Beilein, Stevens, Beard

57 minutes ago, IDontWannaLargeFarva2 said:

Only you could see the incredible transformation in basketball since 2000 and blame it on a lack of originality.

You are astoundingly ignorant. Pace and space leads to higher percentage looks in the shot clock era but you seem to yearn for motion offense, backdoor cuts and inefficient mid range jump shots.

What exactly is wrong with the “shape the game is in today” other than the fact it has passed you by?

I guess if you think offensive basketball today is better then I really have to question your knowledge of the game or to young to know what good offensive basketball looks like

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Until the next loss that is.

But you knew that..... Right??

I would prefer a new list of possible replacements for Coach Miller after the next loss.  How about Knight, Calhoun or Wimp Sanderson?   (now 82 and looking ripe for a new gig)

9 hours ago, IDontWannaLargeFarva2 said:

“Better” What does that even mean? It’s changed in favor of more efficient looks. Open threes and shots at the rim are what offenses are now designed to produce, that’s good coaching, not bad.

Totally disagree with you on it being efficient because we see way to be many force shots at the end of the shot clock now.  If all you use is analytics which tells you that 3's and layups are the only good shot then you might think it is efficient but to me that is not the case.  Give me shots that are open if it is from 1ft, 10 ft or the 3 it does not matter as long as they are good looks.  I think people think before we had the shot clock that all people did was hold the ball and made 20 passes before they shot which is totally false.  With the 30 second clock it does not give you time to run any kind of offense especially when so many don't get into their sets until about 15 seconds left in the clock.  Coaches before would start their offense right when they got into the front court and there was very little dribbling at the top of the key wasting time.  They had many types of offenses, some would be slow down but there were a lot of team that played with a fast pace.  Take a look at our 81 tournament game against Maryland and you will see an efficient offense that scored 99 points without a 3 point line or a shot clock.  Most of the time we got an open look within two or 3 passes and they knocked down the shot because they were open and did not have to rush against a shot clock.

50 minutes ago, IDontWannaLargeFarva2 said:

The shot clock isn't going anywhere, so stop complaining about it ruining the game. Conversations with you are entirely circular. 

I know it is not and I don't want it to leave but it is best to be at 45 seconds.  I will leave it at this, you can like the kind of basketball you like and I will like the style I like.

56 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

The plight of some previous coaches who made the leap to the NBA also befell Beilein: players quickly tuning him out with his penchant for screaming, and believing that Beilein was treating them as young, college athletes, not as professionals

If you want to be treated as a professional, act like a professional

14 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

The plight of some previous coaches who made the leap to the NBA also befell Beilein: players quickly tuning him out with his penchant for screaming, and believing that Beilein was treating them as young, college athletes, not as professionals

If you want to be treated as a professional, act like a professional

That statement sounds good in theory, but it's just off in the NBA. These are grown men, all of whom are the best of the college and foreign ranks, who are "professionals," not college kids. You can't bring your college in-your-face-listen-to-me-when-I-talk coaching style to the pros, it just won't work. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Totally disagree with you on it being efficient because we see way to be many force shots at the end of the shot clock now.  If all you use is analytics which tells you that 3's and layups are the only good shot then you might think it is efficient but to me that is not the case.  Give me shots that are open if it is from 1ft, 10 ft or the 3 it does not matter as long as they are good looks.  I think people think before we had the shot clock that all people did was hold the ball and made 20 passes before they shot which is totally false.  With the 30 second clock it does not give you time to run any kind of offense especially when so many don't get into their sets until about 15 seconds left in the clock.  Coaches before would start their offense right when they got into the front court and there was very little dribbling at the top of the key wasting time.  They had many types of offenses, some would be slow down but there were a lot of team that played with a fast pace.  Take a look at our 81 tournament game against Maryland and you will see an efficient offense that scored 99 points without a 3 point line or a shot clock.  Most of the time we got an open look within two or 3 passes and they knocked down the shot because they were open and did not have to rush against a shot clock.

Also just saying...I’m sure you watch more than indiana basketball. But I don’t judge today’s hoops on what we are doing at Indiana lol. This team is not very cohesive on offense regularly. not every team has a bunch of forced shots, does iso just to get a shot up, and has unforced turnovers. Our offense looks much better when we make shots, but so does everyone’s. My only point of this post is to say Indiana’s offense is not what I judge today’s basketball offense by because there are much better offenses than ours. I’m younger (30) but still can appreciate great ball movement and the thought it takes to get open looks. 

9 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

That statement sounds good in theory, but it's just off in the NBA. These are grown men, all of whom are the best of the college and foreign ranks, who are "professionals," not college kids. You can't bring your college in-your-face-listen-to-me-when-I-talk coaching style to the pros, it just won't work. 

Maybe true, but he took over a team that was 19-63 the prior year and apparently decided they had nothing to learn from John Belien because he hadn't coached in the League. I think the players just wanted to pick their coach.

One unnamed player said Cleveland’s assistant coaches, like JB Bickerstaff, are “definitely more prepared for the NBA.” Another Cavs player said the team has been ignoring Beilein.

More specifically, some of the terminology Beilein uses in his system has not been well-received by the team, as players seem to think naming plays after wild animals is something that should not be done in the NBA. One example would be Beilein referring to a curl as a “polar bear.” One Cavs source told The Athletic, “you don’t go pro to do that kind of thing.”

https://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/cavs-players-unhappy-with-john-beilein/527075

Just now, 13th&Jackson said:

Maybe true, but he took over a team that was 19-63 the prior year and apparently decided they had nothing to learn from John Belien because he hadn't coached in the League. I think the players just wanted to pick their coach.

One unnamed player said Cleveland’s assistant coaches, like JB Bickerstaff, are “definitely more prepared for the NBA.” Another Cavs player said the team has been ignoring Beilein.

More specifically, some of the terminology Beilein uses in his system has not been well-received by the team, as players seem to think naming plays after wild animals is something that should not be done in the NBA. One example would be Beilein referring to a curl as a “polar bear.” One Cavs source told The Athletic, “you don’t go pro to do that kind of thing.”

https://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/cavs-players-unhappy-with-john-beilein/527075

The team is terrible. No question. Doesn't change the fact that you can't bring an authoritarian college coaching style to the NBA. Just won't work. Exception - Pop. If you earn the respect of the team over years, you can get there. Look at how humble Brad Stevens has been coming in, and how he has handled / interacted with his players. That works. Beilein's approach won't.

11 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

Also just saying...I’m sure you watch more than indiana basketball. But I don’t judge today’s hoops on what we are doing at Indiana lol. This team is not very cohesive on offense regularly. not every team has a bunch of forced shots, does iso just to get a shot up, and has unforced turnovers. Our offense looks much better when we make shots, but so does everyone’s. My only point of this post is to say Indiana’s offense is not what I judge today’s basketball offense by because there are much better offenses than ours. I’m younger (30) but still can appreciate great ball movement and the thought it takes to get open looks. 

I watch a lot of college basketball and I see the same offense ran by most of the teams.  I see a lot of forced shots at the end of the clock.  I think some of the problem is that the coaches micro manage to much instead of just letting the players play.  I like to see more of a free flowing offense where you come down and start your offense right away and not wait 10-15 seconds of dribbling to start.

1 hour ago, IDontWannaLargeFarva2 said:

Sure thing, just don't prosthelytize as if there is a problem with offenses today, when that is entirely your opinion, and an uninformed opinion at that. 

Well if you look at scoring averages through the years they are lower today with a 30 second clock than they were without a clock.

9 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

This was posted on Gold and Black in a Beilein thread. Humorous, because it's true for many:

The IU fans would want Archie fired and Beilein hired. Then when Donovan leaves the thunder they would want Beilein fired and Donovan hired. Then when Stevens leaves the Celtics.......fill in the blanks.

Who wouldn’t want that??  Big difference between wanting it and believing it could happen though (obviously it never would).

But in the alternate reality where that was possible, I don’t think it would be worth jettisoning Donovan to hire Stevens.  Donovan might honestly be better.

30 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

This was posted on Gold and Black in a Beilein thread. Humorous, because it's true for many:

The IU fans would want Archie fired and Beilein hired. Then when Donovan leaves the thunder they would want Beilein fired and Donovan hired. Then when Stevens leaves the Celtics.......fill in the blanks.

kinda funny because on one hand it sounds kind of bad, but on the other it's because we have high expectations and like said above, who wouldn't want that?  

Archived