GAME DAY ! IU vs Iowa Pre-game thread

milehiiu

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Breaking news.  Pemsl has just been hit with a suspension for the Indiana game.

Pemsl is not averaging a lot of points. But he plays 22 mpg.  And reading the Iowa boards, does a ton of things that don't show up on the scoreboard.  Including protecting the baseline.

Addition by subtraction. They will just use more Kreener. Pemsl has really regressed this year

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Addition by subtraction. They will just use more Kreener. Pemsl has really regressed this year

While Pemsl isn’t putting up flashy numbers, he was one of 3 post players Iowa has that plays.

Without him, they are basically a 7 man rotation with Kreener and Garza being the only guys able to defend the post and rebound. If IU could get either one in foul trouble, it would really open up the paint.

10 hours ago, JugRox said:

While Pemsl isn’t putting up flashy numbers, he was one of 3 post players Iowa has that plays.

Without him, they are basically a 7 man rotation with Kreener and Garza being the only guys able to defend the post and rebound. If IU could get either one in foul trouble, it would really open up the paint.

You are correct it could open the paint.  It could also force them to go with more guards and wings which means more 3 point shooting.  And since we haven't shown the ability to feed the post at all consistently, i don't think they are too worried about it.  We will do what we always do and try to out shoot them from the 3.  This game comes down to how well we play defense on the 3 pointer.  Let Garza score 40, who cares.  If we keep their shooters to a normal night, we can keep this one close and pull out a winner

16 hours ago, Cutter said:

No disrespect but I would rather beat a team at full strength rather than beat them having players unavailable!

At this point i wouldnt care if we played 5 on 3 the whole game because the rest of their team had gout flare ups.  We need to score more points in 40 minutes than the team we are playing does and to a point, I dont really care how that happens.

13 hours ago, JugRox said:

I agree ...which you realize means they will like shoot 18 3’s in the first half with little post entry passing 🤦‍♂️

On 2/11/2020 at 9:35 AM, IowaHoosierFan said:

You are correct it could open the paint.  It could also force them to go with more guards and wings which means more 3 point shooting.  And since we haven't shown the ability to feed the post at all consistently, i don't think they are too worried about it.  We will do what we always do and try to out shoot them from the 3.  This game comes down to how well we play defense on the 3 pointer.  Let Garza score 40, who cares.  If we keep their shooters to a normal night, we can keep this one close and pull out a winner

I was thinking the same. They will go with more guards/wings and we will get lit up from 3 like we do from every other team in the conference. Some no name will come off the bench and look like a super star draining 3s like he’s never done before 🙄

On 2/11/2020 at 10:35 AM, IowaHoosierFan said:

Perfect game to go with the small lineup.

45 minutes ago, BDB said:

It was -10 here in Iowa this morning.  Hopefully, this cold weather impacts the Hawks shooting.  However, I have a bad feeling Weezy & Fredrickson are gonna go nuts against this defense.  

Iowa is known to fall apart in February and into March.  I don't know which version of Iowa we will get.  Unfortunately i won't be watching the game.  Will be following the score though, so i hope it is all IU all night

On 2/10/2020 at 10:22 AM, iuthruandthru said:

I am not confident, but my hope is maybe losing at home to Purdue again in the day coach knight returned to AH might motivate these players to get their heads out of their rumps and play some inspired ball.

Side note:  Joey should have never cut his hair, the majority of the teams slide I blame on his hair

Not too optimistic about this game, hence why I will DVR it.

I mean if this team couldn't get up in front of a packed house, RMK returning, as well as former IU greats, plus playing our arch rival, I don't know what to expect.....

The term must win gets thrown around a lot, but this one really feels like a must win.  Win tonight and we are still on track for 9-11 in the B1G by winning out at home, 10-10 if we can pull a rabbit out of our hats and get one more on the road.  Either scenario should get us in.  Lose tonight and we are on pace for 8-12 just by winning out at home and would need two more on the road to get to 10-10.  8-12 might be enough, but I wouldn't bet on it, plus getting two more on the road feels like a bridge to far to cross.  

Archived