NCAA to allow instant eligibility for transfers (?)

DWB

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quote: I can see it now.  A coach changes jobs and takes his entire roster with him.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me thinks that "might" be an un-intended consequence....but not out the realm of possibility, especially for the top players.

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

I'm not for it but these coaches are getting paid millions of dollars and can jump ship and the kids are just left there standing holding the ball

I think if a coach leaves then the player should be allowed to leave without sitting out.  Transfers are already out of control and now if you allow this more kids will transfer and it will just be like free agency every year. It will be hard for coaches to put a good roster together and they won't know year to year who is on the roster until into the summer.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think if a coach leaves then the player should be allowed to leave without sitting out.  Transfers are already out of control and now if you allow this more kids will transfer and it will just be like free agency every year. It will be hard for coaches to put a good roster together and they won't know year to year who is on the roster until into the summer.

Agree.  Like I said.  It would totally kill the small conferences.  

CAM would/should/could go recruit all the Mac, horizon, and mvc top players.  Hoiberg will have contenders every year with this.  Adapt to survive or die.  

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Agree.  Like I said.  It would totally kill the small conferences.  

CAM would/should/could go recruit all the Mac, horizon, and mvc top players.  Hoiberg will have contenders every year with this.  Adapt to survive or die.  

I find myself watching some of the other smaller conference games looking for guys who might be a grad transfer candidate.

Geez.  When's it all going to end ?  First they allow freshman to play varsity ball. Then they institute the shot clock, and take away the four corners offense.  Next comes the three point line. And then they move it further back. Next, they will be allowing players to get paid.  And now they will allow players to transfer without sitting out one year ?

Seriously, the game continues to evolve, like it or not.

4 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Again we are left with the conundrum of: fair for athletes vs. overall sustainability of a perceived "level playing field" for college basketball.

Wouldn't this be like a non compete clause that other industries have for employees.  In some industries a person can't work in that same field for a certain amount of time so couldn't a transfer rule be the same thing.

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Geez.  When's it all going to end ?  First they allow freshman to play varsity ball. Then they institute the shot clock, and take away the four corners offense.  Next comes the three point line. And then they move it further back. Next, they will be allowing players to get paid.  And now they will allow players to transfer without sitting out one year ?

Seriously, the game continues to evolve, like it or not.

We have to live with but I still don't like it.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I find myself watching some of the other smaller conference games looking for guys who might be a grad transfer candidate.

Done it.  I go through the scoring and top shooter lists and loom to see if they are Jr or sr and if they have ever been injured or srs with only 3 years for whatever reason.  

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Wouldn't this be like a non compete clause that other industries have for employees.  In some industries a person can't work in that same field for a certain amount of time so couldn't a transfer rule be the same thing.

Eventually will come back to this. Are or will NCAA athletes be treated as employees. If they want to get paid for their likeness....that will be followed by treating them as employees, subject to taxes, etc....and potentially non competes. 

This link touches on it. https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/legal-and-compliance/employment-law/pages/college-football-player-is-not-ncaa-employee.aspx 

You'll notice the question remains are student athletes employees and that still remains undecided according to the courts who ultimately will decide all of this. 

There are so many other things that prohibit the kids I'm fine with one time transfer. Up to the coach and school to promote/foster a culture where kids don't want to leave. In terms of the smaller schools getting the shaft because star players will want a bigger stage? Sorry. Way of the world. Not saying I agree or disagree with that but if a kid works his tail off at ABC Small School and gets a chance to play on the big stage and be rewarded for his efforts....so be it and good for the kid.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

But a college athlete is not an employee because they don't' get paid by the university. Even if they get paid on their NLI; they are not getting paid by the university. Wasn't Wisconsin trying to block a transfer from going to a Big Ten school a few years ago? This couldn't be held up legally. 

I'm sure a university could put in a non compete clause for a coach. But I'm no lawyer. 

One side of me says college basketball could be hurt by this because it will be like free agency. Another side of me says if the coaches can come and go as they please then why can't the athlete? We know athletes get promised many things while being recruited. What happens when these promises never come to fruition? What if the coach that recruited them leaves? What if they are homesick? What if they don't get the playing time? Right now, they are forced to lose a year eligibility....I'm not sure that is the right answer. That said, I'm not even sure if there is a 'right' answer. Life is filled with many gray areas....and so are college athletics. (Understatement of the year). 

13 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

But a college athlete is not an employee because they don't' get paid by the university. Even if they get paid on their NLI; they are not getting paid by the university. Wasn't Wisconsin trying to block a transfer from going to a Big Ten school a few years ago? This couldn't be held up legally. 

I'm sure a university could put in a non compete clause for a coach. But I'm no lawyer. 

One side of me says college basketball could be hurt by this because it will be like free agency. Another side of me says if the coaches can come and go as they please then why can't the athlete? We know athletes get promised many things while being recruited. What happens when these promises never come to fruition? What if the coach that recruited them leaves? What if they are homesick? What if they don't get the playing time? Right now, they are forced to lose a year eligibility....I'm not sure that is the right answer. That said, I'm not even sure if there is a 'right' answer. Life is filled with many gray areas....and so are college athletics. (Understatement of the year). 

To play devil's advocate, one could argue that they are being paid by the university in the form of tuition, room, and board.  To me, for income purposes, this would be similar to having to declare a company provided vehicle used for personal purposes as taxable income.  And in many instances, the annual value of that tuition, room, and board is greater than what many graduates make at their first job (i.e. a first year teacher).

Like you, I'm not a lawyer, and have no idea how it would play out if schools tried to treat scholarship athletes as employees.  I'm old school when it comes to this stuff and disagree with it, the athletes are compensated in the form of free education, and the more the NCAA moves away from that, the less enjoyable it becomes for me.  I like watching players come to IU and grow and develop over 3-4 years and having that sense of connection.

39 minutes ago, HoosierTownie said:

To play devil's advocate, one could argue that they are being paid by the university in the form of tuition, room, and board.  To me, for income purposes, this would be similar to having to declare a company provided vehicle used for personal purposes as taxable income.  And in many instances, the annual value of that tuition, room, and board is greater than what many graduates make at their first job (i.e. a first year teacher).

Like you, I'm not a lawyer, and have no idea how it would play out if schools tried to treat scholarship athletes as employees.  I'm old school when it comes to this stuff and disagree with it, the athletes are compensated in the form of free education, and the more the NCAA moves away from that, the less enjoyable it becomes for me.  I like watching players come to IU and grow and develop over 3-4 years and having that sense of connection.

It really doesn't matter because i'm reading that every state enforces non-compete clauses differently. So the hypothetical simply is not possible. 

And guess who doesn't force any non-compete clauses? California. NLI and now this??  haha. They're going to get all the athletes! 

If they aren't considered an employee then I dont see how a non complete agreement would do anything.

The first job I had, I had to sign one and it said I couldn't work for a competitor within 200 miles.  After some research before signing I found it was most likely unenforceable since it would interfere with my ability to earn a living if I wanted to go somewhere within that radius. But it was awhile ago so things could have changed. 

With one thread about Coaches around the NCAA on the hot seat and this thread about immediate eligibility.  Which players from teams about to lose coaches would be attractive to add to IU?  I watch a lot of Texas.  Coleman, Ramey and Sims would interest me if they decided to leave. None of them are from Texas.  

Archived