The H🔥T Seat

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i  have said all along that he will get 1 more year and can't imagine otherwise, but with our 4 game losing streak and top 15 Iowa coming followed by @ Mich and @ MN.  then home vs. top 20 Penn St.  then @ Purdue and @ Illinois?  what if we lose 4-6 of the next 6?  that seems realistic.  i still say he's back for 1 more year, but i still say the guys coming in next year are all role players.  no big impact.  i don't want to see him fired with no big hire on the horizon though.  if we fire him after next year, we better be ready to go all in and make a big splash.  

10 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Here’s the point guys.  If we miss the tourney this season it’s all over.  The 2021 class is dead.  What could Archie possibly sell them on?  Lander, Furst, and Kaufman please come to IU.  There’s about a 50% chance or slightly less that I’ll be the coach when you arrive.  And if not IUs last 4 coaches were Davis, Sampson, Crean and myself.  So even if I’m fired IU is guaranteed to make a splash hire so you’ll be in good hands either way.  I mean cmon.  It’s over if we’re not in the dance.

Yep, and then you start getting subpar recruiting classes which hamstrings the next guy for several years.  Indiana has consistently held on too long after it has become clear to everyone else that it is over.

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

Yep, and then you start getting subpar recruiting classes which hamstrings the next guy for several years.  Indiana has consistently held on too long after it has become clear to everyone else that it is over.

Yep expect a bunch of Clifton Moore’s in the couple recruiting classes.

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i  have said all along that he will get 1 more year and can't imagine otherwise, but with our 4 game losing streak and top 15 Iowa coming followed by @ Mich and @ MN.  then home vs. top 20 Penn St.  then @ Purdue and @ Illinois?  what if we lose 4-6 of the next 6?  that seems realistic.  i still say he's back for 1 more year, but i still say the guys coming in next year are all role players.  no big impact.  i don't want to see him fired with no big hire on the horizon though.  if we fire him after next year, we better be ready to go all in and make a big splash.  

2 guys in the NBA, you offer to double their current salaries and see what happens.

If you end up going the mid major route again, you sure as crap don't make the guy a Top 15 paid type of guy.

16 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Are we already "cutting" on next year's recruits?

1 hour ago, rico said:

The same Bob Huggins that was 15-21 last year?

The Same Bob Huggins thst has a team with mess talent than us in the top 15. I dont know but I bet he has made the tournament more than missing and it's not like he has won nearly 900 games at Duke or UK. I would take or would have taken Huggings over all our hires past 20 years

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Are we already "cutting" on next year's recruits?

see... it's not really "cutting" on them.  i'm not saying they are bad.  or trash.  or whatever people like to say to "cut" on them.  i'm saying they are nice players who could help fill roles on good teams.  it would be very surprising if any were immediate impact players.  that's all.  we can agree to disagree as usual my man.  i would be interested to know who you think may come in and start though?  i don't really know them well, so i'd be happy to get my hopes up if you can tell me otherwise.  

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I disagree with the "Purdue not being very good" part. I think the Northwestern game woke them up a little. Then they absolutely destroyed a good (and ranked) Iowa team. Purdue has been up and down this year, but I think they're finding their stride. I might make sport of ol Porkchop once in awhile, but the guy can coach.

College and or coaches aren't let go because of one game or knee-jerk reactions from fans.

Archie should be judged after being given a full and fair chance. If, at the end of his first full recruiting class's senior year, he's still struggling, I'll say "fire up the search committee."

But not until...

Purdue has a coach. Maybe not top 5 in the country but by end of the year there is no doubt they are much better that the beginning.  Been a while since IU fans can say that

3 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

see... it's not really "cutting" on them.  i'm not saying they are bad.  or trash.  or whatever people like to say to "cut" on them.  i'm saying they are nice players who could help fill roles on good teams.  it would be very surprising if any were immediate impact players.  that's all.  we can agree to disagree as usual my man.  i would be interested to know who you think may come in and start though?  i don't really know them well, so i'd be happy to get my hopes up if you can tell me otherwise.  

LOL, understood.  I am not a sunshine pumper but I know 1 thing...Galloway is a winner.  I bring him up because he is the one I have watched.  

13 hours ago, IU878176 said:

I am not a fan of hiring Pearl, because of his baggage, but you mention his track record not being better than Archies.......

UW Milwaukee. - NCAA tourney in his second year, and in the tourney 2 of his 4 years there including a sweet 16....at UW Milwaukee.

Tennessee- NCAA tourney his first year (I did not think that was possible :) ). Made the tourney all six years and two of those were sweet 16’s and another year in the Elite 8. 5/6 years he got past the first round.

Auburn - 4th year second round, 5th year final four.  Did not make it the first three years but we are talking Auburn, not IU.

Edit: you also mention Beilein. His first Power 5 job was West Virginia. In his first three years he went to a sweet 16 and also an Elite 8. At Michigan he went to the tourney 2 of his first 4 yearsbo

I was talking about Pearl at Auburn and Belein at UM

13 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

Pearl has kicked ass everywhere he has been. That started at USI in my hometown where he was dominate. 

Just saying look at his first 3 years at Auburn they were no better than Archie's first 3 years at IU.  If Pearl would have that same 3 years starting at IU would you want him fired as well.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I was talking about Pearl at Auburn and Belein at UM

Beilein went to the tourney 2/4 first years at Michigan.  With West Virginia I was referring to his first move from the mid-major ranks which was very successful with  a sweet 16 and elite 8 in his first three years. 

Pearl has a completely different track record than Archie as Auburn saw what Pearl did when he moved to the SEC (made the tourney each and every one of his 6 years) from a mid-major school. Archie does not have the same track record. 

Both Beilein and Pearl proved, rather quickly, that they could succeed at the Power conference level.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just saying look at his first 3 years at Auburn they were no better than Archie's first 3 years at IU.  If Pearl would have that same 3 years starting at IU would you want him fired as well.

Pearl had a track record of proving that he could win in the SEC. 
It is sad that we are now comparing basketball expectations at IU and Auburn.

13 hours ago, A-hOhL said:

We never should have fired Sampson. Great basketball mind. Sure we would have a few recruiting infractions and torpedo smokers from time to time but we would win. Instead, we destroy our own program via overreaction and look at us now. 

He was bad for IU because of the kind of kids he brought into IU and not for phone calls

13 hours ago, CincyHoosier said:

Agree.  Say what you want about Sampson but the dude can coach.  We would have, at minimum, been competing for Big 10 championships and making runs to the second or third weekend of the tourney with regularity under Sampson.  

I don't get this win at any cost attitude that some IU fans have today because it did not use to be that way.  Sampson should have never been hired and if the president did not get his way we probably would had Belien as our coach.

11 minutes ago, rico said:

LOL, understood.  I am not a sunshine pumper but I know 1 thing...Galloway is a winner.  I bring him up because he is the one I have watched.  

so, admittedly i have not seen him play, but he won't come in and start right away, correct?  i know people get all over me when i mention rankings, but hard to see a guy around 100 coming in right away and starting and being a difference maker right?  i'm just skeptical that we'll be much better next year.  that's what really scares me.  i like the Brunk/TJD combo more than most and i like RP, but just not sure who is going to make the difference at SG and SF.  i have to admit i'm getting much more optimistic with Hunter though.  i mean if Galloway can come in and be an immediate impact at SG and that makes us a tourney team, i'll be very happy with the progress.  i'm just skeptical as always!

17 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

At this point, what are Devonte Green, Al Durham, and Justin Smith? They aren't "Stars." They're....role players.

Role players who turn the ball over (all 3), demonstrate questionable shot selection (all 3), are hot and cold on defense (Al and Devonte), hustle when they feel like it (all 3), and aren't leading like captains should (obviously Al and Devonte) by holding teammates and THEMSELVES accountable. If the 3 kids we have coming in hustle, take care of the basketball, play serviceable defense, and take quality shots, believe me, it'll be an overall improvement...

By the way, the "Star" of the 87 team was unquestionably Steve Alford...Keith Smart was a "role player."

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

I have been called crazy before and been wrong with info before but I will say it again. Not from the horses mouth but pretty close. Tom Allen was told bowl or bust and CAM told tourney or bust. Take it with grain of salt but source is pretty darn good

If this is true, and I hope it is, Archie better figure it out quick.  Having the toughest part of the schedule remaining can either be a blessing or killer for him.  Playing Rob, Franklin, Jerome, Trayce and Brunk/Thomson 90% or more of the minutes is the only way I see this team having success.  If Archie ever watches film, he has to see this too.  

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

so, admittedly i have not seen him play, but he won't come in and start right away, correct?  i know people get all over me when i mention rankings, but hard to see a guy around 100 coming in right away and starting and being a difference maker right?  i'm just skeptical that we'll be much better next year.  that's what really scares me.  i like the Brunk/TJD combo more than most and i like RP, but just not sure who is going to make the difference at SG and SF.  i have to admit i'm getting much more optimistic with Hunter though.  i mean if Galloway can come in and be an immediate impact at SG and that makes us a tourney team, i'll be very happy with the progress.  i'm just skeptical as always!

Trey is a winner that has had D-1 talent around him all the way.  He could easily play the 2 or 3.  He also could be the 1 if called upon.  I just know he wins.  

Archived