The H🔥T Seat

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’m sure it happens to other sports too, I just don’t necessarily ask about the other sports.  Plus the Admin wants to be known as an educational institution not a basketball school.  

I hear what you are saying, and I'm not sure what University wants to be known more for athletics than academics. 

IU makes more exceptions with admissions to get student athletes in than lets say Notre Dame, etc.  They built facilities to be part of the arms race.  

It honestly doesnt make sense.  A silly provocative statement from me is...that didn't put one of the largest jumbotrons in AH and Memorial for graduation only purposes.  They installed to better see the product on the floor, etc.

They want to win, and win with dignity.  Tom Allen can go crazy but Archie Miller can't.  You can have expectations and discipline without being Kevin Wilson.  

Sorry, I just don’t buy this at all.  No athletic department in the country operates this way... It doesn’t even make sense how they could operate this way even if they wanted to.  Whenever the heat has really turned up on Archie during these losing streaks the last two years, we always get these kind of “leaks.”  This one doesn’t even come close to passing the smell test.

14 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

RZ, this is what Don Fischer said, not Scott.

Hmmm ...

I read Scott’s post as commentary on what 0708 was reporting Don said on the Dakich show.  If I read it wrongly, I apologize for getting so hot about it.

In fact, I’m deleting the post.  The generally very high level of courtesy and decorum on HSN is what drew me here, and I don’t wish to contribute to a lowering of that simple decency.

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Sorry, I just don’t buy this at all.  No athletic department in the country operates this way... It doesn’t even make sense how they could operate this way even if they wanted to.  Whenever the heat has really turned up on Archie during these losing streaks the last two years, we always get these kind of “leaks.”  This one doesn’t even come close to passing the smell test.

This isn’t a leak really.  This came from Don Fischer basically reiterating what some of us have heard.  Like I said I didn’t believe it until Don mentioned it today on Dakichs show.  You could tell he wasn’t comfortable talking about it too. 

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

This isn’t a leak really.  This came from Don Fischer basically reiterating what some of us have heard.  Like I said I didn’t believe it until Don mentioned it today on Dakichs show.  You could tell he wasn’t comfortable talking about it too. 

What about the other sources you mentioned you’ve been hearing this from?

Some of this is a matter of what one means by having one's hands tied. The IU Athlete Bill of Rights does limit the coaching staff to some extent (the four-year scholarship guarantee in particular) that may not be true at some other schools. APR concerns could as well. But the idea that the AD department is dictating who to play, seems a bit far fetched.

Well it’s clear then that the powers to be want IU to be known as a football school then. It will probably help on the football recruiting trail 🤷‍♂️. Or those same powers to be don’t want a coach to be extremely successful, so there’s never another RMK situation again where the coach becomes bigger or more important than the institution. 

That’s why I said I didn’t believe it until Fisch said it. I was told this last year and again this year when one of our players we all saw that should’nt have been given playing time and yet to this day he is still playing.  I don’t know how much of it’s true but the stuff I was told a while ago is all starting to make sense.  Had Fisch never said anything I wouldn’t have brought it up. Go watch an old Dayton game and watch Archie on the sidelines.  If I can find them I’ll share them.  He didn’t put up with any crap at Dayton, None!

9 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

If, there was an athletic department that DID operate in this capacity, it would be IU.  Am I wrong?

20 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

Scott can be aggressive but so was this.

interesting for you to jump in on this when he called me a wife beater out of nowhere and all i did was try to explain to another poster that Scott is aggressive.  i didn't think i was really out of line, but sorry i guess?

Just now, IUProfessor said:

Again, it may be a matter of interpretation. If Archie is told not to run anyone off due to APR concerns, that might entail keeping certain players reasonably happy (including PT). But that's different than telling him to play X player Y minutes.

APR is in fine shape now, wasn’t when he first got here.  And I don’t think any of us would have had a problem with that. 

5 minutes ago, BDB said:

If, there was an athletic department that DID operate in this capacity, it would be IU.  Am I wrong?

This is just so silly.  This fanbase is so tortured that now it’s twisting itself into knots to justify conspiracy theories that the athletic director, who recently announced his retirement, is dictating lineups and how the coach can act on the sidelines.  Something that has never happened in the history of college basketball.

This really isn’t anything crazy.  The guy is a mid-major coach who hasn’t recruited well and whose schemes aren’t cut out for major college basketball.  It happens all the time.

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

interesting for you to jump in on this when he called me a wife beater out of nowhere and all i did was try to explain to another poster that Scott is aggressive.  i didn't think i was really out of line, but sorry i guess?

I think Colonial was referring to what I wrote (subsequently deleted) as “aggressive.”  Which it was.

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This is just so silly.  This fanbase is so tortured that now it’s twisting itself into knots to justify conspiracy theories that the athletic director, who recently announced his retirement, is dictating lineups and how the coach can act on the sidelines.  Something that has never happened in the history of college basketball.

This really isn’t anything crazy.  The guy is a mid-major coach who hasn’t recruited well and whose schemes aren’t cut out for major college basketball.  It happens all the time.

I hope you’re right.  

1 minute ago, Radio Zero said:

I think Colonial was referring to what I wrote (subsequently deleted) as “aggressive.”  Which it was.

ah, maybe that's what i'm missing.  i don't really care what people think about my posts.  we all agree to disagree.  Rico and Scott seem to jump me pretty quickly, but i take it for what it's worth.  we just usually disagree.  i just don't feel the need to attack them for their opinion.  i've followed IU bball for 40 years and coached for almost 30.  i have my opinions and realize everyone does.  we all just react to it differently.  i have dealt with many crazy parents over the years.  

Archived