Michigan Post Game

Just now, loviubb said:

It was a while back but Freshman could not play. I wish Big George could have played ! And I see a lot of teams sub for fouling .

Oh yes.  Old enough to recall when Freshman were only able to play Freshman ball. Going further back. Just think if Walt Bellamy would have been able to play 4 full seasons.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Oh yes.  Old enough to recall when Freshman were only able to play Freshman ball. Going further back. Just think if Walt Bellamy would have been able to play 4 full seasons.

Times are a Changing! Not always for the best. Love  LOVE my HOOSIERSS!!! I hope Arch can get them back but next year HE better! We have not played well on the road for so long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We need to at least Compete!. Have a great evening!

45 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Archie's biggest mistake. Not medical redshirting De'Ron. Just think what we would be with a fully healed De'Ron next year. And for the record. Like you. I love my Hoosiers. Always have. And always will. 

Honestly, if Davis would have medically red shirted he'd probably be a grad transfer next season.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Lost a road game. Not uncommon. Very important week. We get both and all will be fine this time next Sunday. Really proud of De'Ron Davis. Otherwise I don't have a whole lot comment on. Pretty disappointed in a few of the players who just didn't look engaged. Finish of the game is less than 5 minutes old and I'm onto the next. Maybe that might be a problem. 

Agree it’s a very important week and Agree it’s Frustrating players aren’t more engaged .....same old unfortunate story .....im literally fine with losing on the road but we aren’t just losing we are getting dismantled in play and effort level ....to compound the problem we got our best player exactly 3 shots ......we just got beat by 24 in a game we only had seven total turnovers 

5 minutes ago, HoosierSadaseci said:

Honestly, if Davis would have medically red shirted he'd probably be a grad transfer next season.

Honestly. Having spoken to De'Ron and his mom about that.  Would not happen.  De'Ron loves IU . And wants to get to the NCAAT as a Hoosier.

18 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Replied to BGleas about it too.  It might not mean anything, but Franklin has played over 10 minutes in all but 4 games coming into today, and he had his season low of only 2 today.  That was his first time getting in, and it sent the message that how many fouls he gets doesn't matter because he won't really play anyways.  Franklin might have been perfectly happy doing it, but it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for someone to be frustrated with that.  No issue at all with the strategy of fouling there, just the guy that was used.  Thought Anderson or a walk on could have done the same.  He did only get 2 minutes against Iowa, so maybe there's another issue that is going on there, just didn't get using Franklin for that role.

I’ll just reiterate again, I think your point about Franklin is exactly what is wrong with IU basketball. Under your scenario, the player is far too concerned with his role over the team winning. 

You don’t put a walk-on because you want a player you trust not to do something stupid like make an intentional foul or accidentally get baited into fouling a shooter. 

Just now, Indy1987 said:

I told my buddy at halftime we were in trouble if Deron is our leading scorer.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

Well. I have to got to admit you got that right. Still, for this De'Ron fan it was good to see.  I honestly don't know if he ever was the leading scorer in any game in his career at IU.

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I’ll just reiterate again, I think your point about Franklin is exactly what is wrong with IU basketball. Under your scenario, the player is far too concerned with his role over the team winning. 

You don’t put a walk-on because you want a player you trust not to do something stupid like make an intentional foul or accidentally get baited into fouling a shooter. 

Since you played at the college level I think you are the best to ask this question to.  Why is it so hard for teams to play on the road especially this year in the big ten.  I now the huge crowd being behind the home team helps and should make the home team play better but it should not effect the road team this bad.  A lot of the games this year the home team has beaten the road team badly. 

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Very,Very,Very disappointing effort once again on the road.  I was totally wrong thinking this team had maybe bought into what Archie was trying to teach them.  When you play no defense at all and have only two players so up(Davis,Al) you have no shot.  TJD, Smith and RP was total no shows today and effort was horrible.  Offense was not great but it was acceptable for the most part but they need to change how they play defense.  They could not keep their guards in front of them which led to easy layups or wide open 3's.  I thought if they could limit the role players for UM like Wagnor, Johns and Brooks we would have a good chance but they killed us.

And we only committed 7 turnovers and still lost by 24 ...what’s that tell you about our defense and offensive efficiency 

29 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Same here.  Always turn it off at halftime.  If they don’t want to play then I’m getting the F out of here.

Putino, Beard, Stevens aren’t coming to IU. So to be honest, at this point we need Archie to figure it out. He is getting next year regardless.  Davis and Green graduate. I’d expect a couple of transfers. Smith grad transfers and Damezi transfers to play. Get in with some Jucos and grad transfers and get the roster sorted. 

Great thread guys.  Love all the input. As I am waiting, hopefully for the restart of the Daytona 500.  Just checked the weather.  And it does not look hopeful.  Just want to say.... YOU guys and gals are the best.  To have this kind of conversation after a huge loss is amazing to me.

Edit. Just heard the Daytona 500 has been postponed to President's Day.  Sigh.

I have been watching IU bball since I was a kid.  My favorite two athletes were Calbert Chaney and Chris Sabo.  

This is the first time in my life I have stopped watching games halfway through.   It's happened 4 or 5 times this year.   I know we have no chance of winning,  and there is nothing fun about watching this team play.

If this group played with the same effort Crean's team of walkons played with,  this would be a top 10 team.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Since you played at the college level I think you are the best to ask this question to.  Why is it so hard for teams to play on the road especially this year in the big ten.  I now the huge crowd being behind the home team helps and should make the home team play better but it should not effect the road team this bad.  A lot of the games this year the home team has beaten the road team badly. 

I wish had a good answer for, other than it just is. There’s really nothing in particular I can say. It trickles down to almost all levels of basketball. In the D2 conference I played in, road wins were so hard to come by. For some reason, home teams tend to be more aggressive, they tend to stay more committed to what wins games (attacking the backet, getting to the foul line, moving more offensively, etc.). Where road teams, for whatever reason, tend to panick more once things go wrong. 

Youre out of your element, you’re out of your routine. I think in almost in any industry, feeling at home is easier. I’d bet a chef cooks a better meal in their home kitchen, as opposed to dropping them in a strange kitchen without their typical equipment. 

But yeah, it’s  hard to really pinpoint.  

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The lack of defense was hideous, obviously.  Michigan could have scored 90-100 if they didn’t step off the gas, but the poor defense also hurt us on offense.  We barely had any fast breaks.  You can get out and push it after good defensive plays, and we didn’t have much of that at all.  

Archie is supposed to put a premium on defense and this was pathetic.  Defense is supposed to travel and keep you in games where you don’t hit well on a particular night.  We were opposite of that.  

And we only committed SEVEN turnovers !!!! We still gave up that many points and that large a differential while taking care of the ball fairly well and not giving them transition points from turnovers ....that is a TON of half court generated offense and speaks volumes 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I wish had a good answer for, other than it just is. There’s really nothing in particular I can say. It trickles down to almost all levels of basketball. In the D2 conference I played in, road wins were so hard to come by. For some reason, home teams tend to be more aggressive, they tend to stay more committed to what wins games (attacking the backet, getting to the foul line, moving more offensively, etc.). Where road teams, for whatever reason, tend to panick more once things go wrong. 

Youre out of your element, you’re out of your routine. I think in almost in any industry, feeling at home is easier. I’d bet a chef cooks a better meal in their home kitchen, as opposed to dropping them in a strange kitchen without their typical equipment. 

But yeah, it’s  hard to really pinpoint.  

It just seems like it is more noticeable  this year over past years/  Sometimes it could be caused by how the refs call the game but can't blame our losses on the road this year to the refs.

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Great thread guys.  Love all the input. As I am waiting, hopefully for the restart of the Daytona 500.  Just checked the weather.  And it does not look hopeful.  Just want to say.... YOU guys and gals are the best.  To have this kind of conversation after a huge loss is amazing to me.

Edit. Just heard the Daytona 500 has been postponed to President's Day.  Sigh.

Love you too 

3 minutes ago, Andy06 said:

I have been watching IU bball since I was a kid.  My favorite two athletes were Calbert Chaney and Chris Sabo.  

This is the first time in my life I have stopped watching games halfway through.   It's happened 4 or 5 times this year.   I know we have no chance of winning,  and there is nothing fun about watching this team play.

If this group played with the same effort Crean's team of walkons played with,  this would be a top 10 team.

Number 17 in your programs ...number 1 in your hearts ...old goggles himself 

2 minutes ago, Andy06 said:

I watched Crean's first two years at IU.  You are right. Most of those guys were not B1G players. Yet they all played hard. And I could not wait to watch them. After loss after loss. A memory of IUBB that will always stay with me.

Just now, IU Scott said:

It just seems like it is more noticeable  this year over past years/  Sometimes it could be caused by how the refs call the game but can't blame our losses on the road this year to the refs.

I think it’s more noticeable this year because honestly college basketball is just bad this year. It really is. Why that matters? Because lesser talent struggles more on the road. If you’re average, you’ll probably play well at home and struggle on the road. That’s what average does, and there is a whole lot of average and below average in college basketball this year. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I think it’s more noticeable this year because honestly college basketball is just bad this year. It really is. Why that matters? Because lesser talent struggles more on the road. If you’re average, you’ll probably play well at home and struggle on the road. That’s what average does, and there is a whole lot of average and below average in college basketball this year. 

That is so true because the product on the court has been pretty bad this year.

Archived