Beilein, Stevens, Beard

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

fans mainly but some people with a decent following 

I wouldn't worry about what some loud mouth fans are saying because they only represent a portion of the fan base.  I bet in a couple of days we will start getting reports that Belein is seen in Bloomington

5 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

The majority of the people I have talked to which I’d say is around 30 people I’ve asked. Still support Archie.. sad that the minority is the loudest heard 

Literally no one in my family watches or cares anymore.  It used to be must watch tv.  I remember back in the day family members skipping a Saturday wedding so that they could watch the game.  Now no one cares.  Sad.

2 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

People posting Beilein to IU on social media... SMH. For one not going to happen and for two posting all that crap hurts the program under the coach now. Ridiculous. Archie isn’t going anywhere so wish people would cut the crap. Took Beilien 4 years to win at Michigan anyways clearly people don’t have enough patients for him either. Might be harder for him to recruit with this “thug” stuff labeled with him as well 

You might not like it.  CAM might not deserve it.  But its telling.  When less than 3 years in people are asking for a proven coach to come coach IU.  Is it fair to CAM, somewhat.  He hasn't proven anything in 3 years we're in the middle of a 1-4 streak.  Does he deserve more time, maybe.  Unfortunately nothing is showing an upward trend and that has people concerned.

The fact that fans are actively and opening calling for a new coach already just tell you how starved for national level basketball again they are.  IU fans (not all, but a majority) have lost most if not all patience with Indiana basketball's fall from grace.  Whether its warranted or not, the fans are getting restless again.  Uninspired basketball with total collapses on the road does not give the warm and fuzzy everyone wants.  

Maybe you're right and CAM is the savior that everyone want/needs and we will just need to suffer another couple years before we see.  Maybe he is in over his head and Power 5 basketball is more than he can handle at this point. (Lots of examples of Mid major guys not making the jump the first time). Maybe the administration  is the puppet master and CAM is merely a puppet to their demands.  Doesn't matter anymore.  CAM has to win now and often OR he has to play inspired basketball and show the ability to change and grow not only his players but himself.  This fanbase will rally around and follow the underdog with the spirit of a lion.  What we currently have are lions with spirit of sloth.  the first 3 years of CTC were BAD BAD.  But they play inspired and with heart.  They left it all on the floor every night.  These last couple years i am not sure they even bring it all to the arena, let alone use it all.

Sorry to ramble, and this post isn't directed at you specifically.  Just the topic that came first.

9 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Literally no one in my family watches or cares anymore.  It used to be must watch tv.  I remember back in the day family members skipping a Saturday wedding so that they could watch the game.  Now no one cares.  Sad.

Interest is down but there majority of the people know you gotta give Archie 4-5 years... if he is still losing when his guys are upperclassmen then you cut the cord 

13 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

That sucks but I don't think your family constitutes the majority of the fan base.

5 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

You might not like it.  CAM might not deserve it.  But its telling.  When less than 3 years in people are asking for a proven coach to come coach IU.  Is it fair to CAM, somewhat.  He hasn't proven anything in 3 years we're in the middle of a 1-4 streak.  Does he deserve more time, maybe.  Unfortunately nothing is showing an upward trend and that has people concerned.

The fact that fans are actively and opening calling for a new coach already just tell you how starved for national level basketball again they are.  IU fans (not all, but a majority) have lost most if not all patience with Indiana basketball's fall from grace.  Whether its warranted or not, the fans are getting restless again.  Uninspired basketball with total collapses on the road does not give the warm and fuzzy everyone wants.  

Maybe you're right and CAM is the savior that everyone want/needs and we will just need to suffer another couple years before we see.  Maybe he is in over his head and Power 5 basketball is more than he can handle at this point. (Lots of examples of Mid major guys not making the jump the first time). Maybe the administration  is the puppet master and CAM is merely a puppet to their demands.  Doesn't matter anymore.  CAM has to win now and often OR he has to play inspired basketball and show the ability to change and grow not only his players but himself.  This fanbase will rally around and follow the underdog with the spirit of a lion.  What we currently have are lions with spirit of sloth.  the first 3 years of CTC were BAD BAD.  But they play inspired and with heart.  They left it all on the floor every night.  These last couple years i am not sure they even bring it all to the arena, let alone use it all.

Sorry to ramble, and this post isn't directed at you specifically.  Just the topic that came first.

I agree with a lot of it.. teams effort against Michigan was ridiculous. I put a lot of blame on upperclassmen for poor leadership. If Archie’s guys he recruited are upperclassmen and still playing like this then I’ll be ticked. I like the toughness and competitiveness Leal and Galloway bring in next years class 

7 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

It's pretty simple. Get your team to play hard, win at a reasonable level as you build it, recruit well, and all of this goes away. 

5 minutes ago, Cutter said:

Do you know the majority of the fan base? I don’t and nobody does

Majority of the people in my area. ..probably 80-90% still support Archie. Are they concerned? Sure. Am I concerned? Yes some. But I know and the majority know you gotta give him 4-5 years and calling for his head on Social media won’t help anything!

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/02/19/john-beilein-cavaliers-thugs-songs

Many of the Cavaliers reportedly did not fully accept Beilein's explanation and went on to play songs that included the word "thug" when their coach was around to listen, according to The Athletic. Those songs reportedly included Bone Thugz-n-Harmony’s “Thuggish Ruggish Bone” and Tupac’s “Thugz Mansion," many of them "blasted" during team workouts.

19 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Majority of the people in my area. ..probably 80-90% still support Archie. Are they concerned? Sure. Am I concerned? Yes some. But I know and the majority know you gotta give him 4-5 years and calling for his head on Social media won’t help anything!

I am not on social media other than this but IF we had a team that played with total effort, determination to win , with positive flow and purpose at both ends of the floor then people would not be calling for Archie to be replaced by someone capable of the big stage

It's so bizarre that IU finds itself in this situation. It really feels cursed at times.

Three years ago there were three coaches hired into the B1G, CAM, Holtmann and Underwood. At the time, the general consensus was that CAM was the can't miss hire. OSU was so convinced that after IU hired CAM, but before they hired Holtmann, they reportedly reached out to CAM to see if he'd go to OSU before his ever coaching a game at IU.

There was nothing in Holtmann or Underwood's resumes to suggest they'd be more successful or even as successful at a Power 5 program than CAM. Holtmann took over an established Butler program and won 69% of his games versus Lickliter's 68%, Steven's 77% and Matta's 75%. Underwood had a great record at SFA, but was 9-9 in the Big 12 in his one year at OK St (although improved over the prior year).

Yet, here we are in year 3 and the IU basketball program is currently behind both Ill and OSU.

https://factoryofsadness.co/2017/06/10/ohio-state-called-archie-miller-coaching-job/

Which coach was the best hire in one of the seven major basketball conferences this year?

Rank

Coach

School

Vote percentage

Archie Miller

Indiana

37.8 percent

Brad Underwood

Illinois

26.4 percent

T3.

Chris Holtmann

Ohio State

10.4 percent

T3.

Cuonzo Martin

Missouri

10.4 percent

Kevin Keatts

NC State

6.6 percent

Will Wade

LSU

2.8 percent

Mike Hopkins

Washington

1.9 percennt

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/candid-coaches-which-power-conference-school-made-the-best-coaching-hire/

6 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

It's so bizarre that IU finds itself in this situation. It really feels cursed at times.

Three years ago there were three coaches hired into the B1G, CAM, Holtmann and Underwood. At the time, the general consensus was that CAM was the can't miss hire. OSU was so convinced that after IU hired CAM, but before they hired Holtmann, they reportedly reached out to CAM to see if he'd go to OSU before his ever coaching a game at IU.

There was nothing in Holtmann or Underwood's resumes to suggest they'd be more successful or even as successful at a Power 5 program than CAM. Holtmann took over an established Butler program and won 69% of his games versus Lickliter's 68%, Steven's 77% and Matta's 75%. Underwood had a great record at SFA, but was 9-9 in the Big 12 in his one year at OK St (although improved over the prior year).

Yet, here we are in year 3 and the IU basketball program is currently behind both Ill and OSU.

https://factoryofsadness.co/2017/06/10/ohio-state-called-archie-miller-coaching-job/

Which coach was the best hire in one of the seven major basketball conferences this year?

Rank

Coach

School

Vote percentage

Archie Miller

Indiana

37.8 percent

Brad Underwood

Illinois

26.4 percent

T3.

Chris Holtmann

Ohio State

10.4 percent

T3.

Cuonzo Martin

Missouri

10.4 percent

Kevin Keatts

NC State

6.6 percent

Will Wade

LSU

2.8 percent

Mike Hopkins

Washington

1.9 percennt

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/candid-coaches-which-power-conference-school-made-the-best-coaching-hire/

very interesting post.  you just never know how things will work out.  

I don't feel good about the program. It isn't fun to watch most games anymore. With that being said, I wouldn't be excited if IU was to fire Archie. I also wouldn't be excited if they were to hire Beilein as his replacement. To me, this a reflection on the state of the program and the admin, more than on what Archie/Beilein bring and don't bring to the table.

The last time I was excited about IU was when Romeo committed.

The ideal future is Archie building a winning program and leading it for a long time. It just doesn't look like that's likely to happen.

I’m frustrated with him however I’m indifferent on wether he should stay or go after this year or even next, because frankly it doesn’t matter what I think.  I mentioned player development as a concern on a different post, that along with looking at what Dayton is doing this year with Anthony Grant who couldn’t cut it at a major college.  Lots of people win at Dayton in fact most do.  When it comes to player development, yes some of that falls on the players but I ask, who gets most of the credit for Oladipo from media and the kids? Crean does and that’s how they landed Anthony Edwards.  No I don’t want Crean back either just saying. I think Edwards quote was “He got wade and silk in the league and that’s where I want to end up.” Another thing that bothers me is he isn’t doing anything he is saying he’s going to do.  Never seen a shortened rotation, never seen a different starting lineup, never seen an adjustment in a game that gave ME the confidence he has what it takes.  The hard hedging has been killing us all year when Brunk does it because he doesn’t have the quickness to recover.  That got exploited big time at Michigan and they just kept going at it.  Adjust to the players on your roster, not the players you want to have on your roster. Maybe Archie figures it out, maybe it’s the 2 seniors bringing them down, maybe it’s Creans recruits, but what’s it going to be in the years after those guys leave?  Maybe the new AD and President will give him more freedom, that remains to be seen.  I’m just sick and tired of losing and sick of excuses with no repercussions.

1 hour ago, china423 said:

12 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Well way too take the high road here fellas 

“If you have to be apologized to for your coach calling you a thug, you ain’t gonna never win,” Shaq said. “You’re soft, period. … Stop being so sensitive.”

“To be complaining about a coach who’s coming in and trying to make y’all work on fundamentals when y’all stink, make y’all watch film, make y’all practice hard — this is a joke,” Barkley said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/shaq-calls-cavs-soft-defends-john-beilein-over-thugs-error/ar-BBYPn8L

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

“If you have to be apologized to for your coach calling you a thug, you ain’t gonna never win,” Shaq said. “You’re soft, period. … Stop being so sensitive.”

“To be complaining about a coach who’s coming in and trying to make y’all work on fundamentals when y’all stink, make y’all watch film, make y’all practice hard — this is a joke,” Barkley said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/shaq-calls-cavs-soft-defends-john-beilein-over-thugs-error/ar-BBYPn8L

Wow these players couldn't have ever played for RMK because this stuff is tame compared to how RMK talked to players.  If any player had a reason to go off about how a coach talked to them that would have been Darryl Thomas.

29 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Love what Shaq and Chuck said!

Archived