Beilein, Stevens, Beard

Just now, IU Scott said:

It might not work out but the hire was not a bad one and I will take the words of college basketball experts over your opinion.  I was not even in favor this hire but many give the guy some time before you judge his qualities.  Also there is no way next years team would fit what Belein tries to do because you need shooters at all 5 positions.

The pundits say that about almost every hire.  Crean was called a brilliant hire by ESPN.  I said when we hired Archie that he had a high ceiling but also a very very low floor.  He was a very risky hire as he had never done anything in the big leagues.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It might not work out but the hire was not a bad one and I will take the words of college basketball experts over your opinion.  I was not even in favor this hire but many give the guy some time before you judge his qualities.  Also there is no way next years team would fit what Belein tries to do because you need shooters at all 5 positions.

I mean that’s fine. Experts can say whatever they want. Still not going to change my opinion. I don’t think he’s a good coach, plain and simple. I get we don’t have shooters at every position, but regardless he would still coach this team a lot better than Archie has or ever will. 

3 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I'm not one of those "kids are soft today" people, but this is pretty pathetic. I'm not really interested in players that choose a school based on how nice the fans are to them. I don't see anything different here with the fans than any other schools. I'm on the East Coast, and Maryland fans have been calling for Turgeon's head for years, and they might even force firing him if they flame out again this year. Listening to an IU podcast today, and they talked about how IU doesn't really have a bulldog-type player to lead the team. We're certainly not going to have one if we start recruiting players that are worried about the fans being mean to them. C'mon.

Well everyone always wonder how we keep losing out on top recruits and everyone always blames the coach or the administration.  The one constant through the years are the fans so maybe it is time to look in the mirror at ourselves and realize that we could be part of the overall problem.  Just listen to a lot of people talk the last few years about players and we just have to realize tat kids are different today and most can't handle criticism like they use to.  We also have to realize with social media it is easer for fans to get to the players after bad games.

Just now, Jackson Kellogs said:

I mean that’s fine. Experts can say whatever they want. Still not going to change my opinion. I don’t think he’s a good coach, plain and simple. I get we don’t have shooters at every position, but regardless he would still coach this team a lot better than Archie has or ever will. With that being said, it doesn’t take an expert to determine if he’s a good coach or not. All you have to do is flip on the TV and just watch. Guy flat out cannot coach in the B10. 

Just now, IU Scott said:

Well everyone always wonder how we keep losing out on top recruits and everyone always blames the coach or the administration.  The one constant through the years are the fans so maybe it is time to look in the mirror at ourselves and realize that we could be part of the overall problem.  Just listen to a lot of people talk the last few years about players and we just have to realize tat kids are different today and most can't handle criticism like they use to.  We also have to realize with social media it is easer for fans to get to the players after bad games.

Actually the one constant has always been an incompetent administration.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Scott, you ARE one of those "kids are soft these days" people, and you're ok with this? Seriously? Give me a break. You can't have it both ways, because this is about as soft as it gets.

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

The pundits say that about almost every hire.  Crean was called a brilliant hire by ESPN.  I said when we hired Archie that he had a high ceiling but also a very very low floor.  He was a very risky hire as he had never done anything in the big leagues.

Well most hires are a crap shoot and getting someone from a mid major is what most teams do.  You do realize that most of the all time greats started out at the lower level than move up.  Boheim and Roy Williams are the only ones I can remember that went from assistant to a HC of a power conference team and became an all time great coach.  Very rarely do you see someone go from one power conference team to another one.

2 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Scott, you ARE one of those "kids are soft these days" people, and you're ok with this? Seriously? Give me a break. You can't have it both ways, because this is about as soft as it gets.

Yes they are soft but we as fans have to change because the old tactics are not working

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Yes they are soft but we as fans have to change because the old tactics are not working

This is a pretty ridiculous take, but since you brought it up, you can start with yourself. You talk about how threads on changing coaches hurt the program, how we already have a coach, yet you continue to post in the coaching discussion threads.

1 minute ago, AxnJxn said:

This is a pretty ridiculous take, but since you brought it up, you can start with yourself. You talk about how threads on changing coaches hurt the program, how we already have a coach, yet you continue to post in the coaching discussion threads.

I am not saying I agree with these kids attitude and how they play today but it is obvious things effect kids today that was not even thought of back in the day.  The reason I keep responding is that I think it is ridiculous that after every loss we have to deal with this same topic.  I want to do things that are positive for the program and I don't think people bringing up potential replacements are positive for the program.

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

The fans being too harsh is just an easy excuse for in state recruits to not look had for going somewhere else. Lame excuse at best 

Believe what you want but until we as fans see we are part of the problem it won't change.  Everyone always wanted to see proof of this and now there are some proof that fans can have an impact on recruiting.  I have seen IU guys who are now in the national media talk about what the reputation of this fan base is nationally and it is not good.

1 hour ago, Indy1987 said:

Of course they are better with him but that doesn't mean squat on the B1G road.  They still need to win on the road to be safely in.  I think they will be one of the 9 or 10 B1G teams in but they have work to do.

Go Hoosiers!!!

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28577356/ncaa-tournament-bubble-watch-updated-look-wildest-bubble-years

Wait....change my mind.

You are probably right. 

Michigan needs a road win to get to 19.

My Bad

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

The fans being too harsh is just an easy excuse for in state recruits to not look had for going somewhere else. Lame excuse at best 

How about the fans stop being too harsh?

Simple solution to a simple problem.

And if you don't think the IU fan base plays a part in recruiting, both good and bad, then I don't know what to tell ya....

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Believe what you want but until we as fans see we are part of the problem it won't change.

Just like every coach said going to play for Knight is crazy.  Every coach will say what ever they have to in order to land a recruit. If it's not our crazy fans it was our out of date facilities or coach is on hot be seat always an angle. 

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

Just like every coach said going to play for Knight is crazy.  Every coach will say what ever they have to in order to land a recruit. If it's not our crazy fans it was our out of date facilities or coach is on hot be seat always an angle. 

And again.....all 3 of those play a big role in recruiting.

You honestly think they dont?

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

So you are either saying that he author of that article is lying or the recruits he talked to are lying.  All of those things you mentioned plays a part in recruiting and our fans negativity is right up there with the rest.  If you don't think fans calling for the coaches head after 2 years is not a problem when it comes to recruiting then I don't know what to tell you.  Also that can be a major problem when you actually are looking for a new coach because top candidates doesn't have to come here and put up with this crap.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Believe what you want but until we as fans see we are part of the problem it won't change.  Everyone always wanted to see proof of this and now there are some proof that fans can have an impact on recruiting.  I have seen IU guys who are now in the national media talk about what the reputation of this fan base is nationally and it is not good.

Question to you Scott. All high major, creme of the crop D-1 programs (basketball and football) have nasty, crazy fans, but top programs have had no problem bringing in good talents and produce winning seasons year in and year out. If the fanbases of those programs go through what we've been going through, do you think they would still be positive and supportive for their losing programs? 

21 minutes ago, JugRox said:

And again.....all 3 of those play a big role in recruiting.

You honestly think they dont?

Of course they do but if they choose not to go to IU because of our fans then they will miss our passionate fans that get behind them like no other when they play hard. One of the things they learn is you cant fool the fans of Indiana.  If they choose elsewhere because of our fandom then good riddance 

1 minute ago, addictedtoIU said:

Question to you Scott. All high major, creme of the crop D-1 programs (basketball and football) have nasty, crazy fans, but top programs have had no problem bringing in good talents and produce winning seasons year in and year out. If the fanbases of those programs go through what we've been going through, do you think they would still be positive and supportive for their losing programs? 

the only fan base worse than us is UK and we all know why kids still go there.  I would say that the schools we are going up against is not even close to our fan base when it comes to scrutiny.  I think it is a problem every where but it is worse here.  I have seen two big ten coaches complain about fans already this year about how they treat the players after losses.  My question to you is that why as fans do we need to go to social media and rip 18-22 year old kids who are playing a game.  Just because they don't meet the expectations of some old guys on message board.  Maybe if we tried to be different from the other schools we might be able to land better recruits.

Archived