Iowa post game

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well I disagree with your viewpoint which is fine but why is it hard for people to understand that some just enjoy playing the college game.  Listened to Robby Hummel talking the other day about an NBA veteran who had won a NBA championship tell Robby that just enjoy the college game because it will be the funniest time you will eve have playing basketball.  Robby did not really believe him but when he got to the NBA he realized that this guy was correct.

Also Tim Duncan could have left after his freshman year and been the #1 pick in the draft but stayed 4 years and was still the #1 pick.  I don't think that decision really hurt his career one bit.  if a kid wants to go to the NBA fine but why do people tell the kids who might want to stay that they are making a mistake.  Remember a time when kids was ridiculed for leaving early and now they get ridiculed for staying.

Going to say this without trying to be mean.....that way of thinking is way in the past. Duncan was over 20 years ago and the exception, not the rule.

Its simple, if a kid wants to make as much money as possible playing basketball, they have to strike when the iron is hot. Staying in school another year just delays development as a professional an additional year in the prime of a players playing age. It could cost Garza a million dollars in the long run by staying another year.

If he isn't a NBA first rounder this year, he isn't going to be one next year. But that doesn't mean he can't make close to a million a year over seas.

If he has no intention of making money playing basketball, sure, stay another year. 

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, JugRox said:

Going to say this without trying to be mean.....that way of thinking is way in the past. Duncan was over 20 years ago and the exception, not the rule.

Its simple, if a kid wants to make as much money as possible playing basketball, they have to strike when the iron is hot. Staying in school another year just delays development as a professional an additional year in the prime of a players playing age. It could cost Garza a million dollars in the long run by staying another year.

If he isn't a NBA first rounder this year, he isn't going to be one next year. But that doesn't mean he can't make close to a million a year over seas.

If he has no intention of making money playing basketball, sure, stay another year. 

Well from my past experience if you base all of your big decision based solely on money it usually doesn't work out.  Why can't he be a 1st rounder next year because he could work on more things and make him a better draft candidate, 

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well from my past experience if you base all of your big decision based solely on money it usually doesn't work out.  Why can't he be a 1st rounder next year because he could work on more things and make him a better draft candidate, 

Because he is going to be 22 years old. What exactly can he improve on at this point to get in the first round? What he lacks he can't improve on.

NBA drafts on potential, and Garza isn't going to get any more athletic, faster, or taller. He is what he is at this point in his career. 

NBA doesn't draft on college production...or he would be a first rounder this year. 

Guys like Cockburn from UI will pass Garza by next year.

Again, if Garza doesnt care about losing millions of dollars....stay. For me, I wouldn't mind have an extra million... lol

2 minutes ago, JugRox said:

Because he is going to be 22 years old. What exactly can he improve on at this point to get in the first round? What he lacks he can't improve on.

NBA drafts on potential, and Garza isn't going to get any more athletic, faster, or taller. He is what he is at this point in his career. 

NBA doesn't draft on college production...or he would be a first rounder this year. 

Guys like Cockburn from UI will pass Garza by next year.

Again, if Garza doesnt care about losing millions of dollars....stay. For me, I wouldn't mind have an extra million... lol

Like I said I am different because I am not going to make that decision based on money because it does not run my life.  If your family is destitute and really need the money I can see it.  IT was like that and he left but he was top 3 pick and has said many times if it weren't for the money he would have stayed because he loved college.  Again I know I am different and I would not want to give up any of my years getting to play college basketball and the chance to play in the tournament.  You only get so much time to do that so it is not worth it to me to give it up.  I know you can't understand my thinking and that is fine with me.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

His biggest limitation is his athletic ability, and that's not going to get better with another year in college. 

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

All doesn't equal one. We're talking about one decision based on money. A decision quite frankly 99.9% will never truly understand. When was the last time any of us on this board literally made a million+ dollar decision?

3 hours ago, Indykev said:

Garza will be a first rounder. 6'11 skilled big man that shoot the 3. Not great playing D but hey the Pacers have 2 of those guys. One is an All-Star this year. The most impressive thing about Garza last night, 260 lbs and only sat out 20 seconds and still had the legs to make 3's late. Kid is in great shape.

Currently not on a single moch draft i could find.  Blows my mind

10 hours ago, rico said:

Let me rephrase it...I took the night off from posting but was here watching and waiting for the "cheer block" to make an appearance.  

I was lurking also and came close to posting several times last night. To me to much stress goes in to a game. To much Neg. and Plus about Cam and Team last few games . Life is short enjoy it while we can. I am as ( befuddled) :jumprope: by this team as most but have not given up on the team or CAM. I have been wrong a couple of times in my life ( Married 3 times) Sorry Fouls can't come close to you😀 But the last 1 has been going for close to 38 years! I am still hoping we can play this way on the road, Happy Valentines  Day!!! I HOPE we win the next 7 but not likely!

4 hours ago, Indykev said:

Garza will be a first rounder. 6'11 skilled big man that shoot the 3. Not great playing D but hey the Pacers have 2 of those guys. One is an All-Star this year. The most impressive thing about Garza last night, 260 lbs and only sat out 20 seconds and still had the legs to make 3's late. Kid is in great shape.

Really good kid. I remember when Crean first offered him. Was met with some resistance as always because he was an out of stater. Oh well. Win some lose some.

Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

Just crazy.  I get he isn't very athletic but the kid can play ball and shoot really well

Remember, those mocks aren't from NBA execs.  They are from guys making a living off of speculating without ever having played the game.

1 hour ago, rico said:

Someone had their top 50 today?  Maybe CBS.  Weiskamp was on it but no Garza.

That's laughable.  It's all perception.  He's a lumbering Clydesdale, so he can't possibility be a decent valuable basketball player.  Check the kid's motor...his heart...and, oh yeah, btw he can shoot the ball pretty darn well.

Archived