Michigan Post Game

Just now, IU Scott said:

That is so true because the product on the court has been pretty bad this year.

It’s awful. Gotta be the worst season in at least 10-15 years. There were some bad years at the peak of guys skipping college and going directly to the NBA. Even the good teams are average at best. Our 2012-13 team, if healthy, would cake walk tova National Title this year. 

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I think it’s more noticeable this year because honestly college basketball is just bad this year. It really is. Why that matters? Because lesser talent struggles more on the road. If you’re average, you’ll probably play well at home and struggle on the road. That’s what average does, and there is a whole lot of average and below average in college basketball this year. 

It's been an unremarkable season. And yet, it seems to me that four teams have merged from the mediocrity. Led by that undefeated team in California. 

Just now, milehiiu said:

It's been an unremarkable season. And yet, it seems to me that four teams have merged from the mediocrity. Led by that undefeated team in California. 

I don’t know. Who knows if they’re actually that good. I doubt SD St is close to undefeated if they were in the Big Ten. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It’s awful. Gotta be the worst season in at least 10-15 years. There were some bad years at the peak of guys skipping college and going directly to the NBA. Even the good teams are average at best. Our 2012-13 team, if healthy, would cake walk tova National Title this year. 

I see the top 5 ranked teams in the country today and think they would be lucky to be a top 20 team in the 80;s and 90's.

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I wish had a good answer for, other than it just is. There’s really nothing in particular I can say. It trickles down to almost all levels of basketball. In the D2 conference I played in, road wins were so hard to come by. For some reason, home teams tend to be more aggressive, they tend to stay more committed to what wins games (attacking the backet, getting to the foul line, moving more offensively, etc.). Where road teams, for whatever reason, tend to panick more once things go wrong. 

Youre out of your element, you’re out of your routine. I think in almost in any industry, feeling at home is easier. I’d bet a chef cooks a better meal in their home kitchen, as opposed to dropping them in a strange kitchen without their typical equipment. 

But yeah, it’s  hard to really pinpoint.  

I played low D1 baseball for a couple years, and I know for us, your point about out of your element was a big thing.  We would often have long bus/plane rides, get to the hotel at weird hours, have to get used to the batter's eye (kind of like what is behind the basket in basketball), get a feel for what the mound is like, have a different morning routine, etc.  On your home field/court, you have done things there thousands of times, so there is no doubt you can do it.

Because of a different facility and routine, I think doubt creeps in easier on the road.  For anybody who is a golfer, you know what that is like.  Stand over a 3 foot putt at your usual golf course, and it is a gimme (for some people!).  Stand over the same 3 foot putt at a different course, or after you just missed a 3 foot putt on the last hole, and it is no longer a gimme.  Nothing changes, just what your mind is telling you about the situation.

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I don’t know. Who knows if they’re actually that good. I doubt SD St is close to undefeated if they were in the Big Ten. 

I have been say the same thing about total wins. IF Kentucky or UCLA ECT. Play in the BIG 10 do they win as much! But IU  should compete on the ROAD! and have not  for years.

22 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Great thread guys.  Love all the input. As I am waiting, hopefully for the restart of the Daytona 500.  Just checked the weather.  And it does not look hopeful.  Just want to say.... YOU guys and gals are the best.  To have this kind of conversation after a huge loss is amazing to me.

Edit. Just heard the Daytona 500 has been postponed to President's Day.  Sigh.

If they would start it earlier in the day like they used to they wouldn’t have this problem as much.  The later start puts them in the rainy time of day. 

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

So, who, if anyone, affiliated with IU, do you think 'cared' today.  

• I did not see another player get in a teammate's face.
  • I did not see the coaching staff light a fire or make lineup changes

De'Ron, bless his heart, was an absolute beast, but even before he landed on his head, he was asking to come out of the game.  If I'm having the kind of game he's having and I'm getting pissed at the coach for even considering taking me out, let alone asking to come out.  

At halftime of the Butler / Georgetown game yesterday, Patrick Ewing was asked about how he would handle it if his players got fatigued, and he responded "They can worry about how tired they are tomorrow."  That's the type of commitment to the game I want from IU's coaches and players.

And Georgetown only had 5 scholarship players available for the game !!!

3 hours ago, Danomatic said:

Serious question: if Green, Davis and this Hoosiers team do not make the tournament.... how many players over the course of Indiana University’s basketball history have failed to reach the tournament their entire career? 

P.S. They have to have played at IU from their freshman season throughout their senior seasons. 

Amazing question  ...nothing comes to mind 

10 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

If they would start it earlier in the day like they used to they wouldn’t have this problem as much.  The later start puts them in the rainy time of day. 

Yeah. I thought they started the Great American Race earlier in the day, years past.  Well. I have got something to watch on Monday. Been following the race since they drove it on the beach.  And the great finish is 1959, when the track was new.  Lee Petty, in an Oldsmobile won it. But it was before modern cameras. Took two days to determine the winner. And watched as Earnhardt hit the wall, on the last lap. Thinking no big deal. Only to find out late that day, that he died as a result of the crash.

Dale Earnhardt Sr Death Crash 

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I see the top 5 ranked teams in the country today and think they would be lucky to be a top 20 team in the 80;s and 90's.

And think what teams did not get to play prior to the TV MONEY!!  That's when BB went down hill. Old and young. I have never seen a better player on offence then Wilt  or better defensive then Russell! And I never watched them on TV , We always had 3 stations and  signed off around midnight. Now its 24/7 High Lite are all these kids see! I hope IU  can be what I remember but if you can' t holler at a player . How do you Coach! Maybe just me. But if CAM is restricted he better get tough and as some have said his job is already 

3 hours ago, Danomatic said:

Thanks, I just couldn’t remember when or if this had happened before. I don’t know why it’s so difficult for these coaches to light a fire under these kids. I mean, I do see a lot of entitled kids on the AAU scene and parent/other coaches not teaching the kids accountability. I stress this and nip it in the bud, right out of the gate, so there isn’t any confusion. Now I also understand that I’m not a division one coach at a power five program, but I’d love to hear why Archie can’t light them up. So over the careless crap we’ve been watching. I can respect a losing team if they’re leaving it all out on the floor, but we’re getting blown out regularly on the road. Not one ounce of fight, or heart. 

Could not agree more on the aau circuit comment and it really compounds the problem if the kid is ranked top 150 .....while I know there are certainly exceptions ...it seems the majority of top 150 kids have a sense of entitlement and have been told their whole 18 years on the earth how amazing they are and they think 1. It’s all about them 2. They don’t have to work hard 3. They are never wrong ......in a sense I guess kids have always been this way but I have definitely noticed a decline in coachability for higher tier talent and it’s disappointing ....really miss the days when the top guys in the country WANTED to be challenged by rmk they weren’t looking for a payout or what they could have handed to them 

28 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Granted that the Mounain West is not the B1G.  However having watched SD State this season, I am here to say they are legit.  Kind of like Gonzaga years ago that got dished because of their conference, and playing when most East Coasters had gone to bed. Till finally people realized that Gonzaga and their coach were legit.

4 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Could not agree more on the aau circuit comment and it really compounds the problem if the kid is ranked top 150 .....while I know there are certainly exceptions ...it seems the majority of top 150 kids have a sense of entitlement and have been told their whole 18 years on the earth how amazing they are and they think 1. It’s all about them 2. They don’t have to work hard 3. They are never wrong ......in a sense I guess kids have always been this way but I have definitely noticed a decline in coachability for higher tier talent and it’s disappointing ....really miss the days when the top guys in the country WANTED to be challenged by rmk they weren’t looking for a payout or what they could have handed to them 

I was watching Indiana St and Mo St. today and the announcers was talking to a coach about players playing hard. The coach said he knows it is hard to believe but players today just does  not play hard all the time and have to be prodded to  give effort.  He said 20 years ago that was unheard of but it is the environment of today"s culture.

2 hours ago, AxnJxn said:

I really don’t understand the game plan going in. Michigan’s bigs aren’t that athletic, but instead of getting the ball to our best player against them, we’re feeding Joey, who slowed down the entire offense - guys were just standing around watching him get stuffed repeatedly. We get the b-ball inside to TJD early in the second half for a 3 point play, get one of their bigs his third foul,  and then we don’t really go back to it. I’m honestly kind of baffled at what seems to be  pretty obvious stuff here. 

Three...shots....the ....whole ....game 🤦‍♂️

Archived