Beilein, Stevens, Beard

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You can make a bad shooter to maybe to a good shooter but a great shooter or a pure shooter is born and not made.

Well A our shooting isn’t our main problem. 37% during our last 5 losses.  So not too worried. 

Max B was 11 of 41 from 3. A pretty bad shooter most would say. Crean got him to go 29 of 64 a lights out shooter. 

Grad transfers are still a thing also

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Well A our shooting isn’t our main problem. 37% during our last 5 losses.  So not too worried. 

Max B was 11 of 41 from 3. A pretty bad shooter most would say. Crean got him to go 29 of 64 a lights out shooter. 

Grad transfers are still a thing also

Just stating that just bring in Belein would not magically make our shooters better

1 minute ago, rico said:

Well I am not sure what kind of grass he was looking for?  May have been an ego trip.  But one has to question why Cleveland would hire him as well.

2 birds one stone. Dan Gilbert owner of the Cavs is a big time Michigan St fan and contributor/alumni. Probably thought removing Beilein from the picture at Michigan would help Izzo and his school.

In all seriousness though...I have zero clue why anyone would want to joint the Cavs. They are the Bengals, Redskins. Only reason they've had any success is because Lebron felt an obligation since he's from there. 

7 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

We already discussed Beilein. Great college coach but he's at the end of his career. Also it took him a couple of years to build his program at Michigan, understandably. He'd be over 70 by then. Anyway, it's sad his NBA stint isn't working out. He seems like a great, classy guy. 

Well then, I guess we had all just better shut up, since you’ve definitively closed the book on the discussion.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

In all seriousness though...I have zero clue why anyone would want to joint the Cavs. They are the Bengals, Redskins. Only reason they've had any success is because Lebron felt an obligation since he's from there. 

Most guys don't really look at the big picture when they make the jump.  Stevens and Donovan did and it is working out for both of them.  Choose your organization wisely.  

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

The hard work part isn’t what they are lacking. 

yeah the thing lacking is the skill to shoot.  No matter how hard some players work they will never be a shooter like Alford.  Yes, Steve worked hard but he had the god given ability to shoot a basketball that can't be taught.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

yeah the thing lacking is the skill to shoot.  No matter how hard some players work they will never be a shooter like Alford.  Yes, Steve worked hard but he had the god given ability to shoot a basketball that can't be taught.

Lol keep telling yourself that there’s no way for a player to improve their shooting. In the face of overwhelming evidence. 

Coaching is what matters. Why do you think we had the shot doctor 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Well it took Belein 3 years to get UM to be real competitive and with his age will he have time to turn IU around.  He should have been our coach when we hired Sampson but right now is not the right time to talk about this.

I actually agree.  Beilein is the type of coach who probably will need some time to get things rolling.  He was a good option like 15 years ago...now?  I do not see it.  Still a good coach but he could be 70 before you start to see a hire like that pay off.  Also, I would question his commitment at this age to the things you need to do to be successful as a college coach.  The College game is at least 50% recruiting, if you do not have the heart to be all in on that, you are not going to be super successful in the College game (see the end of Knight's tenure at IU).

And before anyone jumps in, I would absolutely take the late 90's Knight results right now.  Just saying that plugging in a 4 or 5 year stop gap who is not really enamored with recruiting anymore is probably not going to be successful.

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Lol keep telling yourself that there’s no way for a player to improve their shooting. In the face of overwhelming evidence. 

Coaching is what matters. Why do you think we had the shot doctor 

did not say they can't improve a little bit but expect an average shooter to become a great shooter does not happen often at all.  You had guys like Shaq who appeared to work hard on their free throws and brought in many people to help him but it never worked.

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I actually agree.  Beilein is the type of coach who probably will need some time to get things rolling.  He was a good option like 15 years ago...now?  I do not see it.  Still a good coach but he could be 70 before you start to see a hire like that pay off.  Also, I would question his commitment at this age to the things you need to do to be successful as a college coach.  The College game is at least 50% recruiting, if you do not have the heart to be all in on that, you are not going to be super successful in the College game (see the end of Knight's tenure at IU).

And before anyone jumps in, I would absolutely take the late 90's Knight results right now.  Just saying that plugging in a 4 or 5 year stop gap who is not really enamored with recruiting anymore is probably not going to be successful.

Also most of the guys he recruited at UM our fans would have never liked because they were not highly ranked.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

did not say they can't improve a little bit but expect an average shooter to become a great shooter does not happen often at all.  You had guys like Shaq who appeared to work hard on their free throws and brought in many people to help him but it never worked.

Pretty poor example since they taught how to be a good FT shooter. Granny style and he refused to do it. 

Also bad because you picked an absurd comparison that is not of the same scale. They need to go from 37% to 40% that’s a minor incremental improvement. 

I’m a Archie supporter, but you make this move. Bring Beilein in and then bring in a guy like Fife to be the HC in waiting. So you get the benefit of Beilein righting the ship and the long term continuity of the young up and comer. 

Another option would be to see if he is interested in being an assistant like Phil Martelli. Beilein knows offensive and Archie knows what he wants defensively. Fork over a nice assistant contract and see if he is interested. 

6 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I’m a Archie supporter, but you make this move. Bring Beilein in and then bring in a guy like Fife to be the HC in waiting. So you get the benefit of Beilein righting the ship and the long term continuity of the young up and comer. 

Another option would be to see if he is interested in being an assistant like Phil Martelli. Beilein knows offensive and Archie knows what he wants defensively. Fork over a nice assistant contract and see if he is interested. 

Why do some think Fife would just pick up and leave MSU for IU for a lateral move.  Yes he played at IU but he grew up in Michigan and all of his family went to UM so it is not like the family has connections to IU.  Also I doubt Belein would be an assistant coach since he has never been one in his career.

This is just me and it goes on the premise that "B" wants to continue coaching.  That is the most relevant thing here.  If, and I mean if, he chooses to do so he will have very limited opportunities due to his age.  He may go the Tark route?  Perhaps the Lefty one?  Rollie?  RMK?  Or just maybe to be close to the game he becomes a studio guy or a color analyst?

Archived