The H🔥T Seat

2 minutes ago, PhinithreeMagic said:

I won't speak for every one else that doesn't like this thread, but for me it comes down to the perception of the fan base and program. Perception is reality in the college basketball landscape and 41 page threads about a 3rd year coach being on the hot seat are going to be used to craft a narrative against Archie on the recruiting trail. 

I get that point but we just landed Lander and every blue blood and “faded blue blood” fan base complains when things don’t go well. There are UNC fans saying Roy should retire and they have 3 or 4 burger boys coming next year, there are pages and pages complaining about Cal at U.K, UCLA fans have been bitching for a decade,  etc etc. I don’t particularly like it but it’s how things are these days.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, PhinithreeMagic said:

I won't speak for every one else that doesn't like this thread, but for me it comes down to the perception of the fan base and program. Perception is reality in the college basketball landscape and 41 page threads about a 3rd year coach being on the hot seat are going to be used to craft a narrative against Archie on the recruiting trail. 

Agreed!  And in reality Archie is not on the hot seat, never was.  Lander's commitment made that even more evident.  If we really are the best IU board , we shouldnt be giving opposing coaches and fans  fuel to use against our staff.   

3 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Agreed!  And in reality Archie is not on the hot seat, never was.  Lander's commitment made that even more evident.  If we really are the best IU board , we shouldnt be giving opposing coaches and fans  fuel to use against our staff.   

Amen!!!!!!!!!

I asked that this thread be closed early on, but the mods thought otherwise....

21 minutes ago, PhinithreeMagic said:

IMO- this thread is the least of Archie’s concerns.  I can think of several more concerning issues to use against Archie on the recruiting trail. 

55 minutes ago, Indiana8585 said:

Then what do we judge on? The cupcake schedule to start the year? For all the it looks bad to have this thread posts, how does it look when we keep having poor results and underperform? 

I hate the Cupcake non conference schedule as much as anybody but it was SMART by this staff to get W’s early and often.  Yes we take a hit in NET but when it comes down to all the marbles, 20 WINS is what gets you IN year in year out!  JUST make the Dance!  Some day we will be like MSU and able to schedule the Dukes, Carolinas and KenSUCKYS but right now it’s about getting to 20!!!  Like it or NOT

I’m ready to give Archie an entire year pass just to get Green off this team. If his seat is hot it goes to warm in my mind the second that kid walks off campus.

In over 30 years of following IU hoops closely he’s near the top of the list as far as players I can’t wait to see gone.

yes I realize he’s a senior...

10 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

I hate the Cupcake non conference schedule as much as anybody but it was SMART by this staff to get W’s early and often.  Yes we take a hit in NET but when it comes down to all the marbles, 20 WINS is what gets you IN year in year out!  JUST make the Dance!  Some day we will be like MSU and able to schedule the Dukes, Carolinas and KenSUCKYS but right now it’s about getting to 20!!!  Like it or NOT

I’m not upset about that I was just using it as an example of how to judge if we’re really improving or not. Look I’ve not once called or said Archie should be gone, I feel the opposite about making a change but at this point it’s becoming beyond frustrating to see the same issues. I’m going to be thrilled if we make the dance and it’s sad to even say that because not long ago we made the dance basically every year. If we miss this year it will be the first four year stretch of missing in a long long time. 
  I don’t know how others feel but as a student I got to see Davis, Sampson, Dak, and Crean while I was there and we still made the tourney except Creans first year. When my parents were students they saw the 76’ team and part of 81’, while my late grandparents even saw 53’. So growing up I saw the end of the Knight era but even then we made the tourney every season. I guess I just never imagined that the title game loss to Maryland in 02’ would be the only time we’ve seriously challenged in the past 25 years or the farthest we’d make it. I still remember the excitement in high school during that run and thinking IU was going to be great for years. 
  Maybe this thread isn’t appropriate but at least for me it’s a place where I can see how other IU fans besides family and friends are feeling and find out if I’m alone in being this frustrated in year 3 of Archie. I thought he was going to come in and be a great fit but so far it’s just been inconsistent and I don’t think it’s unfair to question if we really have improved, and if not do we expect that to change? I think some people are taking many posts in here as fire Archie but most have just ask are we really improving and showing any signs of cutting down on the same mistakes. 

1 hour ago, PhinithreeMagic said:

If a recruit goes somewhere else because of a thread on a message board, then so be it. Kids who are that sensitive and easily influenced aren't winning road games in the Big Ten. 

2 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

If a recruit goes somewhere else because of a thread on a message board, then so be it. Kids who are that sensitive and easily influenced aren't winning road games in the Big Ten. 

That's an overly simplistic interpretation of my point. No recruit is going to read this thread and make a decision to not go to IU. Where it potentially hurts the program is when one thread turns into multiple conversations across the fan base (Rivals, Peegs, Scout, Facebook), then makes it to a national audience (Indystar, ESPN, etc), which then turns into a conversation with rival coaches who use it as a topic of job security for recruits trying to make decisions that will impact the next 4 years of their basketball career. These things have downstream effects and it's not some wild conspiracy theory either. The perception of poor job security has been a self-fulfilling prophecy for a lot of coaches over the years. 

29 minutes ago, Indiana8585 said:

I’m not upset about that I was just using it as an example of how to judge if we’re really improving or not. Look I’ve not once called or said Archie should be gone, I feel the opposite about making a change but at this point it’s becoming beyond frustrating to see the same issues. I’m going to be thrilled if we make the dance and it’s sad to even say that because not long ago we made the dance basically every year. If we miss this year it will be the first four year stretch of missing in a long long time. 
  I don’t know how others feel but as a student I got to see Davis, Sampson, Dak, and Crean while I was there and we still made the tourney except Creans first year. When my parents were students they saw the 76’ team and part of 81’, while my late grandparents even saw 53’. So growing up I saw the end of the Knight era but even then we made the tourney every season. I guess I just never imagined that the title game loss to Maryland in 02’ would be the only time we’ve seriously challenged in the past 25 years or the farthest we’d make it. I still remember the excitement in high school during that run and thinking IU was going to be great for years. 
  Maybe this thread isn’t appropriate but at least for me it’s a place where I can see how other IU fans besides family and friends are feeling and find out if I’m alone in being this frustrated in year 3 of Archie. I thought he was going to come in and be a great fit but so far it’s just been inconsistent and I don’t think it’s unfair to question if we really have improved, and if not do we expect that to change? I think some people are taking many posts in here as fire Archie but most have just ask are we really improving and showing any signs of cutting down on the same mistakes. 

Anybody that watched the Knight Era, including myself has been very frustrated since 02.  I’ve blown many head gaskets since and had the same thoughts about CAM.  I continue to believe not to pass judgment until he gets his players and they buy into his system before that decision is made.  Lets rid the last regimes players and create a locker room that is towards one goal and that is to WIN a championship.  He has proven to recruit the State and now it’s up to the State to prove they are part of the Elite Players in the Country.  We’re seeing that one 5 star talent in today’s game is not enough but multiple 4-5 star talents just may.  Stay Tuned

1 hour ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

Bruiser was heated walking off the court at halftime... screaming at Ostrom about something the whole way into the locker room. Then him and Archie got into it on the bench. I wonder what’s being said. 

I was wondering the same thing. Can anyone tell us what that was all about and is it indicative of a bigger issue within the staff? 

8 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

One more infuriating road loss in a season full of them isn’t a reason to start this thread back up. I’m not coming back here until we lose to Wisconsin at home to finish 19-12.

Haven't we lost 6 of our last 9 and soon to be 7 of 10? I don't see why anyone is celebrating a great season.  We probably have to beat Wisconsin just to make the dance.  And if not Archie will sitting on by far the hottest seat in the country. 

11 hours ago, Indiana8585 said:

Then what do we judge on? The cupcake schedule to start the year? For all the it looks bad to have this thread posts, how does it look when we keep having poor results and underperform? 

That non-conference schedule was #78 last I looked. Lots of other power 6 teams with worse non-con schedules than IU.

11 hours ago, Indiana8585 said:

From what I have read and the stats don't say our OOC schedule was that weak

Archived