Must Win For the Hoosiers Tonight.

jojo123

Here we are again. Late February, barely clinging to any tourney hopes. Do the players have the fortitude to win on the road with a compatible opponent. Have they learned anything in three years? When they miss a few shots will they drop brows and sulk or will they buck up and pound the gophers on defense? Should be interesting. 

We have shown who we are over the last four years are more. We don’t have enough talent to be consistent. We have one outstanding player, one player that still has and upside in Hunter. The rest are bench players for most other schools in the Big Ten. More then anything I have been disappointed in our recruiting over all. Not being able to fill glaring needs! 
Archie has no one he can go to an say get us going. It is also something he has failed to recruit. So it’s hard to think we will win this game. 
I love recruiting Indiana kids get as many as you can! They have got to be able to play at this level though. Let’s go get talent where ever it is. No more play ground talent! Basketball talent please! 

A late start game at The Barn + no evidence that this team can win anything on the road, and I'm not feeling very confident. I just don't sense that this team or the coaching staff understands what's hanging in the balance. No tournament appearance for four years and no improvement in Archie's three years (by any metric) has an impact beyond just this season and Archie's tenure. We're about to lose half the fan base if we don't make this train. 

2 hours ago, jojo123 said:

Here we are again. Late February, barely clinging to any tourney hopes. Do the players have the fortitude to win on the road with a compatible opponent. Have they learned anything in three years? When they miss a few shots will they drop brows and sulk or will they buck up and pound the gophers on defense? Should be interesting. 

The must wins are the home games and first round (or two) of BTT.  Tonight's game would require an almost legendary upset to win, not sure you want to go in expecting that.

17 minutes ago, bobtcat2 said:

The must wins are the home games and first round (or two) of BTT.  Tonight's game would require an almost legendary upset to win, not sure you want to go in expecting that.

No it won't take a huge upset because UM is 12-12 over all and 6-8 in the big ten.  I still don't see how two teams from the same conference where the 12-12 team is rated a lot higher than a 16-9 team.

Agreed. This is absolutely a must win. I really hope we don't see the lack of assertiveness and energy that we've been seeing. These guys need to remind themselves of what's on the line here. They're capable of making the tournament, so they should do everything in their power to make it happen. That starts with showing some emotion and actually playing and for once. Hopefully Archie shows up tonight. 

For those who don't know, Minny's floor is elevated.  It's a hard place to play, especially for freshman.  Players have a 2-foot drop behind them.  It's uncomfortable, and throws off shots.  The bench chairs are oddly low, too.  Players aren't used to watching a game that way.    

Of course, if it throws off shots, maybe that means ours will go in for a change.  😀

Here's a video of Wisconsin practicing sliding off the court.  I thought that was good coaching. 

https://www.thebiglead.com/2015/03/06/wisconsin-freshmen-practiced-sliding-off-minnesotas-raised-basketball-court/

6 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

For those who don't know, Minny's floor is elevated.  It's a hard place to play, especially for freshman.  Players have a 2-foot drop behind them.  It's uncomfortable, and throws off shots.  The bench chairs are oddly low, too.  Players aren't used to watching a game that way.    

Of course, if it throws off shots, maybe that means ours will go in for a change.  😀

Here's a video of Wisconsin practicing sliding off the court.  I thought that was good coaching. 

https://www.thebiglead.com/2015/03/06/wisconsin-freshmen-practiced-sliding-off-minnesotas-raised-basketball-court/

Remember a long time ago Mackey arena floor was a little raised and the bench was floor level.

29 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Worst place to play or coach a game in my opinion. Still awesome old venture and it's always cool to coach at any D1 facility.  Vanderbilt is close to being as bad IMO

9 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Josh Newkirk falling off court in 2017

screen-shot-2017-02-16-at-11-57-59-am.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

5 minutes ago, Hard Hat said:

I wake up very early for work.  That being said I won’t be going to work feeling like crap again this year.  Going to get some rest and check the score in the morning.  Fool me once...

I get up at 6:30 and will still be up watching at 11:00 our Hoosiers

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

No it won't take a huge upset because UM is 12-12 over all and 6-8 in the big ten.  I still don't see how two teams from the same conference where the 12-12 team is rated a lot higher than a 16-9 team.

I get that, but Minnesota is around 30 in kenpom.  I don't think this will be a blowout but with the way the road games have gone I'd call it an upset.

6 hours ago, Madison22 said:

It's a pretty cool place to see a game, if you haven't had the chance (and it means going to Minnesota in the winter, so ...). Has kind of an Indiana high school basketball feel to it. 

10 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Anytime you’re going up against little Ricky you have a chance.  That said Gophers by 15 tonight.

I think he's the worst coach in the B1G, but with IU's penchant to show zero mental toughness and very little effort on the road, I'd have to agree with your prediction.

Archived