Iowa post game

14 minutes ago, JugRox said:

He isn’t going to go up in the draft next year. What exactly does he need to improve on? The point is to cash in when the stock is the highest.

If he wants to play professional (even over seas), playing an extra year is a years worth of money and risk of injury. 

I have no doubt the will leave but I don't understand the thinking of giving up a year of eligibility if you aren't going to be drafted.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have no doubt the will leave but I don't understand the thinking of giving up a year of eligibility if you aren't going to be drafted.

Garza will be a first rounder. 6'11 skilled big man that shoot the 3. Not great playing D but hey the Pacers have 2 of those guys. One is an All-Star this year. The most impressive thing about Garza last night, 260 lbs and only sat out 20 seconds and still had the legs to make 3's late. Kid is in great shape.

1 minute ago, JugRox said:

And was 1st round pick the year before. He gained nothing.

Well I disagree with your viewpoint which is fine but why is it hard for people to understand that some just enjoy playing the college game.  Listened to Robby Hummel talking the other day about an NBA veteran who had won a NBA championship tell Robby that just enjoy the college game because it will be the funniest time you will eve have playing basketball.  Robby did not really believe him but when he got to the NBA he realized that this guy was correct.

Also Tim Duncan could have left after his freshman year and been the #1 pick in the draft but stayed 4 years and was still the #1 pick.  I don't think that decision really hurt his career one bit.  if a kid wants to go to the NBA fine but why do people tell the kids who might want to stay that they are making a mistake.  Remember a time when kids was ridiculed for leaving early and now they get ridiculed for staying.

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So he can get paid to play basketball instead of playing for free? The development of the G League and the inception of the new 2-Way Contracts have changed the game. Those things have allowed players beyond the 15 roster guys to become valuable to teams and get paid more. 

Just looking at the Celtics, before these 2-way contracts came into play, they probably wouldn't care all that much about Tremont Waters or Taco Fall, but since they're valued by the organization greater than just a regular G-League player, they're a commodity to the Celtics. Before the 2-way contract thing, neither probably would have played a second in the NBA at this point, but now both have been called up and sent back several times and have gotten NBA minutes. 

Same for Juwan Morgan. He wouldn't have played in the NBA to this point if it wasn't for how the G League has developed and these 2-Way type of contracts. The path isn't nearly as difficult to getting a chance in the NBA as it was in previous generations and not getting drafted is almost better than being a second round pick. 

These 2nd round and non-drafted guys are getting paid more, getting taken care of better, and getting a chance for NBA minutes quicker than ever before. 

28 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

It was Doyel.  I can't tell you how many times he has done stuff like last night.  It is always about him.  The guy is a tool.  His questions of Justin Smith earlier in the year were far worse.

His tone was entirely caustic and combative. I was appalled at the way he came back at Devonte when asked for clarification. He acted like Devonte had personally failed him and insulted him. There are a lot of moments where Doyel has acted that way and should be ashamed. His attack on Joanie Crean is chief among them.

I can't recall what questions he asked of Justin Smith earlier? what were they?

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

So he can get paid to play basketball instead of playing for free? The development of the G League and the inception of the new 2-Way Contracts have changed the game. Those things have allowed players beyond the 15 roster guys to become valuable to teams and get paid more. 

Just looking at the Celtics, before these 2-way contracts came into play, they probably wouldn't care all that much about Tremont Waters or Taco Fall, but since they're valued by the organization greater than just a regular G-League player, they're a commodity to the Celtics. Before the 2-way contract thing, neither probably would have played a second in the NBA at this point, but now both have been called up and sent back several times and have gotten NBA minutes. 

Same for Juwan Morgan. He wouldn't have played in the NBA to this point if it wasn't for how the G League has developed and these 2-Way type of contracts. The path isn't nearly as difficult to getting a chance in the NBA as it was in previous generations and not getting drafted is almost better than being a second round pick. 

These 2nd round and non-drafted guys are getting paid more, getting taken care of better, and getting a chance for NBA minutes quicker than ever before. 

I guess I am just different and look at things differently because I would not be willing to  leave college for just a chance to play in the G-league.  I am actually different because I would stay all 4 years even if I were going to be picked high in the draft.  To me enjoy your time in college because the NBA or over seas teams will always be there and you have plenty of time to be an adult and have responsibilities.

2 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

His tone was entirely caustic and combative. I was appalled at the way he came back at Devonte when asked for clarification. He acted like Devonte had personally failed him and insulted him. There are a lot of moments where Doyel has acted that way and should be ashamed. His attack on Joanie Crean is chief among them.

Yeah, I didn't think in general the topic was necessarily off-base, but Doyel's word choice, tone and delivery were about as bad as it gets. It was almost like he seemed personally offended by Green. 

The topic of "how do you handle being inconsistent, what can you do to combat inconsistency and limit it" is a good question/topic, but his tone and word choice were extremely poor IMO and borderline combative. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I guess I am just different and look at things differently because I would not be willing to  leave college for just a chance to play in the G-league.  I am actually different because I would stay all 4 years even if I were going to be picked high in the draft.  To me enjoy your time in college because the NBA or over seas teams will always be there and you have plenty of time to be an adult and have responsibilities.

It won't always be there though. Professional athletes have a short window to monetize their abilities and also have the threat of injury (see Creek, Maurice, etc.). Most players aren't LeBron, Kobe, Garnett, Duncan where they play 18+ years and this isn't golf where you can win big and cash checks into your 60's and beyond. A guy like Garza is at his peak of marketability as a college player and most likely will have his degree this year or will be extremely close to it. So, he should play for free for the glory of the U?

Guys are now starting to get paid in the G League and the G League is a much improved tool for working your way to the NBA than it was just 3-4 years ago. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

It won't always be there though. Professional athletes have a short window to monetize their abilities and also have the threat of injury (see Creek, Maurice, etc.). Most players aren't LeBron, Kobe, Garnett, Duncan where they play 18+ years and this isn't golf where you can win big and cash checks into your 60's and beyond. A guy like Garza is at his peak of marketability as a college player and most likely will have his degree this year or will be extremely close to it. So, he should play for free for the glory of the U?

Guys are now starting to get paid in the G League and the G League is a much improved tool for working your way to the NBA than it was just 3-4 years ago. 

Like I said I am different and you don't have to agree with my view points.  Like I said in another post how Hummel stated how a veteran NBA champions told him to enjoy his time in college because it is the best time you will ever have playing basketball.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Like I said I am different and you don't have to agree with my view points.  Like I said in another post how Hummel stated how a veteran NBA champions told him to enjoy his time in college because it is the best time you will ever have playing basketball.

Easy for the NBA champion with probably minimum $40 million in the bank to say. 

In general though, I get your viewpoint on this. College basketball can be really fun. Heck, college in general is fun. But, you yourself said your viewpoint on this is different, right? Your viewpoint is certainly an outlier on this topic. So I just get confused when you say things like, "I don't understand the thinking of giving up a year of eligibility if you aren't going to be drafted."

We've explained the thinking to you, it's pretty simple. Players all over the country have explained the thinking, and that line of thinking is the norm. Your line of thinking is the outlier, so I don't get why you don't understand it? I get you disagree with it, but it's pretty crystal clear and widely accepted as to why a guy like Garza would leave early. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Easy for the NBA champion with probably minimum $40 million in the bank to say. 

In general though, I get your viewpoint on this. College basketball can be really fun. Heck, college in general is fun. But, you yourself said your viewpoint on this is different, right? Your viewpoint is certainly an outlier on this topic. So I just get confused when you say things like, "I don't understand the thinking of giving up a year of eligibility if you aren't going to be drafted."

We've explained the thinking to you, it's pretty simple. Players all over the country have explained the thinking, and that line of thinking is the norm. Your line of thinking is the outlier, so I don't get why you don't understand it? I get you disagree with it, but it's pretty crystal clear and widely accepted as to why a guy like Garza would leave early. 

when I say I don't understand it means I don't agree with it because I don't think it would be worth it.

51 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

It was Doyel.  I can't tell you how many times he has done stuff like last night.  It is always about him.  The guy is a tool.  His questions of Justin Smith earlier in the year were far worse.

Really ? Wow that surprises me ...I certainly don’t doubt you I’ve just always had a different ( albeit limited ) experience ...thank you for pointing it out so I have more perspective on the subject 

11 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

It was after the first game of the year.  Smith probably had a good game offensively against Western Illinois.  That led Doyel to believe that performance meant Smith was a true 3 and was only being held back by his coaches.

Smith clearly didn't want to answer to which Doyel yelled at him "SAY IT" (at 5:10) trying to get him to say that he should be playing the 3 that the coaches are holding him back.

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Lunardi actually drops us down in his bracket after last night's win.  We went from the top ranked of the 4 play in teams to the 2nd ranked in the list.  

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Amazing.  All I can say is....keep the faith Hoosier Sports Nation.  I have not given up on this team all season long. And I certainly am not about to give up on them now. Especially after basically handling a ranked team all game long.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I'd feel a lot better if at least one more of those were a quality road win if we aren't getting to 20. I look at the other B1G teams with similar records they all have now won at least 1 quality true road win. We have a good resume of wins...and should be really good with just home wins the rest of the way...but I don't want NOT having that quality road win standing out against us when others have one or two. It's either that or win a couple in the B1G tournament...that always helps because it's the last thing the committee sees and remembers.

10000% agree ...I wanna see a twenty something number and if we only get to 19 we need one quad 1 on the road at Minimum because it’s not just the big 10 we are dealing with ...we have the toughest league but the big East is super deep also and we are fighting their bubble resumes 

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Some players frankly can't afford to make that sacrifice or take the risk of staying in college to play.   What if you're family was struggling?  Say you had a sibling that needed medical treatment but your single mom couldn't afford it.  Would you stay in college to enjoy college life still or do you get paid and take care of your family?  Of course you'd go and get paid.  We all would.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

My years as a Colts fan tell me all I need to know about Doyle.....tool is a perfect word for him!

Archived