Interesting Inside the Hall article: Archie Cites Locker Room Challenges

IUFLA

Link

“It was a disappointing day…we didn’t play well,” Miller said of Saturday. He expanded on this by saying the struggle for Indiana is more mental than physical, and that the Hoosiers are struggling with a togetherness in the locker room right now."

It's been mentioned here before, and where there's smoke...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Link

“It was a disappointing day…we didn’t play well,” Miller said of Saturday. He expanded on this by saying the struggle for Indiana is more mental than physical, and that the Hoosiers are struggling with a togetherness in the locker room right now."

It's been mentioned here before, and where there's smoke...

I can't help but think there are nosy, opinionated parents and even former travel coaches in a few of our players ears.....There should only be ONE voice a player listens too...Head Coach.

3 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I can't help but think there are nosy, opinionated parents and even former travel coaches in a few of our players ears.....There should only be ONE voice a player listens too...Head Coach.

I agree but those times are gone.  That’s why transfers are happening at a new level.

Cleaning these things up is easier said then done. I was on a team my senior of college that had three different “groups” on the team. Everyone got along, there weren’t fights or personal issues or anything, but we had three different factions of guys and all had different priorities, etc.  

Again, everyone got along, but the three different groups having different priorities hurt our team. One group felt the team should all be partying together off the court. They tried to schedule mixers and parties to get everyone hanging out off the court. A second group didn’t agree with the first group because those guys were partying too much and it was impacting practice, etc., then the third group really just kind of did their own thing. 

The locker room was fine, we all liked each other, but there wasn’t that togetherness that good teams have. The sad part is, there was absolutely nothing our coach could have done to fix that. It just was, was it was. 

Not saying the situation at IU is hopeless, just saying sometimes there isn’t much the coach can do to fix it. 

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Cleaning these things up is easier said then done. I was on a team my senior of college that had three different “groups” on the team. Everyone got along, there weren’t fights or personal issues or anything, but we had three different factions of guys and all had different priorities, etc.  

Again, everyone got along, but the three different groups having different priorities hurt our team. One group felt the team should all be partying together off the court. They tried to schedule mixers and parties to get everyone hanging out off the court. A second group didn’t agree with the first group because those guys were partying too much and it was impacting practice, etc., then the third group really just kind of did their own thing. 

The locker room was fine, we all liked each other, but there wasn’t that togetherness that good teams have. The sad part is, there was absolutely nothing our coach could have done to fix that. It just was, was it was. 

Not saying the situation at IU is hopeless, just saying sometimes there isn’t much the coach can do to fix it. 

I really feel this is the deadly situation our current team is in right now....I have repeated these same sentiments several times......I often get replies..." that's what the coach gets paid big money to fix"....

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That's why I get a little flummoxed when the replacement talk starts.

This is something that the PLAYER LEADERSHIP would have to address...

UNLESS it's the player leadership that is the problem...

Archie COULD indeed impose his will, sit or dismiss the offending party(s)...but he'd wash away all hopes of an NCAA berth in the process...

I'm not going to bore you with my resume...but I've been in similar situations...very tricky to handle, and it can blow up in your face...

But it DOES have to start with a communication between Archie and the team leaders (which I would guess has happened more than a few times already)...

From there, if THEY buy in, it can work...if not, we continue to struggle...

And apparently they haven't bought in yet...

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

I have been preaching this in terms of Smith, for what seems like months now.

As for the coaching replacement thread going on.  I have been through my share of those. Over the years. Davis. Sampson. Crean.  It has worn me out. I am staying out of it this time. Nothing mere fans like us can do about it.  So why worry. I have seen members feeling the current replacement talk could harm recruiting. I can't see how that talk can help.  I am going to continue to support IUBB in a positive way. The return of Coach Knight, was like putting a patch on a wound that kept festering for years. Some members have said they are turning away from IUBB, due to the current product on the court. Let it be known. That is something I will never do.

I don't care if every single player in the locker room hates each other.  I don't care if they wouldn't  piss on each other if they were on fire.  And i don't care for the lip service that CAM is throwing out there post game after post game.  He doesn't do anything.  We start the same 5 guys.  We play the exact same offensive and defensive schemes.  We bring the same 5 who started the game out for the start of the second half.  We don't adjust our offense or defense for the second half.  Do something!  Anything Different.  Play man to man.  Go full court press the whole game.  Don't sub anyone out of the game.  Start 5 completely different guys.  Play a game where we shoot nothing but 3's.  

I don't care anymore.  Stop talking.  Stop apologizing.  Stop being mediocre.  Be bold.  Be different. Be Courageous.  Be anything different that what we are right now.  It can't get any worst.  If they fire you, fine, you walk about with 20 million dollars and will easily find another job.  Remember we're the nut job fan base with the AD who won't let you do anything.

DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT PLEASE!

4 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Wasn’t this a problem last year about this time...fighting in the locker room...Dads taking to Twitter so on and so forth 

I would just caution on not extrapolating what was said into something that might not really be there. Of course none of us know what is actually going on in the locker room, but I'd just caution on taking "lack of togetherness" and turning into fighting in the locker room or that guys don't like each other, etc. 

I don't mean this necessarily directed at you, just using your post as a jump off to make a general point. 

26 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I don't care if every single player in the locker room hates each other.  I don't care if they would piss on each other if they were on fire.  And i don't care for the lip service that CAM is throwing out there post game after postgame.  He doesn't do anything.  We start the same 5 guys.  We play the exact same offensive and defensive schemes.  We bring the same 5 who started the game out for the start of the second half.  We don't adjust our offense or defense for the second half.  Do something!  Anything Different.  Play man to man.  Go full court press the whole game.  Don't sub anyone out of the game.  Start 5 completely different guys.  Play a game where we shoot nothing but 3's.  

I don't care anymore.  Stop talking.  Stop apologizing.  Stop being mediocre.  Be bold.  Be different. Be Courageous.  Be anything different that what we are right now.  It can't get any worst.  If they fire you, fine, you walk about with 20 million dollars and will easily find another job.  Remember we're the nut job fan base with the AD who won't let you do anything.

DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT PLEASE!

Insanity- doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.

I mean, it seems pretty clear that they aren't connecting with respect to chemistry - I think you can see that on the court, and in their play. I think most of us have played on teams with both good and bad chemistry, and it does make a big difference. I guess my question is, is this a CTC's players vs. CAM's players thing, or is it something else? If it's the former, than it should fix itself with time. If it's the latter, I don't really know what to think, because this is a part of recruiting - it's not just throwing guys with stats together like a fantasy basketball team.

10 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I mean, it seems pretty clear that they aren't connecting with respect to chemistry - I think you can see that on the court, and in their play. I think most of us have played on teams with both good and bad chemistry, and it does make a big difference. I guess my question is, is this a CTC's players vs. CAM's players thing, or is it something else? If it's the former, than it should fix itself with time. If it's the latter, I don't really know what to think, because this is a part of recruiting - it's not just throwing guys with stats together like a fantasy basketball team.

That's the thing, no one here knows.

Gleas's post above is good advice -- though I would bet good money it will go ignored and some will start exploiting a perceived opening to lambaste players or the coach -- we just don't know. It's been pretty clear that something is missing among the players in the past few games -- the 'fight' or 'effort level' etc. is noticeably down, and that often comes with a lack of chemistry or togetherness or whatever -- hope they get it figured out fast.

3 minutes ago, Hoosier76 said:

I wish I knew who the issue is. Outside of just a few players, remove them If they’re a problem 🤷🏻‍♂️

It might not be one guy, it could be groups of teammates with different thoughts on things. It could be 4 guys over here and 5 guys over there, and then another 2 guys that straddle the groups. They may all really like each other but just have different ideas on what's important to them or how the team should get along, etc. 

It's not always as simple as just kicking one guy off the team, and bam everything is fixed. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

As for the coaching replacement thread going on.  I have been through my share of those. Over the years. Davis. Sampson. Crean.  It has worn me out. I am staying out of it this time. Nothing mere fans like us can do about it.  So why worry. I have seen members feeling the current replacement talk could harm recruiting. I can't see how that talk can help.  I am going to continue to support IUBB in a positive way. The return of Coach Knight, was like putting a patch on a wound that kept festering for years. Some members have said they are turning away from IUBB, due to the current product on the court. Let it be known. That is something I will never do.

Man Mile, ......once again, valuable words from the wise and respected.....Well said in a nutshell! This is what I call a "True IU" fan and hope others see in me as well.

There are too many "so-called" IU fans that don't realize the damage they are continually producing .........

45 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I would just caution on not extrapolating what was said into something that might not really be there. Of course none of us know what is actually going on in the locker room, but I'd just caution on taking "lack of togetherness" and turning into fighting in the locker room or that guys don't like each other, etc. 

I don't mean this necessarily directed at you, just using your post as a jump off to make a general point. 

The fighting was brought up on the board last year...that why i said this time last year..not saying there was fighting this year

45 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I knew when I started this thread there would be a certain amount of speculation. 

It's not easy from the outside to understand team/leadership dynamics or to diagnose a team leadership issue.

But there are certain basic leadership principles Archie can and should adhere to...

Do what's overall best for the whole team, even those that aren't quite buying in...

Communicate...

Be consistent in the message...

One other thing...people can say they're buying in, but the old adage "actions speak louder than words" applies. And that's where he needs to invoke accountability...

If you say you're buying in, then I can demonstrate to you on film youre doing things that belie those words, it's hard to argue against...

23 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Man Mile, ......once again, valuable words from the wise and respected.....Well said in a nutshell! This is what I call a "True IU" fan and hope others see in me as well.

There are too many "so-called" IU fans that don't realize the damage they are continually producing .........

Thank you for your kind words.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Hoosier born

Hoosier bred

Be a Hoosier til I'm dead...

Archived