The H🔥T Seat

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Well Flint is in charge of our front court which has been good enough the last two years. Seems to me like he’s getting the job done. 

Ostrom is in charge of recruiting which he’s done a decent enough job on I think. 

The last spot occupied by two coaches I would assume has been tasked with our guards. 

I thought Ostrum was the Minnesota connection. Struck out on Hurt and Garcia.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

There are too many who don't have the right skill sets we should want on the Board of Trustees.  And I don't think they have term limits.

I agree with your post, but according to the IU website, there are term limits:

"Three trustees are elected by IU alumni to serve three-year terms. Elections are staggered, with one position filled each year. Indiana’s governor appoints five trustees, who also serve three-year terms, and a student trustee, who serves a two-year term."

Anyway, this isn't an anonymous committee cloaked in secrecy.  Minutes of meetings are available online. 

Here are the names, faces, biographies, and contact info for the entire Board:

https://trustees.iu.edu/the-trustees/current-trustees/index.html

I don’t think EVERYTHING to blame about our program falls on the administration. That’s absurd.

I also do NOT think we are going to reach our potential as a basketball program BECAUSE OF the administration.

So until that is fixed, the rest is a patch job at best. And the Administration won’t change until the fanbase actually does get mad enough and associates the longterm issues not at the feet of a half dozen different coaches as a long series of bad luck hires, but rather at a consistent philosophy and mindset starting at the top.

get pissed and force change

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

I don’t think EVERYTHING to blame about our program falls on the administration. That’s absurd.

I also do NOT think we are going to reach our potential as a basketball program BECAUSE OF the administration.

So until that is fixed, the rest is a patch job at best. And the Administration won’t change until the fanbase actually does get mad enough and associates the longterm issues not at the feet of a half dozen different coaches as a long series of bad luck hires, but rather at a consistent philosophy and mindset starting at the top.

get pissed and force change

The fans definitely need to force it.  Isn’t that basically what happened down in Knoxville with the Tennessee football program?

7 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

The fans definitely need to force it.  Isn’t that basically what happened down in Knoxville with the Tennessee football program?

Yes! It can happen. I lived it albeit I live in Wisconsin but I watched it simmer, brew, boil over and then BANG, it got so dang hot so fast Beverly our President had to can the AD, admit to the fanbase that too many things bad been fouled up for too long, that SHE took responsibility, needed everyone’s patience but that WE WOULD GET BACK TO UT FOOTBALL. But she needed a new AD before they hired a coach.

can you IMAGINE, having a president at IU actually holding a press conference and admitting IU basketball is not where it should be and that that president is publicly admitting THEY are vested personally in getting IU Basketball back? Sorry I can’t see that right now.

But things were SO hot in Knoxville, I was following it on Twitter, message boards and I know people down there and it was like darn near picket and protest for administration removal type stuff. It was FANS TAKE OUR PROGRAM BACK, sort of stuff. It was grass roots, it was local talk radio, it was former players, it was websites, Twitter feeds, etc all coming together and shaking every tree and freaking out and demanding immediate change.

and it WORKED!!!

11 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

UT was considering hiring Greg Schiano (before eventually bringing in current HC Jeremy Pruitt) and word of the plan sparked a massive alumni/fan revolt that killed the hire.

And BADGERVOL told it better than I did!  😜

I’ve been a rabid fan of UT Football and IU basketball for decades now. There are many similarities about rich historic tradition, high expectations, etc. but there’s one difference I see in the fanbases, and I love them BOTH.

UT is football 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th and then the rest of the sports and they’re a bit off their rocker and will lose their #&@! If they’re down too long.

IU is basketball 1st, 2nd, 3rd and is wicked knowledgeable and loves their program every bit as much but tends to just be sad and never switch to hellish pissed off and demand something change.

Thats the difference I see. 

2 minutes ago, Radio Zero said:

UT was considering hiring Greg Schiano (before eventually bringing in current HC Jeremy Pruitt) and word of the plan sparked a massive alumni/fan revolt that killed the hire.

And BADGERVOL told it better than I did!  😜

That attempted hire broke the back. It dumped a gallon of gas on the fire. And I’m gonna tell ya it was a thing of beauty. One of the most intense 36 hours of my life in fandom was that stretch. Epic.

7 hours ago, BGleas said:

Maybe it makes all the sense in the world. If you go back, the wheels have really fallen off in arguably 6 of the last 7 years. That's two different coaching staffs, the previous one even citing that he has issues with the administration, and a host of different players, several of them currently playing in the NBA. 

13-14: Lost 12 of their last 19

14-15: Lost 10 of their last 15

15-16: Outlier, won 7 of last 9

16-17: Lost 10 of their last 14

17-18: Lost 7 of their last 11 (did have a 4-game winning streak in that mix)

18-19: Lost 12 of 13 before winning 6 of their last 8

19-20: In progress, but has lost 4 in a row as well as 7 of their last 11

The only constant is all of that is the AD, President and BOT. 

I'll probably get shredded for saying this but does anybody else consider the bigten may just be biased against IU? 

35 minutes ago, CapnRon said:

I'll probably get shredded for saying this but does anybody else consider the bigten may just be biased against IU? 

Like we are the only team that doesn't have a home court advantage anymore.  Purdue was pickng us up full court hand checking the entire game.  Very subtle but it was pissing me off watching until I was so sick I stopped cheering 

I just honestly, for the life of me, can’t understand a program with so much tradition and pride.... being down for this flipping long. We’ve been to what, 4 Sweet 16’s in 22 years? That’s absurd, and I’m exhausted with the wait and see game. 

I’m sick of us settling for mediocrity. I’m so over the excuses, it’s mind numbing.

“And I’m sick and fn tired of losing to Purdue! I’m not here to f around.”

9 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

I just honestly, for the life of me, can’t understand a program with so much tradition and pride.... being down for this flipping long. We’ve been to what, 4 Sweet 16’s in 22 years? That’s absurd, and I’m exhausted with the wait and see game. 

I’m sick of us settling for mediocrity. I’m so over the excuses, it’s mind numbing.

The times certainly changed. The 1987 championship team was the first IU basketball team that I followed all season. I remember my dad cussing a blue streak when we lost to Vanderbilt early on. The fall of 1986 was really when I started to learn to understand and follow sports in general. Watching games and gaining an understanding of what was going on. I watched every single game of the 1987 title run. Definitely was not old enough to appreciate it, at that age you just expect that is going to happen all the time. 

From there you had the 1989 team then the Cheaney years. I never felt more crushed as an IU basketball fan than when Kansas eliminated us and dealing with the fact Calbert and his teammates were not going to hang a banner. I had zero doubt it was happening (even with the Henderson injury) until the KU game as lost. I went out to the barn after that game and shot baskets with tears in my eyes.

I arrived in Bloomington in the fall of 1994 as an incoming freshmen with a sense of wonder. I got to see our home court winning streak extend to 50 despite Shawn Respert single-handedly almost ruining it after the crowd taunted him with chants of Respert, Respert. I got to see Alan Henderson and Brian Evans play. I got to meet Andrae Patterson before classes started that fall and it as like the coolest thing ever, I called my dad and told him about that. I asked Andrae how it was going and he said his knees were sore, lol. 

I ended up spending 5 years at IU and I had student tickets every year. Saw 50+ games at Assembly Hall. Maybe the teams never lived up the normal RMK standards but I had a hell of a fun time being at the games and witnessed some great moments. I was there for 5 of Bobby's final 6 seasons.

The day I walked through my graduation line in Memorial Stadium I would have never imagined we would be in this spot 20 years into the future. Across all the various coaches and situations.

Actually the last time I saw a game at Assembly Hall was the first exhibition game under Davis. I was working in Indy and someone had free tickets. We beat whatever team it was on a Coverdale 3 pointer that bounced like 3 times on the rim.

I really did believe we were back with the Cody/Oladipo teams. I bought the t-shirts. WE ARE BACK. We were back! Only temporarily, unfortunately.

All of that just to say in the end...no matter who the coach has been, I want them to be successful. I want them to be 'the guy'. Having a never-ending revolving door of coaches is not a good feeling. To be in that situation perpetually says more about the people in charge than anything else. 

Still hoping Archie is the guy. Go IU!

44 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

The sickening part is that I was as tired of Crean as everyone else but in his last 6 years he went to the sweet sixteen three times and won the conference 2 of those the last seasons.  Sadly that six year “run” now almost seems like an unattainable goal. I realize things can turn around (let’s start Thursday night!) but it is a bit of a bummer now.

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 12:50 PM, dbmhoosier said:

We need someone with an electric personality who craves the spotlight.  Someone who likes attention.  That’s why Pearl would be such a great fit.  He craves the attention.  He’s basically Cal on speed.  This is not a job for introverts.

I absolutely agree.  Pearl would be my number 1 choice by far.  He is electric, exciting and gets results.  I also have no faith that the IU administration would ever hire Bruce.

16 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

High School principles can do that and fire coaches without much pushback.  When you make 3.5 mil a year and have a 20mil a year buyout, the AD has very little power to tell you anything as long as you're not breaking and any rules or clauses in your contract.  And if he is letting them, he isn't the right coach to coach anywhere let alone Indiana

That’s what I was getting at.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Excellent point. Anyone here been to any practices? I saw some summer workouts with Romeo and Hunter but not a full practice ran by CAM

I don’t know about practice but I know someone that’s heard him talk about his coaching style/offense/defense at a couple of clinics and they weren’t impressed at all. They said they didn’t feel like he was teaching anything at the clinic. 

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Excellent point. Anyone here been to any practices? I saw some summer workouts with Romeo and Hunter but not a full practice ran by CAM

And that's the thing...frustrated people want to point fingers...I get it...I'm frustrated too...

But without knowing the full context of any situation, it's difficult to assess blame...and it's unfair..

I don't mind a certain amount of speculation, but totally unfounded statements don't help anyone...

12 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I don’t know about practice but I know someone that’s heard him talk about his coaching style/offense/defense at a couple of clinics and they weren’t impressed at all. They said they didn’t feel like he was teaching anything at the clinic. 

Some of his coaching videos are out on YouTube...check them out and make your own assessment... here's one on accelerating your transition offense...

I’m honestly not a patient person about this anymore like I used to be, as a fourth generation IU alum it’s been in my family and life since I can remember but yet at 34 I don’t know if I’ll ever see them return to where we all want them to be or where many others have seen them. I thought the low point was during my student years and the Sampson debacle etc but who knows I did find it interesting looking up some current successful coaches. 

How freaked out would people be if Archie goes, 19-13, 15-16, and 18-17 in his first three years and misses the tourney? 

14 hours ago, Madison22 said:

I agree with your post, but according to the IU website, there are term limits:

"Three trustees are elected by IU alumni to serve three-year terms. Elections are staggered, with one position filled each year. Indiana’s governor appoints five trustees, who also serve three-year terms, and a student trustee, who serves a two-year term."

Anyway, this isn't an anonymous committee cloaked in secrecy.  Minutes of meetings are available online. 

Here are the names, faces, biographies, and contact info for the entire Board:

https://trustees.iu.edu/the-trustees/current-trustees/index.html

Yes, but you can keep getting new terms. Pat Shoulders has been in there since 2002.

https://trustees.iu.edu/the-trustees/current-trustees/shoulders-patrick.html

Archived