IU vs Minnesota Pre-Game Thread

milehiiu

35 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Here’s a preview of tonight’s game.

In response.  Minnesota has won just four B1G championships since 1919.  And has NEVER won a NCAAT championship game.... much less appeared in final game. IU had beaten Minnesota in Assembly Hall prior to that game.  Minnesota had a good record that year. Unbecoming of them. They did make the NCAAT, but fell out early, while IU made it to the sweet sixteen that year.

Years later, Minnesota had their final four appearance stripped from them. And if memory serves was placed on four year probation, as their coach Clem Haskins,  in that game you posted, was forced to leave the program over academic fraud, which he claimed not to know anything about.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I am ambivalent at the moment. Maybe I will be optimistic later. Haven't decided yet. 

Cant stand late starts to games. That I know for sure. 

It's an 8pm start for me. Much prefer that to a 6pm start. Maybe it will keep the postgame comments down if we lose?

1 minute ago, ChristophBart said:

Considering Archie never made the players hang out with the former players in cook Hall after the game when Coach Knight came back, I'd say he's not overly concerned about his players having relationships with the past players.

You do realize that RMK spoke to the team in the locker room before the game

Just now, ChristophBart said:

Considering Archie never made the players hang out with the former players in cook Hall after the game when Coach Knight came back, I'd say he's not overly concerned about his players having relationships with the past players.

You do know that Coach Miller had Coach Knight in the locker room, prior to the PU game, don't you ? And there were former players in there as well.

Until IU can show some mental toughness on the road, I don't expect a win in the Barn, with that uber-funky raised floor.  The sad thing is, I can't think of a game this year that they don't have the ability to win.  It's all about mental toughness and effort and this team has shown very little of either away from Assembly Hall.  That's 100% on IU's juniors and seniors...time be grow and and be men, boys.

Minnesota 81

IU 57

21 minutes ago, BEKA said:

Anyone have the energy to look up a stat? W-L, IU @ The Barn with a 9 pm EST start time between 1999-2019? Kinda specific, but I have the flu and can barely type a search term into Google without coughing a lung up. 

Since 1949 the two have played 120 times. IU leads 69 -51. Could not find stats from 1999.

Edit to add .... get well soon.  Chicken soup for you.

3 minutes ago, BEKA said:

Anyone have the energy to look up a stat? W-L, IU @ The Barn with a 9 pm EST start time between 1999-2019? Kinda specific, but I have the flu and can barely type a search term into Google without coughing a lung up. 

Don't have the effort to find the start time for each, but didn't realize how bad we've been at Minnesota. 5-13 there since the 98/99 season but 2-2 there the last 4 years is a little better. 2-1 against them home or away with Archie is promising

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/play-index/matchup_finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=1950&year_max=2020&school_id=indiana&opp_id=minnesota&comp_school=le&rank_school=ANY&comp_opp=le&rank_opp=ANY&game_type=A&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&is_overtime=&order_by=date_game

4 minutes ago, PritchardPutBack said:

Don't have the effort to find the start time for each, but didn't realize how bad we've been at Minnesota. 5-13 there since the 98/99 season but 2-2 there the last 4 years is a little better. 2-1 against them home or away with Archie is promising

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/play-index/matchup_finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=1950&year_max=2020&school_id=indiana&opp_id=minnesota&comp_school=le&rank_school=ANY&comp_opp=le&rank_opp=ANY&game_type=A&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&is_overtime=&order_by=date_game

Thanks for this. I'm just (anecdotally) using the 9 pm start time because when I REALLY started watching every IU game back in the 80s-early 90s, it just seemed like late games at The Barn are a curse, no matter who the coach, players, or whatever. I just hate that freakin court so much. It's dark, dumb, the floor is that creepy off-white. I hate Minny. 

1 minute ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

With possibilities of player injuries on that funky floor, I'm really surprised the B1G hasn't told the Gophers to lower that floor.

I hate it!!!

Exactly. Let's let our hate keep us warm enough tonight to bury Ricky Jr. tonight. God bless. 

5 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

With possibilities of player injuries on that funky floor, I'm really surprised the B1G hasn't told the Gophers to lower that floor.

I hate it!!!

The floor was refurbished in 2018

The Barn Gets a New Floor and it’s Absolute Fire - MinnesotaSportsFan.com

And IU has had players fall off of the floor

This Indiana player falling off Minnesota’s raised floor shows it’s pointlessly dangerous 

Archived