IU vs Minnesota Pre-Game Thread

milehiiu

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well... at this point, I can't rationally expect a road win, sad to say. We'd probably drop the next 4 games and win a home game against Minnesota. Then, we may lose the last home game against Wisconsin. That makes us 17-14, and if we're lucky, we go 1-1 in BTT. That's the NIT. Hopefully we win 2 games in the NIT to achieve 20-win season. It's been quite a while we had that last time. 

Of course, I want to be pleasantly surprised and get to see IU names called in the selection Sunday.

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Wednesday, Feb. 19

9 p.m EST

Road game

BTN

Awesome. 9pm EST tip. 1130 finish on a Wednesday night. We've put ourselves in this position because of Arkansas and Maryland. Eventually someone is going to have to stand up and say enough is enough on the road. We've never played well up there so I doubt this is the week. 

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Awesome. 9pm EST tip. 1130 finish on a Wednesday night. We've put ourselves in this position because of Arkansas and Maryland. Eventually someone is going to have to stand up and say enough is enough on the road. We've never played well up there so I doubt this is the week. 

That sounds like an ideal situation for someone to emerge as the true leader of the pack. We still have 6 regular season games, and it's not over until it's over. I wish DeRon would be that guy. At the beginning of this season, my personal choice of the team captain was DeRon. I thought he had that 'big brother' persona as well as a little bit of 'edge' that's necessary for a leader. Things didn't go well for DeRon maybe due to lingering health and conditioning issues. With the stellar performance at Michigan game, I thought he created a momentum for himself. 

I think one of Archie's biggest mistakes in this season was to let the young players to pick their own leaders. In hindsight, they were not mature enough to pick the right leader, and oftentimes, kids' voting for their representatives/leaders can become a popularity contest. 

Put a body on Oturu...he doesn't like physical play...

Stay in front of a very inconsistent point guard in Marcus Carr...

Guard Kalschuer close on the 3 point line...

Beat them on the boards...

We're actually better offensively that the Gophers are (if you can believe that), but TJD has to show up 100%. Joey can't handle Oturu. I actually think De'Ron would be a better option. De'Ron could muscle him, and he doesn't like that...

But Rob HAS to keep Carr in front of him...Carr's not a great 3 pt shooters, but very streaky...DG lite...

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Put a body on Oturu...he doesn't like physical play...

Stay in front of a very inconsistent point guard in Marcus Carr...

Guard Kalschuer close on the 3 point line...

Beat them on the boards...

We're actually better offensively that the Gophers are (if you can believe that), but TJD has to show up 100%. Joey can't handle Oturu. I actually think De'Ron would be a better option. De'Ron could muscle him, and he doesn't like that...

But Rob HAS to keep Carr in front of him...Carr's not a great 3 pt shooters, but very streaky...DG lite...

And right there is the only real key to the game.

Watched the Iowa/Minny game on Sunday. Iowa played terrible (4-13 from 3, 57% from the line, gave up 12 offensive rebounds)....and won.

Minny looked tired. Carr, Oturu, and Kalschuer all play over 33 mins a game.....which is a TON in the physical B10. They have lost 4 of last 5 with 2 being at home.

The one win was a blow out at home vs Wisconsin. What's different about that game? Willis hit 5 3s and went for 21. Which took all the pressure off of the big 3.

Just get in front of Carr and run Kalschuer off the 3 point line (Smith). Rob/Green/Al will dictate how this game goes on the defensive end.

IMO, this is the ONLY chance for a road win. 

I actually think this is a good game to play small because Otturo can go to the perimeter as well so just put TJD on him.  Like many said they have 3 main players and after that not that much but there  always seems to be a guy come out of know where and kills us.  I still think we will win this road game. Go Hoosiers.

2 minutes ago, Bob said:

Seems like people or losing faith in this team!

Bob, I wish I could, but it's pretty difficult to stay positive watching Michigan game. Others may have seen the game differently, but to me, our players had absolutely no idea how to defend UM's ball & player movements. We gave them so many easy layups and wide open shots. We were like a low major cupcake against them. I could stay positive if we kept the game close for 35 minutes. 

I think this may be Little Ricky's last year at Minnesota if he doesn't make the tournament...

I think the Gophers fire him and make a play for Brian Dutcher of San Diego State...his old man, Jim, coached the last Minnesota B10 regular season champions (82) and he has Midwestern roots (Illinois grad assistant and Michigan associate head coach under Steve Fisher)...

I feel like this is going to be typical IU of the last 20ish years. I actually think IU wins this game and gets everyone excited for a few days about finishing the season strong. Then we lose the next 3 (including PSU at home). We'll then beat Minnesota at home and with the season/NCAA Tournament on the line against a very beatable Wisconsin team at home on senior day, IU will no-show and lose, finishing the regular season with 18 wins. 

We all know how this would then play out in the BTT. 

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I feel like this is going to be typical IU of the last 20ish years. I actually think IU wins this game and gets everyone excited for a few days about finishing the season strong. Then we lose the next 3 (including PSU at home). We'll then beat Minnesota at home and with the season/NCAA Tournament on the line against a very beatable Wisconsin team at home on senior day, IU will no-show and lose, finishing the regular season with 18 wins. 

Wow when did you become so cynical Gleas 😀

Imo, this is driven more by being jaded than anything else. We just played a very good game at home against Iowa and owned them. We then followed that with yet another awful showing on the road. Seems more likely to me we find a way to win at MInn, or lose a close game, and win out at home. The PU home game was an embarrassment, but not the norm this season. I think we win the home games -- PSU, Minn, Wisc. I am a lot less certain about the road games, but Minn is our best shot.

19 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This is well-deserved cynicism. Our senior guard who is also the player elected captain clearly is the key to our success, and it is obvious that he does not seem to possess the right mentality to be a leader.  When he is on, everyone seems to feed off of him. When he is off, well, we know what happens.  Archie knows this too and has decided, or had decided for him, that our fate is tied to Green.  Most on this site would agree with your prediction, and I think very few are truly excited when we win, nor crushed with the defeats.  We are resigned to the reality of our program. Best case scenario we are a top ten team in 3 years.  Getting to seem like we are always 2-3 years away from best case scenarios. Realistically, we are middle of the pack in the Big Ten, and possibly starting over with a new coach.  

3 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

This is well-deserved cynicism. Our senior guard who is also the player elected captain clearly is the key to our success, and it is obvious that he does not seem to possess the right mentality to be a leader.  When he is on, everyone seems to feed off of him. When he is off, well, we know what happens.  Archie knows this too and has decided, or had decided for him, that our fate is tied to Green.  Most on this site would agree with your prediction, and I think very few are truly excited when we win, nor crushed with the defeats.  We are resigned to the reality of our program. Best case scenario we are a top ten team in 3 years.  Getting to seem like we are always 2-3 years away from best case scenarios. Realistically, we are middle of the pack in the Big Ten, and possibly starting over with a new coach.  

I still get excited for every game and love it when we win

Obviously it’s no secret how noncompetitive we’ve been on the road versus tournament caliber teams in conference. 4 of the 6 games we’ve been losing by at least 20 points at some point in the 2nd half. The other two games: @OSU down by 19 and @Rutgers down by 17 in the 2nd halves. This team isn’t just bad on the road, they are an absolute train wreck. Every other team, including Nebraska and Northwestern, have been competitive in at least a few of the road games. Of course both of those teams were competitive against us on the road 🤦‍♂️. I can’t envision a scenario where we keep this or any other remaining road game competitive. When the going gets tough...well we all know how that plays out with this team.

59 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Hey you're expecting 1 more win than I am. Gotta say you're still staying positive. 

7 hours ago, rico said:

If our offense is going to rely on Joey Brunk getting 10 shots we are doomed...

See, I don't think Brunk played very well either, but are we saying we need to shoot a ton of 3s?  I don't like that gameplan for this team.  I'd like to get TJD more shots, but after that, I like getting the ball inside to Brunk more than shooting a bunch of 3s and missing them.

Archived