Dan Dakich just called all you guys clowns

Also I would say this the more I think about it...I think Knights concern over helping IU find it's next coach went out the window when they got rid of him. Also pretty sure IU wouldn't have taken Knights call either for awhile after. For a time there it probably wouldn't have done Dan any good at all to have Knight in his corner given the fall out. If anything maybe Knight did him a solid by not intervening. Maybe Dan is upset Knight ruined it for him...IDK...I'd say Dan has more animosity for those at IU that didn't give him the job then Knight. At this point I think he goes with the wind....it's envogue to be critical of IU...if we were making final fours again he would be all up in our caboose. I also think now that Knight made peace and is starting to find favor in the eyes of some around basketball Dan will also ease up there because people will get tired of running down a more sympathetic figure like the current Knight.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Also I would say this the more I think about it...I think Knights concern over helping IU find it's next coach went out the window when they got rid of him. Also pretty sure IU wouldn't have taken Knights call either for awhile after. For a time there it probably wouldn't have done Dan any good at all to have Knight in his corner given the fall out. If anything maybe Knight did him a solid by not intervening. Maybe Dan is upset Knight ruined it for him...IDK...I'd say Dan has more animosity for those at IU that didn't give him the job then Knight. At this point I think he goes with the wind....it's envogue to be critical of IU...if we were making final fours again he would be all up in our caboose. I also think now that Knight made peace and is starting to find favor in the eyes of some around basketball Dan will also ease up there because people will get tired of running down a more sympathetic figure like the current Knight.

I have really kind of side stepped what I was trying to say.  My "Perry Mason" theory...Dan took the job without the General's consent at BG.  Thus it alienated Dan from Bobby and his "loyal" former players etc.  Then, for whatever reason, Sampson gets him back on the IU staff.  Sampson gets terminated and the alienation from RMK comes back to bite him the arsz just like a bad case of Jakich.

Book 'em Danno!

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I agree DG is not our best player but he is probably our best offensive weapon when he is going right.

IMHO this team is missing 2 consistent, 3 pt shooters. Shooters like Iowa's Wiescamp, Purdue's Stefaovic etc. When teams are consistently beating us, they're beating us with legitimate and consistent 3 pt. shooters. We have one three point shooter who is either ON or OFF,.....zero consistency from anyone on IU's roster. We are so transparent and easy to scout.....fill the lanes, pack inside and make us shoot 3's. We have often struggled getting the ball inside against the zone but when the ball does go inside we can't capitalize like most other good shooting teams. When our bigs do get the ball inside they often struggle to score. This leads me to our lack of good 3 pt shooters.

In the Michigan game, IU had consistency with Davis inside, a career game for him, but Davis could have scored numbers like Iowa's Garcia and IU still loses to Michigan.

Where are the A.J. Guytons, Pat Grahams, Jordan Hulls, Matt Roths, Kyle Hornsbys, Brian Evans and Dane Fifes? When those players were on the floor, EVERY team we played knew they were going to score points for IU,....the only thing opposing teams could do was try to find a way to slow them down. If Archie is looking for those type of players, I think Anthony Leal will fit that mold.......we just need more like him.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rico said:

I have really kind of side stepped what I was trying to say.  My "Perry Mason" theory...Dan took the job without the General's consent at BG.  Thus it alienated Dan from Bobby and his "loyal" former players etc.  Then, for whatever reason, Sampson gets him back on the IU staff.  Sampson gets terminated and the alienation from RMK comes back to bite him the arsz just like a bad case of Jakich.

Book 'em Danno!

Perry Mason and Hawaii 5-O in the same post...I'm impressed!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Love Della (Barbara Hale)...know who her real life son is?

And Paul Drake was the 2nd coolest TV dude ever to Paladin...

LOL.  Yes, her real life son was/is the Greatest American Hero...who also played Paul Drake, Jr, in quite a few Mason movies.  William Katt.

Paul was cool for sure...as was Paladin...I prefer Josh Randall.  Now McQueen was cool.

Dan is an entertainer.  He is like a WWE wrestler who switches from face to heel as the need arises.

He'll spend one day talking, in very derogatory terms, about the IU players and staff, and then come back the next day and chide the fans for saying the exact same things he was saying the day before.  And that gets people to pay attention to him.  Love him or hate him, you have to give him some kudos for what he does.

Some of the most biting criticism has come from Dakich.  He is a former player with a fairly big megaphone in the largest market in the state.  He does way more damage to the IU brand on his daily show than any knucklehead fan on Twitter or a message board.  And the thing about him, is he says this stuff and you don't really even know if there is conviction behind it.  He slams the coaching staff and then slams the fans for slamming the coaching staff.  I at least prefer the earnestness of fans having an opinion over a talking head cynically putting a finger to the wind to see how to get listeners....

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Dan is an entertainer.  He is like a WWE wrestler who switches from face to heel as the need arises.

He'll spend one day talking, in very derogatory terms, about the IU players and staff, and then come back the next day and chide the fans for saying the exact same things he was saying the day before.  And that gets people to pay attention to him.  Love him or hate him, you have to give him some kudos for what he does.

Some of the most biting criticism has come from Dakich.  He is a former player with a fairly big megaphone in the largest market in the state.  He does way more damage to the IU brand on his daily show than any knucklehead fan on Twitter or a message board.  And the thing about him, is he says this stuff and you don't really even know if there is conviction behind it.  He slams the coaching staff and then slams the fans for slamming the coaching staff.  I at least prefer the earnestness of fans having an opinion over a talking head cynically putting a finger to the wind to see how to get listeners....

Outstanding post.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IUDan93 said:

I would go so far to see that he is definitely our best offensive player.........when he is going right.

And therein lies the problem with IU basketball right now. I like Green and I don't mean this as a shot at him, it's not his fault, but if Devonte Green is your best offensive weapon your team is not good. Devonte Green is a role player that can get hot, but at this level, if Devonte Green is your best offensive weapon that's a problem. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

And therein lies the problem with IU basketball right now. I like Green and I don't mean this as a shot at him, it's not his fault, but if Devonte Green is your best offensive weapon your team is not good. Devonte Green is a role player that can get hot, but at this level, if Devonte Green is your best offensive weapon that's a problem. 

He should be our Vinnie Johnson of the Bad Boys.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He should be our Vinnie Johnson of the Bad Boys.

To an extent, though beyond his own skill, part of what made Vinnie Johnson so good was that he played behind guys like IT and Joe Dumars. That goes back to my point. Beyond the X's and O's, substitutions, strategy, etc., IU needs more talent. Devonte Green would be a fine player behind a backcourt with two studs leading the way. When he gets hot your elite, when he's not hot you're still damn good. That's not the case right now, IU needs Green to be an offensive leader, he can do that from time to time, but he's not good enough to carry a team over a long stretch, certainly not a season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rico said:

LOL.  Yes, her real life son was/is the Greatest American Hero...who also played Paul Drake, Jr, in quite a few Mason movies.  William Katt.

Paul was cool for sure...as was Paladin...I prefer Josh Randall.  Now McQueen was cool.

"Have gun will travel reads the card of a man."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

To an extent, though beyond his own skill, part of what made Vinnie Johnson so good was that he played behind guys like IT and Joe Dumars. That goes back to my point. Beyond the X's and O's, substitutions, strategy, etc., IU needs more talent. Devonte Green would be a fine player behind a backcourt with two studs leading the way. When he gets hot your elite, when he's not hot you're still damn good. That's not the case right now, IU needs Green to be an offensive leader, he can do that from time to time, but he's not good enough to carry a team over a long stretch, certainly not a season. 

That was where I was agreeing with you because right now he needs to be our Isaiah but he would be better as the micro wave.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That was where I was agreeing with you because right now he needs to be our Isaiah but he would be better as the micro wave.

Gotcha. At the end of the day, IMO, the biggest issue is talent. That doesn't mean I'm obsolving Archie, especially as he's responsible for the talent. I also think this team is better than how it's performed and that falls on Archie, as well as his inability to get the team to play hard consistently. But realistically, most of the guys on the current team are not guys that would be playing featured roles on really good, legit Big Ten contending teams. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Gotcha. At the end of the day, IMO, the biggest issue is talent. That doesn't mean I'm obsolving Archie, especially as he's responsible for the talent. I also think this team is better than how it's performed and that falls on Archie, as well as his inability to get the team to play hard consistently. But realistically, most of the guys on the current team are not guys that would be playing featured roles on really good, legit Big Ten contending teams. 

Agreed and that is really the conundrum. Archie's been able to get guys in the 80-150 range, plus Romeo (one year) and TJD (hopefully at least 2). But we lack guys in the 30-80 range that are really needed. But if I'm in that category and also being recruited by MSU or Louisville, it's a hard sell for IU. Talent is needed to win and winning attracts talent. With the gauntlet that is the Big Ten, it is a slog to climb the ladder. It's much easier at the moment in other conferences to show progress. There are only three Big 12 teams and four ACC teams with a winning conference record. B1G has seven plus two more at .500. Do I sign up for the potential of being at the back of the pack and missing the NCAAT if I have options with programs that are already winning at higher levels?

It's like Nebraska or Arkansas in football. You can hire and fire coaches repeatedly, but until something changes the momentum, you're irrelevant.

Archie's at a very challenging crossroads. Does he continue to follow the plan, with the type of players he's been getting, or is there pressure to go for the quick fix with several transfers/jucos etc, taking a risk on character/chemistry. That would require creating some space. too.

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Agreed and that is really the conundrum. Archie's been able to get guys in the 80-150 range, plus Romeo (one year) and TJD (hopefully at least 2). But we lack guys in the 30-80 range that are really needed. But if I'm in that category and also being recruited by MSU or Louisville, it's a hard sell for IU. Talent is needed to win and winning attracts talent. With the gauntlet that is the Big Ten, it is a slog to climb the ladder. It's much easier at the moment in other conferences to show progress. There are only three Big 12 teams and four ACC teams with a winning conference record. B1G has seven plus two more at .500. Do I sign up for the potential of being at the back of the pack and missing the NCAAT if I have options with programs that are already winning at higher levels?

It's like Nebraska or Arkansas in football. You can hire and fire coaches repeatedly, but until something changes the momentum, you're irrelevant.

Archie's at a very challenging crossroads. Does he continue to follow the plan, with the type of players he's been getting, or is there pressure to go for the quick fix with several transfers/jucos etc, taking a risk on character/chemistry. That would require creating some space. too.

Basketball takes 2-3 players to turn around a program/momentum.  Issue is - is there a system in place to implement the players.