10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's kind of why I keep bringing up that 4 year stretch for Painter and Purdue. He's certainly been hitting on something here in recent years....but he's not some coaching savant. To answer your question...he would have been adios after missing tourney 2 straight years after being on the job for 9 years. Crean was let go for less. 

Yeah, I can see that.  

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm just dumbfounded at where IU is at as a program right now. I do believe a lot of this lies on the administration. At some point when you've had 5 different head coaches (counting Knight's last sev

Kelvin Sampson? Are you friggin kidding me? Did any of you watch the halftime activities yesterday? Did you see Sage Steele, overcome by emotion, crying? And why? Because she was overjoyed a

Just curious. How is he being hamstrung? Does Fred tell him “I don’t care if it is a blowout you must keep Green in rather than play walk-ons for a few minutes”. Or maybe Fred said “I k

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's kind of why I keep bringing up that 4 year stretch for Painter and Purdue. He's certainly been hitting on something here in recent years....but he's not some coaching savant. To answer your question...he would have been adios after missing tourney 2 straight years after being on the job for 9 years. Crean was let go for less. 

Difference with the painter situation vs what we are going through with archie is that painter had at least built a very solid team and won before those 4 years. 

Archie has not yet produced anything.

Crean was up and down. I honestly think if a few players didnt get hurt creans final year he is still our coach. We fired the guy 1 year after winning the big with a team that was missing some huge pieces due to injury.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Riverrat said:

Difference with the painter situation vs what we are going through with archie is that painter had at least built a very solid team and won before those 4 years. 

Archie has not yet produced anything.

Crean was up and down. I honestly think if a few players didnt get hurt creans final year he is still our coach. We fired the guy 1 year after winning the big with a team that was missing some huge pieces due to injury.

No disrespect. There isn't an IU fan alive that would say everything is fine and dandy after a coach being on the job for 7 years. Miss the tourney entirely 2 years in a row and first round exits the next two. There is no difference or reason. At IU Painter would have been gone after year 9. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

No disrespect. There isn't an IU fan alive that would say everything is fine and dandy after a coach being on the job for 7 years. Miss the tourney entirely 2 years in a row and first round exits the next two. There is no difference or reason. At IU Painter would have been gone after year 9. 

I do not disagree with you but the two situations are totally different.

If Matt Painter was our coach I believe he would have been fired. That 4 year stretch was bad and in todays world most programs would have cut ties with their coach. 

If IU misses the tourney this year can you honestly tell me we are in a better place than we were under Crean? Can you tell me what our offense is other than hope we get to the free throw line a lot? That is not something you can count on in the tournament or on the road. Our record may end up better this year than the past two but our non conference schedule was set up to get us wins like it did. We played a lot of bad teams at home and won like we should have. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Riverrat said:

I do not disagree with you but the two situations are totally different.

If Matt Painter was our coach I believe he would have been fired. That 4 year stretch was bad and in todays world most programs would have cut ties with their coach. 

That's where it really helps a coach to be coaching at his alma mater, especially if the AD who hired you is also an alum. It's just harder to replace a member of the family. it actually got worse after this article. Had a losing season the following year and finished last in the B1G.

Purdue is currently 12-11 on the 2012-13 basketball season. This season has not gone Purdue's way in a number of ways. There have been embarrassing losses either by opponent (Eastern Michigan, Northwestern) or by margin (Indiana). The team has a noticeable lack of effort on the defensive end, cannot shoot for long stretches of games, and trips to the free throw line are an exercise in torture. To make matters worse, we have to hear about the miraculous recovery and return to prominence (from their own self-created demise) of our bitter rivals.

As good as it was at this time three years ago right now, it kinda sucks to be a Purdue basketball fan at the moment.

https://www.hammerandrails.com/2013/2/7/3964514/fire-matt-painter-dont-be-absurd

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Because our fan base will eat them alive otherwise.  This the ultimate pressure cooker job.  You must have the personality to deal with the fans and the media.  You can’t get disgruntled and roll your eyes when asked about load management for example.

As far as the media goes, that old fella that was out on the court at halftime on Saturday didn't suffer them very well...

Never saw him roll his eyes, but he'd drop an F bomb on them like nobody's business...

25 minutes ago, CapnRon said:

My 2 cents.

1.  I think it is officially time to panic.

2.  I'm not sure who would want to coach this fanbase, which is largely composed of people who have been calling for Archie's head since the first game he coached at IU.

I didn’t see anybody calling for his firing from day one. A few people expected it and I give those people credit for being able to see what was to come. 

21 hours ago, Danomatic said:

I know the last time I posted about a coaching change on the old site, we had record views, posts etc... however, I’m beginning to feel eerily similar to the final days of Crean. 

First, let me start by saying that I realistically expect IU to give Archie four full seasons, potentially five if he can improve drastically. But definitely a complete year next season. 

I really think that Archie is in above his head at this point and can’t imagine him righting the ship. He seems to allow the players to free reign of the program. I’d much rather him have let Smith and Green walk their selfish selves away from Bloomington and not be as good, instead of watching this awful product every week. 

We have absolutely zero leadership, or passion. I think Rob and TJD have the potential to do so, but seem very hesitant to take control. 

I know we can’t see it yet, but I feel like our recruiting is going to hit a wall because of our poor play. 

It’s probably way too early to talk about potential hires, because Archie is still in year three. But mark my words, if we’re still staring down the same barrel at this point next season... we’ll be talking potential new hires amongst other things that come with change. 

I’m just speculating here, but I’m almost certain that the new AD will have the mind that he can make the “Right Hire” to bring Indiana Basketball back to it's rightful throne. A new AD almost assuredly means that a new coach will be coming, especially if the current coach is putting this type of product on the court. 

I’ll save the wish list for this time next year. 

Recruiting has hit a wall already.

• Like 1

I said this when people were calling for Crean's head and I will say it again be careful what you wish for.  If you think if we make a change this year or next and think we will bring in an homerun hire then you are setting yourselves  up for  a huge disappointment.  I see people say look at some power 5 conference coaches who has had success but who is that and why would they come here.  A couple of years ago I might have thought Mike White at Florida might be a goo candidate but the last two years have not been good.  Would you look at Senton Hall's coach or how about Colorado's coach because those would be the ones that you would look at.

If we made a change the first one you would look at would be Stevens but in my opinion there is no way he would leave Boston.  Then you look at Donovan which again I don't see it.  I guess then it would be Beard, Matta and Belein.

I just have to say this: I'm not happy with CAM's showing thus far. I'm also not calling for his head...yet. But people on this board, who I consider to be relatively level-headed and rational (for the most part) talking about Brad, Donovan, Belien, etc. are out of their damned minds. 

There is no way in hell that either Brad or Billy is leaving the NBA to come to IU no matter how much $ you throw at them. Bruce Pearl isn't coming here either. It's just facts. Who, then, do you (realistically) reach out to if you truly want Arch gone after this year or next? I can't believe how delusional our fan base has become. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, BEKA said:

I just have to say this: I'm not happy with CAM's showing thus far. I'm also not calling for his head...yet. But people on this board, who I consider to be relatively level-headed and rational (for the most part) talking about Brad, Donovan, Belien, etc. are out of their damned minds. 

There is no way in hell that either Brad or Billy is leaving the NBA to come to IU no matter how much $ you throw at them. Bruce Pearl isn't coming here either. It's just facts. Who, then, do you (realistically) reach out to if you truly want Arch gone after this year or next? I can't believe how delusional our fan base has become. 

Perhaps you're the delusional one if you want to keep Archie, and his ineptness for another season or two, just saying.

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, HoosierSadaseci said:

Perhaps you're the delusional one if you want to keep Archie, and his ineptness for another season or two, just saying.

You're kind of missing the point. I don't think Archie has lived up to his contractual obligations at all, but where do you go from there? Honest answers only. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, BEKA said:

Mostly agree on the NBA guys as long as they still have jobs.  But Pearl?  He would come to IU in a second if offered the job.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, BEKA said:

Source? Also, is that who we really want running the program. Honest question. 

Common sense.  IU would be able to offer him much more money and a higher profile, which would be huge for a spotlight hog like him.  What’s your source that he wouldn’t?

And if he could win in the Big Ten and the tournament, he would absolutely be the guy we want running the program.  I’m not 100% sure he’d be a home run hire, but at this point I would take him over Archie.

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, HoosierSadaseci said:

If they want to make a change I will back it but you are naïve if you think we will bring in anyone who is a major upgrade.