The H🔥T Seat

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JugRox said:

1. IU is not going to pay a coach $7 million a year

2. IU tried to hire those NBA guys 2 years ago. They weren’t interested then and they aren’t interested now.

3. Stevens doesn’t like college basketball recruiting and prefers the NBA. He is considered one of the best young coaches in the NBA. He isn’t going anywhere 

If a change happens, it will be another mid major coach. Donovan, Stevens are not walking through that door.

Powerball numbers please?

Again, the only thing you can really speculate on is whether or not Indiana would offer that kind of money.  Unless you personally know Donovan and Stevens, respectfully, you don't know jack about what they would or would not do.

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Things can change rapidly but certainly not likely. Crean was only able to turn it around in year 4 because he had a stud coming in. We do not. 

Fair enough , and I'm just being fair . Not gonna lie .After the first bit , the rest was not typed with a straight face .Lol

Humor aside I've grew up with , played with , played against several B1G caliber players.

Did so as a very young adult as well. The one thing I feel strongly about is some of these kids are going to be part of the answer if Miller gets time.

"Time " is the sticking point some of us have in this conversation.. I think timing of circumstnces hasn't been stable. All I could say doesn't cover the fact that Im not happy with what I';ve saw. I just think he is capable of winning and the core guys aren't going to be a total failure if the right pieces are around the returning players. I am starting to lose some faith in a couple current players. But I've been wrong enough to know it's not over as long as there are minutes. There are things that have flashed too few times. Open shots that don't go in make the rest look so much worse. Just how it is sometimes. 

The other main thing I summed up in a context of what i think the team needs in player recruits is typed in the TJD Staying thread. It ties directly to my feelings on Miller's situation THIS YEAR as well. If a Coach has his hands tied on discipline there are other means of handing that down …......unless this "era of litigation" and lawsuits has scared the balls out of the winners who will fight teammates for taking plays off, repeatedly making the same errors or making them look bad in general in a way that can be corrected.  My personal experiences were being on teams  with multiple guys willing to either fist fight, cuss guys out,  or take guys out of the game ourselves if they didn't ball hard.Because who wants their butt kicked for being soft on the floor. That took care of itself trust that.This group doesn't handle that aspect of intra-[layer enforcement itself .Clearly. If so they aren't reaching everyone who gets minutes. 

Personally, I wouldn't feel comfy building a roster without at least one kid who won't get in someone's face. We have fans expecting players who just aren't of a certain mental make up to be something they may not be nor be able to learn. The non-Crean guys Miller has added appear mostly willing to grind and go full all out on the floor, but that still falls well short of what I described in terms of personality traits.

There is plenty of money out there if IU could get the right coach interested.  Anyone that says IU can’t pay a crazy salary is incorrect IMO, but I think a better question that has been pointed out is will the administration let that happen.  With a new AD, a new president, and a lot of anxious donors anything can happen.  A lot of factors still up in the air before anyone can make a true determination of who IU can and cannot get.

Note:  this post in no ways states I am ready for a change, merely pointing out a lot of fluid areas that will dictate what IU does if Archie was let go.  First point in time I would look at is the date they hire/identify the new AD.  If it’s before the basketball season is over or after will say a lot.  No way Glass lets Archie go as a lame duck AD, you have to leave that to the next AD.  But if he is hired well after the NCAA ends I don’t see Archie going anywhere.

11 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Something that I have never seen talked about before but seems to be another barrier. 

IU is in a weird situation where the students and administrators and city  lean toward a particur political persuasion that isn't compatible with alot of the fan base and probably some local recruits.

Time to change your prescription.

11 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Can you give me the lotto numbers for next week?  If not you, maybe BEKA can.

Seriously, you never know unless you throw the offer out there.  And those NBA guys may be willing to leave if the price is right...$7 million a year speaks volumes.  That is nearly double the current salary of Stevens and it is $3 million more than Donovan is making.  That would get their attention.

Again listen to the interview with Chris Denari of the Pacers  was on a trip with the NBA and Stevens was on that rip as well.  Denari and Stevens and his wife was talking and Denari asked why he left Butler for the Celtics.  He said first it is the Celtics and secondly he did not like what recruiting has become in college.  His wife said she loves him coaching in the NBA better because there are more quality family time when they are in the  NBA.  Also why do you think IU will offer someone 7-8 million dollars because we don't have the revenue as some of the other bigger schools.

As for a guy like Mark Few I watched the show Men of March on CBS Sports and he did say he is not leaving Gonzaga.  He is very content there and has had many chances to leave for more high profile jobs like UCLA and Oregon.   If you saw his house and the location and know what his interest are then you would know he is not leaving no matter how much money is offered.

12 hours ago, BDB said:

Scott, this probably happens at most schools.  I live in Ames Iowa and the fans are livid with Steve Prohm the past two years.  There is a 164 page thread on why he must go.

2 very good friends who went to Iowa St and one nephew who does now....all say the same. Want him gone. I laugh at people when they think IU and "our fans" are the only ones who get anxious. Quite honestly....I think if anything IU fans are allowed that anxiousness more than others because of what we've had to put up with for 20 years.

Brad Stevens is NOT coming to Indiana. He loves Boston, he coaches for a great organization with strong ownership and a cohesive, accomplished front office that loves him back, and he’s got one of the best young cores in the NBA that ready to compete now and into the future. 

It is not happening. 

Coaches that 100% wouldn't take the IU job if it opened up include Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan that is true. That said there are plenty of coaches that could do a better job coaching at Indiana than what Archie is doing right now. He talks about toughness and discipline but his teams aren't showing either. His defense hasn't been completley awful but his teams can't score and aren't playing defense good enough to win like that like Virginia. As for who IU should go after that is a rather simple answer with about 5 different guys but I'm going to save that for later because some people will disagree. 

I hate this conversation because it's so premature with our admin and after what we went through with Crean.  Basically a dead man walking for the last 4 years.  We all knew that Yogi carried that team and once he left it became apparent to everyone the end had come, but yet it took two more years.  

Here's a guy that would kill it here.  Fred Hoiberg.  

Just now, DC2345 said:

Coaches that 100% wouldn't take the IU job if it opened up include Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan that is true. That said there are plenty of coaches that could do a better job coaching at Indiana than what Archie is doing right now. He talks about toughness and discipline but his teams aren't showing either. His defense hasn't been completley awful but his teams can't score and aren't playing defense good enough to win like that like Virginia. As for who IU should go after that is a rather simple answer with about 5 different guys but I'm going to save that for later because some people will disagree. 

Like who and remember be realistic.  I don't see Beard leaving the state of Texas and Pearl won't be hired because of his past troubles with the NCAA.  After that no big time coaches would leave their current position to come to IU.  I think as IU fans we think everyone looks at IU like we do and thinks it is a top job and anyone would leave for.  The problem is that people outside of IU fans don't view IU like that nay longer.

10 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Powerball numbers please?

Again, the only thing you can really speculate on is whether or not Indiana would offer that kind of money.  Unless you personally know Donovan and Stevens, respectfully, you don't know jack about what they would or would not do.

I hate speaking in absolutes,  but Brad is successfully coaching the BOSTON CELTICS.  You definitely have a better chance of hitting the lottery,  than does IU of landing Stevens.  

I'd say at this point that any reaction with respect to what to do with CAM is fair. But, I also think he deserves one more year to see what kind of team he has built, especially with respect to chemistry. It just doesn't seem like these guys are meshing in any way, shape, or form. I can't remember specifics, but there was a play where one of our players drove the lane and got knocked down, and the other 4 guys just sort of stood there for a beat or two before going to help him up. It was almost like they remembered that helping him up was something they were supposed to do, instead of something they wanted to do. This team just doesn't feel right, and we seemed to have the same problem last year, which definitely makes me concerned that this is more on CAM than anyone else.  

17 minutes ago, Jam said:

Unfortunately, I don’t think this recruiting class offers much promise. Decent depth players but no program changers.

I think because this class doesn't have any program changers (Cody,etc..) it gets really underrated. I have some issues within our program and play....but these 3 kids (as it stands now) are really good basketball players and honestly I think you'll see all make significant contributions next year once some of the departures happen.

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think because this class doesn't have any program changers (Cody,etc..) it gets really underrated. I have some issues within our program and play....but these 3 kids (as it stands now) are really good basketball players and honestly I think you'll see all make significant contributions next year once some of the departures happen.

The class of VO and Sheehey was not considered program changing and it was.

On 2/8/2020 at 9:11 PM, IUwins0708 said:

Jarrod Odel tweeted that the team has a cancer.  He said they had one in 2001 and after he left they got better.  He made sure everyone knew it wasn’t Haston.  He said he knows the team will be much better next season because the cancer will be gone.

Had to be Andre Owens. 

19 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I'd say at this point that any reaction with respect to what to do with CAM is fair. But, I also think he deserves one more year to see what kind of team he has built, especially with respect to chemistry. It just doesn't seem like these guys are meshing in any way, shape, or form. I can't remember specifics, but there was a play where one of our players drove the lane and got knocked down, and the other 4 guys just sort of stood there for a beat or two before going to help him up. It was almost like they remembered that helping him up was something they were supposed to do, instead of something they wanted to do. This team just doesn't feel right, and we seemed to have the same problem last year, which definitely makes me concerned that this is more on CAM than anyone else.  

Even though I think it’s probably over, there’s really no benefit to getting rid of him after this season.  All of the realistic candidates will still be there in 2021, and who knows, maybe one of the Hail Mary candidates like Donovan will be looking for a job by then.  Archie probably also does deserve one last chance to show what he can do with his first “real class” being upperclassmen.

The one wildcard is the 2021 recruiting class.  If/when this season ends up finishing like it looks it’s going to, have to think we won’t be in a great position with the big fish in 2021.  But anyone we’d bring in this year would probably be behind the eight ball in that respect anyway.  And who knows, maybe Archie gets desperate and starts throwing cash around to try and save his job.

16 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Problem is next years team needs start now B1G material players.  This class, though filled with high IQ actual basketball players, does not have start now ready guys.  

I don't necessarily agree that we need a starter out of who we already have in this class.  If everything goes to plan this off season and people get healthy I see one spot in the starting lineup and to me that is at the 2G.  If RP can get totally healthy and back to where he was before the injury that is your PG.  I think with an off season to be able to work out that Hunter will be the starting SF.  This next one will be on my assumption that Smith will not be back which I have thought since before this season started.  I think that if healthy I could see Race being the 4 in the starting lineup.  I feel that TJD will get bigger and stronger and will be the starter at the 5.  Also you can put Brunk in the starting lineup over race.  I think we need to go out and get either a JC or a grand transfer for the  starting 2.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Like who and remember be realistic.  I don't see Beard leaving the state of Texas and Pearl won't be hired because of his past troubles with the NCAA.  After that no big time coaches would leave their current position to come to IU.  I think as IU fans we think everyone looks at IU like we do and thinks it is a top job and anyone would leave for.  The problem is that people outside of IU fans don't view IU like that nay longer.

Actually IU is still viewed as one of the better jobs in the country by college coaches. That said this would be my 5 man short list. Yes I know one will get shot down but I honeslty don't care. 

1. Kevin Willard 

2. Steve Alford (I don't need the comments from all the haters)

3. Travis Steele

4. Chris Beard (might not leave but I'd still try to negotiate. Especially since Knight has returned and that situation might not be as akward now.)

5. Bruce Pearl (I don't care I make the call)

I would also look at IU alums like Wittman if they can put together a staff with former players and good recruiters that have college experience. I'd also make the obvious phone calls too but I doubt it would go anywhere but who knows. 

Archived