The H🔥T Seat

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see the big deal with the thread. The level of heat is yet to be determined but it is warm at least and nothing wrong with that.  I have been taught that heat refines and reshapes things. We need that!! Heat gets your attention.  Some perform better under hot situations.  As a kid my butt got warmed up a couple times and got my attention and made me a little better at least for that moment.  Takes a lot of heat to produce many of.the things we enjoy and even love and if a little heat  on the seat gets Indiana basketball where we want it so be it. 

I hate reviving this topic, but this is where this story belongs.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/indiana-should-give-archie-miller-time-not-make-a-beeline-for-his-successor/9q6f8nd5y96r13ynqi09kifvf?fbclid=IwAR2TU4PKcyVKKbmKctn4X93UbqeRmFHN23AtHBqjspjKRJIbHEdGuluy_hA

Good piece, although the story ends rather oddly abruptly.  I guess he thought he'd made his point. 

Y'all probably know what I think at this point, but I'll say it once more...it is D-U-M-B, DUMB to talk about replacing Miller at this stage in the cycle.  I think he gets at LEAST two more years to prove his case with 100% of his recruits on the floor.  Currently, only the freshmen and sophomores are really his kids.  I have no animus toward Justin Smith & Al Durham, but let's be real...they were recruited for a different style of basketball and Archie arrived late enough in the cycle that all he had time to do was keep Crean's class, even if they were less than perfect for his game.  IU has gone from 16-15, to 19-16 and quite possibly better again this season while playing in a much-improved Big Ten this year.  If he gets year over year improvement during the first three seasons (all with winning records), he's done what John Beilein, Mike Krzyzewski, Jay Wright and Tony Bennett couldn't do at their current (or last, in the case of Beilein) coaching gigs.  That makes talk of firing him nor, or even after the season sound stupid.

Anyway, the often frustrated, but almost always patient sunshine pumper is signing off...time to go home and enjoy the weekend (and hopefully, a nice Penn State win!)

5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I hate reviving this topic, but this is where this story belongs.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/indiana-should-give-archie-miller-time-not-make-a-beeline-for-his-successor/9q6f8nd5y96r13ynqi09kifvf?fbclid=IwAR2TU4PKcyVKKbmKctn4X93UbqeRmFHN23AtHBqjspjKRJIbHEdGuluy_hA

Good piece, although the story ends rather oddly abruptly.  I guess he thought he'd made his point. 

Y'all probably know what I think at this point, but I'll say it once more...it is D-U-M-B, DUMB to talk about replacing Miller at this stage in the cycle.  I think he gets at LEAST two more years to prove his case with 100% of his recruits on the floor.  Currently, only the freshmen and sophomores are really his kids.  I have no animus toward Justin Smith & Al Durham, but let's be real...they were recruited for a different style of basketball and Archie arrived late enough in the cycle that all he had time to do was keep Crean's class, even if they were less than perfect for his game.  IU has gone from 16-15, to 19-16 and quite possibly better again this season while playing in a much-improved Big Ten this year.  If he gets year over year improvement during the first three seasons (all with winning records), he's done what John Beilein, Mike Krzyzewski, Jay Wright and Tony Bennett couldn't do at their current (or last, in the case of Beilein) coaching gigs.  That makes talk of firing him nor, or even after the season sound stupid.

Anyway, the often frustrated, but almost always patient sunshine pumper is signing off...time to go home and enjoy the weekend (and hopefully, a nice Penn State win!)

It doesn't matter what other schools have done or how other coaches panned out.  It matters if the trajectory, leadership, and growth of the team overall (coaching and players) looks to be head in the direction that leads to a proven winner and winning the future.

I can't honestly say if he is getting better or not.  I don't look at the record.  I look at how we play, both on the road and at home.  I look to see if players shoot better, defend better or lead better.  I look to see if players give it all on the floor and walk off the court exhausted.

Is that what we have currently?  I don't know?  Maybe what we see is all these players have.  Maybe they are better this year than last.  Maybe our record is better than last year because we're better and not the non conference scheduling being padded.

I don't see it.  And i don't compare what Jay Wright has done, or Coach K or any other coach who has or has not made it when they took a new job.  I look at what i see on the floor game after game, year after year, and i ask myself, is this team/player better this year than last?  

Just my opinion.  And i am not even saying he should be fired this year. But i won't be upset if they do.  And i won't be surprised if next year we're the exact same team we have seen for the last 3 years.   And all this doesn't mean he can't coach.  Or that if he went to another school he wouldn't be successful.  Sometimes things just don't work no matter how hard you want them too. 

We can all convince ourselves that this team is not only tourney-bound, but actually capable of doing damage, like winning a game or two because of:

• Race really emerging,
  • Hunter having his legs under him,
  • Phinisee having played enough lately to have considerable experience under his belt,
  • Green stabilizing (if not being electric at times)
  • TJD having played so much its like he's not a freshman anymore,
  • etc   

But, for whatever reason, the staff heretofore has not been able to elicit any kind of consistency.  If we can get that these last few games, there's no telling what this team can do.  Heaven knows this team should have learned alot of lessons.

12 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

It doesn't matter what other schools have done or how other coaches panned out.  It matters if the trajectory, leadership, and growth of the team overall (coaching and players) looks to be head in the direction that leads to a proven winner and winning the future.

I can't honestly say if he is getting better or not.  I don't look at the record.  I look at how we play, both on the road and at home.  I look to see if players shoot better, defend better or lead better.  I look to see if players give it all on the floor and walk off the court exhausted.

Is that what we have currently?  I don't know?  Maybe what we see is all these players have.  Maybe they are better this year than last.  Maybe our record is better than last year because we're better and not the non conference scheduling being padded.

I don't see it.  And i don't compare what Jay Wright has done, or Coach K or any other coach who has or has not made it when they took a new job.  I look at what i see on the floor game after game, year after year, and i ask myself, is this team/player better this year than last?  

Just my opinion.  And i am not even saying he should be fired this year. But i won't be upset if they do.  And i won't be surprised if next year we're the exact same team we have seen for the last 3 years.   And all this doesn't mean he can't coach.  Or that if he went to another school he wouldn't be successful.  Sometimes things just don't work no matter how hard you want them too. 

You're saying exactly the same kinds of things that frustrated Michigan, Duke, Villanova and Virginia fans said before their teams found success.

You may not be upset, but barring a Steve Alford UCLA-style meltdown, I would be utterly disgusted if IU's administration were stupid and short-sighted enough to fire Archie Miller after this season.  That's the kind of move you make if you want to have a perpetual coaching carousel at your school.

22 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

You're saying exactly the same kinds of things that frustrated Michigan, Duke, Villanova and Virginia fans said before their teams found success.

You may not be upset, but barring a Steve Alford UCLA-style meltdown, I would be utterly disgusted if IU's administration were stupid and short-sighted enough to fire Archie Miller after this season.  That's the kind of move you make if you want to have a perpetual coaching carousel at your school.

No, you get a perpetual coaching carousel when you keep hiring the wrong guys and letting them fail for 4-5 years instead of just 2-3. 

16 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

No, you get a perpetual coaching carousel when you keep hiring the wrong guys and letting them fail for 4-5 years instead of just 2-3. 

As respectfully as I can...I'm going to 100% disagree.  Way too many examples of coaches who are very successful that took more than 2-3 years.  I gave you four HOF-caliber examples above. 

You change coaches every 2-3 years, you will very quickly run out of candidates even willing to talk to you.

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

As respectfully as I can...I'm going to 100% disagree.  Way too many examples of coaches who are very successful that took more than 2-3 years.  I gave you four HOF-caliber examples above. 

You change coaches every 2-3 years, you will very quickly run out of candidates even willing to talk to you.

I guess it depends what those 2-3 years show.  Do you keep getting better and winning more each year?  Is recruiting getting better each year?  If so I agree 100%.  If not you're an idiot if you don't make a change.

5 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I guess it depends what those 2-3 years show.  Do you keep getting better and winning more each year?  Is recruiting getting better each year?  If so I agree 100%.  If not you're an idiot if you don't make a change.

You would have fired all four coaches in my example.

Smoooooooth.

36 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

You change coaches every couple of years you become the Cleveland Browns

The first 3 years has been very frustrating to watch.  When we hired miller I was okay with it.  I still think he has it in him, but man I shake my head a lot.  If I were AD it comes down to The 21 class, and miller still has that opportunity.  I believe we make the dance and even win a game.  That will be huge for 21. In my opinion a change should be made only if the AD has a know brainer in the pocket.  If 21 recruiting is a fail, time to move on. 

7 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Since when did we start changing coaches every couple of years? Davis got 6, Crean got 9. Sampson's dismissal had nothing to do with results. If anything, we're far too lenient here. 

Yep. It feels like a carousel but actually we've been extremely patient. Not an exact analogy but similar in terms of tradition and importance of sport to their fans. Alabama football made 4 head football coach hires in the 10 years between Stallings and Saban. 

11 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Since when did we start changing coaches every couple of years? Davis got 6, Crean got 9. Sampson's dismissal had nothing to do with results. If anything, we're far too lenient here. 

I see Miller as having greater potential than either Davis or Crean. Not sure if he'll be better than Sampson, but his history is a lot cleaner and he's recruiting better kids to IU than Sampson was. Why such a short leash for him?

Archived