The H🔥T Seat

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, HoosierCPA said:

Here's the 4th time I've heard Archie's hands are tied with the way he wants to coach.  This time from a reputable source:

image.png.df0a6955eb7e27a194f794914c29ef45.png

Fisch also said that CAM has no restrictions on benching guys.  CAM also left 2 scholarships open.  Foresight and hindsight said get help in the backcourt.  Those things are on CAM regardless of disciplinarian coaching style.  

26 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

This thread is garbage. 

Could be. But I think of it as a healing process. A lot of us may pretend their lives aren't affected that much by IU basketball, but they are indeed. Just like almost everything in life, this board has its own pros and cons. In general, I believe our mods have been doing great jobs to keep things at bay. 

9 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Fisch also said that CAM has no restrictions on benching guys.  CAM also left 2 scholarships open.  Foresight and hindsight said get help in the backcourt.  Those things are on CAM regardless of disciplinarian coaching style.  

I 100% think that when the X's and O's aren't working out, it's on Archie.  Recruiting wise - that's on him, too. My post(s) have been more along the lines of this - there have been chemistry issues, and CAM has even admitted that.  One poster said he heard from a source very close to the team that two players don't listen, aren't coachable and walk all over CAM.  This seems very fixable to me - CAM doesn't want to bench them because he's screwing himself over (I used the bench as my example because that was the best motivator in that situation).  So, the next time the two troublemakers ignore me or show a hint of attitude, I'd say meet Coach Marshall in the weight room tomorrow at 6 AM.  Coach Marshall would then put them through the gauntlet, and it would continue until they shape up. Pat Knight just said on the Hoosier Hysterics podcast that he and Damon Bailey didn't go to class for two weeks.  RMK found out and made them do the same thing, and he said they never missed another class.  That's getting someone's attention.  Fisch is implying that there are things CAM can't do to get the players' attention.  I'm assuming that's because the Administration won't let him use those tactics.  

Actually, a better tactic would be to let Mike Roberts work with them one-on-one.  Dude is INTENSE LOL

1 hour ago, HoosierCPA said:

Actually, a better tactic would be to let Mike Roberts work with them one-on-one.  Dude is INTENSE LOL

It’s hard to really know since I’m not in the inner sanctum, but he looks like he’s been a great addition to the staff.  It will be interesting to see how he does with recruiting this spring and summer.  Last summer, he was just getting here.  

2 hours ago, HoosierCPA said:

Fisch is implying that there are things CAM can't do to get the players' attention.  I'm assuming that's because the Administration won't let him use those tactics.  

#8 from IU Student-Athlete Bill of Rights:

Indiana University pushes student-athletes to be the best they can be academically and athletically, but does so in an environment of trust and respect. No physical or verbal abuse or demeaning language or treatment is tolerated.

Fred Glass wrote the SA BoR and he interprets its meaning.

Correction: latest version of SA BoR was Fall 2017. Originally announced 2014.

If you’ve followed Fisch in interviews, he is an even keeled guy and generally reticent to discuss anything controversial.  He avoids such things like the plague because of his obvious connections to the university.  He’s usually vanilla and safe.  For him to say this stuff, well it’s obviously a good source.  Since he’s normally so cautious, it’s pretty telling here that he’s speaking with good authority.  

7 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

If you’ve followed Fisch in interviews, he is an even keeled guy and generally reticent to discuss anything controversial.  He avoids such things like the plague because of his obvious connections to the university.  He’s usually vanilla and safe.  For him to say this stuff, well it’s obviously a good source.  Since he’s normally so cautious, it’s pretty telling here that he’s speaking with good authority.  

Exactly.  He’s employed by Learfield IMG College with the approval of IU.  He himself is kind of a part of the IU “establishment.”  If Don’s talking, listen VERY closely.

15 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

#8 from IU Student-Athlete Bill of Rights:

Indiana University pushes student-athletes to be the best they can be academically and athletically, but does so in an environment of trust and respect. No physical or verbal abuse or demeaning language or treatment is tolerated.

Fred Glass wrote the SA BoR and he interprets its meaning.

Correction: latest version of SA BoR was Fall 2017. Originally announced 2014.

Image result for ding ding ding gif

Looks like we have a winner. Thanks for finding that.

So basically any time CAM yells at the players they could threaten him with verbal abuse. If he is demeaning to them in anyway (would benching count?), he's in trouble. 

The wussification of society at its best/worst.

On 2/8/2020 at 8:29 PM, Fiveoutofsix said:

Someone needs to clarify this.  If it is the APR thing, thst is in the past and he doesn't need to give the minutes he does to some of the players.

The rumor is Archie wanted to boot a few and Glass wouldnt allow it. Just a rumor.

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

My question is the Student bill of Rights a Glass thing only or did it come from the university and Glass just implemented it.  If it is just Glass then when he leaves hopefully the new AD will not keep it.

You're free to draw your own conclusions. This is from 2018 article:

A lot of other schools, Glass says, want no part of something like this.

"I think sometimes people who were brought up in intercollegiate athletics are more hesitant to make athletes a full partner than we are. They don't like the four-year scholarship guarantees, the lifetime-degree guarantees, giving a lot of power to the Student Athlete Advisory Committee.

"They don't want to follow it, so it's still a distinguishing feature for us."

Glass has spent his decade-long run as athletic director striving to separate IU from the rest of the Big Ten, and beyond. The challenge -- do so without the huge budgets schools such as Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State enjoy.

The fact that Glass arrived with a background in law and community service, rather than athletic administration, gave him an outside-the-box approach that has accelerated that separation.

"I don't think I set out to be different, but I am inherently different in all the good and bad that entails. I probably made some mistakes that someone with more of a background in intercollegiate athletics wouldn't have made. I also did some things that I was too dumb to realize shouldn't be done or couldn't be done, and did them. That's made a big difference.

"I didn't set out to be a maverick, but I think that's the natural conclusion coming from a background other that intercollegiate athletics."

"Early on I had an agenda I wanted to work on. I didn't know how long I would be here. So we've been ambitious and aggressive in what we're trying to do."

6 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

You're free to draw your own conclusions. This is from the original announcement:

A lot of other schools, Glass says, want no part of something like this.

"I think sometimes people who were brought up in intercollegiate athletics are more hesitant to make athletes a full partner than we are. They don't like the four-year scholarship guarantees, the lifetime-degree guarantees, giving a lot of power to the Student Athlete Advisory Committee.

"They don't want to follow it, so it's still a distinguishing feature for us."

Glass has spent his decade-long run as athletic director striving to separate IU from the rest of the Big Ten, and beyond. The challenge -- do so without the huge budgets schools such as Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State enjoy.

The fact that Glass arrived with a background in law and community service, rather than athletic administration, gave him an outside-the-box approach that has accelerated that separation.

"I don't think I set out to be different, but I am inherently different in all the good and bad that entails. I probably made some mistakes that someone with more of a background in intercollegiate athletics wouldn't have made. I also did some things that I was too dumb to realize shouldn't be done or couldn't be done, and did them. That's made a big difference.

"I didn't set out to be a maverick, but I think that's the natural conclusion coming from a background other that intercollegiate athletics."

"Early on I had an agenda I wanted to work on. I didn't know how long I would be here. So we've been ambitious and aggressive in what we're trying to do."

Well there are a lot of I's so I guess it is his baby

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Well there are a lot of I's so I guess it is his baby

And this from 2018 re: SA BoR. This guy single-handedly engaged in a unilateral surrender in collegiate athletics:

It's been a little over four years since Indiana debuted this first-of-its-kind initiative, and if you thought other universities would rush to duplicate it, think again.

The Glass-inspired bill remains unique in college athletics.

"When we put it out there," Glass says, "I would have thought we'd be one of many by now. In fact, we're not. It's still an unusual thing."

That's exactly the way he wants it. Setting a standard other universities refuse to meet gives Indiana a much-needed edge in the ruthlessly competitive world of college athletics.

"We might not always be the only school, but we will always be the first," he says. "And, for this, we're still pretty only."

Why is that?

"I think it's because a lot of concepts of the Bill of Rights run contrary to intercollegiate athletics," Glass says. "People haven't followed on that."

4 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

And this from 2018 re: SA BoR. This guy single-handedly engaged in a unilateral surrender in collegiate athletics:

It's been a little over four years since Indiana debuted this first-of-its-kind initiative, and if you thought other universities would rush to duplicate it, think again.

The Glass-inspired bill remains unique in college athletics.

"When we put it out there," Glass says, "I would have thought we'd be one of many by now. In fact, we're not. It's still an unusual thing."

That's exactly the way he wants it. Setting a standard other universities refuse to meet gives Indiana a much-needed edge in the ruthlessly competitive world of college athletics.

"We might not always be the only school, but we will always be the first," he says. "And, for this, we're still pretty only."

Why is that?

"I think it's because a lot of concepts of the Bill of Rights run contrary to intercollegiate athletics," Glass says. "People haven't followed on that."

Delusional to think its such a great idea and "gives Indiana a much-needed edge in the ruthlessly competitive world of college athletics" if not a single other school has followed in four years. I can't imagine any player at IU in any sport, chose IU over another school b/c of it.

6 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Delusional to think its such a great idea and "gives Indiana a much-needed edge in the ruthlessly competitive world of college athletics" if not a single other school has followed in four years. I can't imagine any player at IU in any sport, chose IU over another school b/c of it.

Exactly.  Not one.  

But to be clear.  It has been reiterated from Fisch and Rabjohns.  4 year scholarship does not guarantee spot on the team.   Nor would it count against team scholarships.  

5 minutes ago, cybergates said:

It's beyond delusional. It's placing one's ego and arrogance above the best interest of his employer. The President and BoT were complicit by allowing it to happen.

Image result for wave the white flag gif

Archived