The H🔥T Seat

6 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

It’s crazy. With 16 games played, two games separate 2-9. 

Absolutely and the reason this is the toughest conference. According to Sagarin through games yesterday, the Big 10 has 8 out of the top 25 rated teams. No other conference has more than 3.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AshtonHershey said:

I'm excited about having a potentially-great player and class coming in, but we can't ignore the results so far. Once wins become more consistent, the thread will fade away. 

Just as long as no one makes me mad.  i might bump it for the hell of it.  :coffee:

The “fire Archie right now” posts were a bit much but I don’t think the thread, for the most part, has been “out of bounds”.  It looked like we might be heading towards a third year in a row without making the tourney, effort/desire has been missing in many games the past few years including the home game vs PU, we have had multiple poor plays out of timeouts, certain starters have had horrible first halves only to start the second half, big men like Brunk were repeatedly hedging 30 feet from the basket, TJD was not getting touches, turnovers were an issue, we did not land a shooter we needed with the two open scholarships, etc etc.  It’s not as though most of the complaints/concerns were crazy or just “made up”. 

In the past week we played really well in two games, the hedging from 30 feet has stopped, Race is coming on and getting minutes, Green has seemingly been brought under control, we are getting TJD the ball, turnovers have been reduced, we landed Lander and it looks like we are going to the tourney (many of the “hot seat” posts said the seat was hot if we did not make the tourney this year). Great to see, hope this is a trend and that Archie is very successful. 

I was wavering towards CAM might not pan out a couple of games ago. But he seems to have made the right adjustments when the TEAM needed it most. I have been hoping for some grit on the road and think I have seen what  I have hoped for ! I am sorry for doubting!!! Future looks bright!

6 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Amen.

I'm thinking about all of the heat I got for starting the Luke Brown thread...😂😂😂  WTH, @Danomatic?!!😜

I’m gonna take a little credit for the recent turnabouts with this thread! 😂

Honestly though, had we lost three of the previous four and Lander committed to Michigan... this thread would have even the rosiest colored glasses, tinted black. 

12 hours ago, IU878176 said:

The “fire Archie right now” posts were a bit much but I don’t think the thread, for the most part, has been “out of bounds”.  It looked like we might be heading towards a third year in a row without making the tourney, effort/desire has been missing in many games the past few years including the home game vs PU, we have had multiple poor plays out of timeouts, certain starters have had horrible first halves only to start the second half, big men like Brunk were repeatedly hedging 30 feet from the basket, TJD was not getting touches, turnovers were an issue, we did not land a shooter we needed with the two open scholarships, etc etc.  It’s not as though most of the complaints/concerns were crazy or just “made up”. 

In the past week we played really well in two games, the hedging from 30 feet has stopped, Race is coming on and getting minutes, Green has seemingly been brought under control, we are getting TJD the ball, turnovers have been reduced, we landed Lander and it looks like we are going to the tourney (many of the “hot seat” posts said the seat was hot if we did not make the tourney this year). Great to see, hope this is a trend and that Archie is very successful. 

I'm a big Archie Defender and I'm glad you admit the "Fire Archie right now" talk was over the top but despite what most posts might claim about them saying it was only hot if we didn't make the tourney, the talk is just going to continually happen whenever we go on a losing streak. Would like to think it would disappear with one tourney appearance out of Archie's first three years, but I really doubt it. Look at last year, we had that disastrous stretch of winning 1 of 12. We followed it by losing a close OT game @ #21 Iowa and closing out the regular season with 4 straight wins, including #19 Wisco and #6 MSU. Round One of the Big Ten Tourney essentially became an NCAA Play-In Game with OSU (also a bubble team). Some might argue we had to win one more to get in, but based on the bracket matrix of last year we were essentially first four out with the loss. A tourney appearance last year would have done nothing but change the Fire Archie argument from "still no NCAA appearance" to "missing the NCAA again after only barely getting in last year." Plus, if you want to say it's reasonable because there was nothing positive to say about our play with 6 games remaining, you could argue the same thing last year but we still ended up closing out with 4 (almost 5) straight regular season wins (and 4 wins of the last 6 gets us in this year).

Regardless of the next four games I don't think he'll *actually* be on the hot seat until Big Ten play next season (4 years is fair for a 7 year contract and we haven't had a horrific season yet), but I think trying to rationalize the talk just isn't worth it because it is bound to happen. Crean era is a perfect example with every year after that S16 loss to Syracuse the buyout talks would come up. They even came up in November of 2015 after a 5-3 start and blowout loss to Duke. IU went on to win the regular season conference title outright and we took down a higher seeded UK in the second round of the tourney. The open scholarship thing too, we just got done with criticizing creaning/over-signing and filling scholarships with a guy like Priller who never really produces (I apologize to Vanilla Prilla for the ricochet shot). This year we could use shooting, but Archie missed on a few and held on to the scholarship for a stronger class instead of giving them to 2 star recruits or a transfer for a couple years (now we get 3 instead of just one or two 2020 guys and it looks like the open spot was huge for landing Lander). I love IU and love the fanbase, think we just got to accept that we're starving to win again and that causes us to jump on the Fire Whoever train quickly.

18 hours ago, AshtonHershey said:

I'm excited about having a potentially-great player and class coming in, but we can't ignore the results so far. Once wins become more consistent, the thread will fade away. 

We are literally better than we were last year... "wins" we have more than last year. 

We are projecting up. 

27 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We are literally better than we were last year... "wins" we have more than last year. 

We are projecting up. 

Exactly. Each year we have improved under Archie and next year looks like yet another year where we will be improved from the prior year.  The program is healthy and we have been and continue to trend in the right direction. 

This thread wasn’t ridiculous at all when it was started.  The fact of the matter is that mind boggling 1-12 stretch last season, punctuated by flopping in what was essentially a play-in game in the BTT, has hovered over everything this season.  That’s really not unreasonable, and I would argue any fanbase would have the same reaction.

And this thread was started immediately after IU lost its fourth straight game, in a blowout to its biggest conference rival, at home, on the day when its beloved former coach returned for the first time in two decades.  IU looked like it was headed straight toward the wrong side of the bubble for the second year in a row, with all of the same issues plaguing the team, and no immediate difference makers in the pipeline for 2020.  Everyone here acknowledged that the university wasn’t likely to move on this year, and I know a lot of people here like to say now that it was only a “vocal minority” that wanted Archie gone.  But basically every IU fan I talked to after the Purdue loss would have been fine moving on at that point — things looked that bad.

Since then, we’ve won 3/4 games, with two home wins over ranked teams and a solid road win.  The team has looked much improved and looks to be on its way to being solidly in the tournament.  Then you cap that off with landing the #1 PG recruit in the nation, and things look totally different now than they did 3 weeks ago.  All Archie needs to do is win on the court and in recruiting, and he’ll have all the support he needs from the fanbase.

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This thread wasn’t ridiculous at all when it was started.  The fact of the matter is that mind boggling 1-12 stretch last season, punctuated by flopping in what was essentially a play-in game in the BTT, has hovered over everything this season.  That’s really not unreasonable, and I would argue any fanbase would have the same reaction.

And this thread was started immediately after IU lost its fourth straight game, in a blowout to its biggest conference rival, at home, on the day when its beloved former coach returned for the first time in two decades.  IU looked like it was headed straight toward the wrong side of the bubble for the second year in a row, with all of the same issues plaguing the team, and no immediate difference makers in the pipeline for 2020.  Everyone here acknowledged that the university wasn’t likely to move on this year, and I know a lot of people here like to say now that it was only a “vocal minority” that wanted Archie gone.  But basically every IU fan I talked to after the Purdue loss would have been fine moving on at that point — things looked that bad.

Since then, we’ve won 3/4 games, with two home wins over ranked teams and a solid road win.  The team has looked much improved and looks to be on its way to being solidly in the tournament.  Then you cap that off with landing the #1 PG recruit in the nation, and things look totally different now than they did 3 weeks ago.  All Archie needs to do is win on the court and in recruiting, and he’ll have all the support he needs from the fanbase.

I just think it is better for fans to judge after the whole season is finished instead of just reacting after every game win or lose.  When we don't we see fans overacting after every game which is not really good for the program.

31 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just think it is better for fans to judge after the whole season is finished instead of just reacting after every game win or lose.  When we don't we see fans overacting after every game which is not really good for the program.

Again, that wasn’t a reaction to one game, it was a reaction to four straight losses featuring all of the same issues we had last season, and to a lack of momentum in recruiting.  If he continues to land big recruits and avoid those kind of losing streaks, he will continue be afforded more leeway.  If we end up winning 20 games and making the tournament this year, I know that at least for me personally, I will be much more hesitant to jump ship if we hit a rough patch next season.  That’s what recruiting well and winning does for a coach.

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Again, that wasn’t a reaction to one game, it was a reaction to four straight losses featuring all of the same issues we had last season, and to a lack of momentum in recruiting.  If he continues to land big recruits and avoid those kind of losing streaks, he will continue be afforded more leeway.  If we end up winning 20 games and making the tournament this year, I know that at least for me personally, I will be much more hesitant to jump ship if we hit a rough patch next season.  That’s what recruiting well and winning does for a coach.

The thing is with how up and down this team has been all year something like beating Iowa or Penn State at home shouldn't have been THAT ridiculous (especially with our home wins). Like we constantly show up to whoever we played at home (Purdue and maybe Arkansas are the only outliers, and if you want to look at Purdue's recent games that 50% from three is very very rare). That stretch of losing 4 straight included losing to all top 20 KenPom teams, that was probably the most difficult stretch of our schedule all year. The rankings on KenPom for those teams we lost to in the stretch as of the morning of the Iowa game were Maryland 10, Penn State 11, Ohio State 12, and Purdue 19. In a year where the Big Ten has constantly had a 3ish game difference between the 3 seed and 11 seed with constant examples of top teams in the conference losing to lower ones and then you throw in the fact that every bracketologist all year has been talking about how the bubble would be weak there was absolutely no reason to give up on the tourney/Archie with 8 (after Purdue) or 6 (after Michigan) games left in the season. Even if we finished an 11-14 seed in the BTT tourney with 18 or 19 wins, winning that play in game would help our resume. If we could have had SUCH a disastrous stretch the previous year and win 4 of the last 6 with the 2 losses being the Haarms tip in and a 6 point OT loss to Iowa and two wins being over ranked opponents, there is no reason to have given up on this year so early.

To the comments about the no recruits in the pipeline thing, I've been reading the forum since January even though I've created by account recently but there was constantly talk about how Lander was rumored to reclassify and we've top 3 on him for awhile. You say there were no difference makers in the pipeline but one of the constant complaints is guard play and we are bringing in a scrappy guard in Trey and guard that can create his own shot as well as hit a three at a pretty good rate in Leal

35 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I agree but over reacting is not only on the so called negative side but the so called positive side as well. And I would argue that one fuels the other to the point it’s like a yo yo here! I am waiting to see what we do the rest of the year! Getting Lander is great but remember how people over reacted with Romeo and that was a pendulum that swung both ways his year here! Hoping for the best this year and what will need to be a better year next year!

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Again judge once the season is over instead of after a few games because like we have seen all year that teams will go through tough stretches.

3 minutes ago, Cutter said:

I agree but over reacting is not only on the so called negative side but the so called positive side as well. And I would argue that one fuels the other to the point it’s like a yo yo here! I am waiting to see what we do the rest of the year! Getting Lander is great but remember how people over reacted with Romeo and that was a pendulum that swung both ways his year here! Hoping for the best this year and what will need to be a better year next year!

That is why I said overact after a win or a loss

42 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Again judge once the season is over instead of after a few games because like we have seen all year that teams will go through tough stretches.

Essentially a much more concise way and much better way of saying the main point of my argument haha. Apologize for any kind of ranting and the novel I've been typing in the thread here today but seeing how quick the Fire Whoever motion can start at times has always bugged me so I used this as a time to kinda go off. Enjoy the back and forth as well @FW_Hoosier, when I was lurking here I was kinda looking forward to some debates with you because I remember going through your posts and not agreeing 100% of the time but liking how you provided good backup in your arguments

Archived