IU vs Minnesota Pre-Game Thread

milehiiu

14 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I'm not exactly off the train, that's why I dvr the games. If they win, I watch. If they lose like at home against Peeuuu or the debacle against the wolverines? 

Sorry, I don't watch. At my age, the less stress the better......

No one should be on the train at this point.  We’ve seen this movie before and it doesn’t end well.

C2786206-B8E5-4DFB-BFDE-A00329B9118A.gif

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, BGleas said:

Why is “The University” so involved in who Archie is recruiting? That’s a huge problem. You hire a coach and pay him $3M a year, then you let him recruit who he wants. If Archie wanted 5 grad transfers, it should be up to Archie. 

See this doesn't make complete sense. It was Archie that said get old stay old. He's never talked about being a one-and-done factory.  Archie did recruit a bunch of guards last year and whiffed on all of them.  I really think we've fallen prey to a nice little PR stunt where all the media guys get out there and people start spreading rumors about how all these different people are to blame to shield our young expensive coach.  One is currently too expensive for a buyout.

Fred glass was the one that said competing for championships was the expectation.  The bar that I've seen lowered is from many on this site that are preaching at everybody about their fandom.  

This is how it all makes me feel :panic: spin.  Media spin.  Leaks to "insiders" spin.  Remember the timing every time this info has come out.  Just so happens to be in the middle of losing streaks.  Archie said he's looking at transfers, grad transfers, even overseas.  :panic:  Off course we all want tough hard nosed smart players that stay 3-4 years.  Who doesn't besides K and Cal?  

And yes Fisch works for Learfield or whoever but his bread us buttered by IU, same as Rabbie.  Let's not be so gullible.   

Can someone explain our Apr situation?   I've read 3 articles that came out about our low score after Crean.  Then we have the stories that CAMs hands were tied because of score.  I've also read that so long a transfers GPA is 2.6 or higher it doesn't negatively affect the school/score.  

https://www.insidethehall.com/2018/05/23/iu-basketball-sees-multi-year-apr-score-fall-for-third-straight-year/

https://informedathlete.com/how-the-academic-progress-rate-apr-can-affect-an-athletes-ncaa-transfer/

Screenshot_20200219-082527.jpg

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I never give up but I have really lowered my expectations.  I expect us to lose on the road if we do lose then no big deal.  Other than the lack of effort issues.  If we win I am over joyed. I no longer arrange my schedule around IU basketball like I have the past 40 years or so. At this point sleep is more valuable than watching heartless basketball we as fans cannot want it more than the team and for whatever reason that's the case. We have a few guys that play hard. That's all I ask. 

Same here......For the first time ever, the day of an IU basketball game, I walk into my high school classroom this morning and I am not wearing IU gear. I'm sitting at my desk staring at the giant IU team poster along with numerous IU decorations that adorn my room. I'm forever an IU fan through the highs and lows....I'm always an optimist, that's my nature.

I'm just exhausted..........

5 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Same here......For the first time ever, the day of an IU basketball game, I walk into my high school classroom this morning and I am not wearing IU gear. I'm sitting at my desk staring at the giant IU team poster along with numerous IU decorations that adorn my room. I'm forever an IU fan through the highs and lows....I'm always an optimist, that's my nature.

I'm just exhausted..........

I am wearing my IU gear today

Current IU student, I feel like we should win this game but I have a bad feeling we will not, I fear we are in for a repeat of last year and we end up in the NIT. Really hope I am wrong, but feeling on campus right now is a lot of passive apathy because so many kids have been here and never seen us in the tourney

20 minutes ago, Hoosier3201 said:

Current IU student, I feel like we should win this game but I have a bad feeling we will not, I fear we are in for a repeat of last year and we end up in the NIT. Really hope I am wrong, but feeling on campus right now is a lot of passive apathy because so many kids have been here and never seen us in the tourney

We certainly could use more  "on campus" feelings and thoughts. Such as you have provided.Thanks for sharing.

Just now, Cutter said:

I hope you are all right! Our record at Minnesota since the 91-92 season is 7-18. That includes some pretty good teams. I don’t think this team is one of those!

Well last year we were not playing well at all and went and won at MSU and this Minnesota team is not even close to that MSU team.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Well last year we were not playing well at all and went and won at MSU and this Minnesota team is not even close to that MSU team.

Your opinion and I respect that but I think they run us out of the gym tonight! The team is just not very good the way I see it jmho

Others have expressed the same sentiment but it has gotten to the point where I am satisfied if the team just “tries hard” and acts like they care. Kind of sad/pathetic but that’s where I am. Don’t recall feeling that way with any IU team until each of the past 2 years.

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I've come a long way don't let me down 

Good  see some positivity and my thinking is that even if IU loses the sun will come out tomorrow.  I still would rather watch bad basketball than no college basketball at all.  I don't watch these reality TV shows which seems like the only thing on so before we know it the season will be over. 

I understand why some are so upset or disappointed because I am right there with you.  I guess I have tried to put things into perspective when it comes to IU basketball and sports in general.  I get angry right there with you during games and even a little while after the game but I try to get over it quickly and move on.  What I do is ask myself this, if on April 4th or whatever the date of the championship game is and if we win the championship is that going to change my life.  I will say on May 1st when everything is died down how is winning the championship changing my life on that day over if we did not even make the tournament.  I get winning the championship will bring great joy to everyone for that time but after a few weeks what do we have.  Is it that we can gloat and have something to brag about to our friends who are not IU fans.  We have great memories to think of during the long summer months without basketball.

Sorry for the rambling but just sharing how I have changed and tried to put sports into perspective.  Maybe it is just a defensive mechanism for me to deal with my disappointment of IU basketball but for me looking at these this way has made me a happier person.

34 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I understand why some are so upset or disappointed because I am right there with you.  I guess I have tried to put things into perspective when it comes to IU basketball and sports in general.  I get angry right there with you during games and even a little while after the game but I try to get over it quickly and move on.  What I do is ask myself this, if on April 4th or whatever the date of the championship game is and if we win the championship is that going to change my life.  I will say on May 1st when everything is died down how is winning the championship changing my life on that day over if we did not even make the tournament.  I get winning the championship will bring great joy to everyone for that time but after a few weeks what do we have.  Is it that we can gloat and have something to brag about to our friends who are not IU fans.  We have great memories to think of during the long summer months without basketball.

Sorry for the rambling but just sharing how I have changed and tried to put sports into perspective.  Maybe it is just a defensive mechanism for me to deal with my disappointment of IU basketball but for me looking at these this way has made me a happier person.

For me, I don't really get emotional about it or let it affect my daily life.  It provides a temporary distraction from normal daily routine and something to think about on a slow day at work. What IU basketball really means to me is a connection to being a kid and all the great memories I shared with my dad. 

Archived