancer will be gone.

If that is true, then why has that player not been dealt with by the coaching staff?  It is either Davis or Green if he knows they are going to be gone next year.  So why do they continue to play?

I get tired of excuses like this.  Cancers should be dealt with by the coaching staff.  And if it is Green, they allowed him to be a freaking captain and continue to reward him with play.  For 3 years Miller allowed it.  You're the f-ing coach, do your job man.

That is not directed at you 0708...just frustrated.

42 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

How many years do you think he has left coaching? He’s in his 60’s I believe 

I don’t see him coaching more than 8-10 more years period, but he’d be an ideal candidate for a stop gap. 

He’s getting his NBA fill right now, and there are rumors saying that he isn’t happy where he’s at. He did try to get the job back in 08, so you know he’s at least been intrigued at some point. 

Again, not a long term deal(I don’t necessarily see many of those left anyway), but someone who could make the next transition a little smoother, with the ability to have success. He’d be able to recruit more of the elite kids and his connections to the league wouldn’t require getting multiple classes, especially if he could land two to three top 50 kids per season. 

15 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Also, he has to be talking about Andre Owens right?  I cannot think of who else left from that team.

14 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

While I most certainly agree with that... I’ve gotta ask though, if Archie is supposed to be the doctor, why hasn’t he removed said cancer? 

1 hour ago, ButlerHoosier said:

I have said it before but I think Archie is hamstrung and not being allowed to be the coach he wants to be. 

So, Archie is just here for the money and doesn’t mind looking like a fool?  I don’t buy it.  If true and Archie had any self pride, he would simply walk away and get another job.    

1 minute ago, Danomatic said:

While I most certainly agree with that... I’ve gotta ask though, if Archie is supposed to be the doctor, why hasn’t he removed said cancer? 

Does IU have some sort of a players bill of rights? Most of us have known that Green has been a cancer since last season, Archie isn’t stupid, my best guess is the backlash from somewhere deeper than what we can imagine. Not sure if ridding ourselves of Green would hit the waves in the Lakers camp with the forceful mouths on that team in all basketball circles,..but it’s definitely out there.

Did the real story of what happened last year during the collapse ever come out. I remember all the rumors of girl issues but never anything solid. If Green was the cause last year and Archie has let him take  this team down again, that is a big black mark and I’m not sure if I have any faith that Archie is gonna get the ship righted.

Archived