Iowa post game

The mystery of this season has been solved... Archie just needs to pay a current NBA player to come to every game the rest of the season, and Devonte will average 30 ppg.  We had the FSU game with Vic watching, and now this game in front of OG, Juwan, and Danny Green, lol.

In all seriousness, great that we won a must-win game.  Was only able to catch bits and pieces of the game... Seems like those are always the games we win, smh.  Maybe I need to watch less.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Does anyone know what happened with Hunter's technical? I don't get too worked up about a guy momentarily blowing his lid and getting t'ed up, but that doesn't seem to be at all what happened. Hunter seemed quite calm, but his reaction was obviously going to lead to a t. 

I never saw another angle or a zoom in on Phinisee's reaching fouls, so it's possible one or both of those happened, but from my vantage point he committed zero fouls last night and was called for four.

I thought that T was a horrible call unless he said something that we don't know.  If they called a T on him then the Iowa player deserved one as well.

10 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Does anyone know what happened with Hunter's technical? I don't get too worked up about a guy momentarily blowing his lid and getting t'ed up, but that doesn't seem to be at all what happened. Hunter seemed quite calm, but his reaction was obviously going to lead to a t. 

I never saw another angle or a zoom in on Phinisee's reaching fouls, so it's possible one or both of those happened, but from my vantage point he committed zero fouls last night and was called for four.

I was wander the same thing.  It looked like the Iowa player started to follow him saying something and then he turned around and pointed at him.  Not sure what was said but I think if a T is called it should have been on both players.

35 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

having a crush on Garza with those scary eye brows is a bit concerning... i have always been a big Brunk fan, but he was bad last night.  no biggie.  certain match-ups will dictate what kind of contributor he will be.  still love the guy!  RP struggled last night, but i am definitely still a believer.  good to see Thompson playing better.  not advocating for making him a starter just yet though.  i am coming around (and admitting i was wrong) about Hunter.  i don't think there's any way it will happen, but i would be totally good with him starting instead of Smith.  i'm a huge TJD fan.  DG is what he is.  he was clearly dialed in last night, so you ride him.  if he comes out forcing shots and missing Sunday, pull him and don't play him much.  it's usually pretty easy to see early on.  last night gives me tourney hopes, but again, winning either of the next 2 on the road is gonna be awful tough.  

I get that Smith struggled offense last night (man can he leave points on the table) but I don’t think you can overlook the defense he played on Wieskamp. Shut down their #2 option for the most part. I like that Smith doesn’t force himself into the offensive action and takes what comes to him, and that he seems really locked in on D

Just now, IU Scott said:

I thought that T was a horrible call unless he said something that we don't know.  If they called a T on him then the Iowa player deserved one as well.

I saw Hunter simultaneously push, lightly but still push, two Iowa players and then wag his finger in one of their faces. I have no doubt that one or both of them said/did something first, but given there was no whistle at that point, Hunter was clearly going to get T'ed up.

Just now, HoosierDom said:

I saw Hunter simultaneously push, lightly but still push, two Iowa players and then wag his finger in one of their faces. I have no doubt that one or both of them said/did something first, but given there was no whistle at that point, Hunter was clearly going to get T'ed up.

Both were in his face and flowing him when Hunter tried to move away.

14 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Hunter was saying something to Wieskamp and Fran's kid came up from behind and started running his hole...Jerome spun around and put his index finger in McCaffery's face and said something...probably something to the effect that he wouldn't be on the floor if his Dad wasn't the Hawkeye's coach 😁

Anyway, I thought at the time the wagging finger in the face was the reason for the T...

5 minutes ago, Zville Hoosier said:

I get that Smith struggled offense last night (man can he leave points on the table) but I don’t think you can overlook the defense he played on Wieskamp. Shut down their #2 option for the most part. I like that Smith doesn’t force himself into the offensive action and takes what comes to him, and that he seems really locked in on D

Agreed. I also don't get the logic of hey, we played really well, so let's change things up. It seems we're still being careful with JH's minutes, so he's still going to get that amount whether he's starting or coming off the bench.

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Hunter was saying something to Wieskamp and Fran's kid came up from behind and started running his hole...Jerome spun around and put his index finger in McCaffery's face and said something...probably something to the effect that he wouldn't be on the floor if his Dad wasn't the Hawkeye's coach 😁

Anyway, I thought at the time the wagging finger in the face was the reason for the T...

I loved it. I'd bet he said something like, "shut your damn mouth if you know what's good for you". 

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Both were in his face and flowing him when Hunter tried to move away.

That is what I remember as well.  At least one Iowa player was following Hunter as he was walking away saying something.  Then Hunter turns around and confronted him.  Anyone have the video to post?

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Like or not.....I loved seeing that toughness in Hunter. I always enjoy watching a little smack talk among players at times. It also shows me that continued confidence Hunter is gaining....

3 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Like or not.....I loved seeing that toughness in Hunter. I always enjoy watching a little smack talk among players at times. It also shows me that continued confidence Hunter is gaining....

100% with you.

One thing this team has been missing is fire -- the Thomas Bryant / Vic / Sheehey etc. type of energy with fire -- 

Hunter and Race both bring that -- On top of Hunter's continuing improvement this season, getting his game legs back under him, and not meaning to discount this season at all, but I am really looking forward to seeing Hunter and Race next season in bigger roles, with their continuing growth through the rest of this season and summer. Those guys bring it

4 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

All seven games against NET top 40. Five Quad 1 and two Quad 2. Wisky home game could move up to Quad 1 by the time it's played.

Really need a road win. Those weigh heavily in the NET.

Well, we have 4 chances for more road wins.

Huge, huge win! A few random thoughts...

- Obviously, DG and Trayce were great, but it's so huge for this team when multiple guys (Phinisee, Hunter, Durham) hit at least 1 3. To have multiple guys make a 3, and two guys (DG & Phinisee) hit more than 1 was huge.

- If IU can get the Race Thompson from tonight and the one that was coming on prior to the MSU game injury, that will be a huge help. He allows IU to still be somewhat big, but not lose athleticism. He also plays as hard as anyone.

- I don't know if the minutes breakdown bears this out, but from the eye test it seemed like Phinisee and Green played together much more in this game than they have been. It reminded me of down the stretch last season when Phinisee finally got healthy and Green thrived playing off the ball. Especially in the second half, Green was basically a spot-up shooter off of others creating offense. That's huge for him because it allows him to shoot, but eliminates the stuff where he has to create and be a decision maker. I hope this was a purposeful thing and that it happens more. You could see Green moving the ball quickly if he didn't have a shot, as opposed to the constant dribbling he sometimes does, and also looking to get the ball to Phinisee if someone outletted to him. 

- I don't want to get too excited about the offensive explosion. Iowa is not a good defensive team and they're also just as bad as IU on the road. Sort of a 'perfect storm' type of scenario, especially when you add in that IU's backs were against the wall. 

- Loved the gameplan of playing Garza 1-on-1 and not doubling. Let him get his and just shut the others down. Worked to perfection.

- Smith was fantastic defensively. IU is so much better when Smith focuses on being the defensive leader, plays hard, and just lets offense come to him if it's there. 

5 minutes ago, loviubb said:

Rico do you think if we get to 19 we are in even if the 19th win comes in Big 10 tourney? Just curious.

Something to consider is that as long as we don’t finish 11th or 12th, any win in the BTT will likely be a Quad 1 win, unless Minnesota ends up falling out of the top 50.

Archived