Beilein, Stevens, Beard

25 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

That Cav player stuff is indicative of loserville.  "Thug" doesn't even make sense in the context.  It doesn't fit with the meaning of what he was saying.  I don't know what's in the man's heart, but I seriously doubt he meant anything racist.

I dont know him but would agree. I find it very difficult to think that a guy coaching his whole life and his success being dependent of young men of all backgrounds is a racist or had a freudian slip. 

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to wonder why anyone would really want to get into the coaching profession at any level.  At the hogh school level you have to deal with crazy parents who think their gets are going to get scholarships.  At the college level you have to worry about trying to kiss up to 17 year old kids trying to get them to come to your school.  You have to worry about all the NCAA rules and making sure no one is breaking them.  You have to deal with fans and alumni putting heat on you if you are not winning enough.  At the pro level you are more of a physiologists than a coach and the players run every thing. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I have to wonder why anyone would really want to get into the coaching profession at any level.  At the hogh school level you have to deal with crazy parents who think their gets are going to get scholarships.  At the college level you have to worry about trying to kiss up to 17 year old kids trying to get them to come to your school.  You have to worry about all the NCAA rules and making sure no one is breaking them.  You have to deal with fans and alumni putting heat on you if you are not winning enough.  At the pro level you are more of a physiologists than a coach and the players run every thing. 

986BA732-2DF1-4996-9215-36C83A6A60BA.gif

6 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Well I am pretty sure these college or pro coaches are smart enough to be able to make good money in other professions.  If Stevens would had stayed at Lilly he probably would be making a pretty good living.  Maybe not what they are making coaching but sometimes the frustrations are not worth the money.

13 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Also if people are getting into this profession just for the money then they are getting into for all the wrong reasons.  Money should be the reward for your hard work and dedication to the game because you love it.  I would hope coaches get into coaching because they love the game and want to be around the game as a profession. They need to want to teach the game and get players to become better players and humans.  Maybe the reason e see the game in the shape it is today on the court is that to may are doing it for the money and not the love of the game.  To me what we see on the offensive end of the court it makes you think their is not much originality in their coaching.  If all they are seeing is dollar signs then maybe they will do a bunch of shortcuts and just do what others are doing instead of coming up with some original ideas.  They might think well if I can just recruit well then my deficiencies in my coaching ability will get covered up.

I think my biggest issue right now is the level of effort and the culture. I could take the slow build of missing the tournament as Archie built this back up, if we at least saw a team playing hard and a culture developing. 

If I saw Archie's personality coming through in the team, a pitbull mentality, and some mental toughness, which is what I thought/hoped we were getting with Archie, then I'd still be in my full "patience mode", even with missing the tournament the first two years and being on the bubble this year. At least you could see what the future would look like once he had a full recruiting cycle and better talent. 

I just don't see any of that yet. I see a team for yet a third season that looks listless, lifeless and like they're they don't want to be there. I don't see the culture developing, which IMO is the most troubling thing. Forget substitutions, defensive schemes, bad shooting, etc., the development of culture is the huge thing missing for me. 

This doesn't mean I want Archie fired. I don't, at least not yet. I hope he turns this around and as I've said numerous time I think he could be a tremendous fit longterm at IU, I'm still just really confused as to why it's been so difficult for him to incorporate culture and toughness. My only explanation is that the admin has really just neutered any power he has. 

37 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think my biggest issue right now is the level of effort and the culture. I could take the slow build of missing the tournament as Archie built this back up, if we at least saw a team playing hard and a culture developing. 

If I saw Archie's personality coming through in the team, a pitbull mentality, and some mental toughness, which is what I thought/hoped we were getting with Archie, then I'd still be in my full "patience mode", even with missing the tournament the first two years and being on the bubble this year. At least you could see what the future would look like once he had a full recruiting cycle and better talent. 

I just don't see any of that yet. I see a team for yet a third season that looks listless, lifeless and like they're they don't want to be there. I don't see the culture developing, which IMO is the most troubling thing. Forget substitutions, defensive schemes, bad shooting, etc., the development of culture is the huge thing missing for me. 

This doesn't mean I want Archie fired. I don't, at least not yet. I hope he turns this around and as I've said numerous time I think he could be a tremendous fit longterm at IU, I'm still just really confused as to why it's been so difficult for him to incorporate culture and toughness. My only explanation is that the admin has really just neutered any power he has. 

You just took the words right out of my mouth. The culture, or lack thereof, is what is upsetting me. Not necessarily the Wins and Losses. I said before, I rooted like hell during Crean's first year, because despite lacking talent, those guys played as hard as they could. 

47 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I want so badly for Archie to be the coach we dream of.  He's everything I want in a coach -- except, for the current moment, wins/product.

4 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This may be the biggest impediment to Johnny getting back into coaching.  Tough to get guys to play for you when you’ve been branded a racist.

F649CCCF-EA8A-48DB-81B3-4F80DE2CDE29.jpeg

Always easy to throw out that race card! Where was the racism at MU?? Bottom line NBA players didn’t want to listen to a good college coach so they made his job hell!!

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

That Cav player stuff is indicative of loserville.  "Thug" doesn't even make sense in the context.  It doesn't fit with the meaning of what he was saying.  I don't know what's in the man's heart, but I seriously doubt he meant anything racist.

Right. When Pat Riley coached the Knicks, "playing like a bunch of thugs" was the game plan. Not to mention Laimbeer and the rest of the "Bad Boys" in Detroit. They would take that as a compliment.

3 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I want so badly for Archie to be the coach we dream of.  He's everything I want in a coach -- except, for the current moment, wins/product.

Completely agree. I really do think he's a great fit for IU. But, at some point the wins have to come, the development has to come, the culture has to come, etc. But I'd love nothing more than for Archie to get it going and work out long term. Not even just because I of course want IU to win, but because I genuinely, at least from a distance, like Archie as well. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Completely agree. I really do think he's a great fit for IU. But, at some point the wins have to come, the development has to come, the culture has to come, etc. But I'd love nothing more than for Archie to get it going and work out long term. Not even just because I of course want IU to win, but because I genuinely, at least from a distance, like Archie as well. 

Agreed. It just feels so fragile at the moment. Hard to imagine another coach firing, then another rebuild, rinse & repeat.

The fact that the team sided with the players after this one incident is why the team is going to be a bottom feeder until another superstar decides to pity them. 

After these players started acting like passive aggressive bs they should have been punished swiftly and if it continued sent to the DL league affiliate to to enjoy those amenities and if it continued further figured out the one place they didn’t want to go to then trade them there. 

I watched Illinois play PSU last night.  ESPN had both coaches miked up live throughout the entire game.  The announcers did minimal talking.  It was fascinating!  I wish we could do the same for an IU game and hear what's said in huddles and at half as well as the sideline coaching while play is going on.  It would be helpful and educational to hear our coach.

12 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I watched Illinois play PSU last night.  ESPN had both coaches miked up live throughout the entire game.  The announcers did minimal talking.  It was fascinating!  I wish we could do the same for an IU game and hear what's said in huddles and at half as well as the sideline coaching while play is going on.  It would be helpful and educational to hear our coach.

Actually, it was FS1, not ESPN.  Aside from that it was great.  No commercials. Imagine that. No commercials ! Not only did we hear the coaches on the sidelines as we were able to watch the game. But we also were able to hear the coaches strategy during time outs. And I was like you... wanting to hear Coach Miller during a game.

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

My feelings EXACTLY. I just want to watch a team that plays with effort and heart. The team I saw the day BK came home against PU was not a team that I want to watch play basketball. That team failed to show up on a historic day at AH. I guess if the admin is causing this you could bring in any coach you want and nothing will change. I haven’t been impressed with Archie. I really thought he would be the guy. I’m sure he will get another year but I don’t see how anything changes. Hope I’m wrong...

51 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I like how Archie comes across and the things he seems to focus on, at least when talking.  He's about the right things, and his embodiment of basketball is what I want.  I agree with your points as disappointments, but I also have this nagging feeling that there is a lack of a "spark" in his coaching.  The hedge thing actually works well with Michigan State but bombed against UM and yet he comes across as helpless as he did last year when we lost 12 out of 13.  It's not just effort.  It's easy to yell at everybody and blame everything on effort but things are not going well IMO relative to creativity in tactics, adjustments.  Player development is another black hole and that is a topic for another time.

5 hours ago, 5 championships said:

One other quick thing. None of this would be going on if IU wouldn’t of got absolutely decimated by injuries last year let alone Romeo playing hurt all year which is just really sad and frustrating.. that team could of and should of been top 25 all year. Everyone forgets that 

honestly at this point i am not as concerned with our wining percentage and i am with player growth, coaching growth, and ability to adjust to such things as injuries, lack of shooters or lack of athleticism in our big's.  3 years now i have seen zero heart and passion on the floor.  Balanced between CTC's recruits and CAM recruits.  I will not lay it all at CAM's feet or CTC's for the players on this roster.  But i will say there is something wrong with either the coaching staff, the whole locker room,  or the administration.

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

honestly at this point i am not as concerned with our wining percentage and i am with player growth, coaching growth, and ability to adjust to such things as injuries, lack of shooters or lack of athleticism in our big's.  3 years now i have seen zero heart and passion on the floor.  Balanced between CTC's recruits and CAM recruits.  I will not lay it all at CAM's feet or CTC's for the players on this roster.  But i will say there is something wrong with either the coaching staff, the whole locker room,  or the administration.

Player development is my biggest issue at this point. I agree though something is amuck with the whole institution

52 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I like how Archie comes across and the things he seems to focus on, at least when talking.  He's about the right things, and his embodiment of basketball is what I want.  I agree with your points as disappointments, but I also have this nagging feeling that there is a lack of a "spark" in his coaching.  The hedge thing actually works well with Michigan State but bombed against UM and yet he comes across as helpless as he did last year when we lost 12 out of 13.  It's not just effort.  It's easy to yell at everybody and blame everything on effort but things are not going well IMO relative to creativity in tactics, adjustments.  Player development is another black hole and that is a topic for another time.

He is smart and knows basketball. 

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Actually, it was FS1, not ESPN.  Aside from that it was great.  No commercials. Imagine that. No commercials ! Not only did we hear the coaches on the sidelines as we were able to watch the game. But we also were able to hear the coaches strategy during time outs. And I was like you... wanting to hear Coach Miller during a game.

Yeah, thanks for the correction, I couldn't remember ESPN or FS1.  But that game was so incredibly interesting and insightful IMHO.  The comments to officials as well as the players...well, I thought it was great!  I hope they do that again.  I think they called it...ALL ACCESS.  I could be wrong there.  I just happened upon it.  Really amazing.

1 hour ago, Beowulf50 said:

While me and everyone here is worried about wins and losses...... there have been four people in my community commit suicide!! At least two seem like they have the world by the balls!! I really don’t understand!! 

Because if IU basketball?  

Archived