The H🔥T Seat

I'd beg to differ...this thread was almost as ridiculous then as it is now.  Archie was going to get 4-5 years regardless of what the fanbase thought.  It's almost like some of you think Archie upped his coaching game because he read a "hot seat" thread. 😂😂😂

Sure, he could have screwed McRobbie's daughter and got fired but even a 5-6-7 game losing streak wasn't going to make the administration look for another coach three years in.  Crean got nine years...let that sink in.  This admin does not like doing coaching searches every few years.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'd beg to differ...this thread was almost as ridiculous then as it is now.  Archie was going to get 4-5 years regardless of what the fanbase thought.  It's almost like some of you think Archie upped his coaching game because he read a "hot seat" thread. 😂😂😂

Sure, he could have screwed McRobbie's daughter and got fired but even a 5-6-7 game losing streak wasn't going to make the administration look for another coach three years in.  Crean got nine years...let that sink in.  This admin does not like doing coaching searches every few years.

The thread was absurd from the start. 

20 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The thread was absurd from the start. 

.....on another worthless note....Isn't it awesome when you THINK you finished your bag of peanut M&M's and start to crumple it up and there is one chocolaty, peanut filled, candy coated one left? Just happened....The End 🙃

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I just think it is better for fans to judge after the whole season is finished instead of just reacting after every game win or lose.  When we don't we see fans overacting after every game which is not really good for the program.

Should we just withhold all comments until the end of the season so we can evaluate the whole year? Perhaps all posts should be limited to a single week in March.

26 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Should we just withhold all comments until the end of the season so we can evaluate the whole year? Perhaps all posts should be limited to a single week in March.

Did I say you shouldn't critique the play but stating the season is over or that Archie needed to be fired is what some have a problem with.

57 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

99% of the people posting in this thread acknowledged that the admin wasn’t going to fire him after this season.  But you’re being willfully obtuse if you can’t acknowledge that his seat was absolutely heating up in the eyes of a large portion of the fanbase after that four-game losing streak.  Even a lot of the more measured/optimistic posters here were starting to have serious doubts at that point.

15 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

99% of the people posting in this thread acknowledged that the admin wasn’t going to fire him after this season.  But you’re being willfully obtuse if you can’t acknowledge that his seat was absolutely heating up in the eyes of a large portion of the fanbase after that four-game losing streak.  Even a lot of the more measured/optimistic posters here were starting to have serious doubts at that point.

Nah...not even close.  It's one thing to be disappointed/annoyed about losing, but probably 85-90% of the fanbase is casual enough in their fandom that they don't even post in online forums.

The remaining 10-15% are passionate but not at all unified on the idea that his seat was hot.  That leaves maybe 5-10% of the fanbase that actually felt like his seat was warm or hot.  It's a small but vocal minority.

Trust me...I was as pissed as I've been in a long time about the Purdue game, but I don't think I even visited this forum for like a week after that loss.  I knew the pitchforks would be out among that 5-10% of the fanbase and I had no interest in participating.  You can bet a lot of other folks stayed away.  We can speculate about the size of Hoosier nation, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't in the seven figures.  That leaves a lot of fans not posting online about Archie being on the hot seat.

48 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Nah...not even close.  It's one thing to be disappointed/annoyed about losing, but probably 85-90% of the fanbase is casual enough in their fandom that they don't even post in online forums.

The remaining 10-15% are passionate but not at all unified on the idea that his seat was hot.  That leaves maybe 5-10% of the fanbase that actually felt like his seat was warm or hot.  It's a small but vocal minority.

Trust me...I was as pissed as I've been in a long time about the Purdue game, but I don't think I even visited this forum for like a week after that loss.  I knew the pitchforks would be out among that 5-10% of the fanbase and I had no interest in participating.  You can bet a lot of other folks stayed away.  We can speculate about the size of Hoosier nation, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't in the seven figures.  That leaves a lot of fans not posting online about Archie being on the hot seat.

I'm a little confused by your post. Are you saying that the 85-90% of the fanbase that doesn't post on forums automatically didn't think Archie's seat was hot? If so, I'd have to point you to Facebook, where after every loss the casuals want a new coach. If anything, I'd say this forum is a little more level headed because the fans here see more than just the most recent score.

As for Crean getting 9 years, he took over a program in shambles, and won 2 B1G titles in that time, and also had a FF appearance in his history, something that CAM doesn't have, at least not yet. Not really a good comparison.

3 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I'm a little confused by your post. Are you saying that the 85-90% of the fanbase that doesn't post on forums automatically didn't think Archie's seat was hot? If so, I'd have to point you to Facebook, where after every loss the casuals want a new coach. If anything, I'd say this forum is a little more level headed because the fans here see more than just the most recent score.

As for Crean getting 9 years, he took over a program in shambles, and won 2 B1G titles in that time, and also had a FF appearance in his history, something that CAM doesn't have, at least not yet. Not really a good comparison.

So Cam got to the elite 8 so that one more win got Crean 6 more years than what people were wanting for Archie

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Well Crean did not get those until his 5th year and Archie did not inherit a great team either.

Dude, at one point, Crean had us as a #1 seed and the #1 team in the nation. Of course he got 9 years with that kind of success, especially when he was showing improvement in his first few years. Are you seriously trying to compare the program and the talent when Archie took over vs. when Crean did? Seriously? 

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

What AxnJxn said.  No point in continuing to harp on this now that the ship appears to be righting itself, but just about every IU fan I talked to after that loss, none of whom post on message boards, was talking about how much time Archie had left at IU if he didn’t get things turned around.  Then you had everyone on Facebook and Twitter, which were absolutely on fire.  You’re really just pulling these numbers out of thin air based on how you felt about it personally.

20 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Hoosier Nation is a lot bigger than the crazies who post on Facebook and Twitter too.  Most fans don't post anything about IU on any social media.  Look at it this way...if Hoosier Nation is more than a million strong (and I think it is)  Even 20,000 idiots calling for the coach's head on some form of social media would be a very small percentage of the fanbase.

...and I'm sorry...you haven't given Miller a third of what Crean had.  That's my point.  He had an E8 at a mid-major and thus far, he's trending up each year.  That's more than a lot of coaches who have been mentioned here ad nauseum have done in their first three years at a new school.

...and you can say what you want about what Crean was given, but at least he was immediately able to recruit his guys rather than having to use upper classmen who were recruited for an entirely different system.

Sorry...this thread is still silly.

12 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Dude, at one point, Crean had us as a #1 seed and the #1 team in the nation. Of course he got 9 years with that kind of success, especially when he was showing improvement in his first few years. Are you seriously trying to compare the program and the talent when Archie took over vs. when Crean did? Seriously? 

I know the history of IU basketball but point out that Archie needs to have a chance to prove what he is capable of.  People were calling for his head 2. years in so why is it wrong to let him have his 4 or 5 years before making a final judgment.

9 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

What AxnJxn said.  No point in continuing to harp on this now that the ship appears to be righting itself, but just about every IU fan I talked to after that loss, none of whom post on message boards, was talking about how much time Archie had left at IU if he didn’t get things turned around.  Then you had everyone on Facebook and Twitter, which were absolutely on fire.  You’re really just pulling these numbers out of thin air based on how you felt about it personally.

See above.  You're doing exactly what you are accusing me of on the other side.  This fanbase is a lot bigger than you think it is and the vast majority don't care nearly as much as you and I do.

Just now, AxnJxn said:

I really don't know if some of you guys are being purposely obtuse about this. This is just a small sampling from the IU basketball Facebook group after the Michigan game, and it goes on and on and on ...

Archie.jpg

Archie2.jpg

Archie3.jpg

The vocal minority.  Not sure why you think this is an accurate representation of over a million fans.  It's just not.  It's an over-reaction of a small percentage of very passionate (and very wrong) fans.

A big part of my amusement/annoyance here is watching fans overreact to every win and loss.  Now we have people who actually think IU is going 4-0 to finish the season and winning multiple games in the BTT and NCAA tournament.  That's just as silly as thinking Miller was ever on a hot seat.

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

The vocal minority.  Not sure why you think this is an accurate representation of over a million fans.  It's just not.  It's an over-reaction of a small percentage of very passionate (and very wrong) fans.

A big part of my amusement/annoyance here is watching fans overreact to every win and loss.  Now we have people who actually think IU is going 4-0 to finish the season and winning multiple games in the BTT and NCAA tournament.  That's just as silly as thinking Miller was ever on a hot seat.

And I'm not sure why you think your opinion, and only your opinion, is an accurate representation of over a million fans. At least I've shown you some proof that there are people outside of this board that thought CAM might not have been right for the job. Unless I'm completely misunderstanding what you are saying here, you're just assuming that anyone that isn't vocal about the team or posting on social media or boards was ok with the coaching situation, and had no issues at all with CAM. That's a really big stretch.

1 minute ago, AxnJxn said:

And I'm not sure why you think your opinion, and only your opinion, is an accurate representation of over a million fans. At least I've shown you some proof that there are people outside of this board that thought CAM might not have been right for the job. Unless I'm completely misunderstanding what you are saying here, you're just assuming that anyone that isn't vocal about the team or posting on social media or boards was ok with the coaching situation, and had no issues at all with CAM. That's a really big stretch.

I think there's plenty of empirical evidence that the ones hollering the loudest tend to be the most upset.  I never said that no one else was upset but I'd bet a lot of money that the most vocal people tend to include a much higher percentage of people upset about IU basketball.  That's just the way the world works.  You ever read through a review page?  Upset people are much more likely to take the time to write a review than satisfied customers.  Without question, satisfied customers write reviews as well, but at a much lower percentage and they generally have to be VERY satisfied to go to the trouble to write a review.  Anyone who conducts voluntary surveys for a living will attest to this bias. 

That's all you're really seeing here.

6 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

All I am saying is that I think it is silly to be calling for any coaches head even before his 3rd year is up. I said the same thing  when Crean was here and stood behind him a lot longer than most fans did.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

I think there's plenty of empirical evidence that the ones hollering the loudest tend to be the most upset.  I never said that no one else was upset but I'd bet a lot of money that the most vocal people tend to include a much higher percentage of people upset about IU basketball.  That's just the way the world works.  You ever read through a review page?  Upset people are much more likely to take the time to write a review than satisfied customers.  Without question, satisfied customers write reviews as well, but at a much lower percentage and they generally have to be VERY satisfied to go to the trouble to write a review.  Anyone who conducts voluntary surveys for a living will attest to this bias. 

That's all you're really seeing here.

Fair enough, and although I might not agree with this opinion, I think we've beat this dead horse enough, especially with the positive developments in the past few weeks. 

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

All I am saying is that I think it is silly to be calling for any coaches head even before his 3rd year is up. I said the same thing  when Crean was here and stood behind him a lot longer than most fans did.

And, again, I'm amazed that you think Crean and Archie's first three years are even remotely comparable. Crean was throwing any warm body he could find on the court in the beginning and, IIRC, was facing some APR challenges as well, which factored into recruiting. It's simply not a good comparison at all.

9 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

And, again, I'm amazed that you think Crean and Archie's first three years are even remotely comparable. Crean was throwing any warm body he could find on the court in the beginning and, IIRC, was facing some APR challenges as well, which factored into recruiting. It's simply not a good comparison at all.

Archie >>>>>> x 100 Crean.  

Archived