The H🔥T Seat

A few random thoughts:

1) A team is never as good as it looks during its best stretch, nor as bad as it looks during its worst. After the MSU game, having won 4 out of 5, people were talking about how the returning core could compete for a B1G title next year. Now after 4 straight losses, people are ready to burn the thing down.

2) There's no way you can fire Archie this year. Not with the AD and President situations in flux. Even then, he deserves to get 4 years given the limitations placed on him when he came in.

3) The 2021 recruiting class is mission critical for Archie. Recruiting momentum appears to have stalled heading into the best in-state class in recent memory. Like some others, I'm not feeling particularly optimistic at this point, but coaching continuity probably gives you the best shot of landing 2-3 high impact players in the '21 class. Put differently, even if the next recruiting class is disappointing under Archie, it probably would have been from an in-state standpoint with a new coach, too. 

4) If Archie can't right the ship this year or next, then you probably have to pull the plug. At that point, you look at Beard, of course (Pearl is a non-starter, rightly or wrongly, here). I'd also keep close tabs on how Nate Oats does in his first two years at Alabama. He was a hot commodity last year at Buffalo, and is holding his own in year one in Tuscaloosa. If he has a big year two, he could be an ideal target. Midwestern, great recruiter, (at that point) a proven winner in another P5 conference, but at a school clearly a step or two down from IU (in basketball, at least).

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This just doesn’t make any sense to me.  What is the administration going to do if he yells at the players in practice or uses the bench as a motivator... Fire him?  He’s already on the path to get fired anyway.  I don’t get it.

Wish I had the answer for that.  I agree with you.

I have heard from numerous people that this is not only true but probably to a higher degree than we can even imagine.  Someone asked the other day if the admin and athletic department are telling who Archie can play and who he can’t.  I don’t know the real answer but the more I hear it sounds as if Archie is just a puppet.  

5 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I have heard from numerous people that this is not only true but probably to a higher degree than we can even imagine.  Someone asked the other day if the admin and athletic department are telling who Archie can play and who he can’t.  I don’t know the real answer but the more I hear it sounds as if Archie is just a puppet.  

nothing is worth that.  if you are being told who you have to play and how to handle your team, you can't be in that situation.  i am still undecided on Arch, but i have said all along he should get a minimum of 4 years.  still believe that, BUT... what if we really lose 10 in a row?  i still say we may be underdogs in our next 6 games and we have lost 4 in a row as of now.  

7 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I pray this isn't true and as always appreciate the information you bring. Maybe Jim Harbaugh was right when he said they have some issues at IU that go beyond coaching when Crean was let go. 

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

First to be clear, and this is not directed at you, I'm not calling for his head. But, I am in year 3 disappointed in the product on the court and the effort/intensity of the team. 

To your post, I think in year 3 that what I was referring to (playing hard, playing with passion and being tough consistently) shouldn't be as much of an issue as it is, especially for someone supposedly with Archie's temperament. In addition, if there are square pegs that can't play hard and play with passion, we're at a point where those guys shouldn't play then. They should be benched. Archie talked a lot after the NW game about making big changes, he talked about it again after one of the recent loses, and yet we see the same things over and over again. The same guys playing. 

I agree, we can't comment on practice, etc., all we see if 40 minutes of game time 1-2 times per week. But at some point the Archie that we thought we were getting needs to show up. There's got to be some desperation from his seat, or this won't end well. 

4 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

To be honest I don't think we have a legit shot. I am not sure we get any more than 2 wins and may not get those. The wheels fell off last year during Big play they have done the same this year. At the end of the day does it matter if PU beats us by 12 or 30. Maybe we don't have 5 guys that pay hard, if not then whose fault is that?  Bybee may not compete with BIG guards but neither are any of our other guys. At least CAM would show that he has a set of balls.

Everyone talks about CBK getting beat by 50 against Minny. He was sending a message and the message was heard. I for one do not like the message that CAM has sent loud and clear and anyone that knows anything about basketball is lying to themselves if they think he has taken any kind of stand. We have the talent to be better than what we are. 

Quoting you, ."we've seen this same team beat MSU, FSU, OSU, and give a damned good Maryland team a run for their money...so we all know they do have the potential..."  Whose job is it to get the most out of your players. We beat those teams with CTC's players as many want to say. We make excuses about he does not have his players but when we win they its ok, it must have been great coaching.  I am not on the fire CAM bandwagon I just don't think he has done a good job since being hired. 

I respect you both, and your words carry a lot of weight with me...

I, too, get fed up with lackluster effort. I get fed up with style over substance. I get fed up with what I perceive as "attitude." 

But we ARE still in the hunt. And I think Archie is going to play the players he thinks will help us win, warts and all.

I'll leave it at that...

17 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Then Archie should go public.  Didn’t RMK once say publicly that Clarence Doninger wasn’t capable of finding a hooker in a whorehouse or something like that?

25 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

1.) This wouldn’t shock me in the least.

2.) If true Archie should leave.

This is horrific if even slightly true.

4 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

1.) This wouldn’t shock me in the least.

2.) If true Archie should leave.

This is horrific if even slightly true.

It really pisses me off honestly. I’ve watched film of Archie at Dayton.  He’s so much more fiery than he’s showing.  Go to YouTube and watch some of his Dayton games.  He’s ripping players, benched players, you know everything we thought we were getting. 

9 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

If anyone said it, it would’ve been RMK.  That’s funny stuff.

I said one of the job requirements for the IU job was an electric personality.  I’ll add one more...balls.  Archie really needs to grow some if what you’re saying is true.  If he’s being handicapped go public.  He has nothing to lose.

32 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Well well, if this is close to being true, none of the conversations about players, IQ, rotations, shooting, recruiting momentum, etc.  amounts to a hill of beans.  We could throw $20 million at Stevens, pay for hookers, create fake classes, and still will not ever get close enough to catch a wiff of being a blue-blood caliber program.  Also, if true than there is no point in continuing to give any of my time and attention to this program. This is by all intents and purposes a death sentence to IU basketball. Somebody change my mind.

4 hours ago, cybergates said:

If that's true, it could explain why he's still playing certain guys instead of benching them to teach them a lesson, taking the losses but playing guys for the future or that give a crap but aren't talented/good enough to win. 

I just don't get how Archie's Dayton teams would beat his IU teams. How he's won his last 3 vs. MSU, but winless vs. Turdue. How his Dayton team's identities are almost the opposite of his IU ones. 

I went to the game Saturday. I'm going to the Wisconsin game. It will be interesting to see how different the crowd feels by then.

One thing to think about, IU matches up with MSU better than anyone else.  They play similar styles.  

45 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Why?  It does not make sense, not at all.  Just basketball and not other teams?  Football just lost two team captains and a four star running back to transfer.  

5 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

Well well, if this is close to being true, none of the conversations about players, IQ, rotations, shooting, recruiting momentum, etc.  amounts to a hill of beans.  We could throw $20 million at Stevens, pay for hookers, create fake classes, and still will not ever get close enough to catch a wiff of being a blue-blood caliber program.  Also, if true than there is no point in continuing to give any of my time and attention to this program. This is by all intents and purposes a death sentence to IU basketball. Somebody change my mind.

You are dead on. I can’t say I’m 100% sure because I didn’t hear it directly but again just watch old games of Archie at Dayton. He’s the closest to Knight in temperament that I’ve seen in a young coach.  What do we get?  A gum chewer....

27 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Then Archie should go public.  Didn’t RMK once say publicly that Clarence Doninger wasn’t capable of finding a hooker in a whorehouse or something like that?

I thought it was "Steve Alford couldn't lead a whore to bed".  Don't remember what prompted the comment only that he made it.

Just now, Fiveoutofsix said:

Why?  It does not make sense, not at all.  Just basketball and not other teams?  Football just lost two team captains and a four star running back to transfer.  

I’m sure it happens to other sports too, I just don’t necessarily ask about the other sports.  Plus the Admin wants to be known as an educational institution not a basketball school.  

42 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

This is ridiculous....if this is true then was CAM not made aware of how things are going to be when he was hired...im at a loss...why even have a coach...why not just let Glass over see the basketball operations and let a player be a player/coach...unreal

43 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

This doesn't pass the smell test. It requires one of the hottest names in college coaching, who turned down high major offers including from his alma mater NC St to take the Indiana job, rolling over upon getting it. Archie has options, even if his stock is dropping. He's by far the most visible face of the program and had overwhelming support from the time he arrived in Bloomington. No one could have been able to make him a puppet unless he allowed it.

50 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I've heard/seen this type of comment numerous times and even Fisch has alluded to it.  So what happened in Crean's final year that would make Glass and higher ups force Archie to treat Crean's last recruits with kid gloves?  Do they have the negatives of Glass or McRobbie in a compromising position?    

1 hour ago, Radio Zero said:

“... as long as they are not being abusive.”

What is meant by “being abusive,” then?  And since you seem very certain of yourself, your answer needs to be very precise.  Because in the heat of the moment during a basketball game, frustrated with by yet another multi-minute scoring drought compliments of the tattoo parade on the floor he’s trying to direct, Coach AM MUST be able to quickly and easily determine what constitutes such “abuse.” Is there a decibel threshold?  Please tell us what it is.  Is there an unacceptable level of intensity in a glare?  Please describe it.  And you can’t shrug it off and say everyone will concur that such-and-such constitutes abuse while agreeing this-and-that does not.

I’m not kidding around.  We’re asking a LOT of a guy to whom we’re giving a LOT ($3.5 million).  Fuzzy expectations and imprecise definitions are minor league.  IU is BIG TIME.

It’ll be easy for you, Scott, I’m sure.  Go ahead.

RZ, this is what Don Fischer said, not Scott.

Archived