The H🔥T Seat

Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

There is something to be said for finishing stong and being an entertaining team.  It's not supposed to be that way but we all know the NCAA is about money abs matchups make money.  Ever wonder we always get put in Kentucky's bracket.

If we are close we're going to get left out.  We need to make a statement these last few games.  That includes the BTT

The worst thing we can do is lay an egg in the BTT.  Imagine losing an opening round game to Nebraska.  Or. losing for a 3rd time to Purdue.  Or, getting curb-stomped by Minnesota.  

Honestly, I think the most important game of the year is at Illinois,  We're not going to win at Purdue,  Minnesota coming off a loss is going to be hard.  I'm nervous about the BTT.  Winning at Illinois not only gives us a road win over another bubble team, but gives us a buffer should we drop one at home.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The worst thing we can do is lay an egg in the BTT.  Imagine losing an opening round game to Nebraska.  Or. losing for a 3rd time to Purdue.  Or, getting curb-stomped by Minnesota.  

Honestly, I think the most important game of the year is at Illinois,  We're not going to win at Purdue,  Minnesota coming off a loss is going to be hard.  I'm nervous about the BTT.  Winning at Illinois not only gives us a road win over another bubble team, but gives us a buffer should we drop one at home.

I say it’s Penn State.  I don’t see this team miraculously figuring out how to win a game on the road against any of these three teams, who all play much tougher than IU.  Have to beat Penn State to put ourselves in position to get to 19 wins.

22 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

To me the easiest road game is at Minnesota because Pitino is on the other sideline.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me the easiest road game is at Minnesota because Pitino is on the other sideline.

I never like our odds at Minny because of that stupid thing they call a "basketball court". I've watched some of our worst performances ever at The Barn. 

Guys, there is zero chance we win a road game this year.  It's not like we're playing tough and just getting beat in the final minute;  we aren't even competitive on the road.  The team doesn't even look like they believe they can win on the road.  They just show up, put the uniform on, and go through the motions.

And that's why I can't bring myself to watch road games anymore.  It's not because they lose the game, it's because they don't even look like they want to be there.

2 minutes ago, GrangerHoosier said:

Guys, there is zero chance we win a road game this year.  It's not like we're playing tough and just getting beat in the final minute;  we aren't even competitive on the road.  The team doesn't even look like they believe they can win on the road.  They just show up, put the uniform on, and go through the motions.

And that's why I can't bring myself to watch road games anymore.  It's not because they lose the game, it's because they don't even look like they want to be there.

Cool. Don't support IU.  Quit watching. And for your information. We have won on the road this year. Granted not much. But the ENTIRE B1G is struggling on the road this year.

It was said we have a cancer on this team. Well maybe there is, but it’s not the reason for a poor offense and defensive scheme. That’s on the coaching staff. You don’t have to win every road game, however the lack of competitiveness is unacceptable. We will not make the tournament unless something changes. I’d say it’s too late!

I’ll say this, as I’ve preached patience, I’m starting to get impatient. I’m still just dumbfounded that Archie hasn’t been able to get this team, or really any team since he’s been here, to play hard and play with his personality. This is not what I thought we were getting. 

Unless he miraculously gets this team to turn it around these last 3 weeks or so, I expect some big changes to both his roster and his staff. If IU limps down the stretch it will be very difficult to get excited about next season without some major changes. 

Just being completely honest, I’m not there yet, but I’m getting closer to where I was towards the end of Crean’s last season, where I was wanting the bottom to fall out so there would be a change. 

Again, I’m not there yet, I hope Archie somehow gets these guys to buy in down the stretch and I’ll be rooting like crazy for a win vs. Minny, but I’d be lying if I said the thought isn’t beginning to creep in. I hope we win games, but I have little faith going into them, especially road games, and that’s sad  

It’s just disappointing because I really like Archie. I think he could be a great fit at IU. I’m rooting for him. But right now it’s just not working. Something is missing. 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I’ll say this, as I’ve preached patience, I’m starting to get impatient. I’m still just dumbfounded that Archie hasn’t been able to get this team, or really any team since he’s been here, to play hard and play with his personality. This is not what I thought we were getting. 

Unless he miraculously gets this team to turn it around these last 3 weeks or so, I expect some big changes to both his roster and his staff. If IU limps down the stretch it will be very difficult to get excited about next season without some major changes. 

Just being completely honest, I’m not there yet, but I’m getting closer to where I was towards the end of Crean’s last season, where I was wanting the bottom to fall out so there would be a change. 

Again, I’m not there yet, I hope Archie somehow gets these guys to buy in down the stretch and I’ll be rooting like crazy for a win vs. Minny, but I’d be lying if I said the thought isn’t beginning to creep in. I hope we win games, but I have little faith going into them, especially road games, and that’s sad  

It’s just disappointing because I really like Archie. I think he could be a great fit at IU. I’m rooting for him. But right now it’s just not working. Something is missing. 

I asked the question a couple of weeks ago, and  no one really seemed to know.  I wonder how many players on our team have championships in their prior basketball life.  In other words, do they know how to win.  I'm really hopeful that a kid like Trey Galloway, who has been on a Championship team, can come in next year and show guys what it takes t win.  He's not necessarily the most skilled player, but he's one tough kid.  I think he's got a little bit of Dane Fife in him, and that will be good for th team.

16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I asked the question a couple of weeks ago, and  no one really seemed to know.  I wonder how many players on our team have championships in their prior basketball life.  In other words, do they know how to win.  I'm really hopeful that a kid like Trey Galloway, who has been on a Championship team, can come in next year and show guys what it takes t win.  He's not necessarily the most skilled player, but he's one tough kid.  I think he's got a little bit of Dane Fife in him, and that will be good for th team.

De'Ron Davis won two consecutive state championships in Colorado at Overland High School.

Overland repeats as 5A state basketball champion, beating Eaglecrest – The Denver Post

28 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I really don't know what Flint brings because he is supposed to be a defensive coach but our defense is terrible.  Archie needs to go the route that Beilin went when he brought a defensive coach in but Archie needs to bring in a offensive coordinator.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I really don't know what Flint brings because he is supposed to be a defensive coach but our defense is terrible.  Archie needs to go the route that Beilin went when he brought a defensive coach in but Archie needs to bring in a offensive coordinator.

Flint is in charge of the front court. Which continues to our best asset. 

Im impressed people are acting like 19-12 is likely. 

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I’ll be extremely disappointed if we limp through the rest of this season, even if we’re squeaking into the tournament, but there are not big changes to both Archie’s staff and roster. I like our incoming freshmen, but we need some competitors and we need some shooters and slashers that can score, along with another point guard. 

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

During the Big 10 preseason media day Archie was asked if the three point line changes his defensive philosophy and he said no, and they will do the same as always.  I'm not sure if Archie wants to grow and adapt.  

If Haston was correct in his recent interview, even Knight was going to dabble with a zone with the size they would of have.

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

This is precisely why I started this thread. If we could go back to the old sites over the last 12 years or so, I’m pretty sure you’d find that both of us have preached patience for two different coaching staffs. 

I also would love for Archie to succeed, because we both know that constant change in coaches isn’t an ideal way to resurrect the program. However, the last three seasons have been, without a doubt three of the most uninspired basketball teams that I’ve watched. That’s relatively mild in what I really want to say. 

Something has to give, because there’s no way that we should be this bad for this long. As I previously stated in the original post, this feels eerily similar to the end of the Crean tenure. Nobody seems engaged. 

I had the privilege of playing for and coaching with two hall of fame coaches in high school. One of them use to preach about the “3 E’s.” He always said that anytime you take the court or field, you should bring them with you and regardless how good or bad your opponent is... you’ll have success. The current group of Hoosiers lack EFFORT, ENERGY and ENTHUSIASM. Those aren’t things that require talent(although we have enough), skill, or pedigree. 

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

i feel like it would be shocking if we won @ Illinois.  i agree we won't win at Purdouche or MN.  home vs. Penn St.?  hard to imagine.  it hurts seeing us 11th in the Big 10.  something about being 11th out of 10 (yes, i know there are more than 10 teams, but it's in the name.)

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

i think it says a lot for you to say this.  i'm about the same.  i want so bad for us to at least start getting in the tourney again.  if we don't make it this year or next...

I am pulling for Archie to figure this out and be here for the long haul, but I'm not seeing this team being set up for success for next season.  I hope the team can win 3-4 more games and get to the tournament, as I think that would be the reasonable expectation for continued improvement from last season to this season.  Next year, with the recruiting class coming in and the returning players, I'm just not seeing the team taking the next step forward, though.  As it stands now, our biggest issues aren't being addressed and I see us as a likely bubble team in year 4.  How much better will our shooting be?  We lose Green and only 1 of our incoming recruits is shooting above 30% from the high school 3 pt line at this point in the season.  We are lacking any real playmakers and have 1 point guard on the roster as it stands.  Our incoming guys do play with toughness from what I have seen, especially Galloway, but are any of them ready to compete in the Big Ten from day 1?  Archie has to get a point guard or combo guard from the grad transfer pool or Juco ranks, who can come in and contribute right away.  Preferably someone who can shoot, make a post entry pass, and keep their guy in front of them.  If we miss the tournament this year and he isn't able to address point guard depth and shooting with a commit early in the offseason, it is probably time to move on.

I also question Archie's recruiting strategy.  Is he trying to go after the best talent from the state, or if he is trying to find the best talent that fits his system? I have no problem with the strategy of locking the state down, but Archie has to be flexible and adapt to the roster he has, highlighting their strengths.  If he is 100% committed to his system, which seems to be the case, then he needs to make sure he is finding the right guys in state or out that will fit what he wants to do.  

32 minutes ago, EvilleHoosier said:

I am pulling for Archie to figure this out and be here for the long haul, but I'm not seeing this team being set up for success for next season.  I hope the team can win 3-4 more games and get to the tournament, as I think that would be the reasonable expectation for continued improvement from last season to this season.  Next year, with the recruiting class coming in and the returning players, I'm just not seeing the team taking the next step forward, though.  As it stands now, our biggest issues aren't being addressed and I see us as a likely bubble team in year 4.  How much better will our shooting be?  We lose Green and only 1 of our incoming recruits is shooting above 30% from the high school 3 pt line at this point in the season.  We are lacking any real playmakers and have 1 point guard on the roster as it stands.  Our incoming guys do play with toughness from what I have seen, especially Galloway, but are any of them ready to compete in the Big Ten from day 1?  Archie has to get a point guard or combo guard from the grad transfer pool or Juco ranks, who can come in and contribute right away.  Preferably someone who can shoot, make a post entry pass, and keep their guy in front of them.  If we miss the tournament this year and he isn't able to address point guard depth and shooting with a commit early in the offseason, it is probably time to move on.

I also question Archie's recruiting strategy.  Is he trying to go after the best talent from the state, or if he is trying to find the best talent that fits his system? I have no problem with the strategy of locking the state down, but Archie has to be flexible and adapt to the roster he has, highlighting their strengths.  If he is 100% committed to his system, which seems to be the case, then he needs to make sure he is finding the right guys in state or out that will fit what he wants to do.  

No...I do NOT see what he is building in the least. My biggest gripe with Crean was roster management. And now that’s a complete issue with Archie.

Archived