OT- bluebird

As someone that went to IU and still lives in Btown the video saloon is a completely different place.  When I was undergrad we would go there to not hit the college bar scene and relax.  Seems when I have gone there over the last few years at the request of some younger friends or children of neighbors it seems to be a haven for millennials.  Definitely wasn’t the Vid I remember.

39 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

As someone that went to IU and still lives in Btown the video saloon is a completely different place.  When I was undergrad we would go there to not hit the college bar scene and relax.  Seems when I have gone there over the last few years at the request of some younger friends or children of neighbors it seems to be a haven for millennials.  Definitely wasn’t the Vid I remember.

So you’re saying The Vid is worse than you remember because it used to be full of boomer/Gen X undergrads... and now it’s full of millennial undergrads?  Lol.  (Btw, undergrads are Gen Z now.  I’m a washed up millennial that used to hang out at The Vid five years ago.)

3 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

So you’re saying The Vid is worse than you remember because it used to be full of boomer/Gen X undergrads... and now it’s full of millennial undergrads?  Lol.  (Btw, undergrads are Gen Z now.  I’m a washed up millennial that used to hang out at The Vid five years ago.)

I don’t think in the late 90’s the majority of the gen X went to the Vid, can’t say that’s the same now for gen Z.  We went there because it wasn’t frequented by gen X and we didn’t want to deal with Kilroys but also didn’t want to go somewhere like the office lounge.  It skewed older back then but sure doesn’t feel that way now.

Edited by iuthruandthru
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

I don’t think in the late 90’s the majority of the gen X went to the Vid, can’t say that’s the same now for gen Z.  We went there because it wasn’t frequented by gen X and we didn’t want to deal with Kilroys but also didn’t want to go somewhere like the office lounge.  It skewed older back then but sure doesn’t feel that way now.

We called the VID a townie bar was definitely off the beaten path for most college kids

On 2/17/2020 at 10:06 AM, Boiler Sam said:

Good morning IU people  - Purdue grad here. 

Heading to my first concert at the Bluebird soon, and was looking for any tips you guys might have as far as parking, nearby places to grab a relatively quick bite to eat before the show, etc. 

Another Purdue fan on here? This is weird haha. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Boiler Sam said:

Had an awesome time in Bloomington on Thursday night. 

Great meal at Little Tibet, then a killer show by Durand Jones and the Indications.(homegrown soul outfit who I HIGHLY recommend seeing if you have not already) Bluebird is a great venue. Lot of history there, can’t wait to go back. 

The only question I have is did you have a pint or a yard of Guinness for me?

On 2/17/2020 at 2:09 PM, Colonialcrester said:

Is she adopted? Is that why she is the smart one of the family? 

Sorry it was just too easy.😀

@Boiler Sam Welcome!

If CC comes out swinging on you so soon you have either made him angry, or made a solid first impression.  😆 

I forgot to add that I hope you like the site enough to stick around.Who cares who we root for.Cool is cool big scheme of things.

Speaking of .. If you like big burgers try Opie Taylor's. Also among the places on the East of the Courthouse on Walnut St.

I like what I've tried at every specific place suggested on so far.The choice only gets harder once you have been to enough of these spots. Lol 

Edited by jblaz13
  • Like 1

On 2/29/2020 at 3:17 PM, Billingsley99 said:

The only question I have is did you have a pint or a yard of Guinness for me?

Well I had a Stella draft and a beam and coke at the show... does that count? Didn’t make it to the Irish Lion, my brother and I both had to work the next day so we took off for Indy right after the show... guess we’re getting old. 

15 hours ago, Boiler Sam said:

Well I had a Stella draft and a beam and coke at the show... does that count? Didn’t make it to the Irish Lion, my brother and I both had to work the next day so we took off for Indy right after the show... guess we’re getting old. 

I will give you a pass this time but next trip to Bloomington,  no excuses 😀

7 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I will give you a pass this time but next trip to Bloomington,  no excuses 😀

Unfortunately, looking like I might have quite a few trips to Bloomington in my future...starting in August of 2021, and I’ll be bringing my checkbook with me...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

Unfortunately, looking like I might have quite a few trips to Bloomington in my future...starting in August of 2021, and I’ll be bringing my checkbook with me...

Unfortunately ?   You should be so lucky having to make it back to B-town.  By the way. Happy to have you as an active poster on my most favorite IU fan board.

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Unfortunately ?   You should be so lucky having to make it back to B-town.  By the way. Happy to have you as an active poster on my most favorite IU fan board.

Yeah I know, but would be nice if she joined her older brother in WL, if only from a purely logistical standpoint. And it will be hard to write “Indiana University” on a check...

Yeah I know, but would be nice if she joined her older brother in WL, if only from a purely logistical standpoint. And it will be hard to write “Indiana University” on a check...

I hear ya.  Would be tough for me to write the Purdue University as well.  By the way talking about kids. Don't know if you know, I live in Colorado.  Spoke to the youngest neighbor across the street. Who's best friend is attending IU.  She narrowed her choices to IU and Colorado.  She chose Colorado.  I was disappointed.  But congratulated her on her choice, anyway.  Understand logistics.

Again.  Glad to have you as a member here.  Keep on posting.

• 7 months later...
On 3/2/2020 at 9:22 PM, milehiiu said:

I hear ya.  Would be tough for me to write the Purdue University as well.  By the way talking about kids. Don't know if you know, I live in Colorado.  Spoke to the youngest neighbor across the street. Who's best friend is attending IU.  She narrowed her choices to IU and Colorado.  She chose Colorado.  I was disappointed.  But congratulated her on her choice, anyway.  Understand logistics.

Again.  Glad to have you as a member here.  Keep on posting.

Well, I’m back. Our daughter is insisting we take her down to The Other School today... need to figure out dinner plans after an afternoon walking the campus. Anyone know which of the above recommendations are or are not open for dine-in ? 

Well, I’m back. Our daughter is insisting we take her down to The Other School today... need to figure out dinner plans after an afternoon walking the campus. Anyone know which of the above recommendations are or are not open for dine-in ? 

If you want great steaks go to Janko's Little Zagreb's.  Unbelievable steaks and has been there for years.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Colonialcrester said:

If you want great steaks go to Janko's Little Zagreb's.  Unbelievable steaks and has been there for years.  

There's really something to be said to hearing about your favorite restaurants and bars when you were a college kid, now in your 50s, and they're still there and going. Bloomington going strong, Give me Mother Bears, Little Zagreb's, Runcible Spoon, Nick's English Hut, Cafe Pizzaria, Village Deli....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

There's really something to be said to hearing about your favorite restaurants and bars when you were a college kid, now in your 50s, and they're still there and going. Bloomington going strong, Give me Mother Bears, Little Zagreb's, Runcible Spoon, Nick's English Hut, Cafe Pizzaria, Village Deli....

We ended up going to Mother Bears. The girls had gone there after a soccer game in Bloomington several years ago, but it was my first trip. Yummy. Had a good pie and a local IPA that was tasty. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

We ended up going to Mother Bears. The girls had gone there after a soccer game in Bloomington several years ago, but it was my first trip. Yummy. Had a good pie and a local IPA that was tasty. 

Mother Bears rocks. Living in Texas, where pizza is far down the list of good eateries, I miss it. 

8 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Dagwoods Deli opened my freshman year.  Funny Dagwoods story... living in the dorm on the meal plan meant Sunday night on your own.  Which living in Wilkie and being broke usually meant breadsticks at the Noble Romans a block away.  Anyway... one rainy Sunday night my roomie and I splurges and decided to order subs from this new place in town(Dagwoods).   It was far from a good experience(took forever and the guy dropped my roomies sandwich in a puddle getting out of his car).  But damn wet bread and all we were sold on the Hoosier Hoagie.   Every visit to Btown always includes a Dagwoods stop.

Go Hoosiers!!!

• Like 1