IU vs Minnesota Pre-Game Thread

milehiiu

18 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Remember as a kid racing to the sports page in the morning to see if we won. I might dust off this old move tomorrow night or I guess Thursday morning. I have zero desire to stay up to 1130 to watch heartache. People can call that whatever but I love IU Hoops so much it literally is painful to watch sometimes....if not all the time on the road. 

Careful speaking like that or Scott will lecture you on how to be a true fan

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, I probably worded that post a cynical way, that’s fair. But, I don’t think the thought on how IU will probably finish is actually cynical. This team can win at Minny. That’s a winnable road game. But, I just don’t buy any consistency magically developing for this team down the stretch and I think they’ll ultimately disappoint. That doesn’t necessarily mean I think they’ll miss the tournament, I just think we’ll end the season still very concerned about the state of the program. 

That's fair Gleas. CAM and the team have work to do, to address the problems we're all seeing particularly on the road. The MD home game was a real hit, we absolutely should've won that game and had it but blew it over 50 seconds. Now they need to come together -- and play together -- with max effort to win down the stretch.

36 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

THe difference is obviously those games were at home. I just think a change could spark us on the road or get the guys attention and make em ready to play... just a thought.

I don't think it's a bad thought at all. Absolutely need a spark (really a fire) on the road. And changing things up a bit can counter the scouting.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

That's fair Gleas. CAM and the team have work to do, to address the problems we're all seeing particularly on the road. The MD home game was a real hit, we absolutely should've won that game and had it but blew it over 50 seconds. Now they need to come together -- and play together -- with max effort to win down the stretch.

I guess at this point I have almost zero faith in that happening. Not much the last three years has shown that this staff and at least the veteran players are capable of that as a unit. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I guess at this point I have almost zero faith in that happening. Not much the last three years has shown that this staff and at least the veteran players are capable of that as a unit. 

But just last year they did compete down the stretch, winning multiple consecutive games, but then losing the last game. 

Edit - went back as I couldn't remember offhand who the team beat in that stretch -- it was Wisc, MSU, At OSU, and Rutgers.

Starters for the season

From Jan 8 to Feb 16(TJD, Smith, Brunk, Rob, Al). 

From Dec 10 to Jan 8 (Green, Al, Smith, TJD, and Brunk)

Before that, you have (Franklin, AL, Smith, TJD, and Brunk)

The one things though.  TJD, Brunk, and Smith have started every game this year.

Not sure if this says anything but here is what i could pull

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

But just last year they did compete down the stretch, winning multiple consecutive games, but then losing the last game. 

Edit - went back as I couldn't remember offhand who the team beat in that stretch -- it was Wisc, MSU, At OSU, and Rutgers.

Green went off most of those games (wish he was more of this Green and less of the I don't care, careless Green) and i think Justin Smith might have had an unlikely game where he hit a bunch of threes.

We so rely on one guy having the game of his life to keep up competitive.  That is disappointing to me.  Seems to be the same way this year.  But there is always the next game, the next year, and the next coach.  Until they shut down IU basketball, we will always have something to talk about (may be agree about sometimes)

12 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Green went off most of those games (wish he was more of this Green and less of the I don't care, careless Green) and i think Justin Smith might have had an unlikely game where he hit a bunch of threes.

We so rely on one guy having the game of his life to keep up competitive.  That is disappointing to me.  Seems to be the same way this year.  But there is always the next game, the next year, and the next coach.  Until they shut down IU basketball, we will always have something to talk about (may be agree about sometimes)

Justin hit a few in the MSU game in the first half. I remember it well because Izzo was bitching about it at the interview going into halftime. Can't say I blame him, though - I don't think Justin's done anything like that since.

38 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

That's kind of dismissive. They won 4 in a row down the stretch, that's the point.  I don't buy into that outlook. We do need someone to step up and score, it can be any guy or guys.

In any event, in the Wisc game it was Romeo who scored 22. Smith scored 24 against MSU. The @Illinois game was exceptionally balanced, 20, 17, 15, 11, and 10 from Juwan, Rob, Smith, Romeo and Green. Obviously not just one guy. The Rutgers game had Juwan and Romeo and 25 and 20 and Green with 16.

Now and then we agree. Here though, you're taking a stance that doesn't mesh with those last 4 games at all. It's just a negative outlook based on a statement that we so rely on one guy, that just wasn't the case. 

This is a huge game for Archie. Last year they responded after getting blown out at Minnesota and played much better at the end of the year. They must have the same type of response. The biggest disappointment is that no one has gotten better during the season except for Hunter and maybe De'Ron. Smith has played decent defense at times, but his offense has disappeared. It's make or break time for this team and this season. Not sure what other motivation this team needs. 

54 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Maybe they will play best going forward with their backs against the wall.  Only problem is they have now lost 5 of 6.  

Good thing is really it's a fairly weak schedule.  Minnesota, not that good.  Penn st, you rankem we spankem at home.  Lose at Purdue.  At Illinois is winnable without Ayo.   Wisconsin and Minnesota we can beat at home.  I don't have confidence but I also wouldn't be surprised if they win the next 2.  Hope rises and everyone gets excited for the Purdue game.  

37 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Maybe they will play best going forward with their backs against the wall.  Only problem is they have now lost 5 of 6.  

Good thing is really it's a fairly weak schedule.  Minnesota, not that good.  Penn st, you rankem we spankem at home.  Lose at Purdue.  At Illinois is winnable without Ayo.   Wisconsin and Minnesota we can beat at home.  I don't have confidence but I also wouldn't be surprised if they win the next 2.  Hope rises and everyone gets excited for the Purdue game.  

Yeah, backs are to the wall. I'm not trying to be a "sunshine pumper" here, it's clear the team dug itself into a hole, again, but we did have a strong showing against Iowa, and there's certainly opportunity here to get 3-4 W's. Hope they do.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yeah, backs are to the wall. I'm not trying to be a "sunshine pumper" here, it's clear the team dug itself into a hole, again, but we did have a strong showing against Iowa, and there's certainly opportunity here to get 3-4 W's. Hope they do.

I agree.  Things haven't gone well, obviously, but the team still has a number of games to get some quality wins.  It's premature to make a judgement on the season and Archie right now.  After the NU game, we came out and things clicked for a couple of games.  That could happen again.  We need to finish on an upswing and we can.  We are hardly playing the 1993 Indiana Hoosiers down the stretch.  Let's hope that Michigan game is a huge learning lesson for our guys.  For all we know, our script compared with UM's is flipped a couple of weeks from now.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

That's kind of dismissive. They won 4 in a row down the stretch, that's the point.  I don't buy into that outlook. We do need someone to step up and score, it can be any guy or guys.

In any event, in the Wisc game it was Romeo who scored 22. Smith scored 24 against MSU. The @Illinois game was exceptionally balanced, 20, 17, 15, 11, and 10 from Juwan, Rob, Smith, Romeo and Green. Obviously not just one guy. The Rutgers game had Juwan and Romeo and 25 and 20 and Green with 16.

Now and then we agree. Here though, you're taking a stance that doesn't mesh with those last 4 games at all. It's just a negative outlook based on a statement that we so rely on one guy, that just wasn't the case. 

We lost the MSU game without Smith, i will give you the Illinois and Wisconsin game, but the Rutgers game was abnormal.

What i am saying is this team over the last two years has been consistently average at best and if it wasn't for a couple abnormal performances, we lose to Rutgers and MSU.

Just now, Jackson Kellogs said:

I think this is a perfect opportunity however to change the lineup. I would start Rob, Devonte, Jerome, either Race or De'Ron at the 4, and Trayce. 

I would even go as far as put Smith on the 4 with TJD (Go athletic) with Hunter Green and Rob as the rest.  Bring DD and Brunk in if/when we need big guy minutes

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I would even go as far as put Smith on the 4 with TJD (Go athletic) with Hunter Green and Rob as the rest.  Bring DD and Brunk in if/when we need big guy minutes

I like that lineup too. I honestly would stick Justin in the corner and all he should do is set screens and back cut all game long and crash the boards. I hate having him on the wing, he's so bad with the ball and can't create his own shot. He turns it over way too much. 

Rob and TJD need to play a lot more assertively, IMO.  TJD needs to make himself available, demand the ball, and get after it.  Same thing with Rob, he needs to take control out there.  Let everybody else play off of them.

Both of these guys are way too talented not to bring it every night.  Rob has been invisible and he needs to take charge.  He's way too good to be a non-factor.  If these two bring it every night, we can be a tough out. 

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

That goes back to my cynical post from earlier though. They did just enough to suck you back in, but then ultimately left us disappointed at the end. That's my current expectation of IU basketball. 

19 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I would be so excited to see what that lineup could do for an extended period. 

Archived