IU vs Minnesota Pre-Game Thread

milehiiu

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'll be watching every game on the edge of my seat as I always do. But with that said, I have almost zero confidence in this group and they haven't really given us a reason to have confidence that they'll magically find some consistency. 

Here's the thing as far as I am concerned.  We've had guys put together good to great games.  Just not at the same time. My goodness, De'Ron goes perfect from the field and leads all scorers against Michigan.  Devonte has had spectacular scoring games this season. Justin too.  Even Joey has had some great games.  And of course, there is always, TJD.  What's that old song ?  Come together, and this team can get it done, as far as I am concerned.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Here's the thing as far as I am concerned.  We've had guys put together good to great games.  Just not at the same time. My goodness, De'Ron goes perfect from the field and leads all scorers against Michigan.  Devonte has had spectacular scoring games this season. Justin too.  Even Joey has had some great games.  And of course, there is always, TJD.  What's that old song ?  Come together, and this team can get it done, as far as I am concerned.

Sure they can, like it's a thing that is potentially possible in reality. But, there has been very little evidence that this group (staff and players together) can actually do it. And, I don't mean just winning at Minnesota, this group can do that as is. 

I'm referring to coming together to win say 4 of the last 6, go into March with some momentum and maybe win a couple games in the BTT and a game in the NCAA tournament so there's some momentum heading into the offseason. I have very little faith in that being possible and there is no evidence that this group is capable of that. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Don't know about you guys. But I look at EVERY game, both at home and on the road as an opportunity.  Some seem to have given up on the season. But NOT ME !

Always an opportunity for sure. At the same token I won't dismiss others getting antsy either. I said in October in our preseason thread how very, very important it is no matter what that Archie/IU make the tourney. Don't have to win just make it because it keeps the idea of momentum in a program going for 1 more recruiting cycle and that 21 class. If we don't make tourney? Well....I guess that's a different form of opportunity for the program.

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Mile - I had to go check the stats before I posted this, but the comment about "even Joey" has me a little perplexed.  I seem to be in the large minority at this point when it comes to Brunk.  While I do believe there are games when he struggles with bad match-ups, has he been bad overall?  I don't know what people expected, but to me he is a guy who always competes hard no matter what... 2nd on the team in FG %.  2nd on the team in rebounding...gives scoring punch at times... I don't know, I'm just a little surprised everyone s so down on him.  I don't see him as one of our bigger problems.  

3 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Mile - I had to go check the stats before I posted this, but the comment about "even Joey" has me a little perplexed.  I seem to be in the large minority at this point when it comes to Brunk.  While I do believe there are games when he struggles with bad match-ups, has he been bad overall?  I don't know what people expected, but to me he is a guy who always competes hard no matter what... 2nd on the team in FG %.  2nd on the team in rebounding...gives scoring punch at times... I don't know, I'm just a little surprised everyone s so down on him.  I don't see him as one of our bigger problems.  

I think this actually goes back to the conversation about talent in one of the other threads. I think Brunk has done a pretty good job, he's been solid for sure, and at times really good. The issue is that on a good team at this level Brunk is your backup 5. On a Big Ten title team he's your Max Beilfeldt. 

The overarching problem on this team is that it relies on Green to be the best offensively player, Durham to be the starting 2, Brunk to be the starting 5, etc., etc. They're all useful, solid-to-good role players, they are not featured players on a really, really good high-major basketball team. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think this actually goes back to the conversation about talent in one of the other threads. I think Brunk has done a pretty good job, he's been solid for sure, and at times really good. The issue is that on a good team at this level Brunk is your backup 5. On a Big Ten title team he's your Max Beilfeldt. 

The overarching problem on this team is that it relies on Green to be the best offensively player, Durham to be the starting 2, Brunk to be the starting 5, etc., etc. They're all useful, solid-to-good role players, they are not featured players on a really, really good high-major basketball team. 

yeah.  i don't disagree with that assessment.  i just like him because i feel like he plays hard and that he's tough and i'd rather see him getting inside shots than us missing a lot of 3s.  he's been better than i expected.  i guess it is bothering a lot of people that he got a lot of touches and shots the last couple games, but i'm not sure what else we want.  

10 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Stats don't always tell the entire story.  The time, a few games back when he gave him self up going to the floor after a loose ball sticks in my mind.  That's what sticks in my mind.

4 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

yeah.  i don't disagree with that assessment.  i just like him because i feel like he plays hard and that he's tough and i'd rather see him getting inside shots than us missing a lot of 3s.  he's been better than i expected.  i guess it is bothering a lot of people that he got a lot of touches and shots the last couple games, but i'm not sure what else we want.  

Agree. He's been really solid, and at times even really good. I'll take him on my team any day, but especially in the right role. 

33 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I like Brunk overall this season, and he generally brings high effort, but he's been pretty bad lately. He has 7 rebounds in the last 4 games, and there were a few problems in the UM game: (1) he's pounding the ball down low and getting nowhere with it, while the other guys are standing around, and (2) he's not taking the ball strong to the bucket to try and draw fouls (or he's just not getting the calls). I don't really know why we fed him so much and didn't get TJD involved at all, too, but that's one for the coaching staff to answer. 

Today on JMV I listened to an interview with RabJohn's and many fans will probably not liked what he had to say.  First JMV asked him if letting a coach go after  3years better than waiting a couple of more years and then letting the coach go.  RabJohns said his point of view is that any coach out there should get  years before you make a judgement on him unless there is a scandal or off court things happen.  He also gave the same examples on here where patience paid off like with Belein and Bennett and wouldn't want to make a rash judgement

The second part you won't like either because he said that University has a type of team and players they want at IU. They want to have 3 and  year players and not be a one ad done factory and really don't want to have a lot of grad transfers..  They want players who will be good citizens and students you go to class.  They want players who are gritty and hardnose and will play hard and with heart.  He said that the University knows that getting players in like that and for them to get old will take time.  JMV asked if he thinks Archie will get the 5 years and he thought he would.  He said with glass leaving there is no way he will make a decision like that before the new AD gets here.  Also thought the new AD would not come in right away and make a huge move like this without due process.

As for the AD position he thought there are 3 candidates that will definitely will be brought in for an interview( Dolson, Reynolds, Kraft).  He said there might be a few more brought in but would not name any names.  He said all 3 have backing from different segments of the University and former players.  He has heard good things about all of these guys and some think Dolson really knows how to lead the athletic department and would be a great hire.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

"Do not let the past remind us of who we are not now."......... Crosby, Stills and Nash.

"Someday I will wish upon a star ,wake up where the clouds are far behind me. Where troubles melt like lemon drops..... that's where you'll find me. "

... If I only had a brain. 😁

No confidence this team will win on the road. Hope they prove me wrong. DVR is my friend. I follow here,Twitter, and online for scores and if it’s competitive I’ll turn it on. Otherwise I delete if they are getting blown out. I just want to see heart and effort which this team severely lacks. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Today on JMV I listened to an interview with RabJohn's and many fans will probably not liked what he had to say.  First JMV asked him if letting a coach go after  3years better than waiting a couple of more years and then letting the coach go.  RabJohns said his point of view is that any coach out there should get  years before you make a judgement on him unless there is a scandal or off court things happen.  He also gave the same examples on here where patience paid off like with Belein and Bennett and wouldn't want to make a rash judgement

The second part you won't like either because he said that University has a type of team and players they want at IU. They want to have 3 and  year players and not be a one ad done factory and really don't want to have a lot of grad transfers..  They want players who will be good citizens and students you go to class.  They want players who are gritty and hardnose and will play hard and with heart.  He said that the University knows that getting players in like that and for them to get old will take time.  JMV asked if he thinks Archie will get the 5 years and he thought he would.  He said with glass leaving there is no way he will make a decision like that before the new AD gets here.  Also thought the new AD would not come in right away and make a huge move like this without due process.

As for the AD position he thought there are 3 candidates that will definitely will be brought in for an interview( Dolson, Reynolds, Kraft).  He said there might be a few more brought in but would not name any names.  He said all 3 have backing from different segments of the University and former players.  He has heard good things about all of these guys and some think Dolson really knows how to lead the athletic department and would be a great hire.

Why is “The University” so involved in who Archie is recruiting? That’s a huge problem. You hire a coach and pay him $3M a year, then you let him recruit who he wants. If Archie wanted 5 grad transfers, it should be up to Archie. 

2 hours ago, Shapopojoe said:

Bracket showing Us hanging in there at 11 seeD as of today....lose against minny, I can’t see coming back

ESPN bracketology has us out. I don’t see a way in unless we win all three remaining home games and then take one in the Big10 tourney bc we WON’T win a game on the road. Tomorrow is our best chance, but I just don’t see anything better than a 15 point loss.

32 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Why is “The University” so involved in who Archie is recruiting? That’s a huge problem. You hire a coach and pay him $3M a year, then you let him recruit who he wants. If Archie wanted 5 grad transfers, it should be up to Archie. 

They don’t want an elite program ever again.  I’ve been telling you guys for years.  That should be obvious by now.  No one bigger than the program ever again.  Any coach that wins at a high level will obviously be bigger than the program.

Theres a reason why we haven’t gone out and thrown $8M a year at some of the big dogs and it’s not because we can’t afford it or that they wouldn’t accept it.  We got Crean and Archie for a reason.

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

They don’t want an elite program ever again.  I’ve been telling you guys for years.  That should be obvious by now.

I’m with you. We can criticize Archie and the players all we want, and they all certainly deserve some, or even a lot, but the last 20 years is on the admin, not any one coach or group of players. 

13 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

They don’t want an elite program ever again.  I’ve been telling you guys for years.  That should be obvious by now.  No one bigger than the program ever again.  Any coach that wins at a high level will obviously be bigger than the program.

Theres a reason why we haven’t gone out and thrown $8M a year at some of the big dogs and it’s not because we can’t afford it or that they wouldn’t accept it.  We got Crean and Archie for a reason.

Some of us have been called stupid for suggestions like this......mediocre is all we will ever be under current regime of President and AD.  Thankfully they are gone soon and hopefully it changes quickly

6 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I'm not exactly off the train, that's why I dvr the games. If they win, I watch. If they lose like at home against Peeuuu or the debacle against the wolverines? 

Sorry, I don't watch. At my age, the less stress the better......

I've done this since early in the Crean years.  I refuse to watch 💩 y basketball.  I didn't even watch the Northwestern win this year.  Life is too short to watch something that just pisses me off.  I'd rather do something more productive, frankly.

14 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Shane, granted we've only won one road game. However, we are 13-3 at home. And 2-0 on neutral floors, with the BTT coming up. Those are the results, my friend. Don't give up now.

I never give up but I have really lowered my expectations.  I expect us to lose on the road if we do lose then no big deal.  Other than the lack of effort issues.  If we win I am over joyed. I no longer arrange my schedule around IU basketball like I have the past 40 years or so. At this point sleep is more valuable than watching heartless basketball we as fans cannot want it more than the team and for whatever reason that's the case. We have a few guys that play hard. That's all I ask. 

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

At this point sleep is more valuable than watching heartless basketball we as fans cannot want it more than the team and for whatever reason that's the case.

What I wouldn't give to have 2-3 "Zac McRoberts" on the team right now.

Archived