Beilein, Stevens, Beard

3 minutes ago, JugRox said:

lol

Why is that funny?  They've won 2 road games(Nebraska and Northwestern).  They play at Rutgers, Purdue, OSU and MD.  You really see them winning on the road?  I'll give them the home games so they'd be at 18 wins.  They lose the 1st rd of the BTT and yes they are on the bubble.

Go Hoosiers!!!

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

I'm not so sure about that.  UM has 4 of their last 6 on the road.   They could very easily end up with only 18 wins which would put them on the bubble.

Go Hoosiers!!!

They are a way better team when Livers play and the committee will take some of those losses with him out into account.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well the current coach of Washington was given that promise of being the next HC  at Syracuse over 10 years ago and you see how that played out

James Franklin was also named the head coach in waiting at the University of Maryland. 

A few things that I would say I believe with 99% certainty:

- Brad Stevens will never be the head coach at IU

- Billy Donovan will never be the head coach at IU

- Chris Beard will never be the head coach at IU

- Dane Fife will never be an assistant coach at IU

I think all four of those are pipe dreams, with the caveat that I said "assistant coach" for Dane Fife. I could see a scenario where he is the head coach, but he's not doing a lateral move simply for a "coach in waiting" title. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think all four of those are pipe dreams, with the caveat that I said "assistant coach" for Dane Fife. I could see a scenario where he is the head coach, but he's not doing a lateral move simply for a "coach in waiting" title. 

Fife already turned down an IU assistant position under Crean if memory serves...

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They are a way better team when Livers play and the committee will take some of those losses with him out into account.

Of course they are better with him but that doesn't mean squat on the B1G road.  They still need to win on the road to be safely in.  I think they will be one of the 9 or 10 B1G teams in but they have work to do.

Go Hoosiers!!!

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

James Franklin was also named the head coach in waiting at the University of Maryland. 

A few things that I would say I believe with 99% certainty:

- Brad Stevens will never be the head coach at IU

- Billy Donovan will never be the head coach at IU

- Chris Beard will never be the head coach at IU

- Dane Fife will never be an assistant coach at IU

What about if/when Donovan gets fired in OKC?  It doesn’t look to be happening imminently, but most NBA coaches only have so much of a shelf life.  I could see them moving on in 2021/2022.

Just now, FW_Hoosier said:

What about if/when Donovan gets fired in OKC?  It doesn’t look to be happening imminently, but most NBA coaches only have so much of a shelf life.  I could see them moving on in 2021/2022.

This isn't a John Beilein situation, Billy Donovan has been a good NBA coach and has a good chance to be COY this year. He's done a fantastic job in OKC this year. So, while agree there are shelf-life issues in the NBA, it's not like Donovan wouldn't have other NBA teams calling on him as well. 

I would be absolutely shocked if JB is not coaching college basketball next year and just as shocked if some of our "people " have not or will very soon reach out to JB for a heat check of the situation. Many of the people that wanted him the first time are still active and I expect them to contact JB just to get a feel

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I would be absolutely shocked if JB is not coaching college basketball next year and just as shocked if some of our "people " have not or will very soon reach out to JB for a heat check of the situation. Many of the people that wanted him the first time are still active and I expect them to contact JB just to get a feel

If or when we have an opening he would be on the top of my list but until told other wise we already have a coach.  Also I would think he would be more interested in the IU job than say UT since he has always been in the east or Midwest coaching.

5 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

What about if/when Donovan gets fired in OKC? 

OK guys, let's huddle up!

Image result for Picture of very old man blowing a whistle

Donovan has amassed a 232-151 record. He has the fourth-highest winning percentage (60.6 percent) among active NBA coaches behind Golden State’s Steve Kerr, Toronto’s Nick Nurse and San Antonio’s Gregg Popovich.

The Thunder (33-22) enters the All-Star break as one of the league’s biggest surprises.

OKC, in sixth place in the Western Conference, is a lock to make the playoffs a season after the departures of nine-time All-Star and franchise cornerstone Russell Westbrook and six-time All-Star Paul George.

Donovan is an obvious Coach of the Year candidate.

https://oklahoman.com/article/5655074/this-is-the-guy-how-billy-donovan-made-florida-basketball-a-national-brand

24 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If or when we have an opening he would be on the top of my list but until told other wise we already have a coach.  Also I would think he would be more interested in the IU job than say UT since he has always been in the east or Midwest coaching.

I get that we have a coach but make no mistake the feelers will be put out to judge interest level 

9 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I get that we have a coach but make no mistake the feelers will be put out to judge interest level 

A quality of a good AD, is that he keeps a list of potential coaching candidates for all the sports he oversees, in his wallet.  Question, I have, knowing Mr. Glass is on the way out the door.... did he throw out that list ? 

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

A quality of a good AD, is that he keeps a list of potential coaching candidates for all the sports he oversees, in his wallet.  Question, I have, knowing Mr. Glass is on the way out the door.... did he throw out that list ? 

But JB is 67.  You don’t put him on a short list of potential candidates unless you are seriously considering hiring him right now.

24 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Great question.  The guys that wanted Beilein still have their lists and JB still at the top

1 hour ago, Radio Zero said:

Reread what you wrote.  Especially the opening sentence.  You sound like a teacher scolding her first graders.

I can’t quite figure out why it’s always the cheer block who wants the negs to be silenced, though I could speculate.

And yes, I’m aware the question of the possibility of changing coaches and that of whether it’s warranted are separate.

Hey, I didn't mean to be sounding like a teacher. Never interested in teaching others and not even good at it. If you felt that way, sorry about that.

With that said, my comment was not even directed to you, and if you made this above comment in the first place, everything would've been fine. I wouldn't have replied. But if you chose to throw jabs and sarcastic remarks, you gotta expect something in return. 

4 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

I say we Bring in Fife as a head coach..he has experience and he has been with Izzo for a number of years...Fans would love his wit,he’s an IU guy,he’s young...why the hell not..😁

What qualifications does he have on his resume to make you think he would be a good fit here besides playing for iU

9 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

I say we Bring in Fife as a head coach..he has experience and he has been with Izzo for a number of years...Fans would love his wit,he’s an IU guy,he’s young...why the hell not..😁

Haven't we won 3 straight against Sparty? Speaking of them:

Indiana basketball is a Mt. Rushmore of college basketball programs. Interestingly, I had one Indiana recruit last year, two this year and one for 21 all tell me an interesting note. All mentioned, “Loving” the school and Archie Miller. All expressed to me that in their choice not to attend or leaning towards other schools was the level of scrutiny that comes from the IU fans.

I find it fascinating that Indiana not only has to recruit against the top schools in the nation but now appears, at least from recruits, that he is recruiting against some of his own fans. That should not be that way at any school, but especially at a Mt. Rushmore program.

https://www.si.com/college/michiganstate/basketball/indiana-hoosiers-coach-archie-miller-post-upset-of-9-michigan-state

I believe Beilein’s coaching style and overall philosophy will translate better with this roster make up next year than what Archie does. Archie in my opinion does not know how to coach and the guy is clueless on making adjustments.. really think about it. This guy came from Dayton which is known for winning and obviously has proven to be a winning program even after Archie left. Hell, they’re even better now that he’s gone. This was a terrible hire. No one can change my mind on that. Beilein is going to get bought up the moment he’s available, get him now while we can. I think he will simply COACH this team much better than Archie. With that being said, it’ll be awhile to get his recruits but regardless I don’t think he’s inheriting a bunch of scrubs.. this team has enough talent to win.. they just need the right leader coaching them to it. 

6 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Indiana basketball is a Mt. Rushmore of college basketball programs. Interestingly, I had one Indiana recruit last year, two this year and one for 21 all tell me an interesting note. All mentioned, “Loving” the school and Archie Miller. All expressed to me that in their choice not to attend or leaning towards other schools was the level of scrutiny that comes from the IU fans.

I find it fascinating that Indiana not only has to recruit against the top schools in the nation but now appears, at least from recruits, that he is recruiting against some of his own fans. That should not be that way at any school, but especially at a Mt. Rushmore program.

https://www.si.com/college/michiganstate/basketball/indiana-hoosiers-coach-archie-miller-post-upset-of-9-michigan-state

been saying that but no one listens because they have their heads stuck in the ground.

3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I'm not one of those "kids are soft today" people, but this is pretty pathetic. I'm not really interested in players that choose a school based on how nice the fans are to them. I don't see anything different here with the fans than any other schools. I'm on the East Coast, and Maryland fans have been calling for Turgeon's head for years, and they might even force firing him if they flame out again this year. Listening to an IU podcast today, and they talked about how IU doesn't really have a bulldog-type player to lead the team. We're certainly not going to have one if we start recruiting players that are worried about the fans being mean to them. C'mon.

2 minutes ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

I believe Beilein’s coaching style and overall philosophy will translate better with this roster make up next year than what Archie does. Archie in my opinion does not know how to coach and the guy is clueless on making adjustments.. really think about it. This guy came from Dayton which is known for winning and obviously has proven to be a winning program even after Archie left. Hell, they’re even better now that he’s gone. This was a terrible hire. No one can change my mind on that. Beilein is going to get bought up the moment he’s available, get him now while we can. I think he will simply COACH this team much better than Archie. With that being said, it’ll be awhile to get his recruits but regardless I don’t think he’s inheriting a bunch of scrubs.. this team has enough talent to win.. they just need the right leader coaching them to it. 

It might not work out but the hire was not a bad one and I will take the words of college basketball experts over your opinion.  I was not even in favor this hire but many give the guy some time before you judge his qualities.  Also there is no way next years team would fit what Belein tries to do because you need shooters at all 5 positions.

Archived