Dan Dakich just called all you guys clowns

I never listen to Dakich, but I wanted to hear that Wayne Winston interview, which was great. He confirmed a lot of stuff we all have been talking about. 

-Don't have Brunk and TJD on the floor at the same time.
-Assist numbers are low because we don't drive the lane and kick out - a result of having two bigs in the paint.
-We are getting killed on hedges. 
-Rob and Green on the floor at the same time is not a good combo (at the beginning of the season I was wondering why they didn't play together, but we have been learning why ever since December.)

And then I listened to the beginning of the podcast, which just made me shake my head. I know Dakich's reputation of being a know at all, but I thought his show was an extension of his play by play commentary (which I really don't mind). Wow, talk about somebody who is divisive. I guess I'm just a little disappointed of a former player and coach I used to respect. He has the ability to offer insightful analysis but for some reason feels the need to bloody the waters for no good reason. I hate this culture of relentlessly attacking people who don't agree with you. Ironically, when I went to watch Dakich speak at an event about 10 years ago all that he talked about is healthy culture. It seems as he's created a persona and his fed into it while his exposure online and in the media increased. Somewhere along the way it seems he lost himself. 

....I'll continue not to listen. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

And sued for liable, threats of physical violence, etc.

It's as if Dan does not know people are either ordered or asked to hunker down in place due to the virus.  Yet he tells listeners ( what few may be left)  and himself to take a trip  there    I agree with Hoosier Jax.  Guy is the clown now.

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 1

October 2007. Cancer/Coaches breakfast. My table was my wife, Senderoff, Dakich, and 3 others. RS was fidgety....hindsight 20/20 he knew that was the day the story was going to break so I guess I understand. Second part to the story...Dakich is all smiles with Sampson and the whole crew for the sake of himself. He sold himself out at that time for $ and he's still doing it today.

I don't get Dakich lately. He's picking a fight with a crew (IU fans, IU alumni, IU itself...as well as countless others) that he has zero chance of winning. We're undefeated in the Indy market. I have a couple of theories about DD and his behavior but don't want to turn this into something. He's a guy who has spent his entire life living with an inferiority complex and still at age 50 whatever he still hasn't gotten comfortable in his own skin. Sad for him. Hate it when I see people who love and know a sport.....just destroy their lives in the name of arrogance.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

October 2007. Cancer/Coaches breakfast. My table was my wife, Senderoff, Dakich, and 3 others. RS was fidgety....hindsight 20/20 he knew that was the day the story was going to break so I guess I understand. Second part to the story...Dakich is all smiles with Sampson and the whole crew for the sake of himself. He sold himself out at that time for $ and he's still doing it today.

I don't get Dakich lately. He's picking a fight with a crew (IU fans, IU alumni, IU itself...as well as countless others) that he has zero chance of winning. We're undefeated in the Indy market. I have a couple of theories about DD and his behavior but don't want to turn this into something. He's a guy who has spent his entire life living with an inferiority complex and still at age 50 whatever he still hasn't gotten comfortable in his own skin. Sad for him. Hate it when I see people who love and know a sport.....just destroy their lives in the name of arrogance.

He makes it that he was such a good player but I watched a couple of games form 83 and he only saw like 30 second sin one game and none in the other game.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He makes it that he was such a good player but I watched a couple of games form 83 and he only saw like 30 second sin one game and none in the other game.

Two things keeping Dan afloat in his head. The time he got the assignment to defend Michael Jordan, though being told NOT to take a shot on offense.  And being accepted to Andrean's sports hall of fame.

15 hours ago, milehiiu said:

It's as if Dan does not know people are either ordered or asked to hunker down in place due to the virus.  Yet he tells listeners ( what few may be left)  and himself to take a trip  there    I agree with Hoosier Jax.  Guy is the clown now.

This is so sad for me. Ted Kitchell is my fave IU player, loved him when I was a youngster, Dan had been my second favorite. I met him at a charity game years ago, back in Vincennes. It was former Indiana high school stars against former IU players, I met Dan and Randy Wittman, Dan was super nice as was Randy. I also met the Heineman twins, they are the only ones I can remember from the former high school all stars. Anyway, I’d always like Dan, but he has gone completely off the deep end.

55 minutes ago, Hoosrnight said:

This is so sad for me. Ted Kitchell is my fave IU player, loved him when I was a youngster, Dan had been my second favorite. I met him at a charity game years ago, back in Vincennes. It was former Indiana high school stars against former IU players, I met Dan and Randy Wittman, Dan was super nice as was Randy. I also met the Heineman twins, they are the only ones I can remember from the former high school all stars. Anyway, I’d always like Dan, but he has gone completely off the deep end.

I've told this fact before.  Had an uncle who was Dan's godfather.  So I got to know about Dan early. From his high school days at Andrean, and of course his time at IU.  I've  got to think there is something going on in his personal life, that causes him to go off on people. 

21 minutes ago, rico said:

I wish Dan would have just stayed at West Virginia...

As much as he “disses” Coach Miller, the team and Coach Knight,.....why is he still on the air? I know there are fans that love listening to guys like Dan. I have a family member who acts just like him. I can’t stand his “I don’t care who’s toes I step on” attitude! When he is on 1070 The Fan, I turn the channel.

Its like WWE, in the ring those guys may be firce, dirty good for nothing bums but their real life persona may be nothing like that. Dan on his show is an entertainer that people continue to talk about and to listen too and complain about. His character gets good following.  His real life persona does not always line up with the on air one. As long as you think they are 1 in the same many of you wont like him. I am sure he is fine with that.  Make no mistake he knows what he is doing and for ratings it is working. Dan the entertainer gets the Bill's paid. Dan the former Hoosier not so much

57 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Sounds to me that "The Fan" is not much different than the NCAA.  Launch an investigation.  And nothing comes of it.  Or have I not heard an update into the Dakich investigation ?

The INDYCAR forum I lurk on has a whole Dakich thread going on their off topic forum. He is loathed in Indycar circles as well for comments he has made over the years. 

55 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

The INDYCAR forum I lurk on has a whole Dakich thread going on their off topic forum. He is loathed in Indycar circles as well for comments he has made over the years. 

So. Dan has even ticked off the Indy Car folks.  Amazing !  Quite the accomplishment.  It's not just IU BB fans. 

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

And he is fine with that. How many other talk shows are being discussed on that forum? He knows there is a market and he is exploiting it for sure.

You know how some fan sites start a Fire ( our coach ) website ?  Should someone start a fire Dan Dakich website ? 

And is "The Fan" still investigating ?  What a bunch of BS.

Years ago, as I have mentioned. I was a daily listener of Dan's radio show.  But stopped when he kept hanging up on people calling in. And calling them clowns.  Maybe, just maybe everyone should just stop listening to him.  He's the clown. Not us.

23 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

You know how some fan sites start a Fire ( our coach ) website ?  Should someone start a fire Dan Dakich website ? 

And is "The Fan" still investigating ?  What a bunch of BS.

Years ago, as I have mentioned. I was a daily listener of Dan's radio show.  But stopped when he kept hanging up on people calling in. And calling them clowns.  Maybe, just maybe everyone should just stop listening to him.  He's the clown. Not us.

That would get their attention but his ratings continue to skyrocket.  I was interested in some radio AD time and the space for his show was significantly higher than the other spots

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I'll end my part with this...

@ephul, I've always appreciated you as a poster, but I think you're way off here...

Dakich has already talked his way out of one great gig (ESPN play color analyst..."it was as much my choice as their choice" 😂😂😂) and is fixing to talk his way out of another. 

That stuff about running sandwiches for DoorDash as penance for running up gambling debts? Bullsh!t...and then doing it for sh!ts and grins after he'd paid his debt? Double BS...

I understand his thoughts..."the more controversial I am, I'll get both people who like me and hate me hitting the show" only lasts so long...

Empty wagons make the most noise...

He just got his contract renewed with Emmis this week.  He's not going anywhere anytime soon.