IU vs Minnesota Pre-Game Thread

milehiiu

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I understand why some are so upset or disappointed because I am right there with you.  I guess I have tried to put things into perspective when it comes to IU basketball and sports in general.  I get angry right there with you during games and even a little while after the game but I try to get over it quickly and move on.  What I do is ask myself this, if on April 4th or whatever the date of the championship game is and if we win the championship is that going to change my life.  I will say on May 1st when everything is died down how is winning the championship changing my life on that day over if we did not even make the tournament.  I get winning the championship will bring great joy to everyone for that time but after a few weeks what do we have.  Is it that we can gloat and have something to brag about to our friends who are not IU fans.  We have great memories to think of during the long summer months without basketball.

Sorry for the rambling but just sharing how I have changed and tried to put sports into perspective.  Maybe it is just a defensive mechanism for me to deal with my disappointment of IU basketball but for me looking at these this way has made me a happier person.

I love the optimism you bring to this board, especially when times are tough and so many people are down.  I love your enthusiasm and passion for Indiana basketball.  And your knowledge of our history and the game itself is second to none here.

What i do not like are your posts that seem to give off a 'holier than though' vibe.  Some people come here to share their frustrations regarding the team and their feelings of loss of enjoyment and excitement for the team.  And it is not fair to them when you reply that you still wear your Indiana gear on gameday when they do not anymore.  Or when you contradict someone who shares that they will not be watching a game due to a late start or even that they will only dvr games and watch them later if we play good.  That is how they personally process and deal with the program and there is no need to let them know that you will be watching every game no matter what, and will always be a fan no matter what.  Some people just need to rant and not be judged on their level of fandom for doing so.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought I might save everyone some keystrokes for the actual game thread by typing some common sentiments that you can copy and paste depending on how we are playing.

Playing Poorly

• Man, I can't believe how bad we suck on the road.
  • Well, looks like we got 'Bad Devonte' tonight
  • If Archie can't find a shooter for next year, we're going to miss the tournament again.
  • John Beilein is available.  We need to act now!  Archie can't even beat 'Little Ricky'!
  • I'm done.  There is no reason to watch and I gotta get up and go to work tomorrow.  

Playing Well

• Where the hell has this road team been all year?
  • Yes!!! We got 'Good Devonte' tonight.
  • It's amazing how good you look when you shoot well.
  • If we can just hang on, I think we're going dancing.
  • Let's hope this performance shuts down all of the Belein talk.

7 minutes ago, Maud'Dib said:

I love the optimism you bring to this board, especially when times are tough and so many people are down.  I love your enthusiasm and passion for Indiana basketball.  And your knowledge of our history and the game itself is second to none here.

What i do not like are your posts that seem to give off a 'holier than though' vibe.  Some people come here to share their frustrations regarding the team and their feelings of loss of enjoyment and excitement for the team.  And it is not fair to them when you reply that you still wear your Indiana gear on gameday when they do not anymore.  Or when you contradict someone who shares that they will not be watching a game due to a late start or even that they will only dvr games and watch them later if we play good.  That is how they personally process and deal with the program and there is no need to let them know that you will be watching every game no matter what, and will always be a fan no matter what.  Some people just need to rant and not be judged on their level of fandom for doing so.

I do agree with you on some of that, but that’s who Scott is.  I will share a story on Scott and hope he doesn’t mind.  When I was going through some tough times and I was posting stupid stuff on the board (even more than normal) he sent me a PM. He offered to help any way he could after I told him of my issues.  He did, this was 3 years ago or so and the man still sends me a PM to check and make sure things are still going well with my wife and kids.  I don’t always agree with him (and that’s fine, makes the world a better place IMO) but that doesn’t mean I don’t respect him and consider him a friend even though I’ve never personally met him.  He’s a spiritual guy and one I hope to have the same strong belief as him someday.  He’s a true sunshine pumper, and personally we need some of that.  I’m more of glass half empty guy and that’s what makes this board great.  Perfect blend of people, yeah we get into it at times but we always come back.  IUScott is a great man in my book and I’ll never forget what he did and continues to do for me.  

10 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

Same here......For the first time ever, the day of an IU basketball game, I walk into my high school classroom this morning and I am not wearing IU gear. I'm sitting at my desk staring at the giant IU team poster along with numerous IU decorations that adorn my room. I'm forever an IU fan through the highs and lows....I'm always an optimist, that's my nature.

I'm just exhausted..........

.....sitting at home after an exhausting, yet rewarding day with high school students. I finally put my Hoosier Nation shirt on and my sleepy, 1 year old Dachshund wears his IU shirt proudly. His name is Archie....

5A589E26-156C-41C9-AD45-E2D1F32FF7A2.jpeg

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

I don't predict outcomes. However, Minnesota has a lack of depth. And IU goes to the line more that any other B1G team.  Those two factors could play into the outcome of the game.

Putting Oturu on the bench with foul trouble would be nice. Hopefully the plan is to get TJD going inside early and often. Add in some Brunk and Davis and we should be able to get the advantage in paint points

13 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

.....sitting at home after an exhausting, yet rewarding day with high school students. I finally put my Hoosier Nation shirt on and my sleepy, 1 year old Dachshund wears his IU shirt proudly. His name is Archie....

5A589E26-156C-41C9-AD45-E2D1F32FF7A2.jpeg

Thanks for sharing a pic of Archie with us.  I presume Archie was named after our coach. Dachshund's are cool. Along with our German Shepard. We have a "Doxie". A Dachshund/Beagle mix.  And she is very sweet.

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks for sharing a pic of Archie with us.  I presume Archie was named after our coach. Dachshund's are cool. Along with our German Shepard. We have a "Doxie". A Dachshund/Beagle mix.  And she is very sweet.

i have been by no less than 3 dachshund's.  And have played with 3 that haven't.  so 50% of them are bastards lol

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

i have been by no less than 3 dachshund's.  And have played with 3 that haven't.  so 50% of them are bastards lol

Interesting. In fact, when I was a teenager, I felt much the same as you. However, over the years, I came to realize that is was me, and not the dogs in the way they reacted to me.

Just now, milehiiu said:

You are correct sir! Archie is named after our coach. We rescued him as a puppy in the county where I live in southern Indiana.  Actually we changed his name to Archie when we got him. The pet rescue actually named the entire litter after past IU players. His original name was “Romeo”...But felt he looked and acted more like Archie...

True story here....before we could officially adopt him, the Animal Rescue contacted the Langford family in New Albany (just an hour south of us) and gave them first dibs to adopt him before they would let anyone else. The Langfords were very flattered for the thinking of them, but thankfully declined. He has been such a blessing to our family.

22 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

You are correct sir! Archie is named after our coach. We rescued him as a puppy in the county where I live in southern Indiana.  Actually we changed his name to Archie when we got him. The pet rescue actually named the entire litter after past IU players. His original name was “Romeo”...But felt he looked and acted more like Archie...

True story here....before we could officially adopt him, the Animal Rescue contacted the Langford family in New Albany (just an hour south of us) and gave them first dibs to adopt him before they would let anyone else. The Langfords were very flattered for the thinking of them, but thankfully declined. He has been such a blessing to our family.

Those with a long memory will remember that I had 3 dachshunds. I used one to give predictions for games, recruits,etc. He died last year at the ripe old age of 17. They are great dogs.

1 hour ago, Maud'Dib said:

Love the first paragraph...don't think much of the second one.

As Scott would say, you are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine.

Scott is about passion in what his beliefs are.  No more, no less.  He is roughly my age and although I do "spar" with him on occasion, the dude is the embodiment of what a true IU fan is.  Passion.  Love of his Hoosiers.  Love of the sport.

Signed,

Rico, IU fan since 1973

2 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

Hate to say it but my optimism meter is low. I say we lose by 15. I hope I'm wrong.

WTF?  You too?  LOL

Well, I seen Minny get taken to school by Sparty at home.  So going by that metric we should win easily.  Did I mention I ain't sold on metrics?

18 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

Those with a long memory will remember that I had 3 dachshunds. I used one to give predictions for games, recruits,etc. He died last year at the ripe old age of 17. They are great dogs.

We currently have two long haired dachshunds and they are such goofs.

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Until IU can show some mental toughness on the road, I don't expect a win in the Barn, with that uber-funky raised floor.  The sad thing is, I can't think of a game this year that they don't have the ability to win.  It's all about mental toughness and effort and this team has shown very little of either away from Assembly Hall.  That's 100% on IU's juniors and seniors...time be grow and and be men, boys.

Minnesota 81

IU 57

Minnesota 74 IU 61

Ok, we need optimism, so hear it goes. Minny stinks, their coach stinks, and this is the reason their arena is called "The Barn". We are about to turn "The Barn" into a slaughterhouse. Lil' Ricky will be squealing like a pig when our boys put up 100 points on them, unofficially bringing an end to their season and Lil' Ricky's uninspiring tenure as their head basketball coach. They are a bunch of dum-dums. 

Archived