Michigan Post Game

9 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I am going to say something shocking so please give me some leeway.  Rob isn't really that good.  He isn't a floor leader.  He isn't a great defender.  He isn't a lights out shooter.  Or Slasher.  Or scorer.  He is a better ball handler than anyone we have.  He is the level of player who would have really be successful as a junior/senior on a team where he was the back up the whole time and not being thrown to the wolves as a freshman.  He has moments where it feels like he is.  There have been a couple games where he seems like has ice in his veins.  But so does Green,  I like the kid and he seems nice but we put way to much hope on his perceived greatness.

Rob is a good player and I beleive will be steady and solid as an upperclassman if he could get injury free.  

With that being said, Miller and staff have recruited another point guard in each class including Robs class and have whiffed.  There is a reason why they go hard for elite athletic pg- the problem is they are coming up short.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AxnJxn said:

I'm pretty concerned about Rob's development. He had at least one fairly easy midrange jumper yesterday that wasn't even close to going in, and he's just looked inconsistent all year, on both ends. It could be that he's playing through an(other) injury, but that's also become a trend with him. I think we have to take a hard look at the PG position in the offseason.

I think the injuries, particularly the sports hernia (if that's what the abdominal issue was) set him back more than we think. I've always thought off-season is where you improve your individual game, and practice is to integrate those improvements with the team and keep them sharp.

Hopefully he'll get fully healed this off-season and we'll see the player we all thought we had when he was recruited...

1 minute ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Rob is a good player and I beleive will be steady and solid as an upperclassman if he could get injury free.  

With that being said, Miller and staff have recruited another point guard in each class including Robs class and have whiffed.  There is a reason why they go hard for elite athletic pg- the problem is they are coming up short.

Is lander the next on that list ?

Just now, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Well thanks for taking the time to do that ! Really well done ...also glad to know I’m not the only one that watches college and high school basketball film during work hours 😂

Thanks!  I'm a teacher, and we have President's Day off.  Now to find something enjoyable to do on my day off lol

1 hour ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

If he is truly injured then he shouldn't be playing.  I am just not buying that.  He was ranked 135 nationally out of high school.  Fringe 4* player.  We expect him to be/compete with 5* players and compare him to Yogi who was a legitimate 5* guy.  Rob is a role player and should be a role player.  Just because we're forcing him to be a starter and want him to be great doesn't mean he has it in him.  Just my thoughts.  You obviously have your opinion and i respect that.  I have adjusted my evaluation of Rob,  I hope he proves me wrong and makes me ear crow.  I would be glad to.

8 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

If he is truly injured then he shouldn't be playing.  I am just not buying that.  He was ranked 135 nationally out of high school.  Fringe 4* player.  We expect him to be/compete with 5* players and compare him to Yogi who was a legitimate 5* guy.  Rob is a rob player and should be a role player.  Just because we're forcing him to be a starter and want him to be great doesn't mean he has it in him.  Just my thoughts.  You obviously have your opinion and i respect that.  I have adjusted my evaluation of Rob,  I hope he proves me wrong and makes me ear crow.  I would be glad to.

Im not saying that his injury has caused bad passing angles and not setting up the offense two plays ahead.

We know he had an abdominal injury and we know he misses a ton of practice.  A pg on a good offense needs timing and practice is important.

I can see that his lateral quickness is not the same - maybe that is do to the ignite training coach who tweets more about his football players and former buisness then actual basketball work.  This has played into his lock down defense.

I can also tell that he does not have the lift off the floor that he did early in his career and especially on the winning shot last year against ND.  He use to have more power to the basket and again lift on his jump shot.

I have to think this is because of injury.  

Rob can be steady.

1 hour ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Im not saying that his injury has caused bad passing angles and not setting up the offense two plays ahead.

We know he had an abdominal injury and we know he misses a ton of practice.  A pg on a good offense needs timing and practice is important.

I can see that his lateral quickness is not the same - maybe that is do to the ignite training coach who tweets more about his football players and former buisness then actual basketball work.  This has played into his lock down defense.

I can also tell that he does not have the lift off the floor that he did early in his career and especially on the winning shot last year against ND.  He use to have more power to the basket and again lift on his jump shot.

I have to think this is because of injury.  

Rob can be steady.

Dont disagree he can be steady, but stead is not great.  Steady is not above average.  Steady is ranked 130. Which is what i am saying.  He isn't a bad player, he just isn't as good as everyone thinks he is.  And its hard to tell his lift since he doesn't really shoot.  And we really only saw that lift in a couple shots.  Its not like he was always a super high jump shooter.  There are only a couple of examples of when he has done that. 

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Dont disagree he can be steady, but stead is not great.  Steady is not above average.  Steady is ranked 130. Which is what i am saying.  He isn't a bad player, he just isn't as good as everyone thinks he is.  And its hard to tell his lift since he doesn't really shoot.  And we really only saw that lift in a couple shots.  Its not like he was always a super high jump shooter.  There are only a couple of examples of when he has done that. 

I thought RP could be our Trey Burke of UM who was not a top recruit but came in a was a great player.

41 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I was watching him in warm ups yesterday and he was pulling almost everyone of his shots. I think he had a couple of free throws during the game and pulled them. He really looked out of sorts. His form looked good and I also noticed he was jumping too high on his shot. 

42 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Also I am hoping the struggles that RP has had this year is because he is dealing with the abdominal injury and not just he has regressed.

When healthy he has been a very good, steady point guard. 

No one is saying he's a Yogi (who, by the way, was ranked North of 100 by all the scouts), but to just cast him in with 130-plus ranked high school kids generally as has been done in this thread is kind of surprising, considering how clearly effective he was his frosh year and the expectations that came with it, before injuries/health problems.

His decision-making (including as reflected in his TO percentage this season), and his shooting outside of spot-up shooting has gone down pretty significantly, pretty clear that's health / floor - time related. The team needs him fully back, and it needs another point guard recruit for next season, though I do think Franklin is going to be pretty solid

I know that RMK was the most stubborn person to maybe ever live and I accepted it as did most IU fans. CAM is way too stubborn and it is costing us dearly. Bin have only been us defend the pick and roll 1 way and every team kills us with it. That is all  Michigan does, stop hedging maybe just once jam it or double it. You have at least 4 ways to defend it stop hedging 40 ft away. 

On to Minny

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Also I am hoping the struggles that RP has had this year is because he is dealing with the abdominal injury and not just he has regressed.

He hasn't regressed.  He is just the same.  If you look at his numbers, they are pretty static.  This concerns me more than if he was hurt and everything got worst.  This is more telling that this could be as good as he is going to get.  Or he just doesn't work hard enough on himself to improve and specific area

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I know that RMK was the most stubborn person to maybe ever live and I accepted it as did most IU fans. CAM is way too stubborn and it is costing us dearly. Bin have only been us defend the pick and roll 1 way and every team kills us with it. That is all  Michigan does, stop hedging maybe just once jam it or double it. You have at least 4 ways to defend it stop hedging 40 ft away. 

On to Minny

Is that Osama Bin Laden's cousin?

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

He hasn't regressed.  He is just the same.  If you look at his numbers, they are pretty static.  Which concerns me more than if he was hurt and everything got worst.  This is more telling that this could be as good as he is going to get.  Or he just doesn't work hard enough on himself to improve and specific area

Stories have been told about all the Sophs work ethic.  In RPs defense he’s been banged up so much he can’t practice so the extra work couldn’t take place either.  I think RP is an average point at best.  I thought he was going to be a star.  

This team has terrible defensive fundamentals.
•They get caught on screens because they ball watch.
•They leave ball side corner a lot which gives up open 3’s.
•The give up middle drives all the time. 
Closeouts are bad which lead to getting driven. 
•The players get flat footed and struggle to react after. Michigan players keep moving.

•The IU players don’t consistently box out to get rebounds. 
•IU’s defense collapses which leads to lockout 3’s. 
•They guard the ball screen the same way all the time. It’s easy to counter when you do the same thing every possession.

These are just some of the obvious issues that you can’t win against good teams doing. Michigan took advantage of these a lot. 

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

This team has terrible defensive fundamentals.
•They get caught on screens because they ball watch.
•They leave ball side corner a lot which gives up open 3’s.
•The give up middle drives all the time. 
Closeouts are bad which lead to getting driven. 
•The players get flat footed and struggle to react after. Michigan players keep moving.

•The IU players don’t consistently box out to get rebounds. 
•IU’s defense collapses which leads to lockout 3’s. 
•They guard the ball screen the same way all the time. It’s easy to counter when you do the same thing every possession.

These are just some of the obvious issues that you can’t win against good teams doing. Michigan took advantage of these a lot. 

“A lot” is being very Kind lol 

Archived