Beilein, Stevens, Beard

32 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I haven’t read this whole thread so this might have been covered. I also can’t seem to copy the video to include here that my buddy sent me. It was an ESPN talk show talking about Belien leaving Cleveland and the guy said something about “a guy named Archie Miller in Bloomington” thinking he was going to have his job next year. 

I’m not posting this to say I’m in favor of it as I believe he gets four years. I just thought it was interesting that a national guy made this connection. 

Which show was that on?

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

When I am talking about the fan base I am not just talking about this board.  What we see here is pretty tame compared wat people say on Twitter and Facebook.

Serious question. I dont do social media so I dont know answer.  Do you mainly follow IU basketball info or evenly across all schools and programs? 

I can sit here and say Indiana has the worst public education in the country and a person is a fool to send their kids to public school.  I have no idea how public education in others states is because I only care about it in Indiana.  I can either glamorize it or bash it but truly have nothing to compare it to. So when you say how bad IU fans are I assume you have done your due diligence in comparing it to other schools of comparable position.

21 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I honestly don’t know. My buddy sent me a few seconds of a clip he recorded on his phone off of the television. I’m guessing he was sitting on his couch a ways off. It was hard to see. It wasn’t anyone I recognized though as best I could see. 

I believe it was Bomani Jones 

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

Serious question. I dont do social media so I dont know answer.  Do you mainly follow IU basketball info or evenly across all schools and programs? 

I can sit here and say Indiana has the worst public education in the country and a person is a fool to send their kids to public school.  I have no idea how public education in others states is because I only care about it in Indiana.  I can either glamorize it or bash it but truly have nothing to compare it to. So when you say how bad IU fans are I assume you have done your due diligence in comparing it to other schools of comparable position.

I don't follow either but just have read some responses from those outlets that blows my mind.  it Is not just critiquing the play but just how personal people make it which is where I have a problem.  Also I have listened to national media guys who were former IU guys say what the viewpoint of this fan base is and it is not good.  Listen to Assembly Call and see what Ryan Phillips have to say about what our reputation is nationally.

13 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I honestly don’t know. My buddy sent me a few seconds of a clip he recorded on his phone off of the television. I’m guessing he was sitting on his couch a ways off. It was hard to see. It wasn’t anyone I recognized though as best I could see. 

So was it just a couple of guys speculating on what Belein might do or they are acting like they heard something?

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't follow either but just have read some responses from those outlets that blows my mind.  it Is not just critiquing the play but just how personal people make it which is where I have a problem.  Also I have listened to national media guys who were former IU guys say what the viewpoint of this fan base is and it is not good.  Listen to Assembly Call and see what Ryan Phillips have to say about what our reputation is nationally.

So you have no idea how our crazy fans compare to any other passionate fan base. 

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

So you have no idea how our crazy fans compare to any other passionate fan base. 

Well I believe what I hear from the national media so yes I think we are worse than any other fan base besides UK.  I also believe this is one of the reasons we did not get Brooks as well as well as the  promise of the NBA.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So was it just a couple of guys speculating on what Belein ight do or they are acting like they heard something?

I don’t think he got the entirety of the clip, but from what I heard I would put my money on just speculation. Like I said, I just thought it was interesting to hear someone from outside our bubble so to speak make that connection. 

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

The people that wanted Beilein back then still donate a lot on money

If we have an opening would love to have him as the coach.  The thing is that will it be to late when the new AD gets here to even make any changes this year.  Also if our AD decides to mae a change I would be OK with it but still don't think it helps to have these threads after each loss.  Say we hired him and his first years was like the one he had at UM will you be patient with him  even with his age. 

4 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I don’t think he got the entirety of the clip, but from what I heard I would put my money on just speculation. Like I said, I just thought it was interesting to hear someone from outside our bubble so to speak make that connection. 

I figured that and it Is like the national media with Brady and thought the first place he would go was the Colts.

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I just worded it very poorly. DD said today that if JB leaves the Cavs and IU is not the first call he receives he would be shocked.

I agree with DD once in awhile and this is one of those times! I don’t know with our AD and administration if it happens but hiring JB over CAM is a no brainer I don’t know if it’s just me but I think we miss the tournament this year and not looking for much better next year! It has been very disappointing 3 years! We could have a plan in place for a smooth transition when JB retires years down the road. Lots of positive things in a move like this imho.

17 hours ago, 5fouls said:

John Beilein has always been my favorite opposing coach.  That said, I still think Archie deserves enough respect to see how this year actually ends and to see how he does with the 2021 recruiting class before we start hiring replacements.

Beilein is a proven B1G coach! Archie has not proven anything in three years! I hoped he would be the guy but he hasn’t developed players or made any progress for the program. I don’t even like Beilein but I want IU to get out of this muck that they are in!!

I don't see how Beilein makes any sense. Our roster matches up with his style about as poorly as possible. So you'd be looking at a 3 year rebuild, at which point he's 70. Unless he's committed to go to 75+, you basically have a 3-4 year window, before starting over again. Doesn't make a lot of sense as a long term strategy.

Regarding fan impact on college basketball programs. I think it obvious that fans can either be an asset or a detraction. I also think it obvious that in the past Indiana fans have been an asset to the program. That being said, there are very pronounced ways that Indiana fans have detracted from the program over the past decade as well. Those who have decried the impact of fans on recruiting are actually obscuring the more important point which in my mind is ethical. Our fans have been responsible for mistreating human beings in the past decade. Whether that is coaches, coaches family members, or players. That's the God's honest truth. Whether you don't think that has had an impact on the program is up to you, but the way Crean and his family were treated and the way some players have been treated is embarrassing to me.

That being said, I think that the way back for this program is not actually through elite talent, but through elite work ethic. We need blue collar work ethic that the fan base will fall in love with...the alternative of blue blood elitism won't work for us. When the fanbase and program operate with that kind of privileged mindset it undermines the work ethic of the program and the fans act poorly.

I believe that this is the biggest issue Archie faced, a poor culture around and in the program but no real ability to face it head on. (I agree that being stubborn about lineups and ball screen coverages is baffling given that the results and work ethic from the team have been underwhelming)

I have hope that the culture of the program can turn this next year. I think that the three players coming in can be part of that, I think that the roster will also look different enough that the tide can turn significantly. Culture will have to come first, then wins.

Also, I still believe three more wins this year has the team in the tournament and the narrative shifts entirely. 

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Why do some think Fife would just pick up and leave MSU for IU for a lateral move.  Yes he played at IU but he grew up in Michigan and all of his family went to UM so it is not like the family has connections to IU.  Also I doubt Belein would be an assistant coach since he has never been one in his career.

I used him as an example. Pick any young coach you like. 

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Well apparently I’m a double fool since I’ve been in public education for almost 25 years. IMHO, it depends where you send your kids. Not everyone gets the same results. This is the 3rd school system in Indiana that I have worked for ( a 1A, 3A and now 4A) and all three have their pluses and minuses. Public education is all I know and have never been more proud    to teach kids and try to make a difference. 

I have a question.  Why is it after a win and people come on here to celebrate a win we are told it is just one game and doesn't make a season, which is totally true.  Yet people come here after every loss and claim the season is over and Archie is not the right guys.  Isn't a loss just one game and doesn't make the season as well.  saying that to say that it is better to judge a season once it is over.

Archived