The H🔥T Seat

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Exactly.  Not one.  

But to be clear.  It has been reiterated from Fisch and Rabjohns.  4 year scholarship does not guarantee spot on the team.   Nor would it count against team scholarships.  

But it goes beyond scholarships. Treatment of players clause has already been addressed. Then there is this:

9. A Collective Voice through the Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC), with allows student athletes to meet with Glass every semester, also be part of any coaching or athletic director search, have input on decisions affecting the athletic department, and more.

Seriously?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

But it goes beyond scholarships. Treatment of players clause has already been addressed. Then there is this:

9. A Collective Voice through the Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC), with allows student athletes to meet with Glass every semester, also be part of any coaching or athletic director search, have input on decisions affecting the athletic department, and more.

Seriously?

what a complete moron.  

One has to wonder if this bill of crap is tied to coaches contract and therefore could be held liable for this breach of treatment of players.  

If I'm CAM, I get one good tourney run and I get the heck out of here as fast as I can.  

I've heard double speak on this bill of rights thing though.  I've heard it doesn't carry more weight than the paper it's printed on could hold.  

This Bill of Rights thing seems way overblown. What are the enforcement mechanisms in place here? Who defines what qualifies as abuse? I'm all for Archie not abusing his players.  If he can't chew someone out without abusing them, then he has no business in his job. But, I'm relatively certain he can. It seems to me that no one copied it because it is largely a toothless document that changes nothing  - other than the 4 year scholarship thing, but how often does that actually come into play? For a major conference basketball team it won't (even our worst players will catch on somewhere).

I'm willing to believe Archie's hands were tied as far as booting guys, but that seems more like an APR issue that anything: I don't see anything in that BofR that says inferior players have to stay/play. They can't be kicked out of school and left with no academic opportunities, but that never came close to happening even at peak creaning. 

47 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

You're free to draw your own conclusions. This is from 2018 article:

A lot of other schools, Glass says, want no part of something like this.

"I think sometimes people who were brought up in intercollegiate athletics are more hesitant to make athletes a full partner than we are. They don't like the four-year scholarship guarantees, the lifetime-degree guarantees, giving a lot of power to the Student Athlete Advisory Committee.

"They don't want to follow it, so it's still a distinguishing feature for us."

Glass has spent his decade-long run as athletic director striving to separate IU from the rest of the Big Ten, and beyond. The challenge -- do so without the huge budgets schools such as Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State enjoy.

The fact that Glass arrived with a background in law and community service, rather than athletic administration, gave him an outside-the-box approach that has accelerated that separation.

"I don't think I set out to be different, but I am inherently different in all the good and bad that entails. I probably made some mistakes that someone with more of a background in intercollegiate athletics wouldn't have made. I also did some things that I was too dumb to realize shouldn't be done or couldn't be done, and did them. That's made a big difference.

"I didn't set out to be a maverick, but I think that's the natural conclusion coming from a background other that intercollegiate athletics."

"Early on I had an agenda I wanted to work on. I didn't know how long I would be here. So we've been ambitious and aggressive in what we're trying to do."

Source?  Reads like agitprop.

On 2/8/2020 at 8:21 PM, Danomatic said:

I know the last time I posted about a coaching change on the old site, we had record views, posts etc... however, I’m beginning to feel eerily similar to the final days of Crean. 

First, let me start by saying that I realistically expect IU to give Archie four full seasons, potentially five if he can improve drastically. But definitely a complete year next season. 

I really think that Archie is in above his head at this point and can’t imagine him righting the ship. He seems to allow the players to free reign of the program. I’d much rather him have let Smith and Green walk their selfish selves away from Bloomington and not be as good, instead of watching this awful product every week. 

We have absolutely zero leadership, or passion. I think Rob and TJD have the potential to do so, but seem very hesitant to take control. 

I know we can’t see it yet, but I feel like our recruiting is going to hit a wall because of our poor play. 

It’s probably way too early to talk about potential hires, because Archie is still in year three. But mark my words, if we’re still staring down the same barrel at this point next season... we’ll be talking potential new hires amongst other things that come with change. 

I’m just speculating here, but I’m almost certain that the new AD will have the mind that he can make the “Right Hire” to bring Indiana Basketball back to it's rightful throne. A new AD almost assuredly means that a new coach will be coming, especially if the current coach is putting this type of product on the court. 

I’ll save the wish list for this time next year. 

Twenty years and no sustainable results! Sad situation!! 

7 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

Winning is certainly the expectation. I understand losing on the road this season in league play, I do. But yes, winning will cure all ills. 

Yup, winning cures everything. The bottom line is that if IU had won the Maryland and Arkansas home games and would at least compete on the road and not get blown out consistently, then this thread, even with the Purdue loss, most likely would not exist. 

21 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yup, winning cures everything. The bottom line is that if IU had won the Maryland and Arkansas home games and would at least compete on the road and not get blown out consistently, then this thread, even with the Purdue loss, most likely would not exist. 

Correct. I don’t know how the rest of the season will go, but if they can maintain the home court advantage and steal one or two more on the road... then they will obviously make the tourney. I’m not afraid to admit when I’m wrong, but that Iowa team was missing some pieces, so I’m going to reserve my opinion until the conclusion of this season. I will say that they did what they were supposed to do. 

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

This is exactly right. If this team had played well for even ten more minutes this year, the results of three games could be different. If they had held on against Maryland (2 minutes) and finished off a game that they led the whole way against Arkansas (five minutes) and finished the first half against Purdue where they led with three and a half to go (three minutes) this thread would possibly be about extending Archie. 

The margin for this team is razor thin...to me that means patience could well be worth it. One of the major things that Jay Wright learned when transitioning to High Major basketball was that he wanted to recruit only certain personalities, not just the most talented. I think we could see signs of Archie learning that too. Archie coached way harder last night that he had the three previous games.

I think that one of the things that will happen in the coming years is that we will see Archie become more himself and coach harder and the team will more consistently mirror his toughness.

Edit: This is not to say that I haven't been frustrated this year...poor execution, poor screening, poor effort level, poor body language...all of those things are tough to swallow from a team that has everything to fight for and all the resources they could want...

My wife, who played soccer, always comments about our team just standing around offense.  

After she pointed it out, I started watching the shot clock.  The average time our first off ball player moved was 13 second's into the shot clock for 3 or 4 possessions in a row.  

We don't need Bob Knight motion offense or baseless movement for the sake of movement Tom Crean, just make the defense work a little harder to guard you.  Purdue would have beat us with 4 defenders.  That was probably the worst example.   

Thats my arm chair coaching tip.  Move hard with a purpose, tight off screens.  GO and set good hard screens.  

On 2/13/2020 at 5:00 PM, NotIThatLives said:

what a complete moron.  

One has to wonder if this bill of crap is tied to coaches contract and therefore could be held liable for this breach of treatment of players.  

If I'm CAM, I get one good tourney run and I get the heck out of here as fast as I can.  

I've heard double speak on this bill of rights thing though.  I've heard it doesn't carry more weight than the paper it's printed on could hold.  

The dumbass that came up with this ridiculous horse shit  is retiring!! Hopefully new AD has common sense!!!!!

11 minutes ago, Beowulf50 said:

Dude!!! Why are you attacking me??! You are the one acting like a teenager!!!!

Just did not like how you had to go with the name calling with glass and you don't need to use the language on this board.  Why not just critique a guys job but don't have to make it personal.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just did not like how you had to go with the name calling with glass and you don't need to use the language on this board.  Why not just critique a guys job but don't have to make it personal.

Are you a professor at IU?? I can’t imagine being a adult male and being offended by ANYTHING on a message board!!

Archived