The H🔥T Seat

4 minutes ago, rico said:

Trey is a winner that has had D-1 talent around him all the way.  He could easily play the 2 or 3.  He also could be the 1 if called upon.  I just know he wins.  

I agree and this is something that IU has lacked since the group with Hulls left.  Yogi had it to a degree but it took 3 full years for it to come out.  A good example of players with this quality was 2002...Coverdale, Fife, etc.  Those guys just had the will to win and did whatever was needed.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Demezi is one.  Al and Green as well.

Did Archie recruit Al and Green?

And Moore was a 3 star 150 recruit from Pennsylvania and had to make a late run in his high school to get there. Damezi was a 4 star (124) kid from Indiana ("lock down the borders!" I heard them scream)...

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Mind pointing those on our current roster out?

No, because I don't want to publicly name guys that I wish would go.  I will say that there are probably 5 players that could announce they are leaving, graduating, or transferring next year and I wouldn't bat an eye.

1 hour ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Glass had 3-4 candidates, quality candidates, in the Hall yesterday.  Instead of being a sponge and having meetings with them he was taking pictures with Dickey V and made sure to sit next to Cuban.  

He needs to pick the brains of people who has passion for IU and wants nothing more than success.  He promised during the interview process, and it has been reported came up short.

Now that the IU family has started the healing process, its time to strike and put a leader who cares about the past, present and future.

Who was in attendance yesterday that would be a good candidate to be our next coach.

4 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

I agree and this is something that IU has lacked since the group with Hulls left.  Yogi had it to a degree but it took 3 full years for it to come out.  A good example of players with this quality was 2002...Coverdale, Fife, etc.  Those guys just had the will to win and did whatever was needed.

I would agree with that and I think the guys we have coming in can develop to that.  Problem for Miller is that he will not have time for them to develop next year with the way this is going off the rails.

He needs at least one of those guys to come in and play like a high 4 star or better player right away.

40 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Purdue has a coach. Maybe not top 5 in the country but by end of the year there is no doubt they are much better that the beginning.  Been a while since IU fans can say that

We were clearly playing much better at the end of last year than at the beginning.

We clearly are not doing so right now.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Did Archie recruit Al and Green?

Green, No.

Al....he “sort of” recruited Al as he had to re-recruit him and could have let him go without any APR implications. Al never even participated in a Crean practice.  Maybe it’s just me but I think a coach should be able to influence/develop a player after three years.

A quote from the IDS.

Miller made in-home visits with all three recruits in the class of 2017 last week, and after getting guard Al Durham to re-commit and forward Justin Smith to stay, Miller now has Moore as well.

9 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

I’ll add two “players” that are not bringing more to the table than Moore.

Open scholarship 1

Open scholarship 2

No pleasing some of you people...when Crean filled them with guys like Priller and Jobe I could hear the screaming down here in Texas...

You get "projects" in here (because, be real...by the time it got around to filling this out, we weren't looking at 4 and 5 star kids) you clog up scholarships or "Crean" them which affects APR...

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Who was in attendance yesterday that would be a good candidate to be our next coach.

Well, there were 50+ ex players who exhibited high basketball IQ, passion for Indiana, played for one of the most demanding coaches in history of NCAA.  

Furthermore, anyone can get a lead recruiter as an assistant.

With that being said, you had multiple NBA coaches there, etc.  Names, Carter, Wittman, Thomas, Woodson, Buckner.  Ex assistant Guyton and others. Not sure if Smart was there, did not see him in pics.  

So much talent there.

25 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I have been called crazy before and been wrong with info before but I will say it again. Not from the horses mouth but pretty close. Tom Allen was told bowl or bust and CAM told tourney or bust. Take it with grain of salt but source is pretty darn good

If that is true that was said by Glass before he decided to retire.  The new AD coming in might not think the same way so that comment might not hold up.

Just now, IUFLA said:

No pleading you people...when Crean filled them with guys like Priller and Jobe I could hear the screaming down here in Texas...

You get "projects" in here (because, be real...by the time it got around to filling this out, we weren't looking at 4 and 5 star kids) you clog up scholarships or "Crean" them which affects APR...

I don’t want projects. It’s funny that you mention Priller and Jobe as I  think there is a little room between a 5 star and Priller. 

We needed a point guard and a shooter (could have been a transfer.JC etc) and did not get either. Part of a coaches job is to recruit and he was not able to get decent players to fill those needs/scholarships. Maybe it was bad luck, maybe he was hamstrung, maybe it was Creans fault but the bottom line is that those needs were not taken care of.  

I’ve been on the wagon and off the wagon on Archie.  After rewatching the game (I’m stupid) two things stood out.  1.  His substitutions are more baffling than Creans. 2.  He’s not real comfortable making his own decisions.  Every decision he makes goes through his assistants.  To me that’s scary. I like Archie and wanted him to succeed but I think the writing is on the wall much like it was for Crean.  He’s a dead man walking.  One other point, everybody wins at Dayton, everyone.  Anthony Grant was atrocious at Bama, he’s got a top 10 team now at Dayton.  Doesn’t mean they can’t coach, means they just can’t cut it in the big leagues.

9 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I would agree with that and I think the guys we have coming in can develop to that.  Problem for Miller is that he will not have time for them to develop next year with the way this is going off the rails.

He needs at least one of those guys to come in and play like a high 4 star or better player right away.

For some reason I think Geronimo will be a player that will come in and surprise people.

8 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Green, No.

Al....he “sort of” recruited Al as he had to return-recruit him and could have let him go without any APR implications. Al never even participated in a Crean practice.  Maybe it’s just me but I think a coach should be able to influence/develop a player after three years.

A quote from the IDS.

Miller made in-home visits with all three recruits in the class of 2017 last week, and after getting guard Al Durham to re-commit and forward Justin Smith to stay, Miller now has Moore as well.

April 2017 is kinda late in the recruiting process for 2017 recruits, no?

Granted, it was a "shotgun wedding" for both the coach and the players...and it really hasn't worked out well for either...

4 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Well, there were 50+ ex players who exhibited high basketball IQ, passion for Indiana, played for one of the most demanding coaches in history of NCAA.  

Furthermore, anyone can get a lead recruiter as an assistant.

With that being said, you had multiple NBA coaches there, etc.  Names, Carter, Wittman, Thomas, Woodson.  Ex assistant Guyton and others. 

Name one of the that has been really successful and have experience in college coaching and recruiting.

12 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Miller is on very very borrowed time. He doesnt have the luxury of waiting three years for those guys to develop.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

For some reason I think Geronimo will be a player that will come in and surprise people.

Scott - this is a question, not an argument... do you think he or Galloway or Leal really have the potential to come in and start?  that's all i'm asking as i have not seen them play.  because my point is not that they won't eventually be solid players.  i'm just saying if we're going to be any better next year i would think we'd need someone to come in and be more than just a pleasant surprise off the bench.  maybe not with the addition by subtraction with some, but it still seems we'll have pretty much the same problems.  

20 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

so, admittedly i have not seen him play, but he won't come in and start right away, correct?  i know people get all over me when i mention rankings, but hard to see a guy around 100 coming in right away and starting and being a difference maker right?  i'm just skeptical that we'll be much better next year.  that's what really scares me.  i like the Brunk/TJD combo more than most and i like RP, but just not sure who is going to make the difference at SG and SF.  i have to admit i'm getting much more optimistic with Hunter though.  i mean if Galloway can come in and be an immediate impact at SG and that makes us a tourney team, i'll be very happy with the progress.  i'm just skeptical as always!

I think it's foolish to expect any individual guy will come in and immediately outplay his ranking: the people who make those are pretty good at what they do. That said, when we have 3 spots at a guy outplaying his roughly 100th ranking, I think it's reasonable to hope one of them is able to be a quality starter (though certainly not a star) his freshman year. If one of those guys can push Franklin to the bench and one of them can out play Durham (or at least tie him) for back up minutes, I think we are in good shape next year. We (presumably) have a lot returning and lose nothing of value (no slight on De'Ron intended).

7 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’ve been on the wagon and off the wagon on Archie.  After rewatching the game (I’m stupid) two things stood out.  1.  His substitutions are more baffling than Creans. 2.  He’s not real comfortable making his own decisions.  Every decision he makes goes through his assistants.  To me that’s scary. I like Archie and wanted him to succeed but I think the writing is on the wall much like it was for Crean.  He’s a dead man walking.  One other point, everybody wins at Dayton, everyone.  Anthony Grant was atrocious at Bama, he’s got a top 10 team now at Dayton.  Doesn’t mean they can’t coach, means they just can’t cut it in the big leagues.

Interesting takes but one I disagree with...Jim O'Brien lost at Dayton.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Name one of the that has been really successful and have experience in college coaching and recruiting.

That is a constraint that would always be used for why not.  In a world of innovation, you have to take risks and ask why it wouldn't work.

Today, you have a recruiting budget and you hire a lead recruiter and that is his/her job.  One has to think any of those names have weight with Indiana coaches to get an inside track.

They played the game with basketball IQ, have experienced motivating NBA kids, and played the game at an elite level as well.  None had an easy path, playing for Knight.  They know what it takes and what it means to wear Indiana.  That's why they worked on this reunion.

Who cares who won and recruited well?  You need 7 players that play the game the right way and tell me how they couldnt accomplish that at Indiana.  

7 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Scott - this is a question, not an argument... do you think he or Galloway or Leal really have the potential to come in and start?  that's all i'm asking as i have not seen them play.  because my point is not that they won't eventually be solid players.  i'm just saying if we're going to be any better next year i would think we'd need someone to come in and be more than just a pleasant surprise off the bench.  maybe not with the addition by subtraction with some, but it still seems we'll have pretty much the same problems.  

Have no idea but looking at next year we need RP to get fully healthy and get back to playing like he did before his injury last year.  TJD needs another year in the weight room and he has to develop a fam away from the basket.  I think with an off season fully healthy that Hunter will develop into a starter at the 3 and become a very goo player.  To me those are 3 guys who I think you can build your starting lineup around.  This is a big if but if Race could ever stay healthy and be able to contribute I think he would be a good starter at the 4.  To me you would need to recruit a JC or grad transfer who could start at the 2 and he needs to be a great shooter.  I guess saying this, I don't think any of those 3 freshman would have to come in and be a starter but be good role players off the bench.

5 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Totally agree. Its clear he is over his head at this level but the iu brass always waits way to long to make a move. So of course they will wait at least another year. Stiff baffling to me we never went after chris mack or greg marshall.

11 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I definitely notice him listening and assistants talking a lot more than I would expect. I don't really know what to make of that. Is that them making decisions? It could be, but it also could just be them sharing their input about whatever situation and him making the final call without ever explaining it to the assistants. I have to assume it's the later, but who knows.

2 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

That is a constraint that would always be used for why not.  In a world of innovation, you have to take risks and ask why it wouldn't work.

Today, you have a recruiting budget and you hire a lead recruiter and that is his/her job.  One has to think any of those names have wait with Indiana coaches to get an inside track.

They played the game with basketball IQ, have experienced motivating NBA kids, and played the game at an elite level as well.  None had an easy path, playing for Knight.  They know what it takes and what it means to wear Indiana.  That's why they worked on this reunion.

Who cares who won and recruited well?  You need 7 players that play the game the right way and tell me how they couldnt accomplish that at Indiana.  

Just because you were a great player or coached in the NBA does not mean you will succeed in the college game.  IT already showed he was not successful at the NBA or the college level in coaching.  Players like Mullins, Clyde Drexler did not do anything as a college coach and Ewing and Hardaway has not set the world on fire either.

Archived