Michigan Post Game

I was at the game and will write more later but one thing I can say is that we have become the Northwestern and Wisconsin from the 80's. This team has zero leaders, from the coaching staff down to the players. No heart, no intensity, no mental toughness.

The player of the game was DeRon. He played his butt off. Due to his injuries he just can't move. If he would not had all the injuries he would be a star. 
I am not impressed at all with Green, Durham or Smith. In my opinion, total head cases!

Archie in my opinion has no idea what to do or how to deal with this team. I am beginning to question if he is the right guy. In some ways he is Crean 2.0. 

And for the record, I love my Hoosiers. I just wish I could see them play like Hoosiers and not like Northwestern and Wisconsin from the 80's.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

I was at the game and will write more later but one thing I can say is that we have become the Northwestern and Wisconsin from the 80's. This team has zero leaders, from the coaching staff down to the players. No heart, no intensity, no mental toughness.

The player of the game was DeRon. He played his butt off. Due to his injuries he just can't move. If he would not had all the injuries he would be a star. 
I am not impressed at all with Green, Durham or Smith. In my opinion, total head cases!

Archie in my opinion has no idea what to do or how to deal with this team. I am beginning to question if he is the right guy. In some ways he is Crean 2.0. 

And for the record, I love my Hoosiers. I just wish I could see them play like Hoosiers and not like Northwestern and Wisconsin from the 80's.

Archie's biggest mistake. Not medical redshirting De'Ron. Just think what we would be with a fully healed De'Ron next year. And for the record. Like you. I love my Hoosiers. Always have. And always will. 

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Archie's biggest mistake. Not medical redshirting De'Ron. Just think what we would be with a fully healed De'Ron next year. And for the record. Like you. I love my Hoosiers. Always have. And always will. 

Mile, I agree with  you. DeRon tries but he just can't move. Today he was pretty active and played harder than anyone. He did everything he could do unlike the rest of the players. We don't have a team we have a bunch of individuals on the court with no common goal. 

It is pretty sad in my opinion. We have no where to go but up, which is something that won't happen with the current roster of players.

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Oh. And for the record.  De'Ron led ALL scorers with 18 points on Sunday.

Game MVP and the only one who tried or cared!

16 minutes ago, bobtcat2 said:

$2000 in a day!! what line of work is this?

Can 't tell ya.....

Just kidding though. I own a service business, going on 20 years now. I normally don't work week -ends, but I had to the last couple of days. While I missed the game, looks like it pretty well went the way I thought it would......  Sad

2 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Mile, I agree with  you. DeRon tries but he just can't move. Today he was pretty active and played harder than anyone. He did everything he could do unlike the rest of the players. We don't have a team we have a bunch of individuals on the court with no common goal. 

It is pretty sad in my opinion. We have no where to go but up, which is something that won't happen with the current roster of players.

Game MVP and the only one who tried or cared!

De'Ron was perfect from the field.  9 for 9.  And I could not be happier for him.

Like many road games this season, I turned it off at halftime. It was clear they were going to lose. Followed the box score every so often and saw the lead extend. I think the team makes the tournament by winning 3 home games. 

Archie will be back next season, but the team needs to drastically improve. He said he has 2 scholarships for next year left. We need a PG who is aggressive and confident. Then we need a wing scorer. I’m starting to lose faith in Phinisee at PG. 

Edit: Without a big improvement next season, I’d expect a new coach. 

4 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Can 't tell ya.....

Just kidding though. I own a service business, going on 20 years now. I normally don't work week -ends, but I had to the last couple of days. While I missed the game, looks like it pretty well went the way I thought it would......  Sad

Yeah if I could throw off that kind of money in a day I wouldn't be watching IU or anyone, just do it for 2 years and move to Mexico.  Amazing!

Our guard play on defense (ALL of our guards...as good as Al was on the offensive end, he was just as terrible on the defensive side of the ball as everyone else) was just plain bad. No one could keep their guy in front of them, particularly Rob. I thought this year Rob would be on par with the Winstons and Simpsons of the B10, but he's not. I guess the lack of pre-season practice really did set him back.

That said, Michigan's guards were particularly adroit at rubbing their defenders off on their big men when they went to the hoop. They also set a lot of questionable screens...I remember in the 2nd half Teske setting one at the top of the key, swinging his hip out to rub off Simpson's defender then rolling to the hole where we had no choice but to foul him. 

When Devonte hit his 3, I was thinking we'd at least make a game of it. But he missed a couple, and you could see the confidence ebb...not just for him but from the whole team...

And I was really disappointed with TJD's play today. Dan Bonner pointed out on an in bounds play how Trayce was "staring out at the crowd." Archie benched him right afterwards, and I'll bet it'll be pointed out to him in practice/film sessions this week. Wanna be like Luka Garza, kid? This is what it takes...

And finally, God bless De'Ron...I was happy he had a good game. It just makes me wonder what might have been without the injuries and a dedication to getting into real shape...

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And finally, God bless De'Ron...I was happy he had a good game. It just makes me wonder what might have been without the injuries and a dedication to getting into real shape...

I would like to point out that since arriving at IU.... De'Ron has worked on getting into playing shape.  Dropping 20 pounds from the time he arrived at IU. And improving his diet.  Some where there is a video of him learning what to shop for in a B-town grocery store.

IU's Davis feeling the benefits of getting his body right | Sports | heraldbulletin.com

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I don’t understand complaining about this? We had 2 fouls to give so we completely slowed them down from being able to inbound with a full head of steam and get off an easy shot. Smart strategy and it worked. 

If Franklin is mad about playing his role at the end of the half (which I don’t think he is), then maybe that’s part of the problem with IU basketball right now. 

No issue at all with the strategy, just the guy he used.  Franklin's a guy who has played at least 10 minutes in all but 4 games coming into today.  Lots of people would be disappointed with not getting any time in his position until a few seconds left just to go foul people.  Not only is he not getting minutes for one of the few games this season, but he's basically being told all he's good for this game is to get a couple fouls.  Just think there were other options he could have used like Anderson or a walk on.

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

No issue at all with the strategy, just the guy he used.  Franklin's a guy who has played at least 10 minutes in all but 4 games coming into today.  Lots of people would be disappointed with not getting any time in his position until a few seconds left just to go foul people.  Not only is he not getting minutes for one of the few games this season, but he's basically being told all he's good for this game is to get a couple fouls.  Just think there were other options he could have used like Anderson or a walk on.

I hear ya about a walk on. However, if I am a team man. I do whatever my coach asks of me.  And never look back. After all, I am getting a free scholarship for playing a game.

To me watching a lot of other teams play the successful teams seem to have a confidence about them which this team does not have.  A lot of the teams don't have anymore talent but they play with a confidence that we just don't have.  SD St. does not have any highly rated recruits but they are older and when they get the ball they seem ready and know what to do with the ball

15 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Crean recruited De'Ron. I was in the Overland gym the night Coach Crean was there.  De'Ron was arguably the best player in today's game against Michigan. Yet. YOU want him gone.  Well  sir.  Soon you will be getting your wish.

Deron was terrific today. But there were 3 other upperclassmen playing tons of minutes since Archie got here. I see playing time as investment, and if they had that much playing time in their D-1 career, there should be some decent returns. Yet they're playing like backup players at mid major schools. 

Now Deron's case is different. His career has been plagued by injuries and he didn't enjoy much playing time like other old timers in the program. I can only imagine what he'd be like if he had been healthy throughout his career. 

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

I hear ya about a walk on. However, if I am a team man. I do whatever my coach asks of me.  And never look back. After all, I am getting a free scholarship for playing a game.

Was it not In My Lifetime that Freshmen could not Play !

18 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Like many road games this season, I turned it off at halftime. It was clear they were going to lose. Followed the box score every so often and saw the lead extend. I think the team makes the tournament by winning 3 home games. 

Archie will be back next season, but the team needs to drastically improve. He said he has 2 scholarships for next year left. We need a PG who is aggressive and confident. Then we need a wing scorer. I’m starting to lose faith in Phinisee at PG. 

Edit: Without a big improvement next season, I’d expect a new coach. 

Same here.  Always turn it off at halftime.  If they don’t want to play then I’m getting the F out of here.

50 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

now i disagree with this.  that's a strategy to limit that possession.  a freshman or for that matter anyone should want to be in the game any time.  they should want to play whatever role is needed.  why did that hurt him?  it's not like he was going to foul out.  not that i don't question Archie, but nothing wrong with that move. 

Replied to BGleas about it too.  It might not mean anything, but Franklin has played over 10 minutes in all but 4 games coming into today, and he had his season low of only 2 today.  That was his first time getting in, and it sent the message that how many fouls he gets doesn't matter because he won't really play anyways.  Franklin might have been perfectly happy doing it, but it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for someone to be frustrated with that.  No issue at all with the strategy of fouling there, just the guy that was used.  Thought Anderson or a walk on could have done the same.  He did only get 2 minutes against Iowa, so maybe there's another issue that is going on there, just didn't get using Franklin for that role.

1 hour ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Archie recruited players Franklin and Anderson are not playing.  

One is a true freshman and the other one rarely plays. Problem with Green, Smith, and Durham is that this program has invested so much in them with Tons of playing time, but there hasn't been a meaningful return on investment. 

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

It was a while back but Freshman could not play. I wish Big George could have played ! And I see a lot of teams sub for fouling .

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

Replied to BGleas about it too.  It might not mean anything, but Franklin has played over 10 minutes in all but 4 games coming into today, and he had his season low of only 2 today.  That was his first time getting in, and it sent the message that how many fouls he gets doesn't matter because he won't really play anyways.  Franklin might have been perfectly happy doing it, but it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for someone to be frustrated with that.  No issue at all with the strategy of fouling there, just the guy that was used.  Thought Anderson or a walk on could have done the same.  He did only get 2 minutes against Iowa, so maybe there's another issue that is going on there, just didn't get using Franklin for that role.

Well after the Iowa game where he was really bad on two defensive plays he was lucky to get in at all.  I just don't see how anyone could be complaining about something so trivial as this.  It was a good strategy to foul when you have fouls to give.  Archie probably already knew he was not going to be playing Franklin big minutes so him fouling was not going to hurt anything.

Archived