The H🔥T Seat

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

Glass, in August!!! If you need the exact date I could find out since like I said the source is good. 1 of the 2 coaches I mentioned calls this person by something much closer than his first name. 

What I've heard is the athletic department is doesn't have any money and Glass has had to barrow from other departments recently. I've also seen it speculated that Glass is retiring because of the Archie situation but I'm not sure about that one. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Glass, in August!!! If you need the exact date I could find out since like I said the source is good. 1 of the 2 coaches I mentioned calls this person by something much closer than his first name. 

So, Glass game an ultimatum in August so he could retire a few months later and not be able to fire Miller anyway?

Just now, DC2345 said:

What I've heard is the athletic department is doesn't have any money and Glass has had to barrow from other departments recently. I've also seen it speculated that Glass is retiring because of the Archie situation but I'm not sure about that one. 

I can speculate on any of that. The conversation was had well before Glass announced his retirement.  All roads seem to be to Dolson so not sure how much things will change. 

3 minutes ago, Bob said:

I am sorry, I loved Alford when played at IU. His coaching record isn’t that outstanding to believe he is the guy to bring us back! I am just not sold on Alford as a coach. Lost at Iowa got fired at UCLA. 

Dolson was a manager while Alford was at IU. They have a connection and that's why I said that I think he hires Alford. 

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

I can speculate on any of that. The conversation was had well before Glass announced his retirement.  All roads seem to be to Dolson so not sure how much things will change. 

I agree but I think Dolson will eventually hire Alford like I've stated. 

Just now, JugRox said:

So, Glass game an ultimatum in August so he could retire a few months later and not be able to fire Miller anyway?

My guess is that in August he had not made up his mind on retiring. The person that told me this had no reason to make it up since his family would be directly impacted if this do not go well.

32 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

All 5 starters are Archie recruits.  He has his guys.  Deron can’t play and Devonte shouldn’t even be on the team anymore.  This is all on Archie.

Are any of Archie’s guys Juniors and Seniors besides Brunk being his first year? No... it takes good juniors and seniors to win and Archie’s guys aren’t there yet. I’ll start my judgment next year. 

3 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Are any of Archie’s guys Juniors and Seniors besides Brunk being his first year? No... it takes good juniors and seniors to win and Archie’s guys aren’t there yet. I’ll start my judgment next year. 

Completely fair, and I'm actually with you on this. But, I also don't fault those that are questioning CAM right now. We're seeing the exact same issues we saw last year - low basketball IQ plays (that behind the back pass by Green should have landed him on the bench for the rest of his career), an inability to shoot or to consistently run any sort of competent offense leading to huge stretches of nothing, a defense that leaves opponents absolutely wide open behind the arc on a regular basis,  and a general overall perceived lack of effort or energy. We're also starting to see it at home as well as on the road, so the excuse that it's because these are road games is out the window. Simply put, this is not quality basketball in any aspect and, with this schedule, we're staring at another long losing stretch similar to last year. 

It's frankly pretty embarrassing to watch.

Finally got to the end of this thread and to be honest its been quit comical. The same people who wanted the last coach gone are now defending this coach. I've one question. Name one player in the last  3 years that has improved from one year to another?  I can't think of one player that has improved and that is on the the coach and coaching staff. Someone mentioned once Hunter gets another year and offseason under his belt he will be much better.  What makes you think that? 

4 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Completely fair, and I'm actually with you on this. But, I also don't fault those that are questioning CAM right now. We're seeing the exact same issues we saw last year - low basketball IQ plays (that behind the back pass by Green should have landed him on the bench for the rest of his career), an inability to shoot or to consistently run any sort of competent offense leading to huge stretches of nothing, a defense that leaves opponents absolutely wide open behind the arc on a regular basis,  and a general overall perceived lack of effort or energy. We're also starting to see it at home as well as on the road, so the excuse that it's because these are road games is out the window. Simply put, this is not quality basketball in any aspect and, with this schedule, we're staring at another long losing stretch similar to last year. 

It's frankly pretty embarrassing to watch.

There is nothing wrong with questioning his coaching but to have a thread about possible replacements is over board if you ask me.

1 minute ago, HMSHoosier said:

Finally got to the end of this thread and to be honest its been quit comical. The same people who wanted the last coach gone are now defending this coach. I've one question. Name one player in the last  3 years that has improved from one year to another?  I can't think of one player that has improved and that is on the the coach and coaching staff. Someone mentioned once Hunter gets another year and offseason under his belt he will be much better.  What makes you think that? 

I’ve said this before, regardless of whose players that Archie has, can anyone really say that improvement is evident from year 1 to now?  

2 minutes ago, HMSHoosier said:

Because I have seen growth in his game in the last month and to have a hole off season to work out instead of rehab he will only get better.  Also TJD will only get better with more work in the weight room and he needs to work on shooting away from the basket.

2 minutes ago, HMSHoosier said:

I realize you are talking about coaching, but I do have to say that Hunter (along with TJD, obviously) is proving himself to be a real bright spot.  He shows all the signs you want.  Team guy, plays hard, competitive, long, athletic, confident.  Defends, blocks out, competes.  We are seeing him blossom and he's only a freshman.

This year, I'd say he's more of a shooter and I would like to see him become much more of a scorer.  Work on slashing, taking a smaller guy into the post and abuse him, etc.  As a freshman, there is a ton of room for improvement.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Because I have seen growth in his game in the last month and to have a hole off season to work out instead of rehab he will only get better.  Also TJD will only get better with more work in the weight room and he needs to work on shooting away from the basket.

Based on what I've seen the last three years i won't hold my breath. Who's going to work on his shot with him? Have you not seen how we shot now?

42 minutes ago, Vincent14 said:

They have both said they are interested in coming back to college.  I don't think you realize that most coaches would prefer to coach college than pro.  Pro coaches aren't as crucial to a team's success as college coaches are.   They are hanging around grown men who make more than them who basically coach themselves.  Think of the best coaches of all time, Bob Knight, Roy Williams, Dean Smith, John Wooden, Coach K, there aren't equivalents in the NBA.

That's your opinion.  I happen to think Red Auerbach, Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, Steve Kerr, Gregg Popovich, Lennie Wilkens are some great coaches as well.

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I realize you are talking about coaching, but I do have to say that Hunter (along with TJD, obviously) is proving himself to be a real bright spot.  He shows all the signs you want.  Team guy, plays hard, competitive, long, athletic, confident.  Defends, blocks out, competes.  We are seeing him blossom and he's only a freshman.

This year, I'd say he's more of a shooter and I would like to see him become much more of a scorer.  Work on slashing, taking a smaller guy into the post and abuse him, etc.  As a freshman, there is a ton of room for improvement.

I hope your right

6 minutes ago, HMSHoosier said:

The one player that I would say has improved is Race Thompson.  however , I bet chances are you will see improvement from Archie's recruits.   I am also one that thought this would be A LOT better than last year.  We shall see, it's not looking good.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I'm just dumbfounded at where IU is at as a program right now. I do believe a lot of this lies on the administration. At some point when you've had 5 different head coaches (counting Knight's last several years, Davis, Sampson, Crean & Archie) and the results are basically the same, you have to go higher than the coach. It's like a company that keeps trending down and fires their CEO every 2 years. At some point you have to look at the BOD, Chairman and the overall culture/support that the organization is giving to their CEO's. 

With all of that said, I'm just not sure what to make of Archie at this point. I'm just really confused about who he is or what is going on with him? He wasn't my first choice mid-way through Crean's last year when it was clear a change was coming, but then I did more research on him and began to get excited about him. I knew he was a hard-nosed, gritty player, but didn't realize he had been an assistant at all three of NC State, Arizona and Ohio State. You have to be able to recruit at those places, especially at Zona and OSU under Matta. 

Then knowing his Dayton success and track record in both the regular season, A-10 Tournament and NCAA tournament, I thought we were getting this gritty, no-nonsense, disciplined defensive coach that would have even more efficient offenses with better recruiting at IU, that had a chance to be a great, long-term coach. I knew he had taken a Dayton team that lost 3 starters and 4 seniors from the Elite 8 team and came back with nobody over 6'6" to 27 wins and won 2 NCAA Tournament games, which shows he can coach. 

Then he said all the right things at his intro press conference, he locked down the state, he said all the right things in post-game press conferences, etc., etc., but for whatever reason the Archie Miller of the last two seasons is not the same guy. He's not the guy I read about and have heard speak. He's not the guy that was given the "Archie" nickname because he was so no-nonsense, etc. 

I'm not giving up on Archie completely. I still think he can be a fantastic fit at IU, and I really want him to succeed. But, I'm just not seeing the same guy that I read about prior to his hiring. It's like he's a different person and I don't get it, or maybe I misread who I thought he was. I thought we'd have teams built in the mold of his personality. Teams that despite talent or lack thereof, would be pitbulls to play. Teams that opponents hated to play in Assembly Hall because it would be a war regardless of how good or bad IU actually was. 

I'm just really dumbfounded and surprised that in year 3 Archie can't get his team to play hard consistently and that his team seems completely opposite from his personality. I just don't get it. 

For one of the smartest and most thoughtful guys in our group, you have outdone yourself.  This is such a great post.  It's better than what a paid columnist could come up with.

I have to say, I have gone radio silent in recent days.  I am just trying to collect my thoughts, in a very complicated situation, but this post resonated with me.  You've captured it.

8 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

That's your opinion.  I happen to think Red Auerbach, Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, Steve Kerr, Gregg Popovich, Lennie Wilkens are some great coaches as well.

Agree and the circumstances are changing to give NBA coaches a much higher profile than decades past.  The IU fan base is great and we have tremendous enthusiasm/passion for IU.  But, if you look broader, college basketball has taken a massive step back in, say, the past quarter century compared with (a) the NBA, and (b) college football.  Those two products are lapping college basketball.  You could write a book on the why's, but my point is that pro basketball is much higher profile these days.  Ten years from now, when Roy and K and Boeheim and some of these remaining big name older coaches are gone, I don't know that the vacuum gets filled, unless the college game figures out a way to trend positively, the way college football has.

Archived