The H🔥T Seat

To over simplify things its like the guy that finds out the most beautiful girl in school wants him and he has always had a crush on her and when they start dating he tries to be the jock or prep or whatever he thinks she wants, and in reality all she wants is him. By the time he realizes it she is about to replace him. The only question to ask, is there time to get the Archie Miller we hired and not the one trying to be something that he is not. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Agree and the circumstances are changing to give NBA coaches a much higher profile than decades past.  The IU fan base is great and we have tremendous enthusiasm/passion for IU.  But, if you look broader, college basketball has taken a massive step back in, say, the past quarter century compared with (a) the NBA, and (b) college football.  Those two products are lapping college basketball.  You could write a book on the why's, but my point is that pro basketball is much higher profile these days.  Ten years from now, when Roy and K and Boeheim and some of these remaining big name older coaches are gone, I don't know that the vacuum gets filled, unless the college game figures out a way to trend positively, the way college football has.

To me I would think it would be a little easier coaching in the NBA, not because coaching is easier but what you have to deal with.  In the NBA it is just about basketball and you really don't have to worry about building your roster because that is what the GM does.  You don't have to baby sit your players making sure they go to class and stay out of trouble.  You don't have to worry about the NCAA rules and making sure your alumni or other coaches are breaking the rules.  You don't have to deal with recruiting and catering to what a 17 year old kid is going to do.  Lastly you don't have to deal with parents who think their kid is the next Jordan and are unhappy with their kids playing time.

On 2/9/2020 at 11:56 AM, Billingsley99 said:

I have been called crazy before and been wrong with info before but I will say it again. Not from the horses mouth but pretty close. Tom Allen was told bowl or bust and CAM told tourney or bust. Take it with grain of salt but source is pretty darn good

If that's true, it could explain why he's still playing certain guys instead of benching them to teach them a lesson, taking the losses but playing guys for the future or that give a crap but aren't talented/good enough to win. 

I just don't get how Archie's Dayton teams would beat his IU teams. How he's won his last 3 vs. MSU, but winless vs. Turdue. How his Dayton team's identities are almost the opposite of his IU ones. 

I went to the game Saturday. I'm going to the Wisconsin game. It will be interesting to see how different the crowd feels by then.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

First to be clear, and this is not directed at you, I'm not calling for his head. But, I am in year 3 disappointed in the product on the court and the effort/intensity of the team. 

To your post, I think in year 3 that what I was referring to (playing hard, playing with passion and being tough consistently) shouldn't be as much of an issue as it is, especially for someone supposedly with Archie's temperament. In addition, if there are square pegs that can't play hard and play with passion, we're at a point where those guys shouldn't play then. They should be benched. Archie talked a lot after the NW game about making big changes, he talked about it again after one of the recent loses, and yet we see the same things over and over again. The same guys playing. 

I agree, we can't comment on practice, etc., all we see if 40 minutes of game time 1-2 times per week. But at some point the Archie that we thought we were getting needs to show up. There's got to be some desperation from his seat, or this won't end well. 

What's most baffling to me, at this point, is Archie protecting these guys from the media. Archie always seems to take the blame, and then insinuate "changes coming".

This far into the season, lack of effort shouldn't be protected. Archie needs to start holding people accountable. Example, Bob Knight talking about Steve Alford after they narrowly beat Northwestern. Folks need to give that a listen. Love him or hate him, that's holding guys accountable.

1 hour ago, JugRox said:

UCLA was laughed at while doing their search last year. 

https://www.si.com/college/2019/04/15/ucla-coach-search-hire-mick-cronin

Read that article and replace UCLA with Indiana.

UCLA ended up with Mick Cronin after going after the big names and if IU fires Miller, that's exactly the level of coach IU will end up with.

The President doesn't give 2 sh*ts how the basketball team performs, as long as the B10 network money keeps rolling in.

They were laughed at because they went cheap.  I am saying that we should not go cheap.

I actually agree with you about the President and BTN money.  Luckily he is about to get the boot.

13 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

They were laughed at because they went cheap.  I am saying that we should not go cheap.

I actually agree with you about the President and BTN money.  Luckily he is about to get the boot.

They shouldn’t. But they do and will continue to do so. 

I'm disappointed the season has turned South but my belief all along is next year would be the likely turning point if Archie is going to get this thing going.     TJD, Franklin, Phin, Race and Hunter are all basicallly Archie's guy and form the nucleus.  Brunk, Smith and Al should be solid rotation guys as seniors as opposed to what we see out of DeRon and Devonte.     I think that Race and Hunter and Phin will all be very good players to go along with TJD. Race and Phin just can't seem to get healthy and I suspect Hunter did not get to work much on improving his game as opposed to just getting back to the court and playing.   The team Archie has took 3 years to build will be dominated by upperclassmen next year. The team will have had a season and an off season to work on their weaknesses.  A 2021 solid recruiting class seems imperative if TJD goes pro in 2021.   I hope Archie gets another year with his group but if he gets the ax I doubt anyone will be surprised.   Will that depend on the new AD?  What if it is one who want to make a splash? 

22 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

I'm disappointed the season has turned South but my belief all along is next year would be the likely turning point if Archie is going to get this thing going.     TJD, Franklin, Phin, Race and Hunter are all basicallly Archie's guy and form the nucleus.  Brunk, Smith and Al should be solid rotation guys as seniors as opposed to what we see out of DeRon and Devonte.     I think that Race and Hunter and Phin will all be very good players to go along with TJD. Race and Phin just can't seem to get healthy and I suspect Hunter did not get to work much on improving his game as opposed to just getting back to the court and playing.   The team Archie has took 3 years to build will be dominated by upperclassmen next year. The team will have had a season and an off season to work on their weaknesses.  A 2021 solid recruiting class seems imperative if TJD goes pro in 2021.   I hope Archie gets another year with his group but if he gets the ax I doubt anyone will be surprised.   Will that depend on the new AD?  What if it is one who want to make a splash? 

I agree I think next year is a no doubt tournament team. If he can’t do it next year then I’ve lost faith until then I’m just rooting hard 

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

IU won't fire Archie this year as much as they need to unless glass isn't involved with the new hire. That said if it is in fact Dolson that gets the AD job this is what will likely happen. 

1. Archie gets another year because the athletic department is out of money and can't pay the buyout. Rumor has it donor's have talked about stepping in though. 

2. They don't want Glass to make the next hire anyway so they'll wait until he's gone.

3. If Dolson gets the AD job look for him to bring in Alford. Just a gut feeling. 

It was just reported last week that the athletic department was plus 11 million last year.

I don't post much, but have loved the Hoosiers my whole life.  I really appreciate listening to all of the people on this board.  Roast this post if you will, but I don't talk about the Hoosiers on here too much so here goes.

The last 25 years have been really hard to watch.  Especially the last 10.  Hell, people were fed up with Knight and saying how the game had passed him up before he was fired.  The bottom line is simple, we haven't had a true basketball coach in years.  True basketball coaches recruit basketball players and not just elite athletes.  That is what we have athletes with a very few basketball players.  I would wager that as far as basketball IQ goes that guys like Dane Fife, Tom Coverdale, Michael Lewis, Greg Graham, Randy Whitman, etc. would play circles around today's players because of the understanding of the game.  Not because of their athleticism.  We don't have any of that.  Rob has a little of it, TJD some too, but I think you could argue that Brunk brings as much as anyone with his effort and ability to think on his feet.  It is funny how Coach K, Izzo, Few, Stevens, Beard, etc. have elite athletes that develop into high level thinkers as basketball basketball players.  The result is wins.  When was the last time we had a true coach on the floor as a player? Other than Yogi, I would say Coverdale.

No matter who is there next year, or 20 years down the road, if they overlook the small details the result is going to be the same.  Say what you will about Painter (can't stand him), but he teaches the game to be played the right way.  That is how he had to play it as a average athlete in the Big 10. Cutting hard, tenacious defense, relentless attitudes, and that good stuff.  The results speak for themselves.  He gets a ton out of his talent level.  We get  very little in my eyes.  

I want to go back to the days when Chris Reynolds, Greg Graham, and the AJ Moye types of the world hiked up the shorts and got ready to make your life hell with passion and effort for the entire game every night.  Not, one coach since Knight has done that except Sampson.  No way I would ever want him back, but he at least made kids work to play on his teams (I know the off-court nonsense was out of control).  Davis, Crean, and Archie have all failed at that.  We need blue collar kids with a passion for winning no matter what it takes.  If that person is a no name so be it, but complacency sucks and the IU administration seems to be pretty happy with it.

Until that day comes, I will root for the Hoosiers and hope we are on the good side of the score board.

Dakich and Fisch talked about how Archie’s hands are tied today on Daks show.  It was really interesting to hear them say what a coach is and isn’t allowed to do anymore.  Dak brought up the bill of rights and Glass saying he doesn’t like the players treated badly meaning yelled at and such.  It’s worth a listen and luckily it’s in the first 30 minutes of the show. 

9 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Dakich and Fisch talked about how Archie’s hands are tied today on Daks show.  It was really interesting to hear them say what a coach is and isn’t allowed to do anymore.  Dak brought up the bill of rights and Glass saying he doesn’t like the players treated badly meaning yelled at and such.  It’s worth a listen and luckily it’s in the first 30 minutes of the show. 

So it is mainly how our coaches are not allowed to yell and scream at the players.  The AD should not be involved how the coaches interact with players as long as they are not being abusive.  Also did they comment on why Archie just does not bench the problem child's even if he can't discipline them.

13 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Lmao. 🤮

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well I just look at things in a positive light and it appears that you look at everything in a negative light.

I dont feel i look a everything in a negative light. Its just what I see when I have watched the last 2 1/2 years. In the past you could see players improve through the season and take another step forward the following year and then the following year and so on. Sorry but that just has not happened under this coaching staff.  I'm not coming on here calling for anybody to be fired or to be kicked off the team like many others. It's what I see or as many say it doesn't pass the "eye test".  

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So it is mainly how our coaches are not allowed to yell and scream at the players.  The AD should not be involved how the coaches interact with players as long as they are not being abusive.  Also did they comment on why Archie just does not bench the problem child's even if he can't discipline them.

Dakich asked about using the bench and Fisch didn’t have an answer for that.  The whole athletic program needs an overhaul.

To me I would think it would be a little easier coaching in the NBA, not because coaching is easier but what you have to deal with.  In the NBA it is just about basketball and you really don't have to worry about building your roster because that is what the GM does.  You don't have to baby sit your players making sure they go to class and stay out of trouble.  You don't have to worry about the NCAA rules and making sure your alumni or other coaches are breaking the rules.  You don't have to deal with recruiting and catering to what a 17 year old kid is going to do.  Lastly you don't have to deal with parents who think their kid is the next Jordan and are unhappy with their kids playing time.

i think the bottom line is what each coach thinks is "easier" with their personality.  i think coaching in the NBA would be a nightmare with the egos, guys making way more money than you, owners dictating a lot of stuff, etc., etc.  i think it would be very difficult to command respect, discipline guys, on and on.  then you also have guys who aren't motivated anymore and can't do much about that.  i look at that like teaching.  i personally like high school and more specifically freshmen because i feel like i can still get through to them while juniors and seniors think they rule the school.  others can't stand teaching freshmen because they are immature.  others would rather the pros and cons of elementary school.  doesn't mean one is easier, just depends on the fit.  

14 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Dakich asked about using the bench and Fisch didn’t have an answer for that.  The whole athletic program needs an overhaul.

That’s why it doesn’t matter if Gregg Popovich is our coach, the problem is and has been the administration/rogue individuals holding the program back.  They need to be dealt with.

32 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

This just doesn’t make any sense to me.  What is the administration going to do if he yells at the players in practice or uses the bench as a motivator... Fire him?  He’s already on the path to get fired anyway.  I don’t get it.

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This just doesn’t make any sense to me.  What is the administration going to do if he yells at the players in practice or uses the bench as a motivator... Fire him?  He’s already on the path to get fired anyway.  I don’t get it.

this is what i'm saying.  plus if you feel like you can't coach the way you need to in order to be successful, you need to go elsewhere any way.  absolutely no way you sell out.  if you want to sit a guy and the admin won't let you, you should be moving on.  if you can't yell at a guy at the college level, you should be moving on.  

5 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I agree that it sounds like a weird premise.

I think the big negative for college is the recruiting.  

I think you wrong that coaches in the NBA don't worry about the roster building.  I expect they watch plenty of film on how a player can fit into what they want to do and are part of the  decision making process.  Obviously all cases are different.

Sure.  NBA players don't get  into trouble or clash with their coaches. 

Archived