GAME DAY ! IU vs Iowa Pre-game thread

milehiiu

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

This was the game of this two game home stand I was concerned about losing. Nothing has changed that opinion. I see Iowa have three point shooting practice and a lot more frustration.  I hope I’m wrong. Win this and we can still salvage something this year. 

I figured this one to be a loss and we'd win the other 4.    The PU loss sucks but if we could get this one then it's almost a wash and we'll be back in the hunt for a bid.   We've got to close out on their shooters!!!  

Here's to hoping the curse was lifted Saturday.

Go Hoosiers!!!

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Iowa lost a road game just a few days ago, to Purdue 104-68

They also just ran Nebraska out of their home gym.  At one point it was a 40 point lead with like 12 minutes to go.  They are and can be very dangerous.  If we don't close out on the 3, Frederick and Weiskamp will score 30 each.

And don't forget the Player of the year candidate Garza who is a handful on the block and can and will step out and drain a 3 in your face at like 40%

We better be ready to play this time

29 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

They also just ran Nebraska out of their home gym.  At one point it was a 40 point lead with like 12 minutes to go.  They are and can be very dangerous.  If we don't close out on the 3, Frederick and Weiskamp will score 30 each.

And don't forget the Player of the year candidate Garza who is a handful on the block and can and will step out and drain a 3 in your face at like 40%

We better be ready to play this time

Hey. Stay on topic !  We're supposed to be talking about how teams are struggling on the road in the B1G this season.

JUST KIDDING.  JUST KIDDING

Seriously though, and along those lines.  Nebraska had beaten Iowa at home prior to getting blown out in Iowa.  Nebraska is 0-8 on the road this season. While as IUFLA pointed out above, Iowa is just 1-4 in the B1G.

Nebraska is 7-16.

I watched the game you referenced.  And am concerned about all three of the players you mentioned. 

I realize many IU fans are down on this team at present. But, it has been a crazy B1G season so far.  And Indiana has a much better record than the Nebraska team that got blown out in Iowa.

We don’t win this one then you can kiss the tournament good bye. Team is fragile. Confidence seems to have disappeared. I blame a ton on the upperclassman you need good juniors and seniors to steady the ship. Hope sooner than later the light turns on for those guys. Program as a whole needs this one BADLY.. please find a way to win!

7 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

We don’t win this one then you can kiss the tournament good bye. Team is fragile. Confidence seems to have disappeared. I blame a ton on the upperclassman you need good juniors and seniors to steady the ship. Hope sooner than later the light turns on for those guys. Program as a whole needs this one BADLY.. please find a way to win!

I couldn’t agree more. The problem isn’t just our senior class which is awful,but the junior class isn’t strong either. 
I see Brunk coming back I think Durham will stay. I see Justin Smith transferring he’s a smart kid and I think he will graduate and play somewhere else next year. 
Which means Archie has extra scholarships to fill glaring needs for next year. 

1 hour ago, Bob said:

I haven’t seen Iowa play much, I just remember them shooting lights out from outside last year to beat us. 

They can be streaky.  Like losing by 40 to Purdue and double digits at Nebraska.  But don't let that fool you.  They have a legitimate POY candidate in Garza.  And if we let them get comfortable shooting the 3, they will run us out of our own building.  If we play good defense and hit out shots and keep it close, we can force Iowa to fold.  Garza, Weiskamp and Frederick are the only 3 really dangerous players.  The rest are role players at best who support and do everything they can to get the 3 going.  Brunk and TJD are really going to have their hands full with Garza.  He isn't overly athletic but has a true nose for the rim and plays very strong through contact.  He shoots well at the line and as i mentioned earlier, he will shoot the 3, and its not just when they are up or the game is out of hand. If they are down 2 and he is open, he has the green light to shoot and he will pull the trigger

It does not seem like we match up with Iowa wel at all. My game plan:

1. Come out of the gate aggressively and make them work for every shot to keep their confidence from developing. We let too many teams get comfortable at Assembly Hall. It needs to stop tonight!!!

2. Garza is my biggest worry. Offensively we need to just go at him with our bigs and try to get him in foul trouble. Limit his minutes however we can!

Breaking news.  Pemsl has just been hit with a suspension for the Indiana game.

Pemsl is not averaging a lot of points. But he plays 22 mpg.  And reading the Iowa boards, does a ton of things that don't show up on the scoreboard.  Including protecting the baseline.

13 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Breaking news.  Pemsl has just been hit with a suspension for the Indiana game.

Pemsl is not averaging a lot of points. But he plays 22 mpg.  And reading the Iowa boards, does a ton of things that don't show up on the scoreboard.  Including protecting the baseline.

No disrespect but I would rather beat a team at full strength rather than beat them having players unavailable!

Just now, Cutter said:

No disrespect but I would rather beat a team at full strength rather than beat them having players unavailable!

Oh. No doubt.  Just reporting what has happened.  Kid seems to be trouble. Arrested for OWI last season, and suspended for more than just one game.  We went through this with Sampson. Glad we are not going through it again.

28 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Oh. No doubt.  Just reporting what has happened.  Kid seems to be trouble. Arrested for OWI last season, and suspended for more than just one game.  We went through this with Sampson. Glad we are not going through it again.

Yes we have been through some turbulent times the last couple of decades. I am ready for smooth winning times! I don’t know how much longer it takes us to right the ship!

Archived