The H🔥T Seat

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just because you were a great player or coached in the NBA does not mean you will succeed in the college game.  IT already showed he was not successful at the NBA or the college level in coaching.  Players like Mullins, Clyde Drexler did not do anything as a college coach and Ewing and Hardaway has not set the world on fire either.

Crean, Archie, and some of the "college" coaches allways being mentioned hasn't either.  Bottom line, you need the right fit.  An Indiana player has a lot more weight than some of those other coaches have in their states.  It's Indiana basketball, a lot different then Memphis, St. Johns, etc.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Crean, Archie, and some of the "college" coaches allways being mentioned hasn't either.  Bottom line, you need the right fit.  An Indiana player has a lot more weight than some of those other coaches have in their states.  It's Indiana basketball, a lot different then Memphis, St. Johns, etc.

We need someone with an electric personality who craves the spotlight.  Someone who likes attention.  That’s why Pearl would be such a great fit.  He craves the attention.  He’s basically Cal on speed.  This is not a job for introverts.

3 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Those guys played at Memphis St and St. Johns, also was RMK an Indiana guy when he was hired.  Never understood the mentality that it had to be a Indiana guy for a coach to succeed here.

4 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Whoa...forget about states.  Memphis and NYC are "hot beds" for talent.  But I get and see your point.

Just now, rico said:

Whoa...forget about states.  Memphis and NYC are "hot beds" for talent.  But I get and see your point.

No doubt about it, those kids do not grow up wanting to play for those schools.  Not all, and I am not naive enough to know that IU is loosing some of that with this 20 year road block.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Those guys played at Memphis St and St. Johns, also was RMK an Indiana guy when he was hired.  Never understood the mentality that it had to be a Indiana guy for a coach to succeed here.

RMK is a once in a life time talent, period.  RMK is also a historian and played in the Big Ten.  He had a personality that fit IU basketball at that time and the program needed discipline.  

45 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If that is true that was said by Glass before he decided to retire.  The new AD coming in might not think the same way so that comment might not hold up.

This is what I was wondering. I believe that Billingsley has good intel and sources, and the conversation probably happened, but a new AD might want to wait a year to evaluate the situation for himself...then again, if things don't get turned around here who knows.

11 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

This is what I was wondering. I believe that Billingsley has good intel and sources, and the conversation probably happened, but a new AD might want to wait a year to evaluate the situation for himself...then again, if things don't get turned around here who knows.

Fair point about waiting.  But on the other hand, if you strike early, fans will understand that you're serious about restoring the program and maybe, just maybe, it demonstrates the new AD has a much longer leash and more program control than we've been led to believe Glass has had.  Maybe the BOT has made it clear they want a change.

43 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It’s not about it being an Indiana guy per say. It’s more about the former Indiana players feel like that the program has pushed them away and things have been bad ever since the university went away from RMK and anyone associated with him. Including his former players. That hurts them on a more personal level than many fans would ever begin to understand. They feel like at this point a former Knight player deserves a chance. Dakich doesn’t count because he was an interim and that’s a difficult situation for anyone.

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

No, because I don't want to publicly name guys that I wish would go.  I will say that there are probably 5 players that could announce they are leaving, graduating, or transferring next year and I wouldn't bat an eye.

I'd bat an eye  if TJD announced he was graduating....:coffee:

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

We need someone with an electric personality who craves the spotlight.  Someone who likes attention.  That’s why Pearl would be such a great fit.  He craves the attention.  He’s basically Cal on speed.  This is not a job for introverts.

But that seems to go against the type of personality that IU's administration is likely to hire...if I'm understanding the argument some have made.

10 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

So let's say against Iowa, Coach starts the last 5 guys on the bench and plays them the full 40 minutes.  They play with effort but, we lose at home by 50.

Did Archie

A) Finally send a message that was a long time coming?

or

B) Lose his mind and give up on the season?

B

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

That’s why Pearl would be such a great fit.  He craves the attention.  He’s basically Cal on speed.  This is not a job for introverts.

If IU ever hired Pearl, and I think he's a good coach, 90% of the guys who were on the court at halftime yesterday would never be seen near AH again. Most of the former players hated the Sampson hire.

"It's an absolute disgrace," former Hoosiers star Ted Kitchel told the Indianapolis Star about Sampson's hiring. "I wouldn't hire that guy to coach my fifth-grade girls team. That guy is absolutely what we don't want at IU."

"Pearl's success at Milwaukee earned him the job at Tennessee, and he quickly turned around what had long been considered a football school. But in the summer of 2008, he invited prep prospect Aaron Craft to his home for a barbecue while on an unofficial visit. Pearl knew it was an NCAA violation, and he even encouraged those in attendance to keep it under wraps. When additional violations were found, Pearl was fired by Tennessee."

"The NCAA also gave him a three-year show-cause penalty, forcing Pearl into basketball purgatory. But when that expired, Auburn came calling with an offer to return to the SEC."

"Pearl quickly turned around the Tigers, just like he did the Vols. But then last season, associate head coach Chuck Person was ensnared in the FBI probe and subsequently fired, and eligibility questions were raised about for Austin Wiley and Danjel Purifoy, two members of this year's Final Four team."

"It was difficult," Pearl acknowledged, "but I knew all that I knew and I knew all that I didn't know. So therefore, I was comfortable that if we stayed the course, we were going to be fine."

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Spoken like a true lawyer...

Why, pray tell, would that be requisite to coach a basketball team?

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Spoken like a true lawyer...

Why, pray tell, would that be requisite to coach a basketball team?

Because our fan base will eat them alive otherwise.  This the ultimate pressure cooker job.  You must have the personality to deal with the fans and the media.  You can’t get disgruntled and roll your eyes when asked about load management for example.

17 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Because our fan base will eat them alive otherwise.  This the ultimate pressure cooker job.  You must have the personality to deal with the fans and the media.  You can’t get disgruntled and roll your eyes when asked about load management for example.

Why can't the fan base stop being one of the problems because like you said they eat them alive.  Why can't the fans actually let the coaches do their job without having to worry about the fan base at every turn.

4 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Purdue has a coach. Maybe not top 5 in the country but by end of the year there is no doubt they are much better that the beginning.  Been a while since IU fans can say that

No doubt for sure. When Painter went 4 straight years without a tourney win and missed the tourney 2x in a row after being on the job for 7 years....that took some serious strength at Purdue I guess to keep him around. Most places he's at the unemployment line. Maybe we should show the same patience?

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

No doubt for sure. When Painter went 4 straight years without a tourney win and missed the tourney 2x in a row after being on the job for 7 years....that took some serious strength at Purdue I guess to keep him around. Most places he's at the unemployment line. Maybe we should show the same patience?

If Painter was coach of IU with the same overall record as he has at Purdue, what would we be saying about the state of the program and the coach?  Just curious.

2 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

If Painter was coach of IU with the same overall record as he has at Purdue, what would we be saying about the state of the program and the coach?  Just curious.

That's kind of why I keep bringing up that 4 year stretch for Painter and Purdue. He's certainly been hitting on something here in recent years....but he's not some coaching savant. To answer your question...he would have been adios after missing tourney 2 straight years after being on the job for 9 years. Crean was let go for less. 

18 hours ago, southsidehoosier said:

How many years do you think he has left coaching? He’s in his 60’s I believe 

Coach K is 72.  Ol' Roy is 69 and Boeheim is 75.   

If we got 7 or 8 years from Beilein I'd take him in a heartbeat.   Hell I'd go one further and offer him the AD position on top of the coaching job.  Give him whatever he wants and needs and a staff that allows him to focus on basketball.  Let him right the ship and pass on the job when he's ready.  Then he can be the fulltime AD.   I'd give that offer to any of the big names we constantly throw out(Steven's, Donovan and Few).

I can't imagine IU ever doing it but that's the kind of deal that itll take to land a big fish.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Archived